Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1968-70 Kenwood Plaza Johnny Bench

redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know if this card has ever been cataloged? PSA will not grade it. I cannot find any reference to this set anywhere. This is very similar to the 1968-70 Partridge Meats set. Kenwood Plaza is a shopping center in Cincinnati, OH. I have two of these cards that are in NM condition.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Phil

Kenwood Plaza Johnny Bench

Comments

• i have a bench kenwood also
    dont know if any others in set
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    armour larry,

I have never seen another card other than Bench with the Kenwood designation.

There is a store in Cincinnati, OH, that has a Shillitos Johnny Bench that is identical to the Kenwood Plaza and Partridge Meats design. They have it in their in-store museum and is not for sale.
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I thought I would through in my example of the Perez Partridge Meats and the respective Shillito card. I have been turned down a couple of times on getting the Shillito card graded which I think is also from 1972.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

Awesome photos Kevin. I have never seen the 1972 Partridge Tony Perez before.

Phil
    Phil

Thanks, I wish I could find an upgrade to my PSA 5. Tough to find and I have not seen one in several years. My understanding on the Shillito Perez was they were given out during an appearance Perez made in the store(s). I suspect the Bench may be a similar issue but do not know.

Thanks
    Kevin

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Wow what a nice "rare " card. I could find nothing in the books that I have. The only items that I have that are simular at least in hard - to - find, but PSA will not grade is "some" 1975 Clarence Mengler's Baseball Best. Interesting set , but defintely an odd-ball set.

Thanks for sharing your card. Sonny (calaban7)
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • hi
    want to sell the partridge perez?
    sflayank@aol.com

<< <i>hi
    want to sell the partridge perez?
    sflayank@aol.com >>

I sent an email in response to your message.

Here is a picture of the 1968-70 Johnny Bench Partridge Meats so you can see the similarity to the Kenwood Plaza card.

Phil

1968-70 Partridge Meats Johnny Bench psa 8
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    are all of these cards licensed ? I think plays a part in whether psa will grade them

<< <i>are all of these cards licensed ? I think plays a part in whether psa will grade them >>

packCollector

I had the same thought but the Perez Partridge does not have the Reds logo cap which would indicate to me it is not licensed but it is graded. On the other hand the Shillito card does have the logo which might indicate licensed (cannot tell for sure) but PSA will not grade it. I think it has as much to do with if the card is catalogued or not. In this case the Partridge Meats cards are catalogued and the Shillito is not.

• I have a Johnny Bench Kenwood that was recently graded by BGS. although they originally mislabeled it, since corrected.

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@armyguyindestin said:
    I have a Johnny Bench Kenwood that was recently graded by BGS. although they originally mislabeled it, since corrected.

Gotta pic?

Andy

• It is a safe deposit box. I could get a pic next week and post it. BGS originally labeled the card as a Kahn's with additional details. I contacted BGS and informed them of the error, I sent the card back and had the label corrected.

• There are actually at least 4 cards of the similar variety 68-70 Partridge Meats, Kenwood, Shillito and Jamesaway Trucking. I know a Bench collector who has all 4 of them. One of the card stores in Cincinnati has a Shillito on display but not for sale.
    The pictures are all the same, the advertising panel on each is different. There might be a fifth one that I missed out on during the Moeller Show in Cincinnati this spring. I believe it may have a local elementary school advertising on it. I am going to National in an attempt to find one of more of them $$$$$.

• This should be pictures of the four cards that I am aware of.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to snag the Jamesway Trucking and the shillito's. You just never see them for sale.

• Andy, Sorry for no pic yet. Just sent some cards off to be graded. When I get them back in 2 weeks, will get pictures of all and specifically the graded Kenwood's for you to see. I just picked up a second one at National. I hope it grades several levels above the 4.5 I currently have.

• Andy, here is the Kenwood I picked up at National

• Just got off the phone with PSA. They did not grade four items I recently sent in: 1969 Louisville Slugger Advisory Board Photo, 1971 Uniroyal Premium 8.5x11, 1972 Reds Color Photo Pack B and 1974 Topps Puzzle Test Set. I did see that two items I will be sending in the next few weeks: Rawlings Advisory Photo and Jack Gilligan - "Go Big Red" Bench/Rose cards will both be graded based on population reports. Some items are just not possible to grade. I guess it will save me money.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@armyguyindestin said:
    Just got off the phone with PSA. They did not grade four items I recently sent in: 1969 Louisville Slugger Advisory Board Photo, 1971 Uniroyal Premium 8.5x11, 1972 Reds Color Photo Pack B and 1974 Topps Puzzle Test Set. I did see that two items I will be sending in the next few weeks: Rawlings Advisory Photo and Jack Gilligan - "Go Big Red" Bench/Rose cards will both be graded based on population reports. Some items are just not possible to grade. I guess it will save me money.

Bummer about not grading that 71 Uniroyal Premium. I thought for sure they would grade that one. Any reason given why that would not grade it?

• Not enough data on it. I was very disappointed in the result. I switched to PSA because of disappointment with other grading companies. I guess now my gripe is with grading in general. I know it is tough for them dealing with a collector who is as specific (Johnny Bench only) as I. I and others like me know more about our Bench items then grading companies. In my view they are unwilling to do the research required. It is a hiring and cost issue I am sure. My new process will be to check population reports and if no previous gradings are present, I will not waste my time sending an item for grading.

I have been turned down by PSA before on one of the 1970's Reds picture pack sets. I may send my 1970's Johnny Bench Homeplate restaurant postcards to SGC at some point. PSA won't grade it but I noticed it was on the SGC population report. I wish I could send in the Shillitos for grading but I don't have any guide reference material to accompany the card.