Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1824 Capped Bust ?

This is just a plain 1824 Bust that I am interested in. No over-date......Is there any information on what to look for about the Overton # and rarity. I really dont know too much about the "Busts" to know what to look for......Thank You

Maybe I can get a pic of it later..........It is a PCGS AU55

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The variety will be based upon the position of the stars, date, reverse letters, etc. If you can post an image, you will surely get a quick and accurate attribution here. The book to use is Early Half Dollar Die Varieties, buy Overton/Parsely, although there are other references that you can use.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    There are about 23 overton varieties for this date. If you posts good large photos of your coin I am sure someone will be able to identify the overton variety for you. If you are going to collect bust halves you need to get this book... United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836.
  • Options
    I will try and get some pics.............Thank You !
  • Options
    Hope this works....image
  • Options
    I just took a look and there just isn't enough detail (particularly on the left obverse ). Based on what I can make out, my best shot would be O-108, R.2 There are probably some here who can make a final attribution from your pictures. Nice looking Bust (AU)
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

It is O-108, an R.2 variety. Billboat is correct that it is tough to attribute from the images provided. The key indicators: 1) star 13 nearly touches lower curl, 2) star 7 points to center of headband, 3) I under right side of T. Looks like a nice coin.
  • Options
    Numisma--I went back and took another look and came up with 108 also--I was a minute too late on my edit--but glad we agree--my diagnostics were the same.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options

<< <i>Numisma--I went back and took another look and came up with 108 also--I was a minute too late on my edit--but glad we agree--my diagnostics were the same. >>

• Options
    Thank all of you for the help.........image
  • Options
    So did you get it?
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Yes I did get it ......The pics were not that good......It looks so much better in hand.......image
  • Options
    So, now we want--demand! new pictures in hand! After all our hard attribution work!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    I just looked at the reverse, but I came up with 108 as well. Definitely reverse G.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file