Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Dice-K really be worth the money?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from a bottom-line perspective, there will be no way of telling unless the Sox open their books. No way to know how much additional revenue he brings to the team from foreign and domestic sources. From a win-loss perspective, he is worth the money if the Sox make the playoffs...speaking purely as a fan of the game.
  • Options
    Nothing to discuss, one of the worst signings in the history of baseball. 51 million just to talk to someone...what a joke...baseball needs to get their revenue sharing in-line before they lose more fans.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing to discuss, one of the worst signings in the history of baseball. 51 million just to talk to someone...what a joke...baseball needs to get their revenue sharing in-line before they lose more fans. >>

Agreed on it is foolish to spend $$ just to talk but with a Japanese market it could be worth the money they make from that perspective. As far as Dice-K the pitcher goes he could be great until hitters learn his stuff or he could flop under the pressure that comes with a big time franchise. My feelings are he will be 15-9 type pitcher, hopefully better but to early to tell.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Hideki Irabu anyone?
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Hideki Irabu anyone? >>

Yes that has crossed my mind a few times.......image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    There are 17 BUSES of japanese reporters at Spring training, Sox tickets will be sold out...again, there is already controversy to increase ratings. The KID is huge, a bit smaller then size of Clemens when he started with the sox, not your typical Japanese guy. He has also thrown ALOT of pitches for his age, he is not a rookie by any means. NO major leaguers have seen ANY of his pitches, and probably wont get used to his style until after the all -star game. Schilling seems to be impressed with him over the last few days. i think he will do just fine...well.... ok I'm a little bias image
  • Options

<< <i>There are 17 BUSES of japanese reporters at Spring training, Sox tickets will be sold out...again, there is already controversy to increase ratings. The KID is huge, a bit smaller then size of Clemens when he started with the sox, not your typical Japanese guy. He has also thrown ALOT of pitches for his age, he is not a rookie by any means. NO major leaguers have seen ANY of his pitches, and probably wont get used to his style until after the all -star game. Schilling seems to be impressed with him over the last few days. i think he will do just fine...well.... ok I'm a little bias image >>

I can attest to the attention here in Ft. Myers. It's pretty crazy. Between the tourist season and Dice K season us locals can't get a decent seat in sushi bar! image

No problem though as long as you drop plenty of caysheesh while you're here. Don't forget to generously tip the wait staff and barmaids.

Haven't been down to the park yet but plan to in March. Twins complex is three miles up the road, Bosox six.

He seems to be a little heavier than when they signed him? They'll whip him into shape.
  • Options
    Nomo was a good, not great pitcher for a few years, but eventually his stuff was average at best. Why, the hitters were able to adjust to him and Nomo failed to make his chages and this is where Nomo failed, as did Hideki. Take Chien Ming Wang, I bet he is out of the majors in three years. These Japanese pitchers are nothing more than a flash in the pan
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I thought Nomo did a great job for all the pressure he was under. Even later in his career he had some great games. Not everyone is HOFer and his career at least was solid. I think anytime you come to the majors over the age of 25 you are just going to have a good not great/HOF career. That is the disadvantage that alot of these players from Cuba and Japan are facing.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    "The KID is huge, a bit smaller then size of Clemens when he started with the sox, not your typical Japanese guy."

If you think this kid and Clemens are huge did you ever get a load of Hideki Irabu?

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ah, Hideki Irabu - aka The Fat Toad.

Matsuzaka is no Irabu. I'd prepare myself to be pretty impressed by him this upcoming season. Sour fans who say things like "worst contract ever in the history of baseball" fail to see how important it was for the Red Sox (and not the Yankees or the Mets) to sign him, and open the lines of communication between Boston and other Japanese teams. It looks as if many more (and not less) top players are going to emerge from that part of the world over the next several years - kudos to Theo and the Red Sox for recognizing this, and beating the evil Yankees at their own game by doing their homework, and getting the signing done.
  • Options
    Ah, yes the Steinbrenner annointed Fat Toad.

I am a Yankee fan but for your sake I hope you are right about Matsuzaka...NOT. LOL

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    Soxfan, I am sure he is going to put up decent numbers this year....he should. I seasoned pro coming to a new league where hitters are unaware of his stuff. Give it time and I think the fad of Dice-K will fade.
  • Options
    I don't think that you can even compare Dice to Nomo other than their ethnicity. Two totally different types of pitches. Dice is going to be, in my eyes, another Pedro. A dominating pitcher! He's not a rookie and yes he has thrown a lot of pitches, but he is young. He is ahead of the game from when Pedro started. Dice is a little bigger then Pedro and probably has a little more arm strength then pedro did. Maybe not as fragile. I am going to throw it out and there and say he is going to be a 20 game winner this year. He has excellent control to go along with the power. He is not another Contreras from when he first came to the league. Lots of power no control. This kid is going to amaze a lot more people than you think. 51.11 million is a lot of money to dish out just to get the negotiating rights; however, if we didn't get it the Yankees would have. I think its good we did it. Its about time we started taking chances and gamble a little bit. Do I think he should have instantly recieved a 50 million dollar contract, NO. I think most of his contract should have been incentives. Make him prove that he is worth it. This kid has a lot of poise for someone his age. He is a true athlete with Schillings drive for victory. That alone will make him sucessful.

I say the bigger question is Papelbon. How is he going to be this year? as young as he is already having shoulder problems last year. Now lets just throw him to the lions and make him pitch 200+ innings. I think its a stupid idea. He is one of the best if not the best closer in the game right now. That is the biggest hole that we have not filled yet. And one of the most important holes. I have a bad feeling that we are going to end up back with Grady Little closer by committy. Not a good idea
  • Options
    Lets hold back on the Dice-K is going to be Pedro talk for about 6 years. Pedro is one the best pitchers we have seen in the last 40 years and Dice-K hasn't even thrown a pitch. Do you even know what kind of numbers he put up in Japan, didn't think so, lemme help. He was clearly a good pitcher the last 8 years, but that was in Japan against far less talent. He also had two long stays on the DL in seperate seasons. His team never won a title or playoff game. Just dont be cashing your Cy Young check just yet Sox fans.

108-60
    2.95 ERA
    1355 K's
    1402 2/3 innings
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed reading the ESPN article about the so-called "gyroball" he supposedly throws - it's a hoax. There's no such pitch, it is physically impossible to throw a pitch in the manner it is described, it's only a slow cut fastball (and it looks like a pitch a good hitter could hammer consistently).

I think the scouting report will be fully developed on him by the end of April, and I cannot image him being the savior that many are touting him as. His presence will not lead to larger attendance figures, as the Red Sox already sell out every home game and draw very well on the road. I think this will be a contract that they wish they not got involved in before the year is out.

I don't understand why anyone thinks the Red Sox have a good team this season quite honestly. And if anyone thinks Papelbon isn't going to have arm issues that quickly develop, I'll book those bets. With all the young talent on Tampa, I think the Sox and Rays will be duking it out for 3rd place behind New York and Toronto (who I think could sneak in and win the division, as they have an excellent team).
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barndog hit the nail on the head. While he may end up costing the Sox over 120m on the expense side, the revenue he produces will be vastly disproportionate to a comparably priced US or Dominican born pitcher. Cash is pouring in for advertising and Japanese rights to various sox items, thus radically reducing his cost. He is an inning-eating horse, so his "cost per out" may be quite reasonable.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Lets hold back on the Dice-K is going to be Pedro talk for about 6 years. Pedro is one the best pitchers we have seen in the last 40 years and Dice-K hasn't even thrown a pitch. Do you even know what kind of numbers he put up in Japan, didn't think so, lemme help. He was clearly a good pitcher the last 8 years, but that was in Japan against far less talent. He also had two long stays on the DL in seperate seasons. His team never won a title or playoff game. Just dont be cashing your Cy Young check just yet Sox fans.

108-60
    2.95 ERA
    1355 K's
    1402 2/3 innings >>

Im sure you did a ton of research in helping us out with Dice's stats (googling is tuff ,I know) his records in Japan are very good #'s and as far as his teams never winning a title or playoff games means what? He did not play on dominant teams with probably not the best run support yet posting a well above .500 win #'s counts for something....A very good pitcher, the Red Sox scouts see a lot of potential, believe that.
  • Options
    Not only that, but Schilling has been pretty impressed with him so far. Say what you want about Curt, but one thing he definitely is, is honest (and a pretty good judge of pitching ability). If he wasn't impressed, I'm sure he'd simply say nothing at all.

It is, of course, way too early to form any judgements. Let the man pitch a few games, and then lets revisit this topic. I think the Sox are already ahead of the game with this signing, but time will tell.

And, on the subject of the AL East - Boston third, behind Toronto and the Yankees? C'mon, now. image

The Red Sox were the only team in the AL East to significantly upgrade their team this season. Say what you want about J.D. Drew, but look at his numbers. Put him behind Ortiz and Manny, and the one place the Sox needed help with last season (RBI's from the 5th spot in the lineup) becomes a non-issue. Starting pitching is strong, with Schilling-Beckett-DiceK-Papelbon-Wakefield (and Lester waiting for a chance, now that he's healthy again). I will grant you some questions about the bullpen, but other than that - what have the Yankees done? Sign Andy Pettitte again? If you want to Google some stats, Google his numbers against AL hitters (from interleague play) the last three seasons, and you get an idea what you are in for as he returns to a tough hitting AL. They are also relying on Carl Pavano to pitch - need I say more?

Toronto will do just as they always have done - play well, but come up short. I give them credit for competing, and I like Halladay and Ryan a lot, but do they really have what it takes to win the toughest division in baseball? Maybe I'm missing something, but did they make any other improvements in their club this off-season?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And, on the subject of the AL East - Boston third, behind Toronto and the Yankees? C'mon, now. image

The Red Sox were the only team in the AL East to significantly upgrade their team this season. Say what you want about J.D. Drew, but look at his numbers. Put him behind Ortiz and Manny, and the one place the Sox needed help with last season (RBI's from the 5th spot in the lineup) becomes a non-issue. Starting pitching is strong, with Schilling-Beckett-DiceK-Papelbon-Wakefield (and Lester waiting for a chance, now that he's healthy again). I will grant you some questions about the bullpen, but other than that - what have the Yankees done? Sign Andy Pettitte again? If you want to Google some stats, Google his numbers against AL hitters (from interleague play) the last three seasons, and you get an idea what you are in for as he returns to a tough hitting AL. They are also relying on Carl Pavano to pitch - need I say more?

Toronto will do just as they always have done - play well, but come up short. I give them credit for competing, and I like Halladay and Ryan a lot, but do they really have what it takes to win the toughest division in baseball? Maybe I'm missing something, but did they make any other improvements in their club this off-season? >>

Toronto has made a couple tremendous improvements to its team, but most people don't think much of them. Adding Frank Thomas was a great move as they had very little production from the DH slot last year and his presence in that line-up will further protect Glaus, Wells & Overbay (who is always under-rated). Sure he's a liability on the basepaths, but what team doesn't have 1 or 2 guys who can't run? Additionally, Toronto should be able to look forward to a full season from A.J. Burnett, who is a dominating strikeout pitcher. If Chacin can stay healthy for most of the year, he is a solid 3 pitcher, while Okha and Thompson can both chew up innings with ERA's slightly over 4. The Toronto line-up is strong enough to keep them in the game when they start. Especially since Rios finally figured out how to play, Reed Johnson should show additional improvement, and their bullpen is solid.

Toronto will be the team to beat in the AL East this season.

The Red Sox don't have the chemistry or bullpen to win. Manny causes too many problems, the brutal media coverage has to weigh on the players eventually, and the skill level of several key veterans has declined substantially (Varitek, Wakefield, Timlin, even Schilling & Beckett to a lesser degree).

Don't toss Tampa aside quickly either, that team is up-and-coming fast. Their line-up is full of young, potent bats, lots of speed, and a very dominating pitcher leading the way (Kazmir).

The toughest division in baseball, make no mistake about it, is the AL Central. The Indians, Tigers and White Sox all have excellent teams this year, and had Minnesota not lost Liriano, they would have been a powerhouse again also.

• Options
    I do agree with your comments on Tampa Bay - I like them more than I like Toronto, actually. People have been waiting for Tampa Bay to step up and contend for a few years now, but they may need to add a pitcher or two to compliment Kazmir (who is fantastic).

Manny has been doing the same thing for years now - yet he still produces. I admit the bullpen is a tough spot, but Boston has made some minor upgrades there (signing Donnelly, who was rock solid in Anaheim for years - and Pineiro) and there is no doubt Beckett is a much better pitcher than he showed last season. I still think Drew is a huge addition, and don't forget Papelbon to the starting rotation. I'm very optimistic regarding this season.
  • Options

Im sure you did a ton of research in helping us out with Dice's stats (googling is tuff ,I know) his records in Japan are very good #'s and as far as his teams never winning a title or playoff games means what? He did not play on dominant teams with probably not the best run support yet posting a well above .500 win #'s counts for something....A very good pitcher, the Red Sox scouts see a lot of potential, believe that. >>

Perk - Never once did I say I did any research, my source for this one was Wikipedia. I just cannot believe how many people are so quick to hand something to someone before they have even stepped on a field, court or mound. I guess these Red Sox scouts are the same ones who see potential in JD Drew....crash and burn baby
  • Options

<< <i>Im sure you did a ton of research in helping us out with Dice's stats (googling is tuff ,I know) his records in Japan are very good #'s and as far as his teams never winning a title or playoff games means what? He did not play on dominant teams with probably not the best run support yet posting a well above .500 win #'s counts for something....A very good pitcher, the Red Sox scouts see a lot of potential, believe that. >>

Perk - Never once did I say I did any research, my source for this one was Wikipedia. I just cannot believe how many people are so quick to hand something to someone before they have even stepped on a field, court or mound. I guess these Red Sox scouts are the same ones who see potential in JD Drew....crash and burn baby >>

OK..whatever your source is, thats fine as I do the same thing. I agree that we should let Dice-K pitch before we crown him a potential Pedro Martinez type pitcher, that being said we should not call him out as a waste of money yet right? As far as the Sox crashing and burning goes JD Drew did get overpaid but there are a ton of clauses in that contract of his to cover their a$$ incase of him ("most likely" i should say) getting injured, remember this though Drew is in place to cover the loss of Trot Nixon, NOT to carry the team offensively. The Red Sox have taken a shot to drastically better the team, the upside outweighs the downside. Again "crash and burn" ? Your cracking me up.....image
  • Options
    Was Trot Nixon that important to the Red Sox? Here in Cleveland, we continue to laugh at that signing as one of the worst this off-season. Time will tell in all cases
  • Options

<< <i>Was Trot Nixon that important to the Red Sox? Here in Cleveland, we continue to laugh at that signing as one of the worst this off-season. Time will tell in all cases >>

Thats exactly what Im saying, JD Drew is taking Trots place...a considerable upgrade!!! And you are correct sir, time will tell in all cases. Who really knows? Trot could be a Triple Crown winner this season, thats why we let the games be played image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Toronto will do just as they always have done - play well, but come up short. I give them credit for competing, and I like Halladay and Ryan a lot, but do they really have what it takes to win the toughest division in baseball? Maybe I'm missing something, but did they make any other improvements in their club this off-season? >>

Toronto has made a couple tremendous improvements to its team, but most people don't think much of them. Adding Frank Thomas was a great move as they had very little production from the DH slot last year and his presence in that line-up will further protect Glaus, Wells & Overbay (who is always under-rated). Sure he's a liability on the basepaths, but what team doesn't have 1 or 2 guys who can't run? Additionally, Toronto should be able to look forward to a full season from A.J. Burnett, who is a dominating strikeout pitcher. If Chacin can stay healthy for most of the year, he is a solid 3 pitcher, while Okha and Thompson can both chew up innings with ERA's slightly over 4. The Toronto line-up is strong enough to keep them in the game when they start. Especially since Rios finally figured out how to play, Reed Johnson should show additional improvement, and their bullpen is solid.

Toronto will be the team to beat in the AL East this season.

The Red Sox don't have the chemistry or bullpen to win. Manny causes too many problems, the brutal media coverage has to weigh on the players eventually, and the skill level of several key veterans has declined substantially (Varitek, Wakefield, Timlin, even Schilling & Beckett to a lesser degree).

Don't toss Tampa aside quickly either, that team is up-and-coming fast. Their line-up is full of young, potent bats, lots of speed, and a very dominating pitcher leading the way (Kazmir).

The toughest division in baseball, make no mistake about it, is the AL Central. The Indians, Tigers and White Sox all have excellent teams this year, and had Minnesota not lost Liriano, they would have been a powerhouse again also. >>

First of all, no chemistry? Manny not being able to handle the pressure of the media? Are you on drugs. What has been going on ever since Manny stepped foot in Fenway? The media, it may bother you are right. I wish it didn't cause then according to what you are saying, and that the media weighs too much on the players, Manny without the media should be hitting 65 HRs, 198 RBIs, 200 Runs Scored. WOW thats amazing. I don't care what you say about Manny and how he casues too manny problems. He STILL produces incredible numbers for someone with "so much media critizism". Year in and year out people do nothing but talk s*#T ahout Manny, however he still comes to win. He is still the most feared hitter in the line up. Granted we have D.O. You can say whatever you want about Manny. He is clutch, maybe not as much or in the same aspect as Ortiz, but I will take Manny's Bull%*#$ any day of the for the production we get out of him.

However I do agree with you as far as Toronto is concerned. Whoever said that Toronto is the team to beat in the AL this year is a retard. Go back to knitting. Toronto does the same thing year and year out. Starts of doing great but can't finish. Just like Baltimore. They have their midseason crash and never recover from it. Inm y opinion with the additions the Sox made this offseason, the Sox are defintately the team to beat. Granted they are going to be in serious trouble if they don't get a closer in there. I think we will be seeing Papelbon back in the bullpen earlier than you think this season. I think that he will step up and go back to the bullpen and save games. Other than a closer the sox have a complete team. The best pitching roation that we have seen in years. I think they have a better team than that they won the World Series. Im not saying that the same out come is going to happen, but i think their lineup is going to be feared and it should be.
  • Options
    I think Toronto will be better than some of you fellas are giving them credit for. As far as Manny goes it is painfully obvious that he is one of the most consistent hitters in the majors and well worth the "Manny being Manny" foolishness, the Sox know this and put up with it because of his bottom line #'s.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    If Manny decides to "care" this season, he could win the damn triple crown! That is a HUGE if though I agree. From a Red Sox insider "We are going to bounce Beckett's head off the dugout steps a few times and see if THEN he will start listening to the pitching coach" true story image I would like to see Gagne in our bullpen, but I think they should keep Papelbon in there
  • Options
    Like Blumpkin said, I would not take Papelbon's shoulder issues into a regular rotaion and the grind that comes with it, as far as him being a closer goes...its not broke so why fix it?
  • Options
    I'd prefer to see Papelbon in the rotation (he's a starter - made into a reliever to fill the slot last year) but I can definitely see a scenario where he switches back to closer, and Lester takes his spot in the rotation. I also think Theo might surprise you with a trade for a closer before then, but otherwise they will wait and see how Pineiro fares.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

riiiiiiight, Jerry, that was the same song you sung all last winter and spring too. Anyway, if anybody thinks the Yankees did not do wonders to improve themselves this year and beyond with their off season moves then there is alot of wish predicting going on. ALOT of it. Now that the Yankees have superb arms with Phillip Hughes leading the way on the horizon its not so fun to poke fun at the "barron" Yankee system anymore huh? These kids pack a wallop, not the over hyped and WAY over rated group the Sox were touting until most of them melted to the Yankees in that 5 game Sox debacle that sunk their season last year.image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Nomo was a good, not great pitcher for a few years, but eventually his stuff was average at best. Why, the hitters were able to adjust to him and Nomo failed to make his chages and this is where Nomo failed, as did Hideki. Take Chien Ming Wang, I bet he is out of the majors in three years. These Japanese pitchers are nothing more than a flash in the pan >>

Actually Chien Ming Wang is Korean, not Japanese
  • Options

<< <i>
    Actually Chien Ming Wang is Korean, not Japanese >>

He is Taiwanese, not Korean image Also, pitchers with deadly sinkers do not fade away in three years. Even if they were Japanese image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Actually Chien Ming Wang is Korean, not Japanese >>

He is Taiwanese, not Korean image Also, pitchers with deadly sinkers do not fade away in three years. Even if they were Japanese image >>

Touché
  • Options
    No matter, of the same ilk. We shall see in about a month or so
  • Options
    Yankees, Spankees. The DICE MAN cometh!!! Im done with this Blah Blah Blah, I believe the HYPE!!!! He will win the CY-Young award!! He will win 25 games!!! He will notch 300 K's!!!!

Ok lets just be happy for starters that Guys are reporting to camp and its going to be fun.
  • Options
    Not looking too bad this spring so far for limited pitches......Getting along with everyone as well.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Are you refering to the 2 homers he gave up to non roster invitees?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    iF the Dice man wins 16+ games and gives them 25 quality starts, he will be worth the money. its the price of pitching.
  • Options

<< <i>iF the Dice man wins 16+ games and gives them 25 quality starts, he will be worth the money. its the price of pitching. >>

He better with that Bad News Bears bullpen !!!!!! image

• Options
    I think Daisuke will be a very good pitcher. He dominated the Japanese league, which is like AAAA in my opinion. He is also at the right age (26) for the Sox to have him at his peak. I think this was a great signing seeing as how some of the other money, see Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, and Gil Meche, was grossly mis-spent on mediocre talent. At least Daisuke has the potential to be a dominant pitcher. Those other guys are just going to stay the same, average to above average at best.

The $51 Million the Red Sox paid to talk to him might as well be chalked up to Marketing money. If anyone has been to the Red Sox store lately in Fenway will see how they are already recouping that $51 Million already. Plus all of the additional money they are generating by selling Sox gear in Japan and in TV broadcasts in Japan. I don't think people will understand the hoopla that will be generated when Seattle comes to town in April. ICHIRO vs. DAISUKE!!
    The Red Sox store has Red Sox shirts and hats with Japanese writing. I know a girl who works for the store and told me that nobody is buying Ortiz and Manny anymore. Everyone wants Daisuke. When I was in there a couple of weeks ago the place was mostly filled with Japanese people buying Daisuke stuff and taking pictures inside the store, which I did not understand.

My own personal opinion is that he vaguely reminds me of Pedro. Now Pedro had arguably the best 8 year span for a pitcher EVER. However, in the limited amount of pitching I have seen from Daisuke, it seems like the ball comes out of his hand like it did for Pedro. The same crazy movement and great fastball and changeup. I guess we'll just have to see image

- End of Rant -
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i hope not

GO O's
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>iF the Dice man wins 16+ games and gives them 25 quality starts, he will be worth the money. its the price of pitching. >>

He better with that Bad News Bears bullpen !!!!!! image >>

Better that - than a Bad News Bears starting rotation, like they have in the Bronx. How's Carl Pavano doing?

And actually, the Sox pen isn't that bad. I admit, they lack a true closer, but Donnelly was one of the best setup men in baseball for the last few years in Anaheim, and Craig Hansen has tons of potential as a closer for the future. Pineiro and Tavarez have pitched well so far this spring also...any one of those four could be the closer. Hopefully the top notch starting rotation the Sox have assembled will make this a non issue anyway.