Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wowee! PSA 10 '84 Stephenson sells for...

2»

Comments

• Options
    good old fight 4 old Dc. When Jon wants a card, he goes and gets it, and good for him. He's got the best set to show for it

There was a John Riggins RC psa 10 (1/2) a few months ago that was up for auction, it dropped during the oscars I remember. I was thinking what a great pickup for my NFL Rushing leaders set, Im going to go after that. I figure I would pay $3000 for it. Bidding hit, I think 5 K with Jon buying it. When is another one going to come up, who knows but if Jon has the money to buy them, and its what he wants....

Nice guy too, he responded to my emails.

joe
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I disagree. Based on my experience with other set registry additions, prices typically are strongest when the first collectors are chasing to gain the number 1 spot. Once a handful of collectors complete the set in high grade, prices fall back a bit. A good example is the 1969 Topps baseball set. During its peak 3-4 years ago, most PSA 8s were going for $10 or more and 9s were going for $40 or more. Today a majority of the commons can be had for under $10 and the 9s are typically going for $25 or less. I think even the 10s aren't pulling the prices they once were. Same can be said for the 1974 baseball set. PSA 10s go for crazy amounts if they are pop 1's or 2's. But once the pops reach 5 or more, they go for under $100. PSA 9s of the mid-70s sets also often go for under $15 where they used to sell for $50 or more when the first few set builders like Scott Wetzel were building fast and furiously. >>

You are probably right if that were the case, but the thing about the NFL HOF RC set is that NEW collectors are continually jumping in with big budgets...The set has gone from 4 collectors to 66 in 4 years..It grows by the month...I had the #1 set in 2003. Since then MOSH, Craigzav and fight4olddc have surpassed me. I can tell you, there is no possible way that any of those 3 guys spent less than 100K to get there, DC and MOSH spent well over triple that amount. The guys right under me, Glenn's HOFers and Fletcher Collection have each spent close to if not more than 100K..There are quite a few others, at least 3 that I know of who will end up spending 100K+ to get to 100% as they are also pursuing top of the line sets. Anyone in the top 20 with a GPA over 7.25 is spending big time money to get there...

Honestly, I dont see any reason for a slow down...Most of these cards are still great values in comparison to baseball...I think we will have plenty of new collector's chasing top quality sets in the future which will continue to drive up prices...It has been a steady climb up since I started collecting these cards in 1999...Baseball may have topped out, but football is still in its infancy with major collectors.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I heard what 74 Hannah's were going for I pulled one from my 74 Set, Whadda ya think ???

image >>

PSA 9 - it's offcentered t/b.... Absolutely razor sharp thought - nice card.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Do these guys even care about the resell value because I can guarantee that any card later than 1975 will have increased pop's to the point of outrunning supply. Baseball experienced it and football will too. It's not that the cards are easy but were talking about print runs in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. Short term good investment but long term if you have sunk alot of money in 70's and 80s HOFs then I think you will be hurt if you care about money.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Geez, you could buy the whole NRMT sets of 80s, 90s (maybe a few 70s) for that much! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Another sign of the apocolypse...Another NFL HOF RC...lol

PSA 7 1948 Leaf Charlie Trippi sold for $1,404 last night. The SMR is $235...

And I thought that was a pretty fair price to be honest...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jason, I think we could make a couple million overnight if we were able to buy certain cards for SMR. image

Arthur
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    1948 Leaf selling for alot is much different than a 1984 Topps. There probably more Stephenson cards printed then the entire 48 leaf set.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set