Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970's Pirates Images! Check 'em out!

These are fantastic. Very rare private looks from the Pittsburgh staff photographers. I have recently obtained 115 color slides from 1975-1980 and over 200 b&w 35mm negatives from 1971-1979. I will share them as they get cleaned and put into the archives. I have to pull back on my spending for awhile as many of you know--these hobbies can get expensive! I may have to sell some more baseball cards to fund my new habit.
Anyway, folks who grew up digging the "Lumber Company" and the "Fam-A-Lee" will love these. The Stargell is from 1979 and absolutely haunting. You can see the age in his face and his eyes are crystal clear. It's like he's glaring right at the viewer...

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Kind of funny, remember those days with the We are Family thing going on for the bucs. Funny thing too is seeing Kent's hat, wilth all those stars on it, kind of like the college football helmet and the stickers on it for making a good play or whatever they give them out for.
  • Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    Funny but I dont remember Chuck Tanner hiking his pants up that high.....
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    best photos ever
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    great photos

unfortunately i'm an orioles fan, bad bad memories
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, old Three Rivers Stadium...Loved it!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I always enjoy your posts, dgf. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    for morgoth...

My favorite Bradshaw pic. I collect Steelers & Pirates from the 70's, obviously.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Baseball really USED to be special in those days.

We lived in Allentown, PA and the Pirates and Phillies meant alot to the people.

Willie, Dave and the rest were like family.

So not true today.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Phil, great pictures! For those who don't know, Phil is super knowledgeable about his new "habit". I want to thank him for renewing my hobby interest through his love of photography. He has been a great help in educating me about this part of the hobby.

If you are getting a little burned out on cards, this is a great direction to take.

Robert
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    edited because its not worth it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Kent Tekulve. I used to love watching that crazy, submarine delivery of his.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Cool shots! That was a great era and I used to go to about 20 Pirate games a year between '71 through '77 before going off to college. I don't recall ever missing a doubleheader during that time span. Now doubleheaders are a thing of the past. I'm guessing that these shots are more in the '79-'82 timespan.

Saw a lot of Steeler games at Three Rivers too.

Ah glory days.......
  • Options
    Robert,
    Thank you for the kind words. I 'm quite happy about motivating you to look at original film. It never gets old.

I wanted to share this one for "baseballfan". I have to say, the '79 Series was fantastic. I have become very close with Bill Madlock in recent years as he actually works for me at my academy in Chicago. We are always jawing at each-other and he is about the greatest guy and a reliable friend a guy could have. He and I are like old school buddies now, although I never got above class A baseball. It's a hoot because Bill was a guy who I just loved as a kid and the relationship is oddly surreal on my end for sure.

Anyway, his perspective on that series is priceless. The Pirates really believed everything Stargell told them. If he said, "we're OK.", they believed it. After they lost game four, Willie stopped at the clubhouse door and simply said "We're O.K. It ain't good, but we've got the pitchers and I feel really good at the plate. If you guys don't want to go to Baltimore, don't bother showing up tomorrow. I'll be here getting it done."
    Also, Madlock added that Chuck was the best manager he ever played for. Sparky & Joe (Altobelli) were the nicest guys on the planet, but Chuck put just enough heat on you to keep you sharp and stay loose. After they lost 3 of 4 to open the series, Madlock tells me they were really, really loose and confident.

Interestingly, Earl Weaver, interviewed before Game 7 by Howard Cosell was very uptight. He said he was uncomfortable and hinted the Orioles may have missed their chance with their best pitchers in games 5 & 6 and were "leaving it all up to McGregor." He continued; "I'm just hoping Eddie can get ahold of one--he's in one of those 1 for 7's right now and it's not good timing for us. We need Kenny or Eddie to put one out with a couple of men on..."
    Cosell asked; "Not any defeatism here, is there?" Earl; "Not at all, Howard, but you realize that we've had chances to finish this thing and I'm just being realistic. All the momentum is over there right now."

The Pirates countered with Bibby. While Tanner was scrutinized for not throwing a more winning pitcher on three days rest, Tanner stated that Bibby was their hottest pitcher and most consistent in September-- and the Pirates don't panic. "He's been controlling his slider more than he did in the American League--that's the biggest difference in him. The guy is a winner. We feel really good about Jim going tonight. If I had my pick, he'd be the guy...and that's the way it worked out...good for us."

Attitude over aptitude when your sack is on the line.

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Phil,

The picture of the fans is so clear that you can see the armpit sweat on the yinzer on the right.

I believe that Pirate Parrot is one who got fired after getting caught skinny-dipping in the South Side public pool after hours.

Thanks for the great pics.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Man that team had some stories to tell. I read an interview with Johnny Ray were he stated that if you couldn't play for Tanner you couldn't play for anyone. I also wonder why Murtaugh never gets any pub as being a great manager? Two WS titles in his era was tough as heck when you look at how good those teams were and no wild card. Great photos of Bradshaw, I have never seen that one before. It looks like early in his career.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Arch,
    I have that photo listed on eBay and mention the pit stain. Very funny. Morgoth, the Bradshaw is 1971.

dgf
  • Options
    ...Johnny Ray. One of my favorites!

I may have shared this one before, but this photo at the start of the '73 Season chokes me up a bit...no Clemente in the line-up. He likely would be in the gap between Oliver & Sanguillen in 1973. Although, the thought of Roberto hitting 5th is odd--it WAS 1973. Sad.

• Options
    To all the people who say Clemente was a borderline HOF or overrated, he said in those final days how great he felt and could of been like Paul Molitor and had some great years pushing 40. His final stats are incomplete in my mind and have to be taken that way.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Wait, who said that Clemente wanted to be like Molitor? Because it sounds like Clemente is the one that said that. Not trying to be a smart ass just wondering who really said it.
  • Options
    ClemazClemaz Posts: 1,422
    I was twelve when my Buccos won that world series. I still remember my parents letting me stay up for game 7. Still one of my greatest baseball memories. I would love to watch the Pirates in the world series with my son and daughters, not sure if I'll see them back in the series in my lifetime.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>edited because its not worth it. >>

It doesn't cost anything to post.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    Man I wish I was alive to see baseball back then. Even you guys that just saw baseball in the 80s, I still envy you. My dad has told me stories about going to Philly with his brothers and watching a double header with a no name pitching game 1 for the phils and Steve Carlton getting the start in game 2. This was when the Phils were atrocious, and my dad said they bought $1 tickets or something and saw both games for less than ticketmaster service charges today. He says that he thinks Carlton threw a complete game 4 hitter or something and the Phillies only won 1-0. Just looking at Carlton and the stats and the man was a freekin beast. In 72 he went 27-10 when the Phillies won 59 games!! Could you imagine if the Phils were half way decent. He could have at least gone somethinglike 32-5.
  • Options
    Goot,
    The older we are the better we were. True, baseball was played a bit better just a few decades ago, but today's athletes are bigger and stronger and can do amazing things as well. As hard to believe as it is, someday you will long for today. I think it's great that you are a young fan. You are the future of our game for now. Your attitude will shape your kids attitude and the game can be great once again. Thanks for checking in and, yes, Carlton was a beast!
    dgf
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Phil-
    cool pic and an even cooler story from Madlock. The '79 series was a really great one, and I didn't miss an inning. Nice to see that it's getting a bit of recognition.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Does Terry actually think he's going to quietthe crowd down...in Yankee Stadium?

Way for Earl to throw Eddie Murray under the bus. I remember all of my Oriole fan friends laid every bit of that loss at Murray's feet. Odd how they didn't need his bat to go up 3-1.

I was rooting for them, then, but in the fullness of time, I see that Series isn't really a sore spot. It was marvelous and dramatic.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes baseball was different back then, I can remember going to old Tiger Stadium back in mid 70s where the seats were green and made out of wood. Actually got to see Mark Fidrych's first game as a Tiger in 76.
  • Options
    I know this is all irrelevant considering the thread is about pictures but here it goes. I understand the whole part about athletes being better today, but I was mainly talking about the MLB not being a money hungry corporation with billion dollar tv deals and more about baseball. I know prices of tickets were relative to the time since that same $1 that my dad spent in 1972 translates to much more today but still just to think that he could walk up to a brand new Veterans Stadium buy a ticket for a doubleheader and see one of the greatest pitchers of all time pitch amazes me. Today there is just so much hype and money in baseball that it costs a fortune to go to games and the amazing invention of doubleheaders has died because of that lost revenue from ticket prices. Players are so much harder to interact with outside of spring training and even then they still treat you, the people paying their bills, like crap. The MLB says it's about the fans but for those of you that have been to games in the past few years, considering the ticket, concession,parking,etc. prices it seems like they are almost against us. Sorry for ranting but this kind of makes me a little tiny bit mad.
  • Options

<< <i>Players are so much harder to interact with outside of spring training and even then they still treat you, the people paying their bills, like crap. The MLB says it's about the fans but for those of you that have been to games in the past few years, considering the ticket, concession,parking,etc. prices it seems like they are almost against us. Sorry for ranting but this kind of makes me a little tiny bit mad. >>

Goot,
    Sad for you, you are wise beyond your years. I make my living in baseball. I played it, like most of us, as a kid. I continued through high school and college and into professional baseball. I currently run a the highest profile academy in the Chicagoland area. I've tutored and thrown to various Major-League all-stars and currently operate as a regional scouting assistant for the Chicago White Sox. I conduct coaching clinics on the National level and have been published four times in three different coaching texts and publications. At one point, I could recite the surnames and statistics of virtually every player on every team in Major-League baseball--and even some in the lowest levels of professional baseball. I coach a varsity baseball team and a summer elite travel club for 18U called the Chicago Jacks and employ three divison 1 players as coaches and two guys who enjoyed success in professional baseball. Every party I attend has something to do with the game and my kids adore it--from afar.
    Here's the point; I rarely if EVER watch a major league baseball game on television and haven't attended a major-league park for a regular season game without an event that I HAD to attend in years. I actually have free access to every ballpark and still don't go. I really hate what the game has become. They will never get me back. 1994 was the last straw for a guy like me. I was already disenchanted with the inner-workings and that labor issue seemed to extinguish the ML games flickering relevance for me. The GAME is as great as ever. MLB, however, is at it's worst right now. I go overboard, I'm aware of that. I even hate the new helmets. The catchers wearing hockey equipment, etc. I mean, do hitters really NEED air holes and aero-dynamics in their helmets??? You wear the thing, on average, for a minute or two at a time a couple of times per day. Is the heat bothering you THAT much??? Air holes??? Progress is fine. Change for change is just annoying and transparent. The alternate jerseys, new designer hats, advertising on the backstop just for television, important people (sky) boxes, music between at bats...not innings, mind you, but at bats...I could go on for hours. I just hate our game at the parent-club level. I still love coaching the kids and the minor league outfits I work with, but MLB has lost one customer forever. Good for them I'm not a paying customer anymore. They won't even miss me.
    Do yourself a favor goot; take yourself and a buddy to a high school game that you have no affiliation to. Just two clubs squaring up in a conference game on a Thursday afternoon on a beautiful day. Voila! You will be immediately transported back to the Elysian Fields of Hobokken, New Jersey and the game you wish you could have seen comes to life. If you want the full effect, consider making your outing a wooden bat contest. My Jacks club plays a 70 game schedule and almost 60 of those are wooden bat. The games are out there--just find 'em and go. You'll LOVE it. I also recommend keeping score. Just ask the book holder from each club the line-up, grab some peanuts and a Starbucks and you're good to go!!!
    Take care and remember; it's not the arrows--it's the Indians that are ruining baseball. The GAME is fantastic as ever!

dgf
  • Options
    Stingray,
    I am seriously jealous of your Fidrych outing. I DID see Lee Smith's debut...how COOL is THAT?!image

Griffins,
    Odd how that series gets lost in the shuffle. It had everything but snow...er...
    It was a classic in every sense. Are you a fan of either team?

<< <i>Does Terry actually think he's going to quietthe crowd down...in Yankee Stadium? >>

dgf
  • Options
    I totally agree with you. I still will be a Braves fan and everything and go to a few Devil Rays game just because I love baseball but other than that MLB with all of those new dri fit hats that they switched to this year leaving wool behind because it "wicks sweat away better" is all about the money and that sucks. One of my favorite things now is college and minor league baseball. The local college Florida Tech, a division 2 school, plays it's games at a field with no lights and all games start at either 12 or 3 and there are only about 50 to 100 people that sit in the 1 section of bleachers behind home plate and it's a blast to go to the games. I also like to go watch the Brevard County Manatees and Vero Beach Devil rays play in the Florida State League. I also keep score at just about every game I attend.

That's awesome that you were successful in baseball. I played up till about last year and played one season on an AAU team but I struggled a lot and our high school baseball team is really good so I wouldn't be able to make the team. I still go to just about all of the games and cheer on my friends though and it's all for the best since I can focus on school. How did your varsity team do this year? I don't know where you live but have you guys played regionals yet?
  • Options
    Well, Baseball owners have been money grubbing scum since the 19th century. They're just a bit better organized, now.

Personally, I like the game now far more than I did in the mid 80's. I love the players of the late 70's and mid 80's, but there were signifigant aspects of the game that I had real problems with. Outside of the Braves on TBS, I only had access to NBC's game of the week and their announcers, other than Scully, were truly off putting. There was also the fact that they rarely covered anyone who wasn't among the elite teams, so that became monotonous, after a while.

That was Baseball's low point, for me, especially for the majority of the National League, with all the dreadful cookie cutter stadiums, blue uniforms, fences 800 feet from the plate and everyone playing on green concrete. The game endures, and it always will, but, to me, it looks, and plays much better today.

When ESPN got the contract in 1990, I suddenly had this whole world of players I had only read about or seen on Sportscenter or This Week In Baseball that I could suddenly watch any time I wanted. My interest in the game has grown dramatically over that same period of time.
  • Options
    ESPN still never covers any of the bad teams. How many times a week to they have serious discussion about the Yanks, Red sox, Braves, Mets,etc. vs. the Rays, Royals, Pirates, Marlins? I love TBS and that is the reason I am a fan of the Braves today. I was basically raised on the Jones boys. I'm talking more about going to the games and the players interaction with the fans than today's technology.
  • Options
    When ESPN first got the contract, they showed 4-5 games a week, and that opened things up. It's a bit different, now.

Now, those of us who have the Extra Innings Package can watch mediocre teams any time we want to image

As far as the game going experience goes, you're right. Baseball owners will almost always be penny wise and pound foolish. They never see providing a cheaper and more welcoming ballpark experience as an investment, which is what it is. The happier you are, the more likely you are to return. Instead, they always want to get as much out of you as they can, thinking if you get turned off, there will always be someone to take your place.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i totally had my k-mart platic pirates batter's helmet in '79. i was 7, so i remember sister sledge & stargell doing it up big in pittisburgh.

that photo w/o clemente in lineup is certainly striking to me.

awesome photos again, i envy your collection and your photoshop skills too :>

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Goot, stay as far away from the man in the hood as long as you can...youth is where it is at. Envy what you haven't seen YET, not what you haven't seen.

My favorite thing before this era was having to wait until the next morning to see the boxscores...and the DAY AFTER THAT to see the west coast box scores! Though I thirsted then for what is available now!

Yesteryear in all eras is romantic, but that is because it is seen through rose colored glasses. Even though one may be fond of when they churned their own butter, I don't see many still doing it. I may have been fond of the excitment of seeing the boxscore, but I don't even subscribe to the paper anymore.

I am fond of the Revolutionary War era, and that is often viewed as a simple time...but boy was daily living tough just to survive day by day. I wouln't trade this existence for that...we have things much easier now believe it or not.

What it really boils down to is that I miss that time BECAUSE I WAS YOUNG, not because it was better. When something is connected to youth it is very powerful, and in reality it is the youth and innocence you yearn for.
  • Options

<< <i>What it really boils down to is that I miss that time BECAUSE I WAS YOUNG, not because it was better. When something is connected to youth it is very powerful, and in reality it is the youth and innocence you yearn for. >>

Exactly image
  • Options
    67standup67standup Posts: 833
    Wonderful photos and thread, thanks for sharing.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    I loved that 1973 Opening Day Picture. By the way, here was the Pirates opening day lineup from 1971-1973.

2B Stennett
    RF Sanguillen
    CF Oliver
    LF Stargell
    1B Robertson
    3B Hebner
    SS Alley
    C May
    P Blass

2B Stennett
    CF Oliver
    RF Clemente
    LF Stargell
    3B Hebner
    C Sanguillen
    1B Robertson
    SS Hernandez
    P Ellis

2B Mazeroski
    3B Hebner
    RF Clemente
    C Sanguillen
    1B Robertson
    LF Stargell
    CF Oliver
    SS Hernandez
    P Ellis
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    All of these posts about the late 70's Pirates inspired me to dust off a VHS cassette distributed my MLB Video of the '79 World Series, narrarated by Vince Scully. I bought this in the early 90's and hadn't watched it in at least 12 years. Unfortunately this video is only 30 minute long, so it only covers the essential highlights, but still brought back a lot of great memories. The video is priceless in the way it dates itself with plenty of disco music, polyester attire and those ghastly '70s hairdos. The one significant thing I had forgotten is that "The Lumber Company" hit .323 in that series which was a World Series record, and I imagine that it still stands. I also just discovered that the '79 World Series is now out on DVD, and it covers every pitch of every game of the original ABC broadcasts with Keith Jackson and Howard Cossell. Obviously, this is a "must-have" item for my collection and plan to order it right away.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil,
    Great photos! I'm not a big fan of the Pirates but loved Dave Parker during that era. Those old uniforms bring back great memories.

Abe
    PS I'm still enjoying this huge photo of "King Ralph" in my office, thanks again!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    ClemazClemaz Posts: 1,422
    Dude,

I have that DVD it is awesome, I think you will really enjoy it.
  • Options
    Clemaz,

Glad to hear that it's great. I ordered it today.

Dan
  • Options
    Ahhhh the 70's
    You aint whistlin Dixie !
  • Options
    Dude,
    How would go about ordering that DVD? Kid, I'm very happy you dig the King photo. I remember people talking about Ralph doing 90 lb. dumbell curls--that is insane.

TNT,
    I'm not a muscle-car guy deep down, but when I looked at THAT picture...I think it moved.image

dgf
  • Options
    Kid,
    Here's a brand-new Reggie!!! This one is from Cleveland Stadium, 1978.

...I'll try and get some Parker scanned in soon. I have a few cool ones.

dgf
  • Options
    Parker & Stargell: 1979

dgf
  • Options
    Some Steelers for the guys who requested them to follow. Nightcrawler, I will have to scan some Lambert and prep the files. I have 2 nice ones by himself.

• Options
    ...more combo-Lambert here. This one is an absolute CLASSIC shot! This may be my favorite football shot I own from the early 70's. This one is an Art Rickerby slide:

• Options
    Awesome Steeler pics, especially the one in the Orange Bowl. The weird thing is that Lambert never played at Miami during the regular season at Miami until the early 1980s, and I see Jim Kiick in that picture, so I'm trying to figure out on the date - do you know when that picture is dated? I'm trying to figure that out. Maybe it's an exhibition game.
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil,
    Nice Reggie, a swing and a miss. Any new Carter's in your inventory?

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach