Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So I'm at the post office...

shipping coins that I sold on ebay. I've never told the guy what I'm shipping, but he somehow figured it how (the return adress is "Goldeneye Numismatics," so he porbably figured out what numismatics is). He told me:

"I just got back from a USPS training session. It's a new policy that we do not insure coins. We do not consider them to be merchandise, and therefore refuse to insure them."

I was pissed, since I'm very uncomfortable shipping coins without insurance. I've had bad experiences with it before.

So now I no longer ship coins. I ship historically significant bullion image

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a new policy that we do not insure coins. >>

WHA???? Seems a bit lame.

• Options
    That's BS
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    NH484000NH484000 Posts: 591
    Wow that is scary!

So, if I understand correctly-- If one wants to send coins via USPS, no insurance.

What, we just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best?

If the coins become lost we are all S.O.L.?

(shaking head in disbelief)
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show a USPS regulation stating such. That's what I would have asked for.
    My mother asked me what to tell her USPS branch when she sends the 20th Annv SAE set to me to sell for her....I said that they shouldn't ask, and if they do, you are just sending collectibles. I also made her insure it and make sure that it requires me to sign for it.

The USMint considers coins to be merchandise, since they sell them, and they are also sold in retail establishments, so I will take the USMint over the USPS anyday image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Just address your stuff "GN" from now on and don't tell him what's in it.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    It's lame, I agree. As long as your post office doesn't know what your shipping, though, you shouldn't run into any trouble.
  • Options

<< <i>It's lame, I agree. As long as your post office doesn't know what your shipping, though, you shouldn't run into any trouble. >>

What about when your package is lost, you file a claim, prove value and they say the insurance was not valid because it was a coin.
  • Options

<< <i>It's lame, I agree. As long as your post office doesn't know what your shipping, though, you shouldn't run into any trouble. >>

Once while at the post office to ship some coins out to PCGS for submission, (through a dealer) I was asked what I was shipping. I told the guy that they were "artwork samples".

Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    I usually say they are machine parts, but I guess I've been found out
  • Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064

<< <i>

What about when your package is lost, you file a claim, prove value and they say the insurance was not valid because it was a coin. >>

My thoughts exactly. This is going to be problematic. Doesn't UPS and Fedex refuse to insure coins also? How are coins to be shipped safely? I guess I'll have to start using the private insurance companies and let USPS miss out on the income.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What about when your package is lost, you file a claim, prove value and they say the insurance was not valid because it was a coin. >>

My thoughts exactly. This is going to be problematic. Doesn't UPS and Fedex refuse to insure coins also? How are coins to be shipped safely? I guess I'll have to start using the private insurance companies and let USPS miss out on the income. >>

No missing out. Now they can steal them and not have to pay for it.
  • Options
    What about all the coins PCGS mails out after grading/slabbing? Are those insured by a private company or the USPS?

(side note, 100th post coming next, I smell a giveaway!)
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    I was just there and all they ask was liquid, explosive...etc....no questions regarding the amount...

For all it's worth you could be sending origional documents that have a historical value.

Big City or Small town PO?

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess I'll have to start using the private insurance companies and let USPS miss out on the income. >>

Does anyone have info on who offers this type of insurance?? and what kind of rates they charge?
    On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭
    I just searched http://www.usps.com and could find nothing on this.
  • Options
    BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064
    << I guess I'll have to start using the private insurance companies and let USPS miss out on the income. >>

<<Does anyone have info on who offers this type of insurance?? and what kind of rates they charge? >>

I haven't used one yet, but I remember reading about it a while back. I believe I found some information on the ebay message boards pointing to a couple websites. You can buy it per shipment or in package deal if you are shipping regularly to get somewhat better rates. It seemed to be about the same or less expensive than USPS rates from what I can recall. Google "private shipping insurance" and you will get some options.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just there and all they ask was liquid, explosive...etc....no questions regarding the amount...

For all it's worth you could be sending origional documents that have a historical value.

Big City or Small town PO? >>

town of roughly 20,000 people
  • Options

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Unless this becomes a universally practiced rule and you file a claim and try to collect after the fact.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    I would urge you to not use any words referring to coins in your return address or anywhere else on the envelope for that matter. It's like advertising for a thief.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    There is no such "rule."

Postal clerk gave wrong information.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would urge you to not use any words referring to coins in your return address or anywhere else on the envelope for that matter. It's like advertising for a thief. >>

I even remove indications on the shipping address. For example, something like Anaconda Rare Coins would be shipped simply as ARC.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thinks the Postal clerk is confused by this...

4.3 Nonpayable Claims
    Indemnity is not paid for insured mail, Registered Mail, COD, or Express Mail in these situations:

r. Negotiable items (defined as instruments that can be converted to cash without resort to forgery), currency, or bullion valued in total at more than $15 per shipment sent by Express Mail, except under 4.2c..

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The key word is they won't insure "coin" not "coins". If you try to send a guy $100 in quarters that you got in change - you can't insure that.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The next time that clerk says something like that, I would suggest you print out, highlight, and give him or her this:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/609.htm

The pertinent part of that link is the following:

"4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following:"

"g. Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers. " >>

BINGO! Hope this puts this to rest. We've had threads on this subject before. I think the idiot clerk who gave you the false info should be told. It will be interesting to hear his/her reply.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would anyone today put numismatics or coins shop or rare coins on the return address. That is like advertising steal me. Did anyone ever notice when a batch of graded coins come back from PCGS the return adress line is simply CU.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is no such "rule."

Postal clerk gave wrong information. >>

Gosh, I am SO surprised. I've had one post office telling me that the way I pack coins is incorrect, while another will happily accept the exact same package. Given the salary level and job qualifications for the job I doubt that postal employees are exactly legal eagles on their own regulations.
  • Options
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Another thread that makes me glad that my post office is staffed by people who actually know what they're doing.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would urge you to not use any words referring to coins in your return address or anywhere else on the envelope for that matter. It's like advertising for a thief. >>

I even remove indications on the shipping address. For example, something like Anaconda Rare Coins would be shipped simply as ARC.

Russ, NCNE >>

even the word ANACONDA can scare some people....
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I think its also time to stop using those bubble envelopes by themselves for shipping. I usually put a coin in one of those, then in one of the small free priority mail boxes. But what other option is left? UPS? Good luck with them! Maybe everything should just be sent registered.

AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    ddinkddink Posts: 2,748
    The clerk is an idiot. Tell him to read the Domestic Mail Manual.

Every single time I go in to send registered mail with signature confirmation, they argue with me and tell me the two can't be combined. I politely tell them to see what options the computer gives when the scan the registered label, and sure 'nuff, sig. confirmation is there. I can't believe the postal workers aren't even embarassed by the fact that their customers know more about their services than they do!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    basestealerbasestealer Posts: 1,579
    I think the clerk was wrong. But, if he wasn't wrong, I would caution against lying about what's inside the package, because if you do need to file a claim they will see the reciept and know exactly what it was, and then they won't honor it anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>Every single time I go in to send registered mail with signature confirmation, they argue with me and tell me the two can't be combined. >>

I have that problem almost every time I ship something registered. Several times I have had to ask to speak to a supervisor in order to mail my package.

One time, after having the conversation with a clerk about combining registered mail and signature confirmation, the clerk refused to accept my package for registered mail because a small portion of the corner of the package was not covered with brown tape. I saw a huge roll of brown tape behind the counter and asked her if I could use some. She said no. I asked her why they had the tape behind the counter. She said it was for the Post Office's use only. At this point I asked for the clerks name and asked to speak to a supervisor. This prompted the clerk to bring the tape to me. After I taped the corner of my package. I ended up getting back in line so that I could deal with a different clerk-- and ended up having the discussion about combining registered mail with signature confirmation a second time.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and ended up having the discussion about combining registered mail with signature confirmation a second time. >>

Why bother with signature confirmation. Register Mail must be signed for each time it changes possession from you till it gets to whoever you are sending it to. And yes that is how they catch the few thieves in the system.
  • Options

<< <i>Why bother with signature confirmation. >>

PayPal requires signature confirmation on items worth more than $250.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    When I've shipped coins in the past, I used u-pic insurance. The rates we very affordable. I had to sign a contract because they wouldn't do a per transaction rate to get the coin endorsement. The cost was about half that of the USPS, but I had a min monthly charge of $20. Plus, I didn't have to do any special paperwork as I just set my endicia shipping to record the transaction using u-pic and it would send my monthly report to u-pic. I never had to file a claim so I can't say how they were on claims. One thing, there were a couple of zip codes which were excluded from coverage. I don't recall off hand which they were, but I guess they were high crime areas.

As for postal clerks, for the most part, they do not know the rules and often give you bad advice. I've had they try to charge me for the eDelivery confirmation on priority mail (which is free). When you do anything out of the ordinary, they don't know what the rules are. I can't even tell you the hassles I've had when I've shipped guns by mail before. (And yes, it is legal, but only under certain situations.)

Lastly, never lie about what is in the package because you are only looking for trouble when you try to make a claim. My advice is to be very specific and that would work to hide what is in the package. For example, rather than saying coins, say ASE 20th set, or 1963 MS63 Franklin. For the most part, if you are super specific, hardly anyone will know what it is.

-Fuzz
    Why is it, "A penny for your thoughts," but, "you have to put your two cents in?" Somebody's making a penny.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This topic seems to come up regularly.

The clerk was actually right... in a narrow specific instance. It is TRUE that if you took a hand full of coins (change from your pocket) and sent it insured in the mail.... the insurance would only cover the face value if at all (since it sounds like they now may consider them not insurable at all, if you are foolish enough to send change through the mail).

However, bluespaceant provided the key reference. They DO insure collectible valuable coins.

The confusion comes from the inexperienced postal workers.... who are just told that 'coins' are not insurable.... they take it that that refers to ALL coins, although it really only refers to the pocket change type of coins. It's not really the postal workers fault.... they just do not get clear training on this subject.

Another one that I run into trouble with some inexperienced postal workers... is when I use registered mail. When you declare the value and pay the fee for registered mail, that includes insurance (up to 25,000 or so). However, some clerks are not clear on this, and think you need to purchase insurance on top of the declared registered mail fee amount.... over double what the total fee should be! Again, it is a matter of training, and the regulations do not make it very clear.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    These are not coins but collectibles the same as some hummel or baseball card or whatever. I think the clerk was blowing smoke and I would surely demand to see the postal regulation stating that they do not insure coins!

Some clerks at the PO really like to lay a power trip on their customers which is really beyond my understanding. Just today, I shipped a roll of IKE dollars and insured it for $100 and even told my favorite clerk what it was. She said nothing in regard to the "new policy" and as a matter of fact, she knows full well that I mostly ship and receive coins. She;s known this for years.

If there was such a policy, she certainly would have let me know by now................. If I were the OP, I would have a return address of G.E.N. and never would I ship anything where there was a clear indication of what was inside. Nuff said!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭

<< <i>The next time that clerk says something like that, I would suggest you print out, highlight, and give him or her this:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/609.htm

The pertinent part of that link is the following:

"4.1 Payable Claim
    Insurance for loss or damage to insured, registered, or COD mail within the amount covered by the fee paid or within the indemnity limits for Express Mail as explained in 4.2 is payable for the following:"

"g. Fair market value of stamps and coins of philatelic or numismatic value, as determined by a recognized stamp or coin dealer or current coin and stamp collectors newsletters and trade papers. " >>

I like this one:

<< <i>Cost of bees, crickets, or baby poultry destroyed by physical damage to the package or delay for which the USPS is responsible. (In the absence of definite evidence showing responsibility for death of these insects or animals, the USPS is presumed to be at fault if 10% or more are dead on delivery, and pays indemnity for all dead bees, crickets, or poultry; if less than 10%, the USPS is not presumed to be at fault.) >>

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I would have asked to have the Postmaster come over and explain it to me and show me the regulation together with the original clerk. The PM might realize he has a dumb ass working for him.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Use "Registered Mail" for anything of high value!

I get more GRUMPY when I see some ebay item arrive and it says anything about coins on the package! If you get some small items (not much over the ins cost) without insurance and it says coins on the package it's just asking for trouble.

I once got a brick of cents, the mail-lady joked and said "wow that's heavy, whats in it" I told her it was a box of 2500 washers. Why tell them anything else?
    Ed
  • Options
    I read this post at my illustrious lunch hour- called the wife - who was not home, but tried her cell- she was at the PO- asked her to chat with the clerk a moment about shipping coins and insuring them- I heard the clerk say- you can ship/insure anything you want as long as it is not an explosive device, a weapon of mass destruction or any material that can be considered a threat to our nation.

Clerk asked wife why she asked- told her that she sells old coins from time to time via ebay- and a rumor is being spread that the P.O. will not insure such items- asked how rumor got started- wife sez- hubby belongs to a chat group and one person had a problem with a postal clerk telling that person its a new rule-

clerk said bull shilt! This I heard over the cell!!

now GN- go back to the clerk and ask to see this new ruling and if the idiot can't produce- ask for the PM and explain what the jerk told you - odds are he is a thief and is about to rip you off.

I truly HATE a thief worse than a liar, even though the 2 are not separated by much.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>shipping coins that I sold on ebay. I've never told the guy what I'm shipping, but he somehow figured it how (the return adress is "Goldeneye Numismatics," so he porbably figured out what numismatics is). He told me:

"I just got back from a USPS training session. It's a new policy that we do not insure coins. We do not consider them to be merchandise, and therefore refuse to insure them."

I was pissed, since I'm very uncomfortable shipping coins without insurance. I've had bad experiences with it before.

So now I no longer ship coins. I ship historically significant bullion image >>

You should have immediately asked to speak with the Postmaster.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    I love going to my PO, once in a while the clearks comes up with policies just like this oneimage
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file