Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Washington/Grant medal

Does anyone know anything about this little Washington/Grant medal (or token). It's about the size of a US small cent and appears to be made of brass or bronze.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I think that's a restrike, but not 100% sure. The artist is Pacquet (?).

Here's one that I have that is original. Issued in silver. The restrikes are fairly common. When I bought this one, I was given a restrike similar to yours.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea on the restrike thing, but that medal's series is: Baker 249-256A.

Heritage has photos of the 252 (silver) and 253A (copper) if you have an account. Just search for "undated washington grant medal" 1876 is suggested as the date in one of their listings. They were stuck by the US Mint, and Anthony Paquet was the engraver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    This is one of a set of small presidential medalettes issued beginning in the late 19th century by the US Mint.

The brassy golden color, and speckled fields reveal it as a 20th century restrike, with matte sandblasted finish.

These are not uncommon, I have at least 2 or 3 of them. Since they were one of the less expensive medals you could buy in the US mint giftshop, many were sold. I don't think the US Mint makes them anymore, but they might, and did until at least the mid-late 1970's.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file