Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are the toughest error cards to find from 1970-present in your opinion?

'82 Littlefield error? '90 UD Witt Error? '87 Opening Day Bonds Error?

Just curious as to your thoughts.

I remember when I was about 11 years old going through every '88 topps collection I could find looking for the white letter Keith Comstock error. Never found one. haha.

I also went through about 7 boxes of '89 UD and never found a Murphy RevNeg. I always wanted one of those. I remember when those were bringing $150 EASY.

Of course, I never had any luck with errors. I bought three boxes of '89 Fleer looking for the Ripkin error (which is an easy find in uncorrected form), and never found one. I did acquire one shortly afterwards though.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your thoughts.

-- Ryan Bell

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    The NNO Thomas, 1990 Topps??
  • Options
    1990 Topps NNOF Thomas

1990 or was it 89 Pro Set Fred Marion

1989 Fleer Bill Ripken-

White Box (I might have one !!!!! )
    and 2 other versions (cant give specifics as I need them, not more competition image plus one can be EASILY duplicated. Not the saw cut or Whiteout)

1989 Fleer handwritten i in Parrish (never seen)

1989 Fleer Checklist with players positions listed (never seen card 655 I think)
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    How about the 1982 Pascual Perez no "pitcher" variation?
  • Options
    the Dale Murphy Rev. Neg. card only came from only the very earliest cases if I recall. I busted 10-12 boxes and never got one. ( I had bought 3 cases from Upper Deck direct) That was a phenomenal time for card shows. I think I triped my money; sold out a whole case at a show came home to show my Mom how I did (I was 17 at the time) dumped this huge wad of cash on the table; her jaw hit the floor lol. Weren't there two or three other errors in the 89 UD set?

How many Billy Ripkin variatons are there from 89'?
  • Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭

Funny you mention...I actually have a 1988 Topps Keith Comstock White Letter variation in PSA 9 (I got from a pack so many years ago when I was a kid) along with a 1987 Topps Don Mattingly All-Star no Trademark in PSA 9.

Anyone interested???

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    How many Billy Ripkin variatons are there from 89'? -14 still looking for the others. I didnt count ones that might be printing flaws.

1989 Upper Deck errors-

Cards #1 - 100 can be found with either an R or TM next to the team logo on
    the front.

Unconfirmed cards:
    636 A Herm Winningham [W1nningham] on back
    636 B Herm Winningham last name corrected on back
    701 A Checklist 701-800 Both logos on back
    701 B Checklist 701-800 MLB logo reversed on back
    701 C Checklist 701-800 Both logos missing on back

Confirmed cards:
    13 A Gary Sheffield SS upside down on front
    13 B Gary Sheffield Corrected
    72 A Brian Holton photo of Shawn Hillegas, ball not visible
    72 B Brian Holton Correct photo
    321 A Gary Varsho back photo of Mike Bielecki, batting
    right
    321 B Gary Varsho Correct photo in road uniform,
    batting left
    357 A Dale Murphy reversed negative
    357 B Dale Murphy corrected
    583 A Mike Gallego back photo reversed negative
    583 B Mike Gallego back photo corrected
    627 A Bill Schroeder back photo of Ronn Reynolds, shin guards
    627 B Bill Schroeder Correct photo, arms crossed
    628 A Fred Manrique back photo of Ozzie Guillen, throwing
    628 B Fred Manrique correct photo, batting
    652 A Pat Sheridan no position on front
    652 B Pat Sheridan position on front
    659 A Jose Canseco Eagle logo in black
    659 B Jose Canseco Eagle logo in blue

Heres a pic of the tough Marion
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    1974 Topps Alou card missing either team name of his position, can not remember which it was??
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Sorry - jumped the gun there....

The 1974 Alou variation was Jesus - Oakland A's
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Funny, a lot of the reverse negative error cards in early 1980s Fleer and Donruss that were supposedly so "common" now seem really hard to find. It's easier to find the John Littlefield than say the 1981 Fleer Tim Flannery or 1981 Donruss Buck Martinez rev neg errors. There's currently an '82 Donruss Phil Garner on ebay buy-it-now for $60. I seriously doubt it's worth that but it's instructive of its scarcity nonetheless.
  • Options
    Not rare but.........Bought this cool rack with Comstock Team name color variation showing. Recently I needed $$ so I tried to sell but it didnt and now Im glad as I dont need the $$. Now to find the other 2 variations showing. Whats cool is it has Gwynn who is on the same team showing.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Any of you, um, older guys remember the 1979 Bump Wills error. He played for the Rangers and had cards with the headings "Rangers" and "BlueJays"(error). I use to have both but sold them in 1988.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    1980 Topps Fred Stanley in Yellow Letter not Red Letters
    1982 Fleer John Littlefield pitching left handed variation

Julen

ps: anybody know how much last psa 10 littlefield error variation sold for?
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    ps: anybody know how much last psa 10 littlefield error variation sold for? Nope, but BGS 9 was $75 and I have seen raw copies sell for $40 and less.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    If I remember right this one sells for a ok price.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    post more pics when you mention the errors! image

I'd like to see 'em!

That Comstock rack pack is awesome. If you ever want to sell it, let me know. image

What are the errors on the Pro Set cards shown?
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options

<< <i>What are the errors on the Pro Set cards shown? >>

The Marion has a 49er in the background, who because of a loose belt, appears, uh, very well endowed. Pro Set eventually airbrushed it.

I believe the manley error is the card's number. It should have been 77 or 72 but not 772.
  • Options

<< <i>post more pics when you mention the errors! image

That Comstock rack pack is awesome. If you ever want to sell it, let me know. image

What are the errors on the Pro Set cards shown? >>

What errors do you want to see?

For now Im keeping the rack. I might send it to GAI or I might sell it. Aside from "adult" errors I also collect Star Wars Troopers and well, they have 15+ coming out this year so I might be forced to sell it later.

Pro Set errros-
    Marion-see the belt hanging down from the one player? It looks like his -- so they quickly corrected it.

Manley-Hmm, I always thought it was the Drug Abuse mention.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Does anybody have a list of the 1989 UD errors and a description of the errors?
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Manley-Hmm, I always thought it was the Drug Abuse mention. >>

That is a rather personal bio for the back of a football card.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody have a list of the 1989 UD errors and a description of the errors? >>

I posted the list about 13 replies up. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I cannot believe I missed that. Thank you.
  • Options
    great... now i am going to have to go through all of my 88 topps cards again. i didn't know there was an error/variation. it was the first set i officially collected, should be fun to dig through them.

remeber the cards they inserted into 1988 topps packs so that you could order the glossy all-star set? i have a few of those that have strange print marks on them. some have a large black arrow covering something, i thought i had one that had that something on it with no arrow but i can't remember.
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    The 1986 Donruss Highlights cards of Roger Clemens. Error cards contained white lettering of the word Highlights. Not sure of any other players cards in set as I only collect Clemens. If anyone has one I'd be interested. Rich
  • Options
    There's an '88 Topps variation of Eddie Murray's record breaker card. The hard-to-find version has a black box stamped on the card with details of the record.

I managed to grab one of those from a pack back in '88.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    McGwire record (white triangle by left foot
    18 Al Leiter (NY on shirt, photo is actually Al Leiter)
    778 Keith Comstock Team name is blue or white and yellow name and blue team.

and I think a few other errors ?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this card was ever corrected...and I can't find a photo of it, but the 1995 SP Dennis Rodman is very revealing with a high leg-kicking rebound. Back when I was in 4th grade or so, all the kids and the local card shop called it the "x-rated card".

- Joe
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The Boardwalk and Baseball cards without the line are very tough to find.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    sounds like i have plenty to look for. i have seen that murray before. maybe i will still have it. i do recall noticing some color variations in team/player names when i bought these (10 years old).
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think this card was ever corrected...and I can't find a photo of it, but the 1995 SP Dennis Rodman is very revealing with a high leg-kicking rebound. Back when I was in 4th grade or so, all the kids and the local card shop called it the "x-rated card".

- Joe >>

I was told both of these were that card. When enlarged you can see though it is a shadow. I could be wrong but it wasnt what I thought it was.

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    1974 Topps Baseball #599 "San Diego small print" version.

Only card I need to complete the set. Haven't found one
    available in several years.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    By far, the hardest error card to find is the 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt error card. I have been trying to find that card for years.
  • Options
    Keep checking Ebay. I bought my 1974 Topps "Small Print" on Ebay. If you don't mind paying over paying, Larry Fritsch Cards usually has this card in stock.

<< <i>1974 Topps Baseball #599 "San Diego small print" version.

Only card I need to complete the set. Haven't found one
    available in several years. >>

• Options

<< <i>By far, the hardest error card to find is the 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt error card. I have been trying to find that card for years. >>

Any pictures of it? I looked everywhere to no avail.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options

<< <i>By far, the hardest error card to find is the 1990 Upper Deck Mike Witt error card. I have been trying to find that card for years. >>

So its a rectangle not a triangle right? I saw a huge black rectangle on the back of a UD card about 2 years ago and it sold for around $200. I emailed my buddy who might have the pic and will post if so.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here's the Littlefield '82 Fleer Error.

These are getting super hard to come by.

Cut and paste the URL (pic is too big to post directly): http://collectabit.com/littlefiedpsa931.jpg
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    '89FleerRipkenCollector....

None of the pics you posted are showing up. I'm getting red x's for everything, and it's only for your pics. :/
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    If I remember right, Mike Witt is in a Yankees uniform and I think you are right, it is a rectangle on the back, not a triangle. Sorry about the misinformation.

<< <i>

So its a rectangle not a triangle right? I saw a huge black rectangle on the back of a UD card about 2 years ago and it sold for around $200. I emailed my buddy who might have the pic and will post if so. >>

• Options

<< <i>'89FleerRipkenCollector....

None of the pics you posted are showing up. I'm getting red x's for everything, and it's only for your pics. :/ >>

I was moving pics to different folders. Do they display now ???
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    The 1974 599 San Diego Small Print is not an error, just short printed. The Washington and San Diego Large Print are the errors.
  • Options
    I have a 1996 Upper Deck SPX Rod Woodson card , On the back it has his date of birth as 3/10/95 that would make him 1 year old .

Would that be considered an error card , or no , you guys are not talking about errors like that ?
  • Options
    There's the 1989 Fleer Jeff Treadway with the "target" or "bulls eye" above his head. It still brings decent change for an old error card.
  • Options
    The first error I ever heard about as a collector was the Craig/Graig Nettles 1981 Fleer Error. They spelled his name wrong. From what I understand, the corrected version is the rarer of the two. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    (error version scan lifted from ebay).

Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options

<< <i>I have a 1996 Upper Deck SPX Rod Woodson card , On the back it has his date of birth as 3/10/95 that would make him 1 year old .

Would that be considered an error card , or no , you guys are not talking about errors like that ? >>

Yeah that definitely counts. Thanks for bringing it to the table!

However, I think the "meat" of the thread are about errors that have rare versions.....as in the error version being extremely tough to find, while the corrected version isn't (or vice versa)

-- Ryan
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    i dug through what 88 topps i have left (apparently i am missing a lot of them). the comstock i have is blue... i couldn't find the murray or the all star glossy order variations that i remember; they must be in the "missing" boxes. the only boxes that i found were marked "extras" so my sets and good (for 1988) cards are missing.

i did find a tim conroy with white name lettering. the rest of the cardinals cards are black. anyone have any info on it?

i also thought i had some 1990 upper deck but i couldn't find them either. hmmm. maybe mom did some cleaning all those years ago...
    White Whales:
  • Options

<< <i>There's the 1989 Fleer Jeff Treadway with the "target" or "bulls eye" above his head. It still brings decent change for an old error card. >>

Wow !!! I recently sold my Target and others here It was Target, 3 Marlboro variations and almost all other 89 Fleer errrors and corrected (minus the FF) and it sold for $25. I had to sell but I think I paid $15 for Target and $15 for Marlboro. Never have found those in packs.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

i did find a tim conroy with white name lettering. the rest of the cardinals cards are black. anyone have any info on it?

>>

hmm...never heard of that one....pics? image
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    1988 Topps Errors-

3 - Mark McGwire RB
    4 - Eddie Murray RB
    18 - Al Leiter
    528 - Checklist
    778 - Keith Comstock
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Not sure how rare, but here is the image.
  • Options
    More 1988 Topps errors-

88 Topps #179 Charlie Puleo -- E in Braves incomplete + corrected

88 Topps #739 Daryl Boston -- with and without green line all the way down his bat

A bunch of new variations here. All were corrected and are similar to the McGwire record breaker error.

#229 Jeff Musselman - right side of topps rookie cup is missing yellow between cup and base of cup

#637 Jay Bell - purple on 2nd N in Indians incomplete

#211 Frank DiPino - B in Cubs incomplete

#792 John Tudor - top of 2nd A in Cardinals incomplete

#234 Ken Dayley - 1st A in Cardinals incomplete
    imageimageimage