Home U.S. Coin Forum

Notlogical meets Eric P. Newman (CoinHusker too)

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are some pics from St. Louis.

The first is Notlogical meeting Eric P. Newman at the awards banquet. Notlogical won an award for an article on the Cheerios Sacagawea
Dollar. Way to go!

Next we have Notlogical and CoinHusker (Proud dad) with me at my table

This is a picture of Cape doing the Treasure Hunt. (Cape sounds like he's from Cape Cad or something.) He was sitting across from me, so I just snapped the picture to show the kids having fun.

Next is a show shot. Notice Cliff Mishler at the right. Please vote for him for ANA Gov.

Here is Coppercoins doing some work. (Thanks for the ride to the airport, Chuck)

And lastly here is poor Meriwether Lewis drowning by the Eads Bridge. The river was at flood stage and this was taken on Wednesday. By Saturday it was a foot higher. It was supposed to crest today.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics...
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Congrats to Notlogical for winning his award. Way to go Samuel!image
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Coinhusker...

is that some beatnik growth on your chin?image

cool pics.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    excellent post.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice Pics! I was at the show thursday and friday and looked at some of your coins but you were always busy so i didn't get the chance to introduce myself. I really enjoyed the show and got to meet several of the dealers who regularly post here like Laura (am i allowed to say that name?) and ColonialCoinUnion. They were very nice and allowed me to look at some coins which i obviously could not afford as a 17-year old. My dad was able to pick up two seated dollars for his set along with a duplicate 1885 MS-64 Liberty nickel which is the nicest liberty nickel in a 64 holder i have ever seen! The highlight of the show for me was holding the libertas Americanas medal at the stacks table, Wow!

We also went up in the Arch, what a blast and view! Sorry I kind of hijacked your thread but i just wanted to give a quick report of the show from my point of view.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Seems like Samuel has a very bright future in Numismatics if he so decides. Congrat's to Samuel on the award and Dad for his efforts in raising a young person in today's world!

• Thanks for the pictures and congrats to Notlogical on his award.
    The glass is half full!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Someone his age meeting an icon like Eric Newman...dang, that's cool.

I'm trying to think of what the equivalent would be in my life....whom could I meet in 1980?
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whom could I meet in 1980

Abe Kosoff. I saw him at my first ANA in 1976, but didn't have the guts to say "Hi".
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I guess everyone knows who notlogical is but who is Eric Newman and was he honored to meet notlogical?
    Carl
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Abe Kosoff. >>

Good call. After I posted this, I decided that was the closest comparison I could come up with in that time frame.

Thing is, I never went to any big shows at that age. I would have been 14 to start 1980, and knowing what I know now, the chance to meet Abe Kosoff would have been fantastic -- about like my dad meeting B. Max Mehl, 25-30 years earlier, I suppose.
  • Thanks for posting those great photos! They are really nice and make me wish I was there. Too bad there are a minority of stiff neck show operators who frown on photos, what party poopers!
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Nice Pics and Vote for Clifford Mishler...
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>I guess everyone knows who notlogical is but who is Eric Newman and was he honored to meet notlogical? >>

He's the guy on Mad Magazine. No, wait, that's Alfred E Neuman.

Eric P. Newman

And yes, I am sure he was honored to meet notlogical too.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who is Eric Newman and was he honored to meet notlogical

Actually he was very impressed with Sam.

Eric said at the event that he considered himself a numismatic fossil!

Collector/author for 80 years!

The Eagle That is Forgotten: Pierre Eugene Du Simitiere, Founding Father of American Numismatics by Eric P. Newman and Joel J. Orosz

Early Paper Money of America by Eric P. Newman

Obsolete Paper Money: Leather-Bound Edition: Issued by Banks in the Unites States 1782-1866: a Study and Appreciation for the Numismatist and Historian by Eric P. Newman and Q. David Bowers

Coins of Colonial Virginia by Eric P. Newman

The Fantastic 1804 Dollar By Ken Bressett and Eric P. Newman ("Fantastic" as in "Fantasy")

• KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Great pics image Nice post imageimage Thanks!

KJ

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to steal that little hepcat!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and cool!

Funny... I have an article Newman wrote in 1957 in my room for a research paper I've been writing.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    image Great pics ! Congrats notlogical !! Thats some necktie Newman has there ! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great pics and congrats to Samuel!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    What a wonderful report & pictures. Congratulations, Samuel. I'll bet that Mr. Newman was thrilled to meet a YN with your enthusiasm and knowledge.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What a wonderful report & pictures. Congratulations, Samuel. I'll bet that Mr. Newman was thrilled to meet a YN with your enthusiasm and knowledge. >>

I agree. Heck, I'm happy to meet grown-ups with his enthusiasm and knowledge image

If I remember correctly, a few years ago you wrote about the Wisconsin quarters, this year the Cheerios Sac., what is in the works for next year?

Congrats!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

Thanks Rick for the fantastic pictures! It was really a fun weekend and one we will all remember for a long time. It makes the 17 hours total in the car (there and back) not seem so long after all.

We are really proud of our YN and truly appreciate all the support he receives from so many on these boards. Thanks to one and thanks to all!

<< <i>Coinhusker...

is that some beatnik growth on your chin?image >>

Man you know it. That was gone. Dig it?
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

What a great experience. That picture is one that notlogical will cherish for many, many years to come.
  • capecape Posts: 1,621
    this was a fun show and congrats to notlogical !
    ed rodrigues
  • notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    Thanks Mr. Snow! And thanks everybody else. It was a great weekend! I saw a lot of people I knew and met a lot of new people too! I missed my science fair that I've been working on a project for, but that's OK because this was way better!

What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Samuel, next time you meet Mr. Newman, mention that you heard his favorite numismatist of all time is Dr. William Sheldon. image

Oh BTW, congrats on the meeting. Oh yeah, The Eagle That is Forgotten is a cool book. image
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great day for a great YN. Congrats on the award Samuel and even more important congrats on meeting Eric Newman a living Legend in numismatics! I am looking forward to reading your next article.image
  • notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    Thanks! It was great that you could be with us for the awards breakfast. And thanks for taking me around and looking at coins with me. image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file