Home U.S. Coin Forum

1877 Indian Cent, real or fake

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
Something is wrong here... The N on the reverse is not right, the denticles on the obverse look a little to sharp... Is it a corroded proof? Counterfeit? Rick Snow where are you??

Link
I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FAKE, how could the obverse be sooooo corroded and the reverse is normal......does not make sense to me
    and the second 7 looks very off. FAKE
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    It sure doesn't look right, does it.

Proof 1877
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That sure is an ugly coin!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Sure looks fake to me.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a definite FAKE. The reverse die characteristics are all wrong. For example, on genuine 1877 IHCs, the N in ONE is weak. This one is as strong as can be.
  • Ditto - buyer beware - fake and not even a good fake...
    Spare your best friend's life!! Adopt an adult dog at your local "kill" animal shelter. You will be changed.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Fake, and a bad one:

* The date style isn't right; the digits are too big and not aligned properly for the date;
    * The reverse has a bold N, and authentic business strike 1877s have a shallow N reverse;
    * The obverse denticles are hammered from 10:00 to 1:00, which are usually weaker on authentic 1877 IHCs;
    * Type 2 obverse on a Type 1 date.

Trust me: You don't need Rick for this one. It's as bogus as they come.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe after re-tooling the 7 they did something to hide it, that dark goo is to hide the re-tooling.
    Ed
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭
    FAKE.

Has anyone contacted the seller &/or eBay?

Q: Hi. Is this coin authentic? I am going to send it in to get slabbed. Thanks, John
    A: We guaranteed everything we sell

Return policy: Return policy not specified.
    Read item description for any reference to return policy.

Can't find the return policy (duh), but they do say, WINNING BIDDER WILL RECEIVE THE COIN(S) SHOWN

Somehow that's supposed to make us feel better I guess.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on IHC, but I know enough about the 1877's characteristics to steer clear of that one!
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    The feather tip points between C and A in America. That style did not come out until 1886. That alone condems it to being a fake/altered coin. Proof 1877 indian cents did have a strong N on the reverse.
    Tom

• pb2ypb2y Posts: 1,461
    Ask for a better photo. Nothing can be determined????????????

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Fake! All genuine pieces exhibit significant weakness on the right leg of N in "ONE" on the reverse.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    Here is mine. Look at the N in One on the reverse. It's the easiest way to tell.

Dennis

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The feather tip points between C and A in America. That style did not come out until 1886. >>

Good catch TJ ... somebody call out the posse ... all the way fake

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 573
    Fake,,,,,,,,,,,
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The feather tip points between C and A in America. That style did not come out until 1886. That alone condems it to being a fake/altered coin. Proof 1877 indian cents did have a strong N on the reverse. >>

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    i agree that its Fake by first seeing the feather tip position

Now its up to 395 with 12 hrs to go for some poor soul that doesnt know anything about them image
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The feather tip was a good catch. I was busy looking at the reverse N and the the obverse denticles...
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

<< <i>The feather tip was a good catch. I was busy looking at the reverse N and the the obverse denticles... >>

That's what I meant by "type 2 obverse on a type 1 date."
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be fake. This is being sold by a Power Seller with good feedback and 9 years on ebay. He guarantees all his coins.
    He adds that this is a good investment and will never go down in value. Run Forest run.

I emailed the seller but obviously to no avail.....they're power sellers.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Up to $430. image
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i agree that its Fake by first seeing the feather tip position

Now its up to 395 with 12 hrs to go for some poor soul that doesnt know anything about them image >>

Did someone report this fake to eBay?
    I know, it is a holiday weekend and typically they are very slow on holiday weekends, but they might invalidate the sale.
    It's also interesting the timing of the sale (a holiday weekend).

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭
    16 bidders. Yikes.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • looks like someone took the good advice given here to start your good scammer auctions on a holiday weekend so that ebay has a hard time ending them. image
    I see the seller did let the questions get on the listing. I hope he does not accept payment from poor BIDDER X.

One odd thing about the coin (other than being fake) is that being a type 2 reverse would mean that if it was retooled they had to retool the entire date since type 2 obverse coins also have the curved not straight date (type 1 date). If someone was going to retool one it would be easier to start with an 1875 and tool the 5 into a 7.

On a cast or spark errosion fake it seems that it would be logical to copy a real 1877. Has anyone seen if those fakes had the type 2 obverse?

Just makes me wonder how this was made, if someone could retool the entire date? Maybe that's why it has goo or corrosion on it to hide a lot of tooling. Seems like a lot of retooling.

Any ideas from the experts?

Ed

<< <i>One odd thing about the coin (other than being fake) is that being a type 2 reverse would mean that if it was retooled they had to retool the entire date since type 2 obverse coins also have the curved not straight date (type 1 date). If someone was going to retool one it would be easier to start with an 1875 and tool the 5 into a 7. >>

I would think the entire date was redone, most likely. This isn't a simple alteration of an existing Type 2 date. It looks like the entire existing date on a Type 2 coin (1886-1909) was obliterated and then re-worked into the finished product.

Also, not all "type 1" dates have a straight-across date. As far as the bronze pieces go, from 1864-1871 and 1882-1886, the date was curved. (In 1881 the date was odd, somewhere in between straight and curved. It looks like the engraver was drunk with the punch.) Only the 1872-1880 dates were straight across. The 1872-73 dates were very small and the 1874-80 dates were considerably larger.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's going to snipe it ?

One Hour to go ~

HE>I

<< <i>Who's going to snipe it ?

One Hour to go ~ >>

Hope "Bidder 8" bought some Vaseline at the store this weekend, unless they are lucky enough that a sniper bails them out. In which case, I hope the sniper has a tube on hand.
    Yep if Bidder 8 read the comments he's probably hoping to be outbid!
    Ed
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold for $430. Somebody is NOT going to be happy...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file