Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you call it a Moose?

So today I went into my local coin shop to pick up an album he had ordered for me.(Dansco Ike) Anyhow I got to looking around a bit at what he had to offer and I noticed a new one. It jumped out at me and said take me home. I usally do not buy morgans, well I should say I do not usally seek them out. I do have a few, but this one just was wow to me. Now the image I am sharing is a bit juiced, but it is not that far off from the colors on the coin. The luster is really nice as well. I told the man to hold the coin for me I would be right back for it. I went home and got some silver coins we agreed on, the Franklin halfs I had for sale. Anyhow I will take a better picture later but for now this will do. What would you pay for something like this? All the color you see in the photo is really there and nearly as vibrant. Your thoughts?? On a side note coming out after my purchase I managed to hit the local dealers car, barely taped it. His truck was fine, but my car has a small dent in it. Turned the car a bit too quick in the parking spot and caught his bumper. Heh what a day..

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, i call this a moose.image
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it is NT or the work of a master.If NT worth moon $.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    To clear things up, the coin is NT and is slabbed by NGC. I do not agree with the grade on the holder, but that is just me. What would you pay for a coin like this and what would you grade it?
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Impossible to grade a coin without seeing the obverse!

(remember the obverse?)

honest, there's no way to grade it, but the reverse color is obviously all there.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you like it.. and others may.. and will not rain on your parade... but for me... no. I would walk on by... and not a question of money. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Zenny I know I eft out the obverse so it makes it really hard to grade, but going off the back side. Ricko it is ok. That is what makes coin collecting so great. Everybody can have thier own likes and dislikes.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet Skyman would like it.
  • Options
    I am a sure a few guys would really like this coin. Skyman and others have some really nice toners!
  • Options

<< <i>To clear things up, the coin is NT and is slabbed by NGC. I do not agree with the grade on the holder, but that is just me. What would you pay for a coin like this and what would you grade it? >>

What is the date(81-S)Reverse grade 65*
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    As you said, the images are juiced and I bet it looks much nicer in hand. I'd jump on it.

• Options
    how about the obverse pic image and tone down the juice, i like them when they dont burn my retinas lol
  • Options
    The date is 1881 - S The images are not that juiced, but a bit. I need to get a luster shot up. This coin really sings in the light!
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a very nice NT reverse mini moose if its in a 65 holder.JMOimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>how about the obverse pic image and tone down the juice, i like them when they dont burn my retinas lol >>

Really there is not that much juice. The colors on this coin are great if you ask me. The obverse is nearly plain white with a touch of gold on it. I will take some better pictures in a bit of the coin.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    All depends on your definition of 'Moose'. Some moose are majestic and others are awkward looking.

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    It's a very beautiful classic rainbow toned Morgan. Congrats!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Whatever you call it, I think it's pretty attractive... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>Whatever you call it, I think it's pretty attractive... image >>

I agree with you on this one and thus why I now own it.
  • Options
    here is a better shot of the back. I totally missed the obverse shot, but heh you get the idea. NO JUICE in this photo...

• Options
    For those of you that requested NO JUICE!!

• Options
    and a luster shot...

• Options
    I don't collect morgans, but I would have a hard time walking by this one in my dealers showcase
    since he dosen't charge a premium for toners.
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    Rev 64- 65+
    Obv 63-64+

NGC grade 64*

I am not a big fan of premiums for toners, But that is one I like, but wouldn't pay more than 30-40% over bid.

I am sure others would pay multiples of bid.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    Nice moose and I would pay a premium just for the error slab...

The date is 1881 - S The images are not that juiced, but a bit. I need to get a luster shot up. This coin really sings in the light!

Looks like an 1880 - S to me image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for catching my mistake... 81 S 80 S .. it is all about the same in terms of rarity..
  • Options
    I am going to say NT. And I would pay a 20%-30% premium, unless it is a 65. Then I couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Moose? No. It's a common date with common bag toning on the reverse. Nice coin? You bet. Great looking example of a REAL rainbow toner, not an idiot eBay seller rainbow toner. At MS64, it's worth about $200 to $250. At MS65, about $300 to $350.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Ok, now that there's a photo of the coin, it seems an easy 64, maybe a 5, depending on the severity of the gouge near the nose, etc., but a moose?

sorry,

we can call it a moose-keteer, if you'd like.....
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty coin, Brucewar!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To clear things up, the coin is NT and is slabbed by NGC. I do not agree with the grade on the holder, but that is just me. What would you pay for a coin like this and what would you grade it? >>

What makes you so sure it is NT? Because it's in an NGC holder? TPG's have slabbed many AT coins. Based on the photo you've posted, I think it's a "doctor job". JMHO, of course, since you asked.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Now that I've seen the photo of the obverse, I retract my previous post. I'v just about given up trying to determine if a coin is AT/NT, based on photos.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>Moose? No. It's a common date with common bag toning on the reverse. Nice coin? You bet. Great looking example of a REAL rainbow toner, not an idiot eBay seller rainbow toner. At MS64, it's worth about $200 to $250. At MS65, about $300 to $350.

Russ, NCNE >>

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty but there are dozens of them, so no wouldn't classify it as a moose. image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, i call this a moose.image >>

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the second set of images. Pretty.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    MS-63 $80-100
  • Options

<< <i>MS-63 $80-100 >>

If you have some that look like that for $80 to $100, let me know.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    thanks for adding the new pics, very much appreciated. i like NO JUICE, give a truer image i think.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    IN 63, HOW MANY DO YOU NEED?
  • Options

<< <i>IN 63, HOW MANY DO YOU NEED? >>

If they look like the one posted in this thread, as many as you want to sell.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If it is only a small moose, would you call it a "MOUSE"

or a "MOOSETT"?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IN 63, HOW MANY DO YOU NEED? >>

If they look like the one posted in this thread, as many as you want to sell.

Russ, NCNE >>

I agree sell me all you got!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

What makes you so sure it is NT? Because it's in an NGC holder? TPG's have slabbed many AT coins. Based on the photo you've posted, I think it's a "doctor job". JMHO, of course, since you asked.image >>

This is the classic toner with all the right colors. Look at all the best rainbow toners and you see many of them follow this same color pattern. This coin takes a page out of Toning 101. Sure some people will argue these coins run right over the devices as far as the color goes, but any coin givin time will do that. I have seen enough toners to stake an NT claim on this one. The fact that NGC certified it does nothing for me other than to keep me from finger printing it.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bruceswar,
    This coin is 100% different than that circulated Buff toner you posted the other day. Notice how this one toned on the devices compared to the fields next to them. NO COMPARISON.
    This one is real. The Buff.......
    The slab doesn't make me lean one way or the other, but my feeling is this one is nice. Common enough to not sell for multiples, but a 20-25% bump is reasonable for me. The pics without the juice are much nicer than the pics with in my opinion also.
    Nice coin.
    edited to add----HERE is the link to the thread with the toned Buff that you and I are referring to if anyone wants to see the difference.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Moose? No. It's a common date with common bag toning on the reverse. Nice coin? You bet. Great looking example of a REAL rainbow toner, not an idiot eBay seller rainbow toner. At MS64, it's worth about $200 to $250. At MS65, about $300 to $350.

Russ, NCNE >>

After seeing the obverse and real pics.Russ is right on the money.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>MS-63 $80-100 >>

Russ, NCNE >>

imageI would buy as many as you can find for that price.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pics of obverse, it looks like about MS63, in which case given the cool reverse tone, I'd put it at about $150, depending upon which person is bidding on it. But if it's reverse holdered up, and a star coin, could be more like $215. Of course, there are plenty of dealers out there that would ask ridiculous money like $400+ for it, but I think that's too high.
  • Options
    The coin is starred and it is reverse side up. Your price of $215.00 is just a bit more than I paid.

JRocco, both coins in question are 100% NT. I would be my life on both of them. This one is just a classic toner, where as the buff night be a bit different but still NT. I saw the coin for all purposes white in 1991, and bring up to 2003... Now color. It set in a safe for those years. Unless that safe has sulfer in it at some high level then...
  • Options

<< <i><< MS-63 $80-100 >>

Russ, NCNE >>

I just sold a reverse rainbow MS63 1885-O for $278. And, it's in an ICG holder.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's 85-O's. Just sold this for $305 on eBay. It's in an NGC 64 * holder

Philately will get you nowhere....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file