Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wowee! PSA 10 '84 Stephenson sells for...

$2,605!

Stephenson 10
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That's crazy! There are obviously people with MUCH more disposable income than I!

Plus, not too nitpick, but the picture looks tilted. I know the card is tilted in the holder but I think the picture has a slight tilt to it also.

Oh ya, plus, maybe I am not much of a football fan but I never heard of him.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Thats the dude who has the #1 football hof rookies set I believe. He goes deep on a lot of cards he needs.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I don't care how much money I had, that is just stupid.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Look at the bidding, went from $350+ to $2,500, crazy!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care how much money I had, that is just stupid. >>

That's not very nice now is it? When you have collecting goals, you do what it takes, within your means, to reach them. I've always said, if you're happy with your purchase, then that's all that matters. End of story. I've never been one of those people who solicited opinions for "Did I pay too much for this?", "Was this a good buy?", etc. I'm sure fight4olddc is the same way. In fact I know he is.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I wonder who the under bidder was?
    There's a $2100+ gap between the number two bidder and the third place gent.

Unreal price.

I guess I should have tried to get more for my Lenny Moore PSA 9 RC.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    10 is tough on this as the pop indicates. what an unreal price. i've tried to pull a 10 on that in the past and 9 was the best i could do with many 8s in the mix.

the card is tilted, imo.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder who the under bidder was? >>

I was wondering the exact same thing. Doesn't appear to be a shill either.
  • Options
    I was going for being honest, which doesn't always coincide with nice. Take the card out of that holder and tell me how much the winning bidder would pay.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I think the consensus is that with this price and the abundance of 84 Topps football out there we will see some more tens on this card. If someone doesn't care about resell value of his collection then it was a good buy. I think it was an impulsive bid driven by someone who just had to have it now.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>

Oh ya, plus, maybe I am not much of a football fan but I never heard of him. >>

He is one of the best centers to ever play the game. I remember the guy actually played center in an NFL game with one arm in a sling! I don't see how that was even possible.

That being said, that bidder must have REALLY wanted that card. Wow.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    a one-armed center?? that IS pretty amazing.....strike my last comment
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    PSA 9's bring $100+, so the PSA 10 hammer price isn't completely and totally out of whack. How many PSA 10's sell for 20-25x what a PSA 9 sells for? I can think of a bunch- Arod 94 SP, 86 Topps Jerry Rice, 86 Fleer Dominique Wilkins.... I mean the guy is a HOFer and this is the only PSA 10 that will fill several different registries (HOF RC, Dolphins, '84 Topps). I'm not saying I condone spending that kind of money on the card, but it's certainly not unthinkable in my mind that somebody would pay it.

Lee
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he were smart, he'd go out and buy 200 of the nicest raw examples he could find and submit them. He'd be bound to get at least one 10 and he'd be into it for less than half what he bought this one for (assuming a $5 grading special). Then he could sell the remaining 199, mostly 9s, and recoup more of his investment.
  • Options
    most would not be 9's gemmint, this is a genuinely tough card in 9.

And to shagrotn, me saying stupid is akin to everyone else saying it's an crazy price, really just my terminology and not to be offensive.
  • Options
    I don't care how much money I had, that is just stupid.

I agree!!!
  • Options

<< <i>If he were smart, he'd go out and buy 200 of the nicest raw examples he could find and submit them. He'd be bound to get at least one 10 and he'd be into it for less than half what he bought this one for (assuming a $5 grading special). Then he could sell the remaining 199, mostly 9s, and recoup more of his investment. >>

I tried this, and as drewsef said, the vast majority would not come back mint or gem mint. Aside from the notorious tilt to that card, it's also very often found with surface snow. I bought a group of 20 razor sharp Stephensons, and every one of them woudl have been nailed with a PD qualifier.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That price will bring out those still in the "to be graded" box. I know I have a couple I might submit before any NFL special in the fall.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Hey,

The man saw a card he liked and he bought it. Free market - pure capitalism. image Let's be happy for him.
    Wondo

• Options
    ABSOLUTELY INSANE PRICE!!!
  • Options
    . . . with a slight tilt.

PSA Gem Mint Subjective 10.

Killing the "hobby."
    NewJerseyMeatHook II
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I figured $1500-$2000 max...It is truly a TOUGH card..The tilt is almost universal.

Nothing really surprises me price wise on the HOF RCs anymore...I stopped being shocked about 3-4 years ago. If and when the POP in PSA 10 increases above say 5 on the card, then it should get cheaper...The 1972 Topps Ted Hendricks is a great example...For a long time the PSA POP was 2, and both cards were owned by MOSH. When the pops began to increase, the first to sell went over $1,000. Now its up to 9 or 10 and you can get them in the $500-$600 range...There are other examples, like say the 1974 Topps John Hannah or 1974 Topps Joe Delam that are still very low in PSA 9, even though they sell in the $600+ range...You would think many more would get graded, but its just not happening...

The HOF RC set is still growing, up to 66 collecting it now...As it grows, new money comes in needing these cards..For those looking to put together an "only the best" type set, overall it's NOT going to get cheaper..The POP increases are not keeping up with the collectors demand.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. . . with a slight tilt.

PSA Gem Mint Subjective 10.

Killing the "hobby." >>

Geez Meathook, what is up with your issue on PSA 10s??
  • Options
    Whatever peals your potato. I don't see the problem with the auction. I'm fairly certain the buyer is happy to have won and I'm definitely certain the seller is happy so good for both of them. I've spent $30 on a Mike Greenwell PSA 10 that isn't worth $1 in a 9. I'm sure the buyers pockets are 100X deeper than mine so good for him.

I'd say everyone on this board would pay what another member would consider a ridiculous price for an item because it's worth it to them and not to someone else. That's what collecting is all about, collecting what you like and being happy what you paid for it.

Arthur

PS. All that being said, I may pick up a few '84 Topps FB racks with my next order from Steve Hart. image
  • Options
    I wonder if that card came from this lot ????

84 Stephenson lot

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Probably. and if it did, you can bet there isn't a 9 to be had in that lot either.

Unbelivable price for this card. i had it in my watch list and was just waiting to see what it would end at. I thought $1k-1500. $2650 is unreal. But when you consider a pop 3 PSA 10 Lawrence Taylor RC went for $5500...well.

Jason is right though, nothing should surprise anyone anymore with regards to HOF prices being realized. There are more collectors, more money and not nearly enough cards to fill the demand. Just about every card has seen a fairly sharp increase in ending prices. Even 81 Topps in PSA 8 are getting $20 now. When I started this set 2 years ago, they cost me $5. Now you look at cards like the 74 Hannah. In PSA 8 it's 35-90 card depending on the day and the surface. A 9 is $600-800. Take any other 9 from that set and it's $80. These cards are not getting cheaper, and Jason is absolutely right. The pop increases are not keeping up with the demand. I don't have the deep pockets some of these guys do, so I usually get out of the way until the top two or three get their's and then I make a run.

• Options
    I don't know. I just have a hard time believing that out of the cases upon cases of unopened 1980s material out there that the PSA 10 pops will remain this low. Then add to that the number of raw uncirculated cards floating around. Most dealers and collectors wouldn't bother to submit these cards.

But if the buyer is happy, more power to him. There will always be collectors out there that will pay anything to get that pop 1 card.
  • Options
    When I heard what 74 Hannah's were going for I pulled one from my 74 Set, Whadda ya think ???

• Options

<< <i>When I heard what 74 Hannah's were going for I pulled one from my 74 Set, Whadda ya think ???

image >>

Arthur
  • Options
    ok, so how much are the football experts here gonna pay for this card if it was raw? or for a fair(dollar-wise) comparison, 57 Topps Unitas and Bart Starr rookies cracked out of PSA 8 holders ?
  • Options
    Hmmmm, I paid about $160 for the whole set. Grade this and it comes back a 9, Get another for the set ??

• Options
    Hold on ! let me grab my 84 Football set and look at the Stephenson.

• Options
    84 Stephenson was waaay oc, image

• Options
    Stupid money.

time to get a pack rip going to pull some $2000 commons.
  • Options

<< <i>When I heard what 74 Hannah's were going for I pulled one from my 74 Set, Whadda ya think ??? >>

That Hannah's a beauty. Definite 9 potential.
  • Options
    I think the Hannah is an 8. Bottom left corner looks iffy and T/B centering is about 60/40. Also, those two pink fisheyes won't help you either. I'd submit it anyway just in case. Not like you're throwing away money if it comes back an 8.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Hannah is an 8. Bottom left corner looks iffy and T/B centering is about 60/40. Also, those two pink fisheyes won't help you either. I'd submit it anyway just in case. Not like you're throwing away money if it comes back an 8.

Lee >>

I agree lee, could possibly get a 9 on a good day.
    I bought the set as near mint off E-bay last year gave about $160 for it, I could buy a raw one for less than $5 bucks to replace it.
    Worth the chance I guess.

• Options
    I love buying raw 70s sets, grading out the 9s and 10s, then replacing them with nm-mt cards. All it takes is one 10 or a bunch of 9s to turn a decent profit. And if you plan on keeping the set, you could offset much of the cost through grading.

Lee
  • Options
    Any other rookie hof's I could look for ?

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if that card came from this lot ????

84 Stephenson lot >>

Good one image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>ok, so how much are the football experts here gonna pay for this card if it was raw? or for a fair(dollar-wise) comparison, 57 Topps Unitas and Bart Starr rookies cracked out of PSA 8 holders ? >>

If the Unitas and Starr looked like solid 8's, you can bet someone would pay over book for them (Currently $400 and $450 I believe). I picked up my Starr raw for $250 and it came back a 7. My Unitas I bought in a 7 holder for $475. If that Stephenson was raw, I would have gladly paid $50 for it knowing it was an easy 9. Would I have paid $2k+. Hell no. Not even in a 10 holder would I pay that. But then I don't have the means that Jon does, nor do I already own the finest example of just about every other card on the market. I would spend that $2k on a lot of different cards but with his collection, that is just more icing on an already beautiful cake.

That Hannah is nice, but the touch on the bottom left corner and the two print dots are going to keep it out of a 9 holder IMO. It is much better printed than many though. that card is notorious for having black print ink smeared all over it. It looks like a very solid 8, a 9 might be had after a couple of tries, but I'm not convinced. An 8 is still going to net you $50+. They've even come close to the $100 mark, which I personally think this one would do. If it does manage a 9, you could buy 4 or 5 more sets.
  • Options
    I think your thinking of PSA 7 Unitas and Starr rookies, I was speaking of PSA 8's, which are roughly close SMR to what the Stephenson in PSA 10 sold for. You still are in agreement with the point I made however, in that even if the Stephenson was the nicest you have ever saw, there's no way your gonna pay $2605 for that card raw. That is putting alot of value in plastic.
  • Options

<< <i>

That Hannah is nice, but the touch on the bottom left corner and the two print dots are going to keep it out of a 9 holder IMO. It is much better printed than many though. that card is notorious for having black print ink smeared all over it. It looks like a very solid 8, a 9 might be had after a couple of tries, but I'm not convinced. An 8 is still going to net you $50+. They've even come close to the $100 mark, which I personally think this one would do. If it does manage a 9, you could buy 4 or 5 more sets. >>

Josh is correct about the black smears..At least 4 of the Hannah PSA 9's that exist HAVE the black smear (including mine). If you get it graded and it comes back a PSA 9, I'll give you $600 for it via immediate PayPal...lol..Just lost an ebay auction for one bidding $600...

Not for me, but for my buddy in Iraq (Glenn's HOFers) on the Registry...

Also look for the Joe Delamielleure RC in the 1974 Set. Its card #183..PSA 8's run $40-$50 and PSA 9's will go for $400-$500...

I had the one and only PSA 10 of that card graded at PSA, but have since sold it to Jon (fight4olddc) and replace with another PSA 9. IMO, a PSA 10 on ebay would sell for more than the Stephenson 10..Even without Jon bidding..A PSA 10 Hannah would also easily eclipse the $2600 Stephenson...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Here is a scan of the back of the Hannah card.

• Options

<< <i>I think your thinking of PSA 7 Unitas and Starr rookies, I was speaking of PSA 8's, which are roughly close SMR to what the Stephenson in PSA 10 sold for. You still are in agreement with the point I made however, in that even if the Stephenson was the nicest you have ever saw, there's no way your gonna pay $2605 for that card raw. That is putting alot of value in plastic. >>

You wouldn't pay that raw because you have no guarantees that the card would grade PSA 10..In fact up until that one, none every have. I mean, this is the whole reason for PSA existing is it not? Even though they aren't perfect, they are the most trusted source for "guaranteeing" a cards condition.

If that card stays a POP 1 (which is unlikely based on the raw Stephenson I have right now..image), 3 years from now, it will cost you more than $2600...If you only knew how much some of us were paying for these HOF RC's in say 2000 or 2001, or heck even 2004..lol..You would be SHOCKED and hospitalized..lol...The market has been exploding every since we got the HOF RC set listed on the Registry in Jan. of 2003. I'm talking 75% of the cards now selling for multiples of what they sold for prior to 2003...5-10 years from now, when everyone that collects PSA graded cards has discovered the Registry, I would venture to say you can double many of these RC prices again...Based on my counts and calculations of what is listed on the football Registry, less than 10% of PSA football collectors have sets listed on the Registry...

All it is going to take is some major publicity toward the football Registry and its going to take off..Particularly the HOF RCs which is currently the most collected football set on the football side of the Registry. And the guy who has the best shot to make that happen is the very guy who purchased this Stephenson PSA 10..Who also owns the newly graded 1/1 PSA 9 Bronko Nagurski RC...Let's re-visit the conversation next year around this time...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I think your thinking of PSA 7 Unitas and Starr rookies, I was speaking of PSA 8's, which are roughly close SMR to what the Stephenson in PSA 10 sold for. You still are in agreement with the point I made however, in that even if the Stephenson was the nicest you have ever saw, there's no way your gonna pay $2605 for that card raw. That is putting alot of value in plastic. >>

I was referring to PSA 7's, because that is what I happen to own. SMR on the 8's is $1250 and $1500 IIRC. The Starr however, routinely sells for $2300+ in PSA 8 yet a Unitas can still be had in the $950-1500 range depending on the card. A wide variance to be sure but in 57's there is a wide degree of issues to plague them. Centering being one, and the surface being the other. Not to mention rough cuts etc. The fact is, that Stephenson is the only PSA 10 in existence of a HOF'er. There are over a hundred PSA 8's of Starr and Unitas. Yes, two of the best qb's to play the game, yes from a condition sensitive set, yes the most recognizable names and hence, the most graded. The Stephenson is notorious for having centering issues. I've submitted 10 or 12 of them and gotten an 8 or a 7 every single time. I thought I had at least a couple of 9's, but the 8's still serve the market well and sell for more than the grading fees.

How about a PSA 8 Harry Carson. I think it books for $2 raw, it sells for $40+ in a PSA 8 holder. How tough are psa 8's to find? They pop up about once a month or so. Nobody bothered to grade them. The Hannah, DeLamiellure, Stephenson and any number of other HOF rc's have the same fate. Nobody bothered pulling them out. How many people knew Stephenson was a HOF'er? Or Hannah?

The HOF set is wildly popular with new people and new money chasing it every week. I don't track sales as well as Jason does, but I have ones written down that I am in need of an upgrade or need to add yet. I have a database with every card I own and what I paid for it, as well as SMR when I added it to my collection. I can tell you my HOF collection alone, while not that impressive when compared to others, has still seen at least a 30% increase in value in the last couple of years. And most of my stuff is "collector grade" or one grade higher. I usually buy the highest end card I can find before the jump to the next grade up is exponential. ie. If I can get an 8 for $50 when a 9 will cost me $250, I'll take the 8 every time. Then once I'm done, I'll worry about getting those "Advanced Collector" grade cards. image

Collect what you enjoy, spend what you can afford. ...and with the HOF rc's, you can smile all the way to the bank in a few years. image
  • Options
    Good luck with your Stephenson Jason. I assume you'll keep it if you get a 10?
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck with your Stephenson Jason. I assume you'll keep it if you get a 10? >>

All depends...If I can sell it for $1500-$2,000+ its sold..lol

I've actually done 2 big sell-offs since owning this set..One to MOSH in 2004/2005, and one to fight4olddc just a few months ago. If someone is willing to pay what I would feel comfortable letting the card go for I will sell and or trade and hope to get the card back in the future for either the same amount or less...Although that hasn't happened with some of the 48 Leafs I sold to MOSH...lol..What was a top $$ deal then, now looks like a bargain, as I am paying more now than what I sold for then...Because in the end, I eventually want the cards back!

Much like my PSA 10 1973 Jack Ham that I own (POP 2)..If someone wants it for $3,000, then sold..Otherwise I just assume keep it..If the pop stays low, $3,000 will eventually be a bargain...May even be now considering both Lambert and Riggins PSA 10's sold for $4400 recently...Of course, my price won't stay the same the longer I keep it..lol

Any PSA 10's from 1986 or older are just cake for me..My collecting goals are to have PSA 9's from 1970-1986 so it wouldn't bother me to downgrade to PSA 9.

Some other PSA 10's HOF RCs I USED to own:

PSA 10 1961 Jim Otto
    PSA 10 1970 Elvin Bethea
    PSA 10 1970 Lem Barney
    PSA 10 1974 Joe Delamielleure
    PSA 10 1975 Lynn Swann
    PSA 10 1984 USFL Jim Kelly
    PSA 10 1984 USFL Reggie White

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>You wouldn't pay that raw because you have no guarantees that the card would grade PSA 10..In fact up until that one, none every have. I mean, this is the whole reason for PSA existing is it not? Even though they aren't perfect, they are the most trusted source for "guaranteeing" a cards condition.

If that card stays a POP 1 (which is unlikely based on the raw Stephenson I have right now..image), 3 years from now, it will cost you more than $2600...If you only knew how much some of us were paying for these HOF RC's in say 2000 or 2001, or heck even 2004..lol..You would be SHOCKED and hospitalized..lol...The market has been exploding every since we got the HOF RC set listed on the Registry in Jan. of 2003. I'm talking 75% of the cards now selling for multiples of what they sold for prior to 2003...5-10 years from now, when everyone that collects PSA graded cards has discovered the Registry, I would venture to say you can double many of these RC prices again...Based on my counts and calculations of what is listed on the football Registry, less than 10% of PSA football collectors have sets listed on the Registry...

All it is going to take is some major publicity toward the football Registry and its going to take off..Particularly the HOF RCs which is currently the most collected football set on the football side of the Registry. And the guy who has the best shot to make that happen is the very guy who purchased this Stephenson PSA 10..Who also owns the newly graded 1/1 PSA 9 Bronko Nagurski RC...Let's re-visit the conversation next year around this time...

Jason >>

I disagree. Based on my experience with other set registry additions, prices typically are strongest when the first collectors are chasing to gain the number 1 spot. Once a handful of collectors complete the set in high grade, prices fall back a bit. A good example is the 1969 Topps baseball set. During its peak 3-4 years ago, most PSA 8s were going for $10 or more and 9s were going for $40 or more. Today a majority of the commons can be had for under $10 and the 9s are typically going for $25 or less. I think even the 10s aren't pulling the prices they once were. Same can be said for the 1974 baseball set. PSA 10s go for crazy amounts if they are pop 1's or 2's. But once the pops reach 5 or more, they go for under $100. PSA 9s of the mid-70s sets also often go for under $15 where they used to sell for $50 or more when the first few set builders like Scott Wetzel were building fast and furiously.