Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like watching a train wreck. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final Words: I know you will have a wonderful experience with my auctions. I provide some of the best customer service you will find on ebay. I ship fast, and you will receive your coin in a timely manner. I don’t add charges to shipping, you pay exactly what it costs me to ship. I encourage you to give my auctions a try, I am sure you will be satisfied!!! Chris Schuck

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's up there in price, isn't it ?
    At least he gives his name.

Joe
  • only $700 return fee.
  • and a 20% restocking fee - so even if the poor sap returns it, at the current bid it will cost him/her $700 just to look at the coin... makes you wonder how some of these sellers can sleep at night....
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a Morgan expert here guys. Is that one of those replica proofs and they scratched off the word "copy" that was supposed to be next to the Eagle's wing?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and a 20% restocking fee - so even if the poor sap returns it, at the current bid it will cost him/her $700 just to look at the coin... makes you wonder how some of these sellers can sleep at night.... >>

Simple eBay math to live by: "restocking fee" = "no bid"

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a Morgan expert here guys. Is that one of those replica proofs and they scratched off the word "copy" that was supposed to be next to the Eagle's wing? >>

No, it's a genuine coin. No evidence of scratching off, but also, you can just see how badly the fields have been messed with. Look near any of of the devices and you can see the spots they couldn't hit.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that in the very small print, the seller states "Feedback: I am proud of my 100% positive feedback."
    but Ebay shows "Feedback: 99.4% Positive".
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • In his very small fine print, he also mentions he is very proud of his 100% feedback! I think he needs to recheck his math.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not a Morgan expert here guys. Is that one of those replica proofs and they scratched off the word "copy" that was supposed to be next to the Eagle's wing? >>

No, it's a genuine coin. No evidence of scratching off, but also, you can just see how badly the fields have been messed with. Look near any of of the devices and you can see the spots they couldn't hit. >>

OK. WOW, that is obvious now that you point it out. Someone is about to get an ugly lesson in life and ebay continues to protect these crooked sellers by withholding bidder IDs

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I always worry about a seller when the only lighting he can find for his photos is the amber bulb of his turn signal.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • That's a painful (and expensive) lesson.
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I always worry about a seller when the only lighting he can find for his photos is the amber bulb of his turn signal. >>

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I like the way all the stars an stuff are hilited for better viewing for us discriminating collectors.

• It says right on the 2x2 it is worth $400,000! Sounds like a deal to me. Anybody notice all the junk around the stars and letters? You would think he would have at least epoxied the hairlines out of it first.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epoxy would bodybag it.
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    I feel sorry for the winning bidder. That is so obviously messed with it isn't funny. Artificial prooflike surfaces. image
    aka Dan
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Someone going the need CPR when they receive that jewel.image
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decades ago some "dealers" would process Morgan Dollars in a manner that would give the fields a mirror look and the devices a frosted look. At first glance they look STUNNING. but as soon as you look at it a little closer, they look just like the referenced coin here. I had a couple of them and used them for show and tell.

It's a mighty expensive lesson on a $15 coin...

Oh, check out this closed auction, altered date 1914 D Lincoln
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • plansimplansim Posts: 185 ✭✭
    The remnants of the polishing compound are still clearly visible among the stars and other devices.

The fields look like pretty good though...I'd guess 000 or better grade steel wool was used.

On a related note, did you know that you can buy 6000 grade sandpaper? I saw it in a marine store. Felt smoother than silk to my untrained fingers. image

<< <i>Final Words: I know you will have a wonderful experience with my auctions. I provide some of the best customer service you will find on ebay. I ship fast, and you will receive your coin in a timely manner. I don’t add charges to shipping, you pay exactly what it costs me to ship. I encourage you to give my auctions a try, I am sure you will be satisfied!!! Chris Schuck >>

I guess getting Schucked isn't just for corn any more.
  • I read through his feedback, he likes the 1884-S.
    Similar coin
    Link
    “Twenty years from now you’ll regret more the things you didn’t do than those you did.” Mark Twain
    Check his closed auctions! Altered date and mint mark coins. He he sold a 1854 O $5 gold as a 1854 C. What a thief!
    1854 C
    1914 D
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i>

<< <i>and a 20% restocking fee - so even if the poor sap returns it, at the current bid it will cost him/her $700 just to look at the coin... makes you wonder how some of these sellers can sleep at night.... >>

Simple eBay math to live by: "restocking fee" = "no bid" >>

I actully like this part of the auction fine print the best:

I have a no questions asked 7 day return policy. You have 7 days to ask me for a return, starting on the day when your package is received and scanned by your post office. (This date is found by checking your delivery confirmation number.) All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee based on the final price of the auction. (This is the only way I can stay in business.) I will only accept your return if the coin is in the original 2x2 that I sent to you. The coin must be in the original condition that it was when I sent it to you.

But this is my favorite line:

All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee based on the final price of the auction. (This is the only way I can stay in business.)

With that said the following is a great business plan for roaches:

1 - Buy 10 high end coins that have been obviously doctored at a very cheap price.
    2 - Take pictures using only the parking lights on your car. (TMed by morganbarber in post 13 of this thread)image
    3 - Sell as the best and rarest coins one can buy on ebay. A true opportunity of a lifetime!image
    4 - Charge a 20 percent restocking fee on all coins. Which should net about $800-$1500 per coin.
    5 - Repeat process twice a month until ebay closes you down!image
    6 - If you average $1100 per coin that's $22,000 a month net!
    7 - About $14,000 profit after fees!image
    8 - Darn it! I have ethics.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

<< <i>Check his closed auctions! Altered date and mint mark coins. He he sold a 1854 O $5 gold as a 1854 C. What a thief!
    1854 C >>

This auction is a great example of keyword spamming, too: "1854 C $5 Gold Half Eagle MS 63 Key Date PCGS Quality"
  • No one mentioned that this coin has a misplaced mintmark. It's too small and too high, unless there are MM varieties of this date that I am unaware of. It looks to be the Elmer's variety.

• << <i>7 - About $14,000 profit after fees! >>

What fees? If he returns it don't you get your FVF back? (How do they handle that when you only return 80% of the money?) Now there will be the listing fee, and the 2.9% paypal fees (You could get around that if you refunded through paypal, but that is an all or nothing refund and you can't keep the 20%. So to add insult to injury, instead of refunding through paypal, you send him a paypal of his 80% and he gets stuck with paying 2.9% for his 80% refund.), and extra photo fees because he isn't smart enough to use a photohost and put the image codes into his listing, but that shouldn't be anywhere close to dropping a $22,000 per month to $14,000. Not to mention that some of the junk will actually stick with the buyer.
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    >>>>>>>>>>> Wednesday July 11, 2007 9:39 AM (NEW!)

<<

<< and a 20% restocking fee - so even if the poor sap returns it, at the current bid it will cost him/her $700 just to look at the coin... makes you wonder how some of these sellers can sleep at night.... >>

I have a no questions asked 7 day return policy. You have 7 days to ask me for a return, starting on the day when your package is received and scanned by your post office. (This date is found by checking your delivery confirmation number.) All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee based on the final price of the auction. (This is the only way I can stay in business.) I will only accept your return if the coin is in the original 2x2 that I sent to you. The coin must be in the original condition that it was when I sent it to you.

All returns are subject to a 20% restocking fee based on the final price of the auction. (This is the only way I can stay in business.)

1 - Buy 10 high end coins that have been obviously doctored at a very cheap price.
    2 - Take pictures using only the parking lights on your car. (TMed by morganbarber in post 13 of this thread)
    3 - Sell as the best and rarest coins one can buy on ebay. A true opportunity of a lifetime!
    4 - Charge a 20 percent restocking fee on all coins. Which should net about $800-$1500 per coin.
    5 - Repeat process twice a month until ebay closes you down!
    7 - About $14,000 profit after fees!
    8 - Darn it! I have ethics.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That doesn't even factor in the possibility of someone with little knowledge not returning the coin. I think the bidders must not have much knowledge or they wouldn't be bidding.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if that re-stocking fee of $700 would hold up in a PayPal claim? I have a hunch that since the seller is lying about the coin, PayPal would find in favor of the buyer.

Russ, NCNE
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    That is pathetic.

Quoting the seller, "I cannot guarantee that this coin has not been cleaned." Accounting for the double negative, this runs close to saying "I guarantee that this coin has been cleaned."
    I brake for ear bars.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coin were good and what it says it is, it would be a $30k to $50k+ coin. Yet someone thinks they're going to get it for $4500.

And it's not like it's in some small junk shop or garage sale out in the sticks somewhere.

It's on the largest auction website on the planet--where millions of buyers around the world are looking at the 100,000+ current US coin auctions.

It isn't "accidentally" mistakenly labeled as an 1884-O or some other $60 widget. It isn't mistakenly listed in the "Exonumia" category or some other far corner of the eBay map.

It's not a BIN, it isn't closing at 3:00 am on a holiday. For better or worse, the coin is listed by its correct date and mint mark, in the US Coin-Morgan Dollar category, and the seller acknowledges that is is a "key date", "highly coveted", "rarest and most valuable".

The coin is certainly--and badly--doctored.

The "restocking" fee is ridiculous and clearly indicated.

The seller has negative feedback from a month ago (just one page back in his feedback), warning of harshly cleaned coins.

There are a dozen screaming bright red flags all over this coin, the auction, and the seller.

Despite all of this, any one of which would make a sane, logical buyer pause and reconsider, someone somewhere thinks they've found their golden ticket. They're chuckling and excitedly watching the auction end as visions of sugar plums dance in their heads.

Greed and stupidity or at best indifferent ignorance are driving the buyer to buy this coin.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Reminds of an incident in our shop about 2 years ago. A well heeled (or so he looked) man came into the shop with a gold coin he bought of ebay in some bogus slab graded MS65. I forget the coin, but a true 65 was worth in excess of 100K. He asked our opinion and would we send it to PCGS. The coin was an obvious counterfeit, yet he insisted he wanted PCGS's opinion. We gave him the paper work and let him send it in, as I wanted nothing to do with it. He told us he bought it on ebay for only $11K and thought he made the rip of the century.

He wound up almost getting a little hostile because we told him he was the one that got ripped. We told him to SEND IT BACK!, but he insisted that we were wrong and that pcgs would slab it. Turns out the guy is a well respected doctor in town, and yep, the coin came back "Not Genuine".

I doubt he ever got his money back....
    "Do I have any coins? Well I'm glad you asked. I've got a roll of 1950-something wheat pennies over there you can have. I collect the steel pennies from the war, but I don't want those. They're all bright red and the writing and date on them is all jumbled up and doubled. Gives me a headache trying to read them. Gimme a couple bucks and they're yours".

That's different. That's asking the right question in the right environment. Using knowledge, understanding a relatively obscure reference. Maybe traveling miles out of your way, talking with people you might not see otherwise. Brain, knowledge, footwork, energy, effort.

But thinking that you're getting the deal of the century on a correctly labeled, correctly listed (if terribly altered) coin on eBay? How about taking some responsibility for knowing what you're willingly blowing $4000 on?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    A great example of two people trying to screw each other over simultaneously, nothing more, nothing less. It is quite a common practice on eBay in case nobody's noticed.

<< <i>

<< <i>7 - About $14,000 profit after fees! >>

What fees? If he returns it don't you get your FVF back? (How do they handle that when you only return 80% of the money?) Now there will be the listing fee, and the 2.9% paypal fees (You could get around that if you refunded through paypal, but that is an all or nothing refund and you can't keep the 20%. So to add insult to injury, instead of refunding through paypal, you send him a paypal of his 80% and he gets stuck with paying 2.9% for his 80% refund.), and extra photo fees because he isn't smart enough to use a photohost and put the image codes into his listing, but that shouldn't be anywhere close to dropping a $22,000 per month to $14,000. Not to mention that some of the junk will actually stick with the buyer. >>

Brain fade, my bad you right!image

So it's $21,400 profit after paypal once he collects his fvf back!
    Best Regards,

Rob

<< <i>>>>>>>>>>>> Wednesday July 11, 2007 9:39 AM (NEW!)

<<

<< and a 20% restocking fee - so even if the poor sap returns it, at the current bid it will cost him/her $700 just to look at the coin... makes you wonder how some of these sellers can sleep at night.... >>

2 - Take pictures using only the parking lights on your car. (TMed by morganbarber in post 13 of this thread)
    3 - Sell as the best and rarest coins one can buy on ebay. A true opportunity of a lifetime!
    5 - Repeat process twice a month until ebay closes you down!
    7 - About $14,000 profit after fees!
    8 - Darn it! I have ethics.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That doesn't even factor in the possibility of someone with little knowledge not returning the coin. I think the bidders must not have much knowledge or they wouldn't be bidding. >>

Keeping the coins screw up the business model. image

Remember 6 returns on a quarterly basis are better than 1 sale with final value fees!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Just watch, I wouldn't be surprised if that coin sells at the close for more than $6K!
    “Twenty years from now you’ll regret more the things you didn’t do than those you did.” Mark Twain
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Kills me that people will bid on this stuff. I actually list some pretty nice coins on EBay and they usually don't sell for what they should.

• << <i>Brain fade, my bad you right!

So it's $21,400 profit after paypal once he collects his fvf back! >>

So,. . . . . . . . . Still got ethics? image

Yeah me too. Darn it.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The image of the eagle's right wing tells the whole story. The coin has obviously been whizzed. Too bad this guy is taking the low road. I bought a raw 1882 Proof seated dime from him last year that was properly presented on eBay. Not sure what happened with the seller since then.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• That coin went for $6,300 to some guy who deals in computer parts and seeds!
    Is it too late for someone to email the winning bidder and tell him not to pay? Surely against eBay policy, and he may in fact be a shill anyway. But now that we know who he is, we could contact him and tell him not to pay, or to go through PayPal and/or eBay and try to save his sorry, greedy butt.

If we were nice, that is.
    --Severian the Lame
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom Line:

This is eBay.....who in their right mind would buy a raw coin for $6K????????????????????????????????????

I'm Done here!!image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    And the coin went whizzzzzzeeeeeedddddd all the way home.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

<< <i>Is it too late for someone to email the winning bidder and tell him not to pay? Surely against eBay policy, and he may in fact be a shill anyway. But now that we know who he is, we could contact him and tell him not to pay, or to go through PayPal and/or eBay and try to save his sorry, greedy butt.

If we were nice, that is. >>

I just sent the note below:

FYI, before you pay for that 1884-S,

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=596082

<<<<End Note>>>>>

I hope he realizes the issues with the coin. Does anyone have an idea of what this coin is truly worth?? I am not a whizzed/cleaned Morgan expert so I am just curious?

I know I had a 1926-S Lincoln last year that I sold on ebay. It had some spots, was whizzed and cleaned but it looked MS64RD in the photos I took. After full disclosure on ebay of it's condition, I ended up selling it for $55.

Just a little lower than the current $15,000 book value. image
    Best Regards,

Rob

I just received this response back from the winner:

I never figured it would ever grade ms66. Everything on ebay is over graded. I read the forum you mention. oldcameoproofguy mentions that the mint mark is too small and too high if so then it is not genuine as advertised. Not to worry. I paid with discover, so I am not too worried about the money Just a lot of hassel....rwphill

It sounds like he is pretty aware of what he is getting.
    Best Regards,

Rob

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got a bargain. The coin is priced at $400,000 on the holder.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file