Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Books?

I've noticed that hardly anyone ever mentions coin books they've recently acquired, articles they've read and books they would like to buy.

What's the deal? Do most coin people simply have no interest in books and reading?

Some books I have that have really pleased me are The Mercenaries Guide to Rare Coins, a book by Bowers on how to become a coin dealer and just about anything else written by Bowers.

So, what books or articles have you read or own that really floated your boat?

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Merenaries Guide.... dated, but insightful.

Just picked up Vol.1 of the Cherry Pickers Guide. Amazing.

The Roman Empire from Severus to Constantine for background on my 3rd Century Roman collection.

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading Q. David Bowers' The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing In Rare Coins
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    The most used books in my library are from the David Lawrence "Complete Series", with the possible exceptions of Dr. Sheldon's "Penny Whimsy", and Breen's "Complete Encyclopedia". I have the "complete guides" to Seated Liberty Half Dimes, Seated Liberty Dimes, Seated Liberty Quarters, Shield/Liberty Nickels, Barber Dimes, Quarters, and Halves plus Walking Liberty Halves. These should all be in print, with updated info if I had my druthers.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    I wrote a thread on a couple of occasions asking what was the best reference book to own on Morgan dollars. Just never pulled the trigger and posted either of them.

So, now I am asking.

What do you folks recommend as the best on Morgans?

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wrote a thread on a couple of occasions asking what was the best reference book to own on Morgan dollars. Just never pulled the trigger and posted either of them.

So, now I am asking.

What do you folks recommend as the best on Morgans?

When I collected Mogans 20 years ago Wayne Miller's "Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook" was without peer. Other books on this subject by Dean Howe, Les & Sue Fox, and Alan Hager were a waste of time or a chuckle. Has anything in Morgan books changed since 1987 (other than pricing?)
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen many threads addressing coin books, those acquired/read, asking for recommendations, promoting upcoming publications. I often search for threads when considering a book purchase.. good reviews help my decision. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Heritage auction catalogs. Some of the best reference material around.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the deal? Do most coin people simply have no interest in books and reading? >>

Believe it or not, given the choice between a coin and a coin book, I prefer the coin book. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i> Books? >>

Yes, I have many. It wouldn't be worth my time posting that I've just bought another Red Book, or the like. But I have picked up a couple cool old books lately...

United States Pattern, Experimental and Trial Pieces by A. Kosoff (seventh Edition) printed in 1982. I bought this for $1.00 at the ANA Book Sale. Just a nice reference.

Mint Record and Type-Table United States Coins by C.E. Green printed in 1936. I bought this also at the ANA Book Sale, but this time it only cost me $0.27. There's some really neat references in here, like (6) 1913 V-Nickels, an 1804 Draped Bust Half Dollar was reported, and a few more that I don't recall.

That's it for now.
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I'm a firm believer that "knowledge is power" and read anything I can get my hands on relating to my collecting speciality (fractional currency). Some of my favorite fractional currency related references are pictured in the threads linked below:

Fractional currency catalogs.

Fractional currency reference books.

Like most currency collectors though, I started in the hobby by collecting coins and still maintain a decent coin related library. Some of my favorite general numismatic titles include the "ANA Centennial Anthology," Bower's "United States Coinage," and Crosby's "Early Coins of America."

RJ
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I haven't sat down and seriously read a coin book in over a year. I have several I have barely looked at bought years ago, kind of ashamed to admit that but finding the time seems hard these days.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I just bought "100 Greatest Coins" from a forum member and two others from Amazon.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just bought "100 Greatest Coins" from a forum member >>

I have that one too. It's a good book.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Much to my great surprise I acquired the below Browning book and also found a nice Kolbe Auction Sale 52 catalog.
    Although the Browning book is clearly unrelated to Middle Date Large Cents I have always liked the edition and
    could not resist - now need to get a nice large Bust Capped Quarter to go along with the book.

A little off topic but am having the Robbie Brown and Jack Robinson Superior catalogs bound in full black morocco
    w/ gilt edges and with Zimbabwe silkscreened Black Cave Painting endpapers and Indigo Blossom endpapers respectively.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adrian - I cash in most of my roll-searching change at Coinstar for Amazon gift certificates and search the few local used books stores - I'm still building a basic library. Also bid on a dozen or so in the coming Lake Books mail-bid auction. I'm still reading the basics and general stuff, not too deep into any specialty books yet. These are the ones I've picked up in the last 6 months or so:

History of the US Mint and Its Coinage - Lange
    The Denver Mint 100 Years of Gangsters, Gold, and Ghosts - Turner & Field
    Looking Through Lincoln Cents - Daughtrey
    The Experts Guide to Collecting & Investing in Rare Coins - Bowers
    Bunch of Redbook Guides: United States Paper Money, Washington & State Quarters, Shield & Liberty Head Nickels, Buffalo & Jefferson Nickels, Flying Eagle & Indian Head Cents, Morgan SIlver Dollars.
    Cherrypickers Guide V2
    Dozen or so recent general collecting books (NY Times, blackbooks, etc)
    Few used general collecting books from the 70's & 80's

Plus the standards: Redbook, ANA Grading, PCGS Grading, Photograde, Charlton & other Canadian references, Few Krause World & Token books, etc.

I did a review for the Denver Mint book this week because it was new and no threads on it yet (Plus, someone in PMs was looking forward to that review), but most of these are older, and been talked about with dozens of threads, so when I read them, I usually don't make new threads. The Denver Mint review post only got a few replies (the normal book readers for the most part), but I got a dozen PMs too, so I know people are reading, even if they aren't posting about them.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    RTS, who are you using to bind your books? I have a coverless House of Rep. report from the late 1800's that I'd like to have covered, but I have no idea who to contact for such work.

RJ
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    RTS, who are you using to bind your books? The Harcourt Bindery in Boston did this...

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i have many books and enjoy reading them. just another tool for me as a collector.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Bust Half Fever by Edgar E. Souders is a great book to read if you are a bust half lover.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the ANA Library yesterday, I saw the new 2nd edition of Jorge Emilio Restrepo's book on Columbian coins. It's absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to get a copy for my own library.

Of Lightside interest, I just received a nice original bound set of Mason's Coin & Stamp Collectors Magazine (1867-70) from the last Kolbe auction. For roughly $300, it's hard to imagine a better numismatic value.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    new one for me that is very interesting:

"The Venus Numismatics Dictionary of Artists, Designers, Modellers, Engravers, and Die Sinkers whose works were commissioned by or struck by the United States Mint 1792-1977" (yeah, long title). Author is Francis Pessolano-Filos. I think this is the third book in my library by this author.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    The Complete Guide to LINCOLN CENTS by David W. Lange
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I have most every book related to my specialty, but I get the most enjoyment from and spend the most time reading old auction catalogs.

There is no better way to see what is actually 'out there', what's really rare, what isn't, etc. then to see what has been sold in the past, how it was described and what it sold for.
  • Options
    It's not strictly a numismatic book but my latest was Krugers Men: The Secret Nazi Counterfieting Plot and the Prisoners of Block 19..

I already had Bryan Burke's book on Operation Bernard which covers the Nazi's counterfeiting project of British Pound notes from a more numismatic viewpoint, but this book approaches the topic from more of a military and personal point of view. It does have some interesting information on how the notes were produced and the equipment used that doesn't appear in the Burke book, but it also give more information on Operation Andrew and the personal and political reasons for the program. It also give much more information about the men themselves who were actually forced to make the counterfeits, The various skills they brought to the program (Only one of the 119 prisoners was actually a counterfeiter by trade. Surprising since the Germans had all of the "Interpol" records at their disposal where they could have searched out other counterfeiters, but they specificly decided not to use the records.), their struggle for survival, the problems they overcame, and a more detailed account of the evacuation of the concentration camp, the journey to the final location, how fate intervened to save the men from their final liquidation and the circumstances of their liberation by the Allies. It also covers in more depth the steps taken in preparation for the counterfeiting of US currency as well.

The book also touches briefly on proposals by both the British and the Americans to create counterfeits of the German Reichmarks including serious discussions in the White House and the arguments against it put forth by the Treasury and Federal Reserve.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I use Overtons bust half varieties book, Judds book on patterns, Bowers complete encyclopedia of silver dollars, and Bowers Red book on liberty and shield nickels almost every day.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    ??????????

The Mercenaries Guide to Rare Coins, a book by Bowers on how to become a coin dealer and just about anything else written by Bowers

???????????

I read Mercanaries, but mine had slabs shades and guns on cover written by homerunhall ( a member here)

I have been trying to get Bowers 1971 softcover on becoming a coin dealer but they always go for more than I want to pay on PayBay

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resplandores: Mexican Cap and Rays 8 Reales 1823-1897.......by Dunigan and Parker
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My latest is an 1834 report to congress, an original 1834 printing by Gales and Seaton. This is a fascinating report of 116 pages describing the US and world state of affairs for gold and silver coinage. An excerpt "It is not so with gold and silver, brought to the market as money; they are not intended for consumption, but for permanent use, to be added to the existing stock of money; and this peculiarity contributes essentially to maintain great uniformity in its value."
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I am currently reading two books.

"Kruger's Men" that was previously discussed here and Betts' "American Colonial History Illustrated by Contemporary Medals".

I have many interests.

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    We just bought quite a few
  • Options
    Any opinion on the Coin Collector's Survival Manual by Scott A Travers?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my recent books purchases would be considered off-topic and worthy of discussion on the darkside

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>At the ANA Library yesterday, I saw the new 2nd edition of Jorge Emilio Restrepo's book on Columbian coins. It's absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to get a copy for my own library.

Any idea of where to find a copy of Restrepro's book?
    ...AlaBill
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any opinion on the Coin Collector's Survival Manual by Scott A Travers? >>

don't have that one...........what does it focus on?

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Scott Travers' The Coin Collector's Survival Manual focuses on how to go about being a successful coin collector - he has chapters on how to buy coins, how to sell coins, the grading services, coin shows, coin periodicals, price guides, etc. The fifth edition was recently published, but the fourth edition would probably be just as useful.

If you're a beginning (or even a reasonably experienced) collector, I highly recommend this book.

It's the one book I wish I had read before I got back into collecting in 1992!

Personally, right now I'm poring over the pre-Civil War Annual Reports of the Mint and then I'm going to move on to things like Niles' Register, Hunt's Merchants' Magazine, etc.

edited to add: here's a tid-bit about gold dollars from the 1859 and 1860 Annual Reports

Don't forget about board member Roger Burdette's Renaissance of American Coinage! The first two volumes (1905-1908 and 1916-1921) are already available and the third one (1909-1915) should be available in a year or less, I think.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm currently reading Q. David Bowers' The Expert's Guide to Collecting & Investing In Rare Coins >>

I just read that one meself. Great reference book as well as a good read.

In the past year I've read Strike it Rich with Pocket Change, by Allen and Potter, Confederate Paper Money, by Criswell, Washington and State Quarters by Bowers, The Experts Guide...by Bowers, and How to Make Money in Coins...by Travers.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I read Mercanaries, but mine had slabs shades and guns on cover written by homerunhall ( a member here)

True. Somewhat of a bizarre cover but still a good book.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I love the coin books. I wrote a bunch of reviews, too. If you put in "book review" into the seach engine, they will come up.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file