Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BUY THE SLAB...not the....

There has been a thread here about the Cincinnati commemorative being auctioned by Heritage in a rare, first generation black slab. It is lot 5978 in the auctioned, scheduled to go off around 3:00 (Eastern time) today. The closing internet bid on the coin is $3,250, plus the commission or a total of $3,737!!!image
I have seen the coin, graded MS-65 with some orange color. It is not very pretty, and normally sells in the $650, maybe even $700 range. So people have bid an extra $3,000 plus, just for the slab. AMAZING!!
No good deed goes unpunished

Comments

• Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    a case of "buy the slab, not the coin??imageimageimage
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are posting this in this forum for what reason????

There are more plastic worshipers on this board on a per capita basis than anywhere else on the planet.

And we know who they areimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    True Slab Collectors!

These black holders are a part of the NGC Heritage right along with the PCGS Doily Slabs. Something you just don't see everyday and folks are willing to pay serious money so that they can either say they have one or so they CAN see it everyday.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do these black NGC slabs compare to the PCGS Regency slabs as far as rarity and value? I have the second NGC slab with the white insert and the plain paper label. How do they compare to the black NGC slab? Thanks for any help.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    This was discussed in a prior thread. Apparently the black slabs were only used for about 3 months, and are considered very rare. I've looked at slabbed coins for 14 years, and don't recall ever seeing a black slab before seeing the one with the Cincinnati commem.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Hmmm. $3K for some plastic or $3K for some more coins ...... ? Such dilemmas.

And the First Church of Plastic congregants have such a hard time wondering why some of us question their numismatic integrity?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I think the coolness factor of a *rare* slab is worth a least a LITTLE bit of "buying the holder" along with buying the coin. But not *that* much, sheesh!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like coins... not holders. For those intereste, do a search.. a complete slab history of all TPG's was posted some time ago, with pictures. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I collect Morgans in OGH Old Green Holders......I sometimes pay more for the plastic and not the coin.......sometimes the most beautiful women look better with their clothes on....image
  • Options
    wow, thats a huge premium
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One difference between the NGC black and PCGS Regency is that the NGC black was a true production slab and the PCGS Regency was a specialty slab - you paid a premium for having the coin holdered in a PCGS Regency slab. Nice idea, but apparently not very successful.

Recently PCGS Regency slabs have sold in the $400 range (slab, plus leather pouch and box) and contained an inexpensive coin (less than $50, IIRC)

The NGC black slabs I have seen "offered" (I use the quotes because usually someone has "offered" that amount and has been turned down) is in the $800 range for a $150 coin or so. The current price of the NGC black on Heritage is quite amusing...I certainly hope somebody is seeing that coin as a 67!

If not...I have a nice NGC black Iowa in 65...hmmm....say $3499...yeah...that would be nice. Anyone know the current underbidder at Heritage? LOL! image

Lane

P.S. Speaking of rare slabs...anyone see many of the PCGS multi-coin slabs out on the bourse?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Hmmm. $3K for some plastic or $3K for some more coins ...... ? Such dilemmas.

And the First Church of Plastic congregants have such a hard time wondering why some of us question their numismatic integrity? >>

Although I personally would much rather spend $3k on more coins (or anything else really, than a "rare" slab). I wouldn't question someone's "numismatic integrity" for choosing to buy such a thing. Some people have the money to easily afford such a thing without it affecting their other pursuits and if it makes them happy, more power to them. The people whose "numismatic integrity" I question are those who alter coins for profit, shill auctions, overgrade or otherwise behave unethically. As Ben Franklin said: "Mind Your Business".
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    You are not understanding what I mean by numismatic integrity. It has nothing to do with ethics (though demonizing the coin doctors and shills is always welcomed) and everything to do with numismatics. The history of TPG slabs is on the sidelines. Plastic collecting is not a specialty within coin collecting.

And Franklin's quote is not contextually consistent with its modern usage.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>I collect Morgans in OGH Old Green Holders......I sometimes pay more for the plastic and not the coin.......sometimes the most beautiful women look better with their clothes on....image >>

Please don't take this wrong-----but this completely describes you as a plastic collector not a coin collector.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    the First Church of Plastic

I like that! image
    And I actually like that coin too... without the hefty plastic premium..
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. $3K for some plastic or $3K for some more coins ...... ? Such dilemmas.

And the First Church of Plastic congregants have such a hard time wondering why some of us question their numismatic integrity? >>

Wake up dude! It has nothing to do with Numismatic Integrity! Its all about collecting unusual and, what some consider, rare slabs.

I have absolutely no doubts that the folks bidding on this are not even considering the coin, just the historical black slab!

Who would have thought 20 years ago that people would not only pay big bucks for slabbed coins but pay even more for the slab its buried in?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

Wake up dude! It has nothing to do with Numismatic Integrity! Its all about collecting unusual and, what some consider, rare slabs.

I have absolutely no doubts that the folks bidding on this are not even considering the coin, just the historical black slab!

Who would have thought 20 years ago that people would not only pay big bucks for slabbed coins but pay even more for the slab its buried in? >>

Well thanks for at least having the integrity to come right out and say it has nothing to do with even considering the coin.....hence---a plastic collector NOT a coin collector. Right?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This coin just sold for $4,312.50. Must be the worlds most expensive piece of plastic.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Plastic collecting is not a specialty within coin collecting. >>

Says who? I'm sure that plenty of folks who consider themselves serious numismatists also collect different and unusual slabs. Numismatics encompasses a broad swath of money collecting.

<< <i>And Franklin's quote is not contextually consistent with its modern usage. >>

Yeah, I know. but it sounded good. image
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    then there was the 36-S Cinn that went close to 10K in the same auction

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file