Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had $10k to spend on one coin... what would it be?

ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
I am just a college student (21 years old) and have a really nice coin collection... BUT...
I don't have that centerpiece coin. Now my question what coin would be the best one to get with a 10k budget.
I'm thinking of rarity, big potential for an increase in value, and popularity in the series (so no 20 cent pieces!)

Thanks!
-=-Chris-=-

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    A high XF-low AU 1916-D dime.
    Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    hey thanks tb!
    would love more suggestions!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't. There are too many shenanigans in the hobby to put that much money into it. Too many operators, compared to the number of people who respect the coins and believe in being caretakers. I didn't feel this way until recently. I think it was the doctored Gobrecht that convinced me to keep it inexpensive. That was the last straw.
  • Options
    1798 Draped Bust Small Eagle
  • Options
    eep, well I would sure have it certified!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, original, crusty AU 1795 Half Dime.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Something relatively high grade and dated 1790-something.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    A 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    So far it seems the majority of you think late 1700's is the trick...
    No 1893-s morgan?
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So far it seems the majority of you think late 1700's is the trick...
    No 1893-s morgan? >>

That's also not a bad idea to pick one up in like XF. IMO, I'd buy anything that's a key date.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Deep Cameo Proof Morgan....talk about eye appeal...
  • Options

No 1893-s morgan? >>

The 18th century coinage and key dates have two things in common: they are always in high demand in pretty much all market conditions, and they don't tend to tank in value as much as most coins during a bear market. There's usually a lot of people waiting to buy these on even a small dip.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Late 1700's is good.

Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You`re not going to lose adding a image 1893-S to your collection, IMO.
  • Options
    Hi Chris, I like these. image

Love the flying eagle centsimage
  • Options
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Something dated 1793, 94 or 95
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    If I did, it would be a 1915 or 1936 Assay Commission medal, assuming that would pay for one of those. I'd also have no delusions about price increases with these, though anything is possible.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1892-CC in MS64 DMPL for around $10,000.00 I have seen this coin triple in price over the past five years.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1892-CC in MS64 DMPL for around $10,000.00 I have seen this coin triple in price over the past five years. >>

But do you predict it will triple again in the next five years?
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 1892-CC in MS64 DMPL for around $10,000.00 I have seen this coin triple in price over the past five years. >>

But do you predict it will triple again in the next five years? >>

No Zoins, the probability of that happening is not to likely, but if I had $10K to spend on one coin, this would be the one.
  • Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    J-1392 in pf65
    Old coins
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd hunt for a choice proof transitional 1863 two cent piece or 1865 Rays nickel.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    get an AU 1918/7 D Buffalo Nickel. THey are always going up in value
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I've always found that a great centerpiece is a coin that has astounding eye appeal that can grab the attention of most people at first sight. For $10K I would recommend cameo proof gold coins in the PR63 or PR64 range or a proof seated halves or dollars. Proof Morgans are a good idea too.

I wouldn't recommend any circulated or lower mint state key date coins as a centerpiece because to a non-collector they can't really tell the difference between an MS68 1880-S Morgan or an AU50 1893-S other than that the MS68 looks much more attractive although the 1893-S is worth more money.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

1861-C half eagle
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

For DMPLs, I like the 1879 65DMPL or 1891 64DMPL in this range. They haven't gotten the traction they truly deserve in big part due to the fact that they are Philly issues with available proofs. The ones from 1921, all mints, with DMPL fields are also exceptional values that have future potential.

I like the early copper suggestions myself though. Get a problem-free liberty cap cent in PCGS choice. Won't go out of style.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I agree with the comments on coins from the 1700's
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1854-1855 Arrows quarter - strict original MS65 with decent appeal.

I've not seen one in years. It's been on my want list longer. Most are dipped, cleaned, hairlined, etc. Bid is under $7,000 (good luck)
    Conserved schlock is available and around or under bid.
    The half dollar is much easier to find in legit 65...and even 66.

A nice MS63 draped bust quarter. Very underrated. Most are not unc, most have only half luster, and most have iffy strikes. As I recall same pops as the MS64 draped bust quarters. Good value if you can even find one.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    1804 Bust Quarter in EF-40. This is such a sleeper next to the 1796 Qaurter, that I'm positive that when the new die variety book comes out this year or next, that the price for this coin in this grade will double.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    A nice chain cent.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    A gem proof Seated dollar is always a popular coin. Might be a tad higher than $10K.....ok then substitute a Trade dollar. Still neat.

While we'd all love to buy an 1804 25c in XF for $10,000 but I'd bet that it is no longer achievable. Probably a nice VF for that money is what market is today. The market is loaded with AG-Good 1804 quarters (much like the overrated 1901-s). But trying to find a nice Fine or better is a chore indeed. If we're loading up on coins that have very low CDN valuations then make mine XF-AU "S" mint quarters from 1860 to 1872. Many of those are at half the true market price. Many early silver bust coins (half dimes and up) have laughable CDN values. And in some cases CDN has overcorrected while doubling or tripling some (witness an UNC 1800 dime going from $6K to $28K sometime last year).

1804 dime is another key date that is loads rarer than the 1804 quarter, much rarer than 1801/1802 halves, and many other so called rarities. Price guides list a VF at $5,000 yet I don't think you could buy a VF coin for under $10K. Most are damaged. It's as rare as any of the low mintage CC dimes with exception of the 74-cc....and it's not far behind that one either. The 1804 dime has been on my want list ever since I bought a damaged Fine at a local show in the 1970's for $200. It was pretty beat up too...net good. 30 years and still looking. From the 1970's on I always felt the 1804 and 1874-cc dimes were the 2 most underrated date/mints in the entire dime series. Just wish I could have landed some along the way...but then again, that's why they were so underrated: low catalog price and very few coins available. I'd bet no more than 75-100 of the 1804 dimes are left.

Another choice - gem MS seated halves or quarters from the 1840's.
    You can find the half for under $10K when it surfaces, but I think the quarter is history. Though a MS64++ near gem 25c is darn good.

roadrunner
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a slightly different response from the others:

I would buy back one of my PCGS 1945-P MS-65FB mercury dimes in a heartbeat for $10,000!

I sold mine two years ago or so as I had two of them and said silly to have two of them. The day I sold it, I regretted doing so.

This coin has not fully matured and I believe is still poised for approaching greatness a one of the most unobtainable condition rarities of the 20th century. Of course, the 1955 DDO cent in superb MS-64RD is another good 2nd choice as they are increasingly popular.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>A nice chain cent. >>

Agree. I'd buy the nicest Chain Cent I could find for the money.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A nice chain cent. >>

Agree. I'd buy the nicest Chain Cent I could find for the money. >>

Close to agreeement, I'd buy the nicest 93 liberty cap I could get--quite a bit more rare. --Jerry
  • Options

No 1893-s morgan? >>

Chris, welcome to the boards!

You're not far off what I would get - a 1895-S Morgan in MS-64PL - the only year missing from my Morgan collection.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options

<< <i>You're not far off what I would get - a 1895-S Morgan in MS-64PL - the only year missing from my Morgan collection. >>

That could be a good pick, too. Even with a mintmark, the 1895 date is something special to a lot of Morgan collectors and anything dated 1895 is the 'key' to a year set of Morgans. As such, its ongoing demand is pretty well assured.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    1) No problem VG Chain cent.
    2) No problem XF45-AU50 1916-D Merc.
    3) No problem XF40 1893-S Dollar
    4) No problem 1877 indian in as nice as you can find for 10K

Coins I would avoid:
    1901-S Quarter
    1916 Standing Liberty Quarter

-David
  • Options
    Highest grade 1907 High Relief Saint I could afford
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    My preference would be the High Grade Indian $2.50 or $5.00
    I also like the 1794-1795 FH Dollars
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    If I had 10k to spend on a coin, I'd probably spend it on a Golden Age superhero comic book.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most original highest grade small eagle bust dollar that 10K would buy.
  • Options
    At age 21 and in college, I'd pass on the centerpiece coin in favor of more stability and liquidity. You definitely want something that can't go down in value. I didn't see much listed here that doesn't have the potential to go down.

roadrunner
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You're not far off what I would get - a 1895-S Morgan in MS-64PL - the only year missing from my Morgan collection. >>

That could be a good pick, too. Even with a mintmark, the 1895 date is something special to a lot of Morgan collectors and anything dated 1895 is the 'key' to a year set of Morgans. As such, its ongoing demand is pretty well assured. >>

Thanks Ziggy, that's what I was thinking.
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am just a college student (21 years old) and have a really nice coin collection... BUT...
    I don't have that centerpiece coin. Now my question what coin would be the best one to get with a 10k budget.
    I'm thinking of rarity, big potential for an increase in value, and popularity in the series (so no 20 cent pieces!) >>

I am glad roadrunner brought that up. I did not see that about being 21 years of age.

I happen to agree with roadrunner comments!

But something else just as important.

You are 21 years old!! You have many years to go before you acquire a "centerpiece" coin costing $10,000! It is too early for you to ultimately define yourself with a centerpiece coin costing so much. Limit yourself at this juncture in your life!!

I will bet you any sum of money that less than 1% of all great coin collectors defined themselves with centerpiece coins at the age of 21 unless they inherited such coins!

If you have $7000 or $8000 in coins you can trade in for your $10,000 centerpiece coin then that would be the only exception to my "edict."

Ramp up yourself in life but don't start AT THE TOP!

Do a set of coins instead if you wish to spend $10,000.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

<< <i>Nice, original, crusty AU 1795 Half Dime. >>

Absolutely, in my opinion the most undervalued series right now with serious long term upside potential. If you are patient, you can find a great one in AU for ~$8k. A very sexy date and a relatively low pop. Consider the following, three silver coins minted in 1795 ... 1795 Dollar, approximately 1500 certified by PCGS, price in AU ~$30k ... 1795 Half Dollar, approximately 1100 certified by PCGS, price in AU ~$30k ... 1795 Half Dime, approximately 450 certified by PCGS, price in AU ~$8k. There is the business end of the equation.

Now for your "centerpiece" evaluation ... you are at a big show and bring a few of your coins. You pull out a PQ $10k Morgan and people look at it, say "nice Morgan", and hand it back to you. Now, you pull out a PQ 1795 Half Dime ... people look at it, then they study the obverse, study the reverse, pull out their loupe and give it a once or twice over, then they proceed to describe the various traits of the coin in detail and wax philosophical about who might have had it in their pocket. Now you know I REALLY like the CC DMPL Morgans ... but the early flowing hair stuff just moves me on a different level and has a similar effect on most collectors and dealers. Definitely a "centerpiece".

That is my two cents ... now, here are my five image

• Options
    An MS-66 (or higher) Saint Gauldens
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An MS-66 (or higher) Saint Gauldens >>

sle5150----Great choice and image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best mint state 1856 Flying Eagle cent I could get for ten grand.
    or, like Oreville says:
    1955 DDO Lincoln cent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file