Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DID YOU KNOW? Post an interesting sports fact!

I thought an interesting thread would be to post an interesting sports fact! So post your interesting sports fact today!

My interesting fact is: In 1978 the New York Yankees paid;

Catfish Hunter: $ 600,000 and
Ron Guidry: $30,000 (Oh! I forgot to mention Guidry won the Cy Young going 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA in 1978)

rd

edit: source: www.Baseball-Almanac.com (...and Reggie Jackson earned $580,000 in 1978 as a Yank!)

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Mark "The Bird" Fidrych who won 19 games as a rookie in 1976, would go on to win just 10 games from 1977 to 1983.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Herb Washington appeared in 105 games for the 1974-75 Oakland A's without a SINGLE at-bat and he wasn't a pitcher.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Herb Washington appeared in 105 games for the 1974-75 Oakland A's without a SINGLE at-bat and he wasn't a pitcher. >>

The only baseball card to ever state Pinch Runner on the position, 1975 Topps!!image
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The good, bad, ugly, and embarrassing career of Vince Coleman:

Good-Swiped 50 consecutive bases w/o being caught

Bad-Did not know who Jackie Robinson was

Ugly-Threw a lit firecracker into a crowd of people

Embarassing-Was gobbled up by a tarp on the field
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Hoyt Wilhelm hit a home run in his first major league at-bat, and never hit another one again!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭✭
    If you took away ALL of Hank Aaron's 755 Home Runs he would STILL have over 3,000 career hits
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Mark "The Bird" Fidrych who won 19 games as a rookie in 1976, would go on to win just 10 games from 1977 to 1983. >>

Fidrych also beat ever team in the AL in '76.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    The Yankees were infact NOT the first team to wear numbers on the backs of their jerseys in an official game, their April 19th home opener was rained out and the Cleveland Indians instead were the first.

Also interesting Jersey number fact; in 1970 White Sox player Charles May became the only player to ever wear his birthday on his uniform. He choose number 17, so the back of his jersey read "May 17" ~ the day he was born.
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    Percy Howard caught only 1 pass in his brief NFL career. He played 1 season with the Dallas Cowboys in 1975. He caught a touchdown pass in Super Bowl X for his only career CATCH.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    in this player's first big league season he played 1 game 3 plate appearances, 1 walk 2 strikeouts. 1 putout, 2 assists, 2 errors. Later played in 39 world series games, 7 straight all star games, 3 straight gold gloves.

gil hodges

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Also interesting Jersey number fact; in 1970 White Sox player Charles May became the only player to ever wear his birthday on his uniform. He choose number 17, so the back of his jersey read "May 17" ~ the day he was born. >>

I think you mean Carlos May (not Charles)..who was also the brother of Reds/Orioles slugger Lee May
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Fact I read recently on the back of a mid 80's baseball card that really surprised me. Forgive me for not knowing the exact years but it was something like from 1979-1984 who lead the major leagues in lowest average ERA? Answer below....

Jerry Reuss.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Before Chipper Jones, the last switch hitter to win MVP??

Mantle you say?? Pete Rose??

...how about Vida Blue!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round the World? Well, concidentally, another player with a similar sounding name, Robby Thompson (no relation) played from 1986-96 with, concidentally, the same team Bobby played for, the Giants.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    John Paciorek, Tom's older brother, played one game in the major leagues:

He went 3 for 3 with 3 RBIs and 4 runs scored and 2 walks - 9/29/63
    Wondo

• Options

<< <i>I think you mean Carlos May (not Charles)..who was also the brother of Reds/Orioles slugger Lee May >>

image Oops... hehehe

Yeah, Lee and Carlos were also the first brothers to play against eachother in an All-Star game too

Oh and GoSteelers, that "firecracker" was an M-100 ~ the equivalent of 1/3 a stick of dynamite and it injured two small kids... Worst part, it wasnt even the first time it happened on that team! Saberhagen threw one at a bunch of reporters a short time before this horrible event. What a mess the Mets were that year...
    Currently searching for 05 Upper Deck Origins & Old Judge Autos #/5 (Feller, Hafner, V.Martinez & Rosen)
    and 06 SP Authentic “By The Numbers” Letter Autos (Sabathia, Hafner, Sowers, V.Martinez & Lee)
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Randy Johnson once killed a passing bird with a fastball. Damn thing exploded in a cloud of feathers. Pretty cool actually. I have the video snippet.
  • Options
    Babe Ruth replaced FB HOFer and legendary Bears owner George Halas in right field for the Yankees in 1920.

*laugh* Now wouldn't that be something if he really did??????
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    << Herb Washington appeared in 105 games for the 1974-75 Oakland A's without a SINGLE at-bat and he wasn't a pitcher. >>

The only baseball card to ever state Pinch Runner on the position, 1975 Topps!!

Great trivia. Thanks. I forwarded that to an A's fan who told me that Herb was NOT a good base runner. I looked it up and for his career he stole 31 and was caught 17 times. About 1/3.
  • Options
    HORSE RACING:

SIR BARTON, in 1919, made his first ever career win a big one as he won the Kentucky Derby in his first start of 1919 after going 0 for 6 in 1918. He was the first winner of what would become known as the TRIPLE CROWN of horse racing (winning the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes).

• Options
    Who got the last hit off of Sandy Koufax?
    Who made the last out of the 1969 World Series?

Both are Davey Johnson
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Yankees were infact NOT the first team to wear numbers on the backs of their jerseys in an official game, their April 19th home opener was rained out and the Cleveland Indians instead were the first.

Also interesting Jersey number fact; in 1970 White Sox player Charles May became the only player to ever wear his birthday on his uniform. He choose number 17, so the back of his jersey read "May 17" ~ the day he was born. >>

Adding to this, the numbers worn were the players respective spot in the batting order, that's why Ruth was #3 and Gehrig #4

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    April 17, 1979 - only 653 people showed up to watch the A's defeat the Seattle Mariners 6-5.

The A's only drew 306,763 fans that year, an average of 3,787 per game.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Name 3 MLB HOF'ers who ended their careers in the same cities they started but with different teams.

(I'll post the answer in about 30 min. if no one comes up with 'em)
  • Options

<< <i>Who got the last hit off of Sandy Koufax?
    Who made the last out of the 1969 World Series?

Both are Davey Johnson >>

Heh. image Who was Roger Clemens' 4000th strikeout victim? Who was the final out of the Red Sox's historic '04 World Series Win? Who was the final out of the Red Sox '05 season ending their one year reign as world champions?

Edgar "Rent-a-Wreck" Renteria
  • Options

<< <i>Name 3 MLB HOF'ers who ended their careers in the same cities they started but with different teams.

(I'll post the answer in about 30 min. if no one comes up with 'em) >>

Hank Aaron- Milwaukee
    Babe Ruth- Boston

Drawing a blank for the 3rd
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Name 3 MLB HOF'ers who ended their careers in the same cities they started but with different teams.

Hank Aaron- Milwaukee
    Babe Ruth- Boston

Drawing a blank for the 3rd >>

Willie Mays? NY Giants > NY Mets
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

Hank Aaron- Milwaukee
    Babe Ruth- Boston

Drawing a blank for the 3rd >>

I think Willie Mays is the third.

Chris

Edited to say that I'm always just a little slow in typing these replys. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

Yep. Ruth, Mays, Aaron.

Santo did it as well, but, alas, is not in the HOF as he should be.

Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Name the only NFL player to have at least one reception from three teams.
    Oh yeah, in the same season.

Reggie Rucker
    1971 Dallas, New England and the Giants. He had a total of four receptions this year. Heck, one for a TD
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Jose Cruz can slam dunk a basketball from a standing start.

I remember that from the back of card #790 from the 1987 Topps set. No crap.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I was at this game, though i cannot recall the exact date--Bob Boone threw out Rickey Henderson at 2nd base twice in one game. At the time it was mathmaticly imposssible to throw him out.

Explanation was---pitcher to home at 100mph was 1.1 seconds, from home to 2nd was 2.3 seconds. Typically rickey was in the 3.1 to 3.3 range from first to second with a lead.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Ed Mathews played for the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew a girl in college who could suck a ping pong ball thru 50 feet of garden hose.

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even tho the Cubs made Take Me Out to the Ballgame an institution with the 7th inning stretch...

The last time they won the World Series was 1908 - the same year the song was copyrighted by Jack Norworth.

Mike
  • Options

Edited to remove evidence of my sometime inability to think before I post.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone remember Bobby Thomson's Shot Heard 'Round the World? Well, concidentally, another player with a similar sounding name, Robby Thompson (no relation) played from 1986-96 with, concidentally, the same team Bobby played for, the Giants. >>

The pitcher giving up Bobby Thompson’s “Shot heard round the world” in the One Game Playoff - Ralph Branca - would go on to be the father-in-law of Bobby Valentine, who 20 years after “the Shot” would be playing his rookie season for the team it was hit against, the Dodgers (1971).

49 years later the Branca family would get their revenge when Valentine, now coaching the NY Dodgers/Giants replacement team – the Mets - beat the now SanFran Giants on route their 2000 WS berth.

The final game of that series saw another “Bobby”; Mets pitcher Bobby Jones” would pitch a complete game 1 hitter. The only player to get a hit that day was Jeff Kent, a player who would go on to play for both the Dodgers and Giants.

The manager of those 2000 Giants – Dusty Baker – was playing for the Braves in 1971 when Valentine was playing his rookie year with the Dodgers. The 2000 Braves would actually be the team beating out the Mets for the division title, making the Mets the Wild Card. The runner up to the Wild Card in 2000? The Dodgers of course…

Dusty in his playing years would leave the Braves for the Dodgers and then move onto the Giants.

Also interesting, the man on deck when the “Shot” was hit was a rookie named Willie Mays; the player made famous by “The Catch” in the 1954 WS vs the Indians.

The last out of that 2000 NY/SF series was made by Barry Bonds, the God Son of Mays and the player currently chasing the HR record set by Brave Great Hank Aaron. Aaron became the HR leader in 1974, hitting number 715 off Dodger Pitcher Al Downing. Playing the OF that day with Aaron? Dusty Baker. And if it isn’t enough, Downing happened to be a 1971 Dodger teammate of Bobby Valentine.

The Mets would go on to lose the 2000 WS to the Yankees, the same team that the 1951 Giants would lose to.

The 51 Yankees featured pitcher Johnny Sain, a player who came to the team midseason from the Braves and of course is famous for being part of the chant “Spahn and Sain and pray for rain”. Sain would be instrumental in leading the Braves to their WS 1948 birth and eventual loss to the Indians.

The next times the Braves would see the WS they would beat the Yankees in 57 and lose to them in 58 ~ both Braves teams being led by Hank Aaron of course.

The next Brave team to make it to the series would be 1991, in great part to the heroics of David Justice ~ a player who would be traded from the Indians to the Yankees in 2000, helping lead them to that WS birth and win over Bobby Valentine and the Mets.

The Braves, again led by Justice, would win their first WS since that 1957 season in 1995 against the Indians who were making their first WS appearance since 1954 vs Mays and the Giants; the series producing “the Catch”.

That 1995 Braves/Indians series sound familiar? Yep, just like the one Sain and the Boston Braves lost to the Indians in 1948. The Indians that year won a one game playoff vs the Boston Red Sox ~ the other team famous for losing One Game Playoffs…

… this could keep going for hours image
  • Options
    Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak

Bill Ripken had 20 hr and 20 FF versions
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Randy Johnson once killed a passing bird with a fastball. Damn thing exploded in a cloud of feathers. Pretty cool actually. I have the video snippet. >>

VIDEO LINK TO JOHNSON'S PITCH

rd

YIKES! image
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Dave Winfield was drafted by four professional sports leagues, MLB, NFL, NBA, and ABA.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Gil Watson was the first player to steal home twice in one game.

Lee
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Johnny Bench is the only registered Professional Bowler in MLB history.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    On the Greenmonster scoreboard, you'll find the initials of Tom and Jean Yawkey in Morse code.

• Options

<< <i>I believe Ed Mathews played for the Braves in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. >>

but didnt he retire with the tigers?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Since the NFL-AFL merger, Tony Dungy is the only player who intercepted a pass and threw an interception in the same game.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Herb Washington appeared in 105 games for the 1974-75 Oakland A's without a SINGLE at-bat and he wasn't a pitcher. >>

The only baseball card to ever state Pinch Runner on the position, 1975 Topps!!image >>

I never noticed that that!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Only two men have played in the Little League World Series, College World Series and Major League baseball World Series:

Ed Vosberg
    1973 (Tucson, Arizona - runner up)
    1980 University of Arizona (National Champs)
    1997 World Series (Florida - champs)

Jason Varitek
    1984 (Altamonte Springs, Florida - runner up)
    1994 Georgia Tech (runner up)
    2004 World Series (Red Sox - champs)

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Sparky Jones is the only NCAA player to record 40 assists in a game.

Lee
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Name the only player to have 200 or more career hits against EVERY team he faced in his career (excluding the World Series).
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    One of the most amazing facts that I picked up on along time ago was concerning Walter Johnson's 1913 season. He went 36-7 with an ERA of 1.14. Thats really nice and others have beat it .

Whats never been touch before nor to the present is the fact that its his leading in the "3 " main non-traditional cartogories in the same season. *(1) Highest Strikeouts/ per 9 inninings , *(2) lowest walks / per 9 innings , *(3) fewest hits / per 9 innings. All in the same season.

Absolute dominance as a pitcher .

Never been equal although , Roger Clemons has finished in the top 3 of each catogory in the same season I believe in a couple of seasons.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell