Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970's Pirates Images! Check 'em out!

2»

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome Steeler pics, especially the one in the Orange Bowl. The weird thing is that Lambert never played at Miami during the regular season at Miami until the early 1980s, and I see Jim Kiick in that picture, so I'm trying to figure out on the date - do you know when that picture is dated? I'm trying to figure that out. Maybe it's an exhibition game. >>

It's 71 or so. It's that same game we've talked about before, that dgf has at least one other image from. Orange Bowl, Steelers wearing the white pants instead of gold.

The 1972 Topps Pro Action cards of L.C. Greenwood, Larry Csonka and Bob Griese are all images from the same game.

Actually, I really don't think that's Jack. In additon to all of that circumstantial evidence, that guy seems too short to be Lambert. Who wore #58 for the Steelers in the early 70's?
  • Options
    Thanks to the internet and GDM67's information, I was able to find that #58 in 1971 was actually Chuck Allen, another LB on the Steelers roster.
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Week 9, Nov 14th, 1971. Dolphins 24 Steelers 21. First ever meeting beyween the two teams.

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>Kid,
    Here's a brand-new Reggie!!! This one is from Cleveland Stadium, 1978.

...I'll try and get some Parker scanned in soon. I have a few cool ones.

dgf >>

Absolutely cool Reggie shot !
    I loved watching him play . . Loved listening to the crowd chanting REGGIE . . . REGGIE . . REGGIE.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I really loved Reggie in Baseketball.image
  • Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    The Muppett in action...

The 4-Time SuperBowl Champion and NFL comemtator as a rook!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's something from my personal photos. It's one of my first ever ML games. It was Pittsburgh vs Montreal in either 1975 or 1976 (I think 1976).

Here's who I can make from the photo - #8 Wilver Dornel himself, #14 Ed Ott (if 1976) or Art Howe (if 1975), #38 Bob Moose, #6 Rennie Stennett and #23 Ed Kirkpatrick. These are all from the BP photo. I can't make anyone except Stargell in the between innings warmup photo.
  • Options
    Gemmy,
    If you ever want that cleaned up and sharpened, don't hesitate to ask. You could actually scan it in at 300 dpi and email me the file in a .jpeg. I could edit it and send it back. These days you don't even need to send the original slide in most cases...providing you have a scanner that can do high-res scans without noise.
    Cool shot with a real 'period' feel.

dgf
  • Options
    Unfortunately the originals are not much better. They've either faded over time or weren't that sharp when taken. The warm-up photo is a bit cloudy.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    downgoesfrazier -- I ordered the '79 World Series DVD through Amazon.com. I should be getting it within the next several days.

Link
  • Options
    Thanks Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What team do you dig? I'll post some stuff for you!
    dgf
  • Options
    Gemint,
    You're right...these are pretty tough to heal. I will tell you that if the scan were tweaked a bit to a slightly higer resolution with some grain reduction, you may be able to make a pretty nice 8x10, however.
    This was the best I could do with the digital output from this thread;
  • Options
    Thanks! That is an improvement. I may have a few more pictures from that game around somewhere. If I come across them, I'll post em. My main memory is standing at the first base railing with some other kids yelling across to "Pops" to come over and sign for us. At one point he turned and waved but didn't come over. My mom was mad and sent a letter to the Pirates. They replied with an autographed Stargell photo and said the players are restricted from signing after a certain time before the game.
  • Options
    downgoesfrazier -- I've a big fan of '60's and '70's Pittsburgh teams, so all that you've sharing of late is outstanding! Thanks!
  • Options
    Gem,
    That Stargell...what a boob!image...NOT!

Here's an interesting one for you; Bobby Bonds. Wrigley Field, Chicago...around '81, it's before the game and he's just hanging out talking with some guy who seems to be taking notes. He comes over by the dugout when he's done and all the kids start yelling "Bonds! Bobby! Hey Bonds!"
    He walks straight toward us and says "It's Mr. Bonds", and disappears into the dugout! A minute later when we're all commenting on what a jerk he is, he re-appears with his own pen and satrts signing like a madman. This old lady usher comes down and says we can't stand there and he caps his pen and says "that's it, I guess." Then, he proceeds to walk to the front of the bullpen and gestures for us to come down and signs for another 5 minutes before quitting. All the while he just keeps talking to us and humming some R&B tune.
    It's funny, could you even imagine his son doing that???
    It made me think of it when you said they were not allowed to sign after a certain time. Wrigley Field was the same way.

Dude,
    I'll try to keep 'em coming!

dgf
  • Options
    Some new ones...

This first one is from the first game of the World Series in Pittsburgh, 1979 (Game 3). It doesn't show that well in the tempolate, but is clear as day in the print, the dugouts say "BALTIMORE" and "THE FAMILY"...awesome!

This one is a crowd shot from July of 1979. Just about every fan in the joint has a Pirate hat and is waving it about. Pirate fans are hard-core.

...many, many, many more to come. I'll keep 'em in this thread. Enjoy Guys.
  • Options
    DGF - any luck with digging up a few of Mr Lambert yet image

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    Jack is coming...

Here's a Cobra...

The guy could mash and do it all. I can get past the jewelry--not too sure about the yellow pajamas, however.
  • Options
    OK. I may have THE BOMB! I'm not sure how it will come out. I just got it in the mail and I'm PUMPED! Stay tuned...
  • Options
    1979 Pirates Clinch NL EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
  • Options
    This one deserves it's own thread. Unbelieveable. 1971 Crowning Moment! This is "The Bomb!" that I eluded to yesterday.

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Images in signature lines are getting out of hand again. Please take a moment to check yours and if it is too big, re-size it.
    Images should be 200 x 400 and no larger than 20k.

If you image is too large you will be asked to remove or reduce the image size.
    If you do not reduce the size, we will remove your signature line.

If you do not know how to reduce the image size, please ask your fellow forum members. Many are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Thank you,

Carol"
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    meteoriteguy,
    Go piss in somebody else's pool, will you please? How 'bout a PM you obnoxious f'in loser. You are evrything I absolutely hate in the world. I swear, there is a group of guys here who just never got laid in college and are just too bitter about it.
    I post some images for you to enjoy that don't exist elsewhere and enjoy telling stories about players and memories and generally feel-good stuff, and guys like you just barge in with that kind of stuff? You are a loser. Anything you write in response to this will fall short of sensible. Note, YOU handled this poorly and CHOSE to kick the hive. I am minding my business enjoying posting images for...
    kif4hof03, GDM, Crawler, Goot, a Reggie fan, and hosts of others. I even edited a freakin photo for Gemint! We're just talking shop and everybody's having a good time. Even pandrews was cool with it. I may sell a photo off of this thread--I may not. As of now, I have not. This is just enjoyable, fun stuff.
    There are 72 posts full of information like "DUDE" directing a couple of us to purchase Pirates DVD's and to some great information from the gootster about Lambert that I didn't know and more than I can remember without going back and reading it...
    The POINT is, you are a jerk. You can't come up with SOMETHING positive to say about ANY of the posts before your little quip of nothing?!?!
    This is why I took issue with RBD and Grote15 a few months back. If you're going to piss in the pool, keep your diaper on or stay in the kiddie pool. Don't come in here with the guys who are just hanging out talking Pittsburgh baseball and start throwing jabs.
    I wonder how you would have handled this if it were not written word from behind a keyboard? I'm betting you wouldn't have handled it at all. If we were all live in a bar talking Pirates/Steelers and the good 'ol days and after two hours the first thing out of your mouth was "Patrons who laugh too loud should keep it quiet." You would be punched in the face. I'm not saying by whom, but my hand would be sore.
    That's the difference between me and guys like you. I got some in college--and you clearly did not.
    dgf

Guys,
    Please enjoy the pics and I will pacify Mr. Cantgetany by downsizing my signature.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "meteoriteguy,
    Go piss in somebody else's pool, will you please? How 'bout a PM you obnoxious f'in loser. You are evrything I absolutely hate in the world. I swear, there is a group of guys here who just never got laid in college and are just too bitter about it.
    I post some images for you to enjoy that don't exist elsewhere and enjoy telling stories about players and memories and generally feel-good stuff, and guys like you just barge in with that kind of stuff? You are a loser. Anything you write in response to this will fall short of sensible. Note, YOU handled this poorly and CHOSE to kick the hive. I am minding my business enjoying posting images for...
    kif4hof03, GDM, Crawler, Goot, a Reggie fan, and hosts of others. I even edited a freakin photo for Gemint! We're just talking shop and everybody's having a good time. Even pandrews was cool with it. I may sell a photo off of this thread--I may not. As of now, I have not. This is just enjoyable, fun stuff.
    There are 72 posts full of information like "DUDE" directing a couple of us to purchase Pirates DVD's and to some great information from the gootster about Lambert that I didn't know and more than I can remember without going back and reading it...
    The POINT is, you are a jerk. You can't come up with SOMETHING positive to say about ANY of the posts before your little quip of nothing?!?!
    This is why I took issue with RBD and Grote15 a few months back. If you're going to piss in the pool, keep your diaper on or stay in the kiddie pool. Don't come in here with the guys who are just hanging out talking Pittsburgh baseball and start throwing jabs.
    I wonder how you would have handled this if it were not written word from behind a keyboard? I'm betting you wouldn't have handled it at all. If we were all live in a bar talking Pirates/Steelers and the good 'ol days and after two hours the first thing out of your mouth was "Patrons who laugh too loud should keep it quiet." You would be punched in the face. I'm not saying by whom, but my hand would be sore.
    That's the difference between me and guys like you. I got some in college--and you clearly did not.
    dgf

Guys,
    Please enjoy the pics and I will pacify Mr. Cantgetany by downsizing my signature."

Nice frazier.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    More Steelers...
    On a related note: What year is LC Greenwoods Rookie card? Anyone have a copy to scan in and share? Not sure what that card looks like. I really like the old and simple Bengals helmets. Can't say why, really, I just like 'em. What's with the Steelers jersey here? Throwbacks in the 70's?

• Options
    His rookie card is 1972 Topps, but he was a rookie in 1969. The Steelers didn't play the Bengals in the regular season until 1970, but those uniforms "with the golden triangle" are circa the 1960's. So I'm guessing that isn't Greenwood.

1972 Greenwood Rookie

• Options
    That Cobra picture looks like it could have been used on an 84 Donruss card based on the background.
  • Options
    Crawler,
    The slide is dated 1972. That means when it was developed, however, not shot. It would be really odd for an image to remain on the roll for more than a month or two though.
    dgf
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even pandrews was cool with it. I may sell a photo off of this thread--I may not. As of now, I have not. This is just enjoyable, fun stuff.
    >>

this is pandrews first post in this thread.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    It must've been a different thread from this week image
    Still, you're probably cool with it. Be careful though; speaking in third person can lead to Rickey Henderson-like episodes...
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It must've been a different thread from this week image
    Still, you're probably cool with it. Be careful though; speaking in third person can lead to Rickey Henderson-like episodes... >>

your pictures are cool with me..

·p_A·
  • Options
    DGF,

The Steelers played the Bengals in 1968 in an exhibition game in Morgantown so it could be pre-Greenwood. Considering the Steelers and Bengals were both playing on the Astroturf of Riverfront Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium, I'm inclined to believe it was not a regular season game - at least not in 1972. I also checked the Steeler Video Team Yearbook from 1972, and they did not wear that when playing the Bengals. Lastly, #71 on the Steelers in 1972 was an offensive lineman, and I don't think Greenwood by then was playing special teams.

So, I think it's from 1968 image

Nontheless, a very nice photo.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    How come most of the previous pictures now show a red x?

PS - I want 10% of any possible sales due to this spam thread bump image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Sadly, 10% of zero is, alas, zero. Nevertheless, I had to take a few photos down to add others as my hosting site was running out of room. I'll add more.
  • Options
    <<DGF,

The Steelers played the Bengals in 1968 in an exhibition game in Morgantown so it could be pre-Greenwood. Considering the Steelers and Bengals were both playing on the Astroturf of Riverfront Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium, I'm inclined to believe it was not a regular season game - at least not in 1972. I also checked the Steeler Video Team Yearbook from 1972, and they did not wear that when playing the Bengals. Lastly, #71 on the Steelers in 1972 was an offensive lineman, and I don't think Greenwood by then was playing special teams.

So, I think it's from 1968

Nontheless, a very nice photo.
    >>

The Steelers changed over to the gold-band-on-the-sleeves uniform in 1969 and the Bengals first year was 1968, so that photo is definitely 1968.