Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How will the 500 point dow drop impact the Coin market?

Will this impact the market?

Will this bring the bull market to a hault?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think so.

The more investment areas such as stocks and real estate look precarious, the more is likely to move into commodities and collectibles.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    One day does not a market make. However, depending on

how the following days handle todays negative results, a down

market causes people to suffer a loss of wealth mentality. If such

a development occurs, it would have a downward impact on the purchase

or coins. A strange relationship is also in motions, where the coin market sees

strong upward momentum when the stock market is going down. Perhaps, it is

a sign that folks are transfering funds to hard assets. I was most suprised, to

see the metals take the drop they did. I would have expected just the opposite.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Strange day indeed. I just looked outside and I did not see anybody jumping off of buildings or anything yet. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Bear brings up a good point about precious metals. Counter-intuitive price fluctuations. Looks like a buying opportunity to me.
  • Options
    I worried about the same thing just prior to 1980 image..then i stopped
    Connecting a Windows PC to the Internet is like dressing in hundred-dollar bills and taking a walk in a bad neighborhood.
  • Options

<< <i>One day does not a market make. However, depending on

how the following days handle todays negative results, a down

market causes people to suffer a loss of wealth mentality. If such

a development occurs, it would have a downward impact on the purchase

or coins. A strange relationship is also in motions, where the coin market sees

strong upward momentum when the stock market is going down. Perhaps, it is

a sign that folks are transfering funds to hard assets. I was most suprised, to

see the metals take the drop they did. I would have expected just the opposite. >>

I totaly agree usually when the market has a minor correction investors seek a safe haven in metals. I was shocked myself
  • Options

Not at all,most collectors collect for the enjoyment of it.
    Maby the prices of high grade type and bullion coins will drop.
    Jim Driscoll
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no worries mate .................
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    In an incredibly major way.image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I stated in another post... I collect coins... The DJIA will have no effect on me at all. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭✭
    zero impact
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, the money is parked for awhile making 3% then will be back to buy stocks at low prices! I do not think think there is a real strong relationship with Metals and Stocks, but a small one maybe.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like how the late rally was squashed and we ended up down 400.
    That said--this market still has some legs. Some strong buyers showed up fairly quickly after the plumet only to be met by some more selling.
    I will wait till Thurs. afternoon before I read too much into this.
    As for your question about the coin market----no effect whatsoever.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Democrats take over both houses of Congress, and this happens. Co-inky-dink? I think not.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Anybody here around on Black monday ?

Was that 88 or 89 ?

When the market clipped 508 off the dow for a nearly 50 % Drop !

Gotta ride the peaks w/ the valleys !
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold was down today because of two reasons.

1. Profit taking. Remember it is was up 15% since the beginning of the year.

2..And the dollar got killed. Money flowed from stocks into bonds which lowered yields which makes the dollar less attractive.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Anybody here around on Black monday ?

Was that 88 or 89 ?

Gotta ride the peaks w/ the valleys ! >>

It was 1987 and it fell 27%.

Keep in mind that a 25% loss means you need a 33% gain to just get back to even. Easier said than done.

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    The same factors that instigated the change in stock prices might impact coin prices.

Who knows...if gold and silver decline it may no longer be fashionable to be invested in commodities.

A very slight change in demand results in a large change in prices.

Gotta ride the peaks w/ the valleys !

Uh, no.

• Options
    If the trade entry person is a coin collector, their budget was seriously impaired today. My guess is that they were fired as the DOW plunged 178 points in a minute.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4000 points would I suppose .... the stock chart double hump if you will. This alone will have little impact. K
  • Options

Was that 88 or 89 ?

It was Monday, October 19, 1987, and it was a drop of 22.68% on the DOW. I remember it well.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options

<< <i>

Was that 88 or 89 ?

It was Monday, October 19, 1987, and it was a drop of 22.68% on the DOW. I remember it well. >>

I bought my first stock in August 1987. Like so many bright eyed newbies, I thought I was well prepared for any eventuality.

I remember the '87 crash like it was last year. I learned one lesson, always be humble.

I don't think the U. S. stock market is going to see any crash this year. The coin market, especially the key date sector is vulnerable.

As far as the coin market, if a stock market down turn leads to a recession, that will put a big damper on things. Lots of dealers could fold up, because all the new dealers that started during the past ten years have not seen a serious downturn in the coin market and most do not know what to do. A lot of these relatively new dealers have been bailed out of their mistakes by the rising tide or by relative ease in finding other work to pay the bills. When the tide gets rough, many of them capsize.

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    there has to be some impact
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭
    I hope the coin market sells off so I can buy cheap.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    The "Coin Market" should be selling off. There are too many auctions and if you look closely there isn't much in the "Draped Bust, as well as, key date coins that can't be found. Now, with and if the DOW keeps up and the deep pocket fellas who like to "feel rich" start selling off ,and I SAID IF, then you will see their toys come into the market. Face this fact you have to have money to buy and keep up with an expensive gold, silver, metals futures, or coin market. Supply and Demand is not just that simple an equation. "Supply can create Demand" and the $$ have to be there. A recession does nothing for any market, but deflate it to a degree "TO A DEGREE". Bad economy? You got gold? Farmer got food? Maybe "MAYBE" you eat your gold. Maybe not.
    Collect coins for fun, keep an eye on their investment sidebar, but don't count on them going up forever. Especially if this Wall Street market corrects over the next few months.
    What I think is more scary is the lack of interest in the US Dollar and the number of nations looking for other "reserve" currency. Likewise the amount of money in derivatives, hedge funds and sub prime loans and those loans being sold to the above mentions markets.
    Then of course I could be wrong and in that case........NEVERMIND
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the Dow Jones Industrial Average? It's the weighted value of 30 stocks. Today, all of them declined - but most only 2-3 dollars a share. So, if you owned Disney or GM, etc - you stock went down 2 to 5%. It's the combination of ALL these stocks going down that made the drop look so bad.

The impact to coins? I think the gold and silver prices will have a larger impact.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    It was a move like this in the stock market many years ago that got me into coins in the first place
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    Market should trade down again tommorow, by mid-day might be a good entry point. XOM and MO got hammered for $3- $4 each. might be a good entry point for some longer term call options.

Some bloated stocks didnt fall nearly as far as they could (Goog et.al) still some downside risk. Should be an interesting morning.
    CNBC was in panic mode, they didnt let any of the anchors go home.
    The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

They will see how much $$ we've been making selling Mint products and drive demand and prices even higher.

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    I don't think yesterday will have that big a difference, if any on the coin market. Today will see stocks go up, usually. That's because the stocks are now on sale. People sold stocks yesterday because of automatic selling as determined by the people ahead of times. Now, either the people will buy stocks because of dollar cost averaging. OR, the stocks they were watching and wishing they HAD bought are probably now at the same prices as they wished they bought at. If they go down today too, they will only go a little, no where near the loss as yesterday.

They have been calling for next year to have a correction, and, this year to be a pretty good year. The stocks have been good and will always have a following and be the major investing vehicles for people's retirements. The metals usually go the opposite as stocks, but, today were different. I think tomm will probably see metals higher. The money won't come off the table from stocks overnight and go right into coins. Some of the money will have to come from coins perhaps to help the shorters/longs because of calls and puts. I think stocks will startlower to test the waters but, then buying opportunities will aoud and buying will start.

Did you see the pre-opening numbers? The futures were indicating an opening uptick for stocks yesterday, whci they did. Then, stey started a slow slide, then I fell asleep. I woke up and they were down about 180. Fell back asleep and the market was closing at -400 or so. That's OK, because the only stocks I own now are in my 401K. I used to own stocks but sold after about 2000, many at a loss. Got a tax write off and learned my lesson. The 401K will help with retirement, but be sole factor. For retirement you need more than one basket of goods. I already have one retirement, a second already earned, not started. Soon, a third retirement opportunity will be started. Two garanteed retirements, a 401K and Social Security if it still exists will at least ensure a house and food. The diamonds, gold platinum and silver will augment them. Coins are and will be some of my toys. They have always been and will always be with money affordable to lose. Let's see what happens. Good luck to all. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    looks like it was a great buyiing opportunity image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes... the main effect seems to be a gathering of energy to break 13,000... so much for pundits and seers... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Ah yes... the main effect seems to be a gathering of energy to break 13,000... so much for pundits and seers... Cheers, RickO >>

Yeah verily. They all said it was a great opportunity to buy.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did buy, rather heavily, on Feb 27th and Mar 13th. Question now for myself, do I want to take the profit and pay the short term capital gains taxes.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did buy, rather heavily, on Feb 27th and Mar 13th. Question now for myself, do I want to take the profit and pay the short term capital gains taxes. >>

Yep, profit is profit. Take the gain and wait for the next 500 point drop.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

My vote is: Too early to sell.
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I did buy, rather heavily, on Feb 27th and Mar 13th. Question now for myself, do I want to take the profit and pay the short term capital gains taxes. >>

Pardon the tax question here, but this is pertinent for coin flippers too -- what is the real-world difference between short-term and long-term capital gains taxes? IOW, will I be saving a lot if I wait for more than twelve months to sell, say, 2006-w Platinum coins?
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Like a ton of bricks.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    no shame in taking money off the table; especially if its a substantial profit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file