Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you had $10k to spend on one coin... what would it be?

2»

Comments

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I for one like collections not a people buying single coins, those folks are more investors than collector. You could run deep in many of the classic series in the higher circulated grades on many series. I like to have a full set of 2 /1/2 Indians and that's a doable set that has not real show stoppers with that type of money.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    The best mint state 1856 Flying Eagle cent I could get for ten grand.

Unfortunatly for those of us that dont have one, ten grand wont buy a MS 1856 flying eagle any more.

-David
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Here is a sample of my list of stuff for the future in that price range.

A really nice AU58 1909-O Half Eagle
    A nice AU58 Bust Half Eagle
    Some nice AU-MS D or C Liberty Half Eagles
    A high relief Saint in XF/AU
    A common date Gem Proof Trade Dollar with untouched nicely toned surfaces
    A flowing hair in decent condition
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The best mint state 1856 Flying Eagle cent I could get for ten grand.

Unfortunatly for those of us that dont have one, ten grand wont buy a MS 1856 flying eagle any more.

-David >>

AU58 image ?
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early gold will always be in high demandimage For 10K you can get a choice AU $5 in either bust right or left. A beautiful coin that will stand out from the rest.

imageimage
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • What kind of stuff do you collect? How about a sketch of your collection so far image
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Early gold will always be in high demandimage For 10K you can get a choice AU $5 in either bust right or left. A beautiful coin that will stand out from the rest.

Now those are worth considering and always in demand. If for some reason I was buying one coin that would certainly be one of the few to consider. I think it all depends on how long you've been collecting if this is a start I'd build a collection to enjoy first but that's just me.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    besides dizzyfoxx, all of your comments have been very helpful!
    I am going to attempt to load up some scans in about 5 minutes....
    Heres the pics...
  • a couple of Cheerios variety Sacs
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd make a down payment on a nice pattern. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I wouldn't recommend any circulated or lower mint state key date coins as a centerpiece because to a non-collector they can't really tell the difference between an MS68 1880-S Morgan or an AU50 1893-S other than that the MS68 looks much more attractive although the 1893-S is worth more money. >>

That's an interesting comment, and I think it speaks to the fact that ChrisRx or anyone looking to spend $10K on a centerpiece coin should have their collecting objectives clearly defined. It's true that a non-collector would probably be more attracted to an MS68 1880-S Morgan (or an MS68 anything!), at first...but if your centerpiece coin has a story behind it that explains why it is so rare or valuable or special in some other way, then the story of the coin and the fact that you own it may be more impressive than the coin itself to a non-collector.
    And another thing... image

<< <i>

<< <i>...Now for your "centerpiece" evaluation ... you are at a big show and bring a few of your coins. You pull out a PQ $10k Morgan and people look at it, say "nice Morgan", and hand it back to you. Now, you pull out a PQ 1795 Half Dime ... people look at it, then they study the obverse, study the reverse, pull out their loupe and give it a once or twice over, then they proceed to describe the various traits of the coin in detail and wax philosophical about who might have had it in their pocket. Now you know I REALLY like the CC DMPL Morgans ... but the early flowing hair stuff just moves me on a different level and has a similar effect on most collectors and dealers. Definitely a "centerpiece". >>

Great comments and I completely agree. These coins, and others like them, have history and character and are fun to own IMHO.

On a related note, I'm curious why nobody has recommended any colonial (loosely defined) coins as a $10K centerpiece to a nice collection?
    I was 13 years old when I bought this baby! hah!
    Yes all are great ideas... but someone said "old gold" I mean isn't that the best of both worlds?
    Nice pick-up, especially at that age. image Beautiful design and not expensive.

<< <i>Yes all are great ideas... but someone said "old gold" I mean isn't that the best of both worlds? >>

Indeed...old gold is nice if you can get it! If you do the necessary research (necessary for any major coin purchase) and know what you're looking for, it would be hard to go wrong.
    The coin I have always admired is the Capped Bust, Small Eagle $10 Eagle.
    But those are a lot more than 10k....
    I guess I would have to settle for a Capped Bust, Heraldic Eagle $10 Eagle
    Or.... just save up even LONGER..... IMO That Small eagle is the most beautiful coin ever!
    It's old, its gold, its rare, its beautiful....

Tough decision depending on how much longer you would have to wait while you are saving up for the Small Eagle.

Although it doesn't sound like you'd truly be happy "settling" for a Heraldic Eagle, if saving for the Small Eagle prevents you from enjoying the hobby along the way, by the time you're able to buy the Small Eagle you may no longer be interested...and that would be a tragedy.

I hope you are able to find the middle ground there. image
  • Nice Bill

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The best mint state 1856 Flying Eagle cent I could get for ten grand.
    or, like Oreville says:
    1955 DDO Lincoln cent. >>

A recent '56 FE on eBay....looks like 10k will only buy you a PR45 or maybe a PR50 at this rate...
    Link
    Hey MLC,
    I appreciate that last comment you made. It makes a lot of sense...
    I have just been a collect-a-holic the last 6 months... 65% of my collection has been purchased in this time.
    I need to relax!
    I purchased $600 worth of 2006-w burnished silver eagles (3 69's and 1 70) <---watch these skyrocket
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin I have always admired is the Capped Bust, Small Eagle $10 Eagle.
    But those are a lot more than 10k....
    I guess I would have to settle for a Capped Bust, Heraldic Eagle $10 Eagle
    Or.... just save up even LONGER..... IMO That Small eagle is the most beautiful coin ever!
    It's old, its gold, its rare, its beautiful....

image >>

If you really want one of those, I suppose you could spend your 10k on the best 1886-O Morgan you can find in MS64, crack it out and resubmit it in hopes of a 65. Then sell it.

Glad I could help. Seriously though...relax, take your time, and have fun. I know you've probably heard this many times but it's true: If you haven't already, find a specialized area of collecting and focus on it. You'll enjoy the hobby that much more. Personally, I'm almost 40 years old and I've been collecting off and on for many years. However, I have about 14 coins total in my collection - that's all. I like colonial era coins the most so I try to specialize in that area of collecting. Even though I don't have many coins, each one is special to me and has a story. To me, each coin is a centerpiece.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • airedaleairedale Posts: 505
    SMS DC.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a Morgan collector how could a chain cent or FE cent be the centerpiece of your collection? From your pics it looks like you are a "variety" collector so many of the different suggestions might be appropriate.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't honestly think I could spend $10K on one coin. Even if I were going to, the decision making process would make me want to run into a wall.

I've never even shopped for 10K coins!

On kind of a related note, my wife was watching a barret jackson auction with me tonight, where we watched someone drop about 600K on a pair of stingray corvettes or something. I told her "if I ever start wanting to buy a 500K car, set me down and have a talk with me. She looked at me and said "its not that far off".
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A gem proof Seated dollar is always a popular coin. Might be a tad higher than $10K.....ok then substitute a Trade dollar. Still neat.

Personally, I prefer the business strikes but hey, that's just me. They weren't really saved as the proof's were, but a really nice original proof with minimal hairlines likely will set you back more than 1oK.

"Another choice - gem MS seated halves or quarters from the 1840's.
    You can find the half for under $10K when it surfaces, but I think the quarter is history. Though a MS64++ near gem 25c is darn good."

Ahhh, somone who knows real coins. The Quarters from the 40's are so cool and so tough to find nice and original. Might be a bit specialized for what this guy is looking for, but I liked you idea of a bust quarter too in 64 (small size would be my choice) or a nice ORIGIANAL reeded edge half in 64 or 65

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At age 21 and in college, I'd pass on the centerpiece coin in favor of more stability and liquidity. You definitely want something that can't go down in value.

Actually, risk should be more acceptable at a young age. There's still plenty of time to prepare for retirement.

Also, there's not much more risk in a well selected $10,000 coin than there is in a $10,000 pile of cheaper coins. I say go for the big coin if that's what turns you on.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    stay away from thinly traded coins, stick with true rarity - from a mintage and survival stance, I hate condition rarities

stick with your 93-s Morgan's, High Relief $20's, etc. if you want to spend 10k on a "centerpiece" coin.

if you care for Modern's - go with the 2006-W Platinum in 70's.

early type, medals, etc., as well as some keys (01-s & 16 qtrs; 16-d dimes; 32-d qtrs) all have either risen so fast thier prices are barely sustainable and/or future growth is inhibited, or they have a small fan club (limited market)

if you like 16-d dimes, they are the key, buy 20 good-4's instead of one XF-AU - the price point is perfect for collectors, you stand to make much more on that group of coins than one the one mega grade.

<< <i>stay away from thinly traded coins, stick with true rarity - from a mintage and survival stance, I hate condition rarities

stick with your 93-s Morgan's, High Relief $20's, etc. if you want to spend 10k on a "centerpiece" coin.

if you care for Modern's - go with the 2006-W Platinum in 70's.

early type, medals, etc., as well as some keys (01-s & 16 qtrs; 16-d dimes; 32-d qtrs) all have either risen so fast thier prices are barely sustainable and/or future growth is inhibited, or they have a small fan club (limited market)

if you like 16-d dimes, they are the key, buy 20 good-4's instead of one XF-AU - the price point is perfect for collectors, you stand to make much more on that group of coins than one the one mega grade. >>

HR $20's and moderns can hardly be called "true rarity"... more marketable maybe, but not rarities.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhdfla,

Nice 1845 quarter. No rub on the usual places. Unusual these days. While a "commoner" early date so to speak, I cannot recall seeing a gem of this date though I'm sure some (or one) is out there.

HR saints will drop like stones if the market turns for good. So will most choice and gem MS/PF type coins for that matter. Key dates in the right sets will hold value and continue to march on.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

<< <i>Jhdfla,

Nice 1845 quarter. No rub on the usual places. Unusual these days. While a "commoner" early date so to speak, I cannot recall seeing a gem of this date though I'm sure some (or one) is out there.

HR saints will drop like stones if the market turns for good. So will most choice and gem MS/PF type coins for that matter. Key dates in the right sets will hold value and continue to march on.

roadrunner >>

Thanks, it's in an OGH FWIW...
    There is a better one (1845), I used to own it but now resides in an ngc66 holder in the posession of a gentleman collecting seated quarters with stronger hands than mine. It has outstanding color for a '40's SQ. Virtually no surface abrasions and no rub. I want to buy it back but it's not for sale. It's up there in the "top 5 coins I used to own and wish I never sold" list. They are getting hard to find nice, early quarters and halves.

Clarkbar04 is prolly better off with the keys I guess as far as marketability is concerned as you say. But a gorgeously toned Barber, or Seated gem sure gives more pleasure to the eye...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten thousand dollars doesn't even buy ½ of a car nowadays.
    But then again it' s tough to drive a penny to work.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your criteria, hard to beat a 93 S, 16 D, 1877 IHC, in fact, any rarity in a POPULAR series. And I emphasize POPULAR series.

For what it's worth, When I was in college, I would have been THRILLED to have MADE $10K a year....
    I spent my summers on a Forest Service Hot Shot Fire Crew. With Fire Pay, Haz Duty Pay and overtime, I was making $4.17 hour....
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭

How about a 1913-S T2 Buffalo nickel in PCGS MS66 much like this coin.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, did someone try to remove the spots in the left obverse field of that 1845 quarter?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    Andy asks..." BTW, did someone try to remove the spots in the left obverse field of that 1845 quarter? "

Don't think so Andy, but as I've not been in possession of the coin since 1845 it would be hard for me to say absolutely notimage
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    I would take a 79 CC Morgan in 64PL. $10K should be able to cover that coin just fine.

-------------

etexmike
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I guess some forum members think that 07 HR's and 93-s dollars are not rarities, well try to market that one of a kind coin you have that has no liquid market.....

one line that I will ALWAYS remember...that I heard many times from a guy much more wise than I .....

IT's ONLY WORTH WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    1885-CC MS67PL.
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I'm thinking of rarity, big potential for an increase in value, and popularity in the series (so no 20 cent pieces!)

Are you buying the coin as an investment or as a collector? Buying a coin because you want a "big potential" for profit is a major difference than buying a coin because you want a beautiful rarity to be the centerpiece of your collection.

I would venture a guess that many people here have a "centerpiece" coin but it may not be the most beautiful or most expensive coin in their collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file