Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DID YOU KNOW? Post an interesting sports fact!

13»

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    James Madison was the only person to have perfect attendance at the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Not even George Washington, the president of the convention was there every day.

Theodore Roosevelt was shot shortly before he was to deliver a speech. Not only would he not cancel the speech, he also wouldn't shorten it. He spoke for a couple hours and would only see a doctor when he was finished with his speech.

Also once some political enemies of Roosevelt hired a boxer to pick a fight with him, and rough him up. The boxer bumped into Roosevelt and then demanded that Teddy apologize. Before Roosevelt could say anything, the guy took a punch at him. Roosevelt quickly knocked the crap out of him, and then thanked the folks who hired the boxer, telling them he hadn't had so much fun in a long time.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    From http://www.baseball1.com/carney/index.php?storyid=42:

There is no doubt that in the first decades of baseball, first base was stolen a number of times, and you can look it up. The popular understanding is that Germany Schaefer is the only player who ever stole first, and that soon after, the rule was changed so no one else ever could.

Well, Germany Schaefer, a true comedian but also a speedy runner and fair ballplayer in his day, did steal first. I believe the instance usually cited took place September 4, 1908, Detroit vs Cleveland, Davy Jones on third and Sam Crawford at bat. The double steal was on, but as Germany slid into second base safe, the Cleveland catcher Nig Clarke held onto the ball. To set up the double-steal again, Germany took off, screaming, for first on the next pitch, and dove in headfirst in without a play. This stunned the players, fans and umpires, but it was perfectly legal. On the next pitch, the double steal worked.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    In 1909 the first baseball stadium, Forbes Field, was built in Pittsburgh, followed soon by similar stadiums in Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and New York. Forbes Field closed in 1970 when Three Rivers Stadium opened.

Pittsburgh was also the site of the first World Series. It was not at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh's Oakland section, but on the North Side in an area that is now a parking lot between Heinz Field and PNC Park.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I knew a girl in college who could suck a ping pong ball thru 50 feet of garden hose.

image >>

• Options
    what's her name!!!
  • Options
    BASEBALL IS A GAME OF FAILURE!!!!! and also.... the hardest thing to do in all sports is to hit a round object with a round object!!!!!
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>There has been at least one player from each position to win back to back MVP awards.

Can you name them? >>

1rst-frank thomas
    2nd-joe morgan
    ss-ernie banks
    3rd-mike schmidt
    left-barry bonds
    catcher-bench?????
    right-clemente?????
    center-dale murphy???
    pitcher- Was there a pitcher too?? I wouldn't have a clue.

shawn >>

Catcher- Yogi Berra
    RF- Dale Murphy
    CF Mickey Mantle
    P- Hal Newhouser >>

Jimmie Foxx was the 1st first baseman to achiev the status.
    Roger Maris completes the outfield Mantle, Murphy, & Maris
    Of course recently Mr. Bonds has pulled off the back-to-back MVP several times
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

A little Boston area trivia:

Did you know that two major league teams called Northeastern University their home, the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Braves (Atlanta Braves). The Boston Braves National League baseball team won their first world series on the South End Grounds?

rd

edit other: "Originally called Boston Arena, Matthews Arena, did you know it is the oldest indoor ice arena in the US. Opening in 1910, the arena served as the first home of the Boston Bruins, and hosted the first Celtics home basketball game in 1946? Sports greats including Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, Sugar Ray Robinson, John L. Sullivan, Marvin Hagler and Joe Louis have competed here over the years".

source: Northeastern U Alumni
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bob Feller is the only pitcher to have struck out as many players as his age

Seventeen at age 17 tying at that time the record held by Dizzy Dean >>

thats no longer true. Feller was the only until Kerry Wood did it a couple years back
    ~ I believe he had 20 in his 20YO year. >>

Shows how much attention I have been paying to BB these last years

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I knew a girl in college who could suck a ping pong ball thru 50 feet of garden hose.

image >>

>>

• Options
    Rick Wise is the only major league player to hit two home runs and throw a no-hitter in the same game.
  • Options
    After making the switch from SS to 2nd base, Rogers Hornsby proceeded to go on a 6 yr run of hitting .370 or better (including 3 yrs at .400+) leading the NL in hitting all 6 yrs. Overall, Hornby was 1st or 2nd in hitting 10 times in an 11 yr period and ended his career with the 2nd highest batting average... a mere .359.
  • Options
    - Babe Ruth hit his first and only minor league home run in Toronto -- a Canadian tale has it that the ball is still at the bottom of Lake Ontario.

- Roberto Clemente was actually property of the Brooklyn Dodgers organization, playing a year with the Montreal Royals before he was not protected and claimed by the Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Name 3 MLB HOF'ers who ended their careers in the same cities they started but with different teams.

(I'll post the answer in about 30 min. if no one comes up with 'em) >>

Add Jimmie Foxx and Rogers Hornsby to the list image >>

One more to be added... Yogi Berra.
    Poor Yogi; always getting left out... image >>

Another-Duke Snider
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Name 3 MLB HOF'ers who ended their careers in the same cities they started but with different teams.

Add Jimmie Foxx and Rogers Hornsby to the list image >>

One more to be added... Yogi Berra.
    Poor Yogi; always getting left out... image >>

Another-Duke Snider >>

Oh and Dizzy Dean finished with the STL Browns.
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options

<< <i>James Madison was the only person to have perfect attendance at the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Not even George Washington, the president of the convention was there every day.

Theodore Roosevelt was shot shortly before he was to deliver a speech. Not only would he not cancel the speech, he also wouldn't shorten it. He spoke for a couple hours and would only see a doctor when he was finished with his speech.

Also once some political enemies of Roosevelt hired a boxer to pick a fight with him, and rough him up. The boxer bumped into Roosevelt and then demanded that Teddy apologize. Before Roosevelt could say anything, the guy took a punch at him. Roosevelt quickly knocked the crap out of him, and then thanked the folks who hired the boxer, telling them he hadn't had so much fun in a long time. >>

Teddy was saved by the bullet because it hit his speech in his pocket, which he went on to give
    Teddy lost sight in his left eye afte sparring with a boxer during his second term

Obvously our most outdoorsy president

Nice one

joe
  • Options

Did you know that Will Clark of the Texas Rangers is a direct descendant of William Clark of Lewis and Clark?

rd

edit: Also, did you know that Steve Young, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is the great-great-grandson of Mormon leader Brigham Young?

I wonder just how many great-great grandsons olde Brigham had? Most likley, 50% of all Utah males! image
  • Options

Did you know that baseballer Connie Mack's real name was Cornelius McGilicuddy? image

rd
  • Options

<< <i>Did you know that Will Clark of the Texas Rangers is a direct descendant of William Clark of Lewis and Clark?

rd

edit: Also, did you know that Steve Young, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is the great-great-grandson of Mormon leader Brigham Young?

I wonder just how many great-great grandsons olde Brigham had? Most likley, 50% of all Utah males! image >>

Who were commissioned by Thomas Jefferson, the 3rd president, whose secretary of state was James Madison......

2 degrees of seperation there

joe
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Ted Williams batted .406 in 1941 and did NOT win the AL MVP.
    Well, Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak had something to do with it, but still interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hank Aaron- Milwaukee
    Babe Ruth- Boston

Drawing a blank for the 3rd >>

I think Willie Mays is the third.

Chris

Edited to say that I'm always just a little slow in typing these replys. image >>

Ruth,Mays, Aaron...but don't forget Duke Snider, started w/Brooklyn Dodgers, ended w NY Mets.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I think this is true, since it is coming from memory...

In his final college game at LSU, in the NCAA Tournament, Shaquille O'Neal was 12-12 from the free throw line.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Bill Walton shot 21-22 FG's in the National Championship game en route to 44 points and a(nother) UCLA victory.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Before Chipper Jones, the last switch hitter to win MVP??

Mantle you say?? Pete Rose??

...how about Vida Blue! >>

That's not true. Caminiti won it in 96. Pendleton won it in 91. McGee won it in 1985. Rose won it in 1973.

All were switch hitters.

Vida Blue won it in 1971. >>

The question should have said American League
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ted Williams batted .406 in 1941 and did NOT win the AL MVP.
    Well, Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak had something to do with it, but still interesting. >>

Ted Williams also won the Triple Crown TWICE!!

And he didn't win the MVP in either of those years either. image
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Deacon Phillippe won the first World Series game, in 1903. He also had 5 complete games in the series, winning 3 and losing 2, and the Pirates still lost the series!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Ted Williams also won the Triple Crown TWICE!!
    And he didn't win the MVP in either of those years either. image >>

Both times losing it to Yankees with dramatically lower numbers!
    1942 Ted has a .356/.499/.648 37/120 line and loses to...
    NYY Joe Gordon .322/.409/.491 18/103
    1947 Ted has a .343/.499/.634 32/114 line and loses to...
    NYY DiMaggio w/ .315/.391/.522 20/97
    ... He was robed! Stupid NY bias!

Also interesting; the 1953 MVP ~ Cleveland's Al Rosen ~ missed the Triple crown by .00161 points in BA. Thats 1 measly hit or 2 fewer ABs difference...
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    After the New York Rangers won the cup in 1940, Hall of Famer Lynn Patrick and teammates celebrated by urinating in it.

This might explain why it took 54 years for them to win another one.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1968, Carl Yastrzemski was the only AL batter to hit .300 or better (he hit .301).

Steve
  • Options

Did you know that Priest Holmes became the first player who was not drafted out of college to lead the NFL in rushing in 2001?

rd

• Options

Did you know that in order to supply enough leather to make a year’s worth of footballs for the NFL, 3,000 cow hides are required? image

rd

• Options

Tim McGraw is the son of the late Tug McGraw. (It was said that Tim did not know Tug was has dad until age 11 when he looked at his birth certificate.)

source: My Mother image

Tim McGraw's Father, Tug, Dies Baseball Great Dead Of Brain Cancer by Neil Haislop, Country Forever Pr

NASHVILLE, TN [Wednesday Jan.7.2004] /J98.com/ -- Tim McGraw's father, baseball hall-of-fame pitcher, Tug McGraw, died Monday of the brain cancer that he fought for the last year. McGraw died at Tim's home in suburban Nashville. He had been battling the disease since March when he underwent surgery for a malignant tumor.

DETAILS ' Tug McGraw's illness came as a shock to fans and friends alike last spring. He was at Phillies' training camp in Clearwater, Fla., as a special instructor, when, on March 12, he was hospitalized and the tumor was discovered. He later said there had been signs something was wrong. For example, he mistakenly showed up at the ballpark on an off day, reports AP.

``We lost a part of Mets history tonight,'' Mets owner Fred Wilpon said last night. ``Tug was a battler on and off the field. I know he fought the disease with every ounce of energy he had. We'll all miss him dearly.''

TIM KNEW HIS FATHER WAS TERMINALLY ILL
    When Tim McGraw learned of his father's illness early last year, Tug was given just weeks to live. 'That was not acceptable,' Tim declared, and he and Faith set out to find the best doctors they could to help give his dad a fighting chance.

Why Tim jumped in to help was simple, 'I don't want to get into that too much 'cause it's really personal,' he told us. 'Just like when anything like that happens to anybody's family it's a devastating thing, but I guess the strength of your bonds, no matter how they were formed, you try to do the best thing that you can. So you know, everybody just tries to do their best and make everything as comfortable and as positive as they can.'

After a second surgery, Tim learned that his father was terminally ill, 'He's had another surgery and it's a type of cancer that's not going to go away,' Tim told us. 'So it's just a matter of quality of life and enjoying the time you have without trying to think about what kind of time restraints you have.'

Tug's former teammate, Bob Boone, who was the Phillies' catcher from 1972-81, remained a close friend.

'I was real pleased I was able to be with him a little bit the last couple of months,'' Boone said from his home in Anaheim, Calif. ``All of a sudden it hit and he went real quick, which probably is a blessing.'

'He put up a gallant fight,'' reports Tim's publicist, Jessie Schmidt. ``Publicly, he never let on that he had gotten a raw deal. He was Tug through the entire thing. As he always said, `I front-loaded my life, just like my contract.' His passing is hard to take because his presence meant so much to people around him.'' Funeral arrangements were still pending at press time.
    Copyright ©2007 Net Music Countdown®. All Rights Reserved.

rd
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Tinkers to Evers to Chance--probably the most feared double play tandem. Tinkers and Evers didn't even speak to each other for 2 years while playing together due to a cab fare dispute. And at times even got into fights on the field during the game.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is the only player to collect hits for two major league teams in one day?

Kirk Gibson. Tigers and Dodgers. >>

Gibson never played for these teams in the same year.....

Joel Youngblood did accomplish this feat: he not only had hits for two different teams but also in different cities
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Did you know that:
    In 1968, Bob Gibson and Denny McLain won Cy Young Awards AND their leagues' MVP Award?

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Before Chipper Jones, the last switch hitter to win MVP??

Mantle you say?? Pete Rose??

...how about Vida Blue! >>

That's not true. Caminiti won it in 96. Pendleton won it in 91. McGee won it in 1985. Rose won it in 1973.

All were switch hitters.

Vida Blue won it in 1971. >>

Yes the correct trivia would be the last AL switchhitter to win MVP
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Did you know that...

in 1984, Willie Hernandez, a relief pitcher, won both the MVP and the Cy Young award, but he didn't win the Rolaids Relief Award!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's a"fact" but fun none the less.

Some historians have researched old records and discovered that in 1932 Jimmie Foxx hit nine balls against screens in St. Louis and Cleveland that weren't there when Babe hit 60. Foxx also hit two homers that seasom in games that were rained out and the homers disappeared from the record books. Add them up and Jimmie Foxx could have had 69 homers in 1932.

Taken from the book "Sluggers, Histories Heaviest Hitters!"
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I was actually at this game in 1993 or 1994---Jose Canseco pitched 1 inning of baseball, promptly giving up 2 hits and 3 walks (ERA 27.00)

Steve Carlton went 27-10 in 1972 with an ERA of 1.95--the 10 losses is what gets me with that ERA. The other amazing part of the story is they only won 59 games all year!!