Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oh please!!!!

gonzergonzer Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "coin" is not in any way a genuine 1922 No D cent. Date style is incorrect, plus a few other problems.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The "coin" is not in any way a genuine 1922 No D cent. Date style is incorrect, plus a few other problems. >>

You got it right Rich, it's a fakie.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    its funny, he touts that he has 100 % positive feedback so bid with confidence when in reality he has 98.3 %.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a thread about this coin a while back...I guess they're still trying to sell it...WAY fake!

--Christian
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    " View the scans and judge for yourself. I'm not a coin grader but I've been dealing with coins for years and I grade them by my opinion only."

Ok, if the seller says so. I judge it as a fake.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Fake...haha lamination my ass
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No hold on a second. My take is that it is a lacquer coin with the center pealed off, not a lamination split like he describes. Note that luster in the IGWT lettering...Could be a decent coin after dipped in lacquer thinner or acetone. But I would not gamble that high to find out.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No hold on a second. My take is that it is a lacquer coin with the center pealed off, not a lamination split like he describes. Note that luster in the IGWT lettering...Could be a decent coin after dipped in lacquer thinner or acetone. But I would not gamble that high to find out.

WS >>

Regardless, it's either fake or altered.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    whatever it is, it's not a real lincoln cent.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    A little off topic of the coin but thought it was funny. Same seller closed auction.

Titanic

A few I beams some salt a little time and I can finally start on my St. Gaudens registery set image
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Prior to 1970 a genuine 1922 no D was very rare and almost impossible to find.
    During the 1970s they were showing up everywhere and obvious fakes. During the
    1980s many of these were certified, graded and slabed by the emerging grading services.

The coin has been mis-labled as a variety or a type when in fact it is an ERROR coin. In die repair the Denver Mint
    polished the MM off one or more of its working dies while waiting on new dies from the Philly Mint.

The 1922 no D is best avoided. As an error coin it has no place in a pure Lincoln collection.

• Options
    Actualy it's a very cool coin.

I'd call it Lincoln in disguise with that fake beard and what appears to be sunglasses. I'd offer him $1.19 for it if postage was included. Too bad it's the 16th could use it as an icon, but then again he's the type that would sue for infringement.

OB
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His response to my inquiry as to authenticity.......

took it to anacs at the show in west palm. They want me to send it to be tested. Didnt know for sure until they have it weighted etc. thank we weight it and it was correct weight. Laminate was caused by oil on die. Let who ever wants to certify it. When certified it will be worth its weight in GOLD
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Look at the feedback 98%
    Look at this, if you look down the feedback! .

CROOK ALERT !Sent different fake coin and refuses to make good. A CROOK! bobbie2die4 ( 284) May-08-07 18:51
    Reply by wartex (May-09-07 05:12):
    COIN DEALER WHO THREATENS YOU WITH FBI IF IF YOU DONT REDUCE YOUR PRICE.SCAM

1909 S VDB MS 64+ RED (#270104752421) US $1,995.00 View Item
    Never give up the hunt!
    25 inf 1/14 Gold Dragons ,never surrender, over come and adapt
    and hold at all cost!
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    "When certified it will be worth its weight in GOLD"

Then why is he selling it for over $1,000?
    Mark
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Here is another 1922 no D. Claims to know nothing about coins, but found this rare coin!

E-bay link
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>His response to my inquiry as to authenticity.......

took it to anacs at the show in west palm. They want me to send it to be tested. >>

That is because under the new owner, ANACS no longer gives verbal opinions at shows. All coins have to be submitted. I guarantee you the people at the ANACS table would know at a glance that the piece was fake, but under corperate policy they can't say so. They have to tell you that you have to send it in. So taking it to the ANACS table means nothing.
  • Options
    pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Ebay has about 20 of the 1922 no D on auction at any given time.
    In a slab or raw --- are they genuine???????

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    That is laughable......there is absolutely no way that 'token' is real! It looks like what I like to call the 'Angry Abe' repro's you can find on eBay at any given time, like these:

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    He can call it whatever he wants...lamination? huh?? where???

It won't change the fact that the lettering is all wrong, the numerals in the date are too fat and too squished together, the letters in 'Liberty' are also way too fat and squished together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file