Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who was the greatest catcher of al time?

Who do you think and give the reason why.

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Choo Choo Coleman

<eyeroll>

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on which Al you are referring to. There have been many guys named Al.

• Options

<< <i>Choo Choo Coleman

Steve >>

ouch.
  • Options
    Richard Gedman...just because
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options

<< <i>I think it depends on which Al you are referring to. There have been many guys named Al.

image >>

Ah, but they weren't all great catchers.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Cochrane? Campy, Berra, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think it depends on which Al you are referring to. There have been many guys named Al.

image >>

Ah, but they weren't all great catchers. >>

Everyone named Al or all the other guys?
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
    A good question. Without much research, I'm going to call it a push between Josh Gibson and Johnny Bench.

Before it's done, I think Joe Mauer has a chance to put himself up there with the all-time great. Arguably he's the best pure athlete to ever play the position.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Bo Diaz
  • Options

<< <i>Bo Diaz >>

Interesting choice, why did you pick him?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The hell with you guys.........we all know its Biff Pocoroba
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Bo Diaz
    R.i.p.

• Options

<< <i>Richard Gedman...just because >>

In the bottom of the tenth inning of Game 6, with the Sox leading by one run with two outs, Kevin Mitchell on third and Mookie Wilson at bat, reliever Bob Stanley threw a pitch that Gedman failed to handle. It was scored as a wild pitch, but many considered it a Gedman passed ball. Mitchell came in to score, tying the game. Then, Wilson hit a ball that went through first baseman Bill Buckner's legs to win the game for the Mets. The Sox went on to lose the deciding game, and the series.
  • Options
    First name I thought of when I saw the thread. I would have to say Bench and/or Berra.
  • Options
    I would really say Bench.

But of course there is always Charles's Johnson
  • Options

<< <i>The hell with you guys.........we all know its Biff Pocoroba >>

His best season was in 1977 when he achieved career-highs with 123 games, a batting average of .290, 8 home runs, 24 doubles, and 44 runs batted in. In 1978, he made the National League All-Star team, finishing the season with a .242 batting average, 6 home runs, and 34 RBI in 92 games.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Morris "Moe" Berg image
  • Options

<< <i>I would really say Bench.

But of course there is always Charles's Johnson >>

In a 12-season career, Johnson is a .245 hitter with 167 home runs and 570 RBI in 1188 games.

• Options

<< <i>Morris "Moe" Berg image >>

Excellent choice! I've always liked his story.

Morris "Moe" Berg (March 2, 1902 – May 29, 1972) was an American Major League Baseball catcher who also served briefly as a spy for the United States during WWII. His is said to be the only baseball card on display at the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    I'd vote Bench as well, one of the greatest.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I would choose Bench just ahead of Berra. He would have easily hit over 500 home runs if he played any other position (Except Pitcher). I think his only real peer offensively is Piazza, but Bench was FAR SUPERIOR defensively. He was a combination of Pudge and Piazza. He won 10 Gold Gloves 2nd only to Pudge (12). Now I know that is not fair since Campy and Berra were not eligible, but from what I read he was better than them defensively.

It could be argued that Yogi could have won more than three MVP's and may have hit 500 home runs too, but again Bench was better defensively. I can't comment on Josh Gibson because like many Negro League players I can't differ between the man and the myth.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Brad Ausmus image

Edited: Cause I say so image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Mike Heath
  • Options

<< <i>Brad Ausmus image

Edited: Cause I say so image >>

With more than 100 games caught in 11 consecutive seasons, he ranks 3rd among active catchers in games played. He is 6th all-time of all Jewish major leaguers in hits, and 8th in home runs and RBIs, trailing only Hank Greenberg and Shawn Green in all three categories.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    FWIW Win Shares has Berra first and Bench second. I suspect that Bench's peak was higher than Berra's, but his career was relatively short.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Brad Ausmus image

With more than 100 games caught in 11 consecutive seasons, he ranks 3rd among active catchers in games played. He is 6th all-time of all Jewish major leaguers in hits, and 8th in home runs and RBIs, trailing only Hank Greenberg and Shawn Green in all three categories. >>

He also went to Dartmouth image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Brad Ausmus image

With more than 100 games caught in 11 consecutive seasons, he ranks 3rd among active catchers in games played. He is 6th all-time of all Jewish major leaguers in hits, and 8th in home runs and RBIs, trailing only Hank Greenberg and Shawn Green in all three categories. >>

He also went to Dartmouth image >>

Jewish sports hall of fame 2004 also. image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Liberace.

Where's Lee? He must be out drinking. I'm amazed he didn't beat me to this.
  • Options
  • Options
    rick dempsey!!!!
  • Options
    FWIW

Ty Cobb who has a reputation as a racist and who didn't see the modern catchers said it was CAMPY

My Sports Cards/Magazines

Cards/Mags
  • Options
    Johnny Bench without a doubt............
    end of conversation.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Off the top of my head I'd have to go with Bench, Berra & Campy in that order.

But, as far as my favorite....I'd have to go with Mike Scioscia! He was a master at blocking the plate! Go Dodgers! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Josh Gibson. Period.
  • Options
    best "North of the border" ~~~ Gary carter
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options

<< <i>Off the top of my head I'd have to go with Bench, Berra & Campy in that order.

But, as far as my favorite....I'd have to go with Mike Scioscia! He was a master at blocking the plate! Go Dodgers! image >>

Exclusively a catcher, the 6-foot, 2-inch, 230 pound Scioscia was primarily known for his defense. Former Dodgers vice president Al Campanis once called Mike Scioscia the best plate-blocking catcher he had seen in his 46-year baseball career. In one collision with St. Louis Cardinals' slugger Jack Clark in July, 1985, Scioscia was knocked unconscious but still held onto the ball. Scioscia, however, has claimed he had an even harder plate collision the following season.

The one collision that absolutely I got hit harder than anybody else was Chili Davis in 1986 when he was with the Giants. Chili plays hard; he's 6' 3", looks like Apollo Creed, got a nice lean. I saw stars. That was the hardest I've been hit, including my years of playing football. It was a heck of a collision . . . He was out that time. We were both out.

— Mike Scioscia
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Birth name: Roy Campanella
    Nickname: Campy

Birth date: November 19, 1921
    Birth place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Death date: June 26, 1993
    Death place: Woodland Hills, California

Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 190 lbs.
    Parents: John and Ida Campanella
    Marriage: Ruthe, Roxie Doles, 1963-1993 (his death)
    Children: Five children with his first wife, Ruthe

Athletic position: Catcher
    Athletic teams: Brooklyn Dodgers (1949 -1957), Baltimore Elite Giants [Negro National League] (1937- 1942)
    Threw: Right
    Batted: Right

Hall of Fame: Elected in 1969

In 1991, Roy and Roxie founded the "The Roy and Roxie Campanella Physical Therapy Scholarship Foundation." Equipment, education, information, and support for those living with paraplegia was provided by the foundation. It also awarded scholarships to students pursuing a degree in the field of physical therapy.

Was a star for nine seasons in the Mexican and Negro Leagues.

He played in five World Series.

Led National League catchers in putout six times.

Hit 242 home runs as a catcher.

Was selected the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1951, 1953, and 1955.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    See tennesseebanker's sig line image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Johnny Bench hands down!
    Reds Team Set Collector (Raw)
    Pete Rose PSA Basic Set
    Johnny Bench PSA Basic Set
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    good thread. the catcher is arguably the most important position on the field- calls pitches, positions infielders/outfielders, involved in every single play of the game. catchers have to be unbelievably sharp......all this while spending half the game squatting. i think catchers are the real leaders of the ballclub, not unlike quarterbacks.

guess i'll give my top 10, for what it's worth.....

1- ivan rodriguez (most complete player)
    2- johnny bench
    3- Yogi Berra (average catcher, points for offense and leading the Yanks to 10 WS wins)
    4- Gary Carter
    5- Bob Boone (not the best hitter, but cut down nearly everyone and 7 GG's!)
    6- Roy Campanella
    7- Bill Freehan
    8- Jim Sundberg (lousy hitter, but amazing catcher)
    9- Tony Pena
    10- Mike Piazza (average catcher, gets points for offense)

EDITED TO ADD- Honorable Mention: Carlton Fisk. Belongs on the list, but somehow i think the others were slightly better in some way. But Fisk is still in the Hall, so he gets the last laugh. Maybe if he had just retired 3-4 seasons earlier, or gotten 1-2 more GGs, he'd be on my list.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Bench
    Berra
    Campanella
    Cochrane
    Dickey
    Rodriguez
    Fisk
    Munson
    Carter
    Piazza

That's 10 great ones. I'm sure there's a few others who could be added to the list.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    liberace

-----------------
    edit-sorry boots i posted it and went to page two and saw you beat me to it. i am glad someone is as twisted as i am.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would really say Bench.

But of course there is always Charles's Johnson >>

In a 12-season career, Johnson is a .245 hitter with 167 home runs and 570 RBI in 1188 games. >>

/ joke
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    << In the bottom of the tenth inning of Game 6, with the Sox leading by one run with two outs, Kevin Mitchell on third and Mookie Wilson at bat, reliever Bob Stanley threw a pitch that Gedman failed to handle. It was scored as a wild pitch, but many considered it a Gedman passed ball. Mitchell came in to score, tying the game. Then, Wilson hit a ball that went through first baseman Bill Buckner's legs to win the game for the Mets. The Sox went on to lose the deciding game, and the series. >>

<< Liberace >>

1.) CARLTON FISK
    2.) JASON VARITEK (2007 WS MVP) image

Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Dave Valle
    Trying to complete 1960, '61 and '68 Topps baseball sets...raw
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Bench.
    Ivan Rodriguez is second in my book.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's Bench.

But, Piazza may go down was the best hitting catcher of all time.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Offensively -- Pizza and Gibson

All Around -- Pudge BY FAR
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards