Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Body-bagged Barber that I will continue to love

dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
My photos aren't the best but the coin is actually quite attractive. SO....as an educational exercise if anyone would like to share pix of similar almost-rans, especially Barbers, I think it would be interesting to have as a reference. Note that I feel any of the cleaning that may have been done is exeedingly minor and in fact may just be the result of incidental contact in the coins life, despite knowing what surface conditions actually constitute "original". This was one coin in my first ever submission to PCGS and four of eight were successful, exactly as I had anticipated. I will still continue to selectively purchase coins with old skin that I like whether or not I think they will slab, as long as they're not covered with obvious hairlines, and I'm wondering if anyone feels the same way, that a BB is not the end of a raw coin's favored place in a well constructed collection?
I hope these jpegs attached correctly.image
We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Pics are a little too small to tell for sure, but looks like a very attractive coin.image
    Becky
  • Options
    imageIf you like it that is all that counts.image
  • Options

May your stay here be both entertaining & rewarding. image

Also, nice looking Barber! I'd keep it. image

JR.

edited for image
    *JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES*
    "Always Do Right, This Will Gratify Some And Astonish The Others" - Mark Twain
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough coin in that condition.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    imageimage

Welcome!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I have this 1896-O in an ANACS AU 55 Details - Cleaned which looks really nice...IMHO;
    the previous owner submitted it to PCGS and they Body-Bagged it. It rests comfortably
    in the Dansco album near another Body Bagged coin - an 1894-S - which is an AU 58 -
    but was described as Questionable Color. [ Sorry, no images of the 94-S ].

Both coins [ combined ] cost me a whopping $86.50.
    These purchases were in 2006, in case you think this happened many years ago.

What amazes me is that noone else blind-sighted me on these coins.

Here's the 1896-O:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I personally would keep either barber shown on this thread......image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on; I don't do these things to other people, I require the same from them."
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have this 1896-O in an ANACS AU 55 Details - Cleaned which looks really nice...IMHO;
    the previous owner submitted it to PCGS and they Body-Bagged it. It rests comfortably
    in the Dansco album near another Body Bagged coin - an 1894-S - which is an AU 58 -
    but was described as Questionable Color. [ Sorry, no images of the 94-S ].

Both coins [ combined ] cost me a whopping $86.50.
    These purchases were in 2006, in case you think this happened many years ago.

What amazes me is that noone else blind-sighted me on these coins.

O.K. So you're saying that body bagged AU's ARE WORTH VG MONEY. I'll just slither away now....image
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    its not a barber but i just got this back in a BB. my first ever.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. As stated above if you like it that is all that matters.

IMO it is a nice coin.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Looks like a pretty nice coin. It was definitely worth the effort to submit it to PCGS, considering it's the key date Barber half, and it looks to grade (at least from the tiny images), about XF.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi, dogwood!!

Welcome!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file