Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The story of lot 403 - Sorry this set is not for sale. Post of the year 2007

Comments

• Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Wow you guys...

This is the best post I have ever read on here.

I agree that this story would make a great display!

In addition it is an excellent idea for an exhibit for the museum someday; "Coin Collectors" or "Coin Collections" maybe.

If you would like to donate it please get in-touch with me and I can send you the paper-work. No pressure ;-)

Robin Sisler

ANA Museum Collections Manager
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options

<< <i>he hair on the back of my neck is standing on end, my eyes are beginning to water >>

Yep....same here.....Thanks.
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Nice Set of Lincoln Pennies - $81 + 15% Buyers Fee
    A thread like this - Once a Year (Maybe)
    To continue another's man legacy - PRICELESS!!!

What a post! I LOVE this place!!!
  • Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Robin,

I would love the information, I decided about halfway through the day when I read the "rest of the story" that the set will never truely belong to me, it belongs to the collecting public, and knowing it would be on display for other collectors to see and hear the story of Bobby would be a great tribute to him. Please send me the information on how to donate this set to the museum.

Tim
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this is collecting at its best. I bet he is happy you have it, Was ment to be. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    All in less than 12 hours on the forum. Amazing! image
  • Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979

<< <i>Wow you guys...

This is the best post I have ever read on here.

I agree that this story would make a great display!

In addition it is an excellent idea for an exhibit for the museum someday; "Coin Collectors" or "Coin Collections" maybe.

If you would like to donate it please get in-touch with me and I can send you the paper-work. No pressure ;-)

Robin Sisler

ANA Museum Collections Manager >>

WOW!!!!, anybody not moved by the possibilities of this story has no soul. Incredible post with hopefully a message and a collection that can be shared forever
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Post of the Year sentiments. This is what collecting is all about. I was choked up going through the thread, especially when I saw the photos with the handwriting on the 2x2s. A set of Lincolns that were a lifetime full of work. Wow!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    JustMakesCentsJustMakesCents Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    TTT for the morning crew.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    What a great thread and a tremendous story. This is easily the best post I've ever read here or anywhere.

Thank you for taking the time to share it.
  • Options
    Well written and touching story. My hat is off to TexasT.

• Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    The old fella probably needed the money to help stretch his social security check, or maybe cover the cost of some pills Medicare didn't cover. He probably cried having to give up the one source of joy in his life.
    I bet if someone at the rest home would read this thread to him, he'd feel a lot better about the sale.image
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Truly awesome post. Bravo. This kind of thing reminds me why I collect.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Story -- glad to see the collection made it way to you. image
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    And to think the person before you stripped the set of what he thought were its most valuable offerings. I'm glad you saw its real value.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Tex I can relate to your story on so many levels and thanks for sharing it with us.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    this post just restored my image of the hobby....
    this is the anti-Ebay, anti-CAC, anti-Modern-Flip, anti-First Strike thread, totally PRO COLLECTOR, PRO HUMAN.
    A+++++
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

"Thank you" to Tex and Jeff for bringing us this wonderful story. Bobby is in Heaven smiling down on you for giving his collection the respect it deserves. He sounded like a real collector for sure. Now THIS is what coin collecting is all about!
  • Options
    Very nice. Thank you for sharing. This is the part of coin collecting that I like. The personal story behind the little round pieces of metal.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I learned a valuable lesson this week from a man I never knew, he reminded me that there was a time when grading companies did not exist, words like Choice, Brilliant and Gem were the terms used to describe Uncirculated Coins, and the slabs of the day were cardboard 2x2’s. No eBay, or online auctions, if you wanted to buy a particular coin you looked through your pocket change, traded with other collectors at a club meeting, or went to your local coin dealer.

Bobby, I want you to know that you did a wonderful thing for collectors, you reminded us by overcoming adversity, and keeping the hobby pure by doing what most of us old time collectors seem to have forgotten. Collect for the joy of it, work on your collection, and learn to grade for yourselves and over time you can build a true legacy set.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    TTT for those who missed this the first time around
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a truly amazing story. I agree that this IS what collecting is all about. I am glad that someone kicked it up today for me to read this.
  • Options
    What a fantastic story. And glad you went to pb.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A beautiful post. Great value,

is not always measured in dollars.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    this truly is one of the best threads I have read on the forum.

Thank you very much for sharing it image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>this truly is one of the best threads I have read on the forum. >>

I have noted that persons with bad judgment are most insistent that we do what they think best.
  • Options
    Awesome story, lot 403 should never be sold.imageimage
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this to the top. I was aay when it first posted and would have never seen this great story.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing!!
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    worth a TTT
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story, thanks for the bump image
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post deserves a Pulitzer. Flat-out, a remarkable man you are Texast.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I'm sorry I missed that the first time through. Very neat story!
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I have tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat.

Good on you TexasT, my hats off to You Sir, and to Bobby as well.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Thanks for the Bump! Didn't want to miss this!

• Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    It is a great story, I too am sorry that I missed it the first time. Great collection.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though I read this before, it was well worth reading again in its entirety. Sometimes it is personal stories like this that put things into perspective, to define what the hobby is truly about. When I look over the past 35 years of serious collecting, I remember the "other" aspects of the hobby: the friendships made, the shows, the discussions - these are things which have more "value" than the coins themselves.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You painted a lovely picture Texast, i'm actually welling up a bit.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had missed that part about the set being donated to the ANA museum. That would be a nice touch -- this is truly what "collecting" is all about.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    wow- I am speechless at reading this post I missed it the first time. The history is immense and seeing a small snap shot of a collector just like many of us are over time is a real privilege. It makes a person sad on one hand but also happy as well because a lot of us can relate to that collector in the most basic ways. He has passed on but a part of his collection remain and hopefully still being progressed.
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this post back around. I'd not seen it before either. Very, very cool...
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    Wonderful and sad story at the same time. To think that perhaps all he had left after his wife left him was his hobby.
    Andy
  • Options
    How very appropriate that "The story of lot 403" has been revived. There is a current thread that asks, "what was the best post ever?" This one's got my vote.
  • Options

<< <i>How very appropriate that "The story of lot 403" has been revived. There is a current thread that asks, "what was the best post ever?" This one's got my vote. >>

Very moving - best ever.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How very appropriate that "The story of lot 403" has been revived. There is a current thread that asks, "what was the best post ever?" This one's got my vote. >>

yes, best post by a mile
  • Options
    Thanks, it just doesn't get any better than this.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited for Jeff.
  • Options
    eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I remember reading this story the first time through and haven't forgotten it. I am glad it has been ttt'ed as I couldn't recall the key words to search it.
    This is probably my very favorite post of all time.
  • Options
    I remember that story during my lurking days otherwise I would have commented by saying thats one if not the best post I have ever read here.

Great job Tex.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file