Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Significant breakout in gold...

took out $657...now at 666...oooooh!image

Should go higher...this is the "quiet, non-frenzied" 3rd wave. It could last for a year and move nice and slow. There are 5 waves....this has been a picture prefect bull market that started in 2001-2002.

Stay tuned.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $700 GOLD BY ST. SWITHINS' DAY!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Does "breakout" mean the same as "moved to the top of it's price range?"

• Options
    Does that mean it's time to sell my last two ten dollar gold pieces?image
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>took out $657...now at 666...oooooh!image

Should go higher...this is the "quiet, non-frenzied" 3rd wave. It could last for a year and move nice and slow. There are 5 waves....this has been a picture prefect bull market that started in 2001-2002.

Stay tuned. >>

Well, I'll be....it's SaintElliott.image
  • Options
    I'll bet The Mint is working feverishly to readjust
    the prices of their Gold Proof Coins to be released
    this coming Monday!
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$700 GOLD BY ST. SWITHINS' DAY!!!!!!!! >>

I thought Howland Owl said it would be on Whitsuntide.

???????
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭

<< <i>$700 GOLD BY ST. SWITHINS' DAY!!!!!!!! >>

Ahh, "We few, we happy few.

We band of brothers".
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Man, can you hear all those buffalo jumpin' around?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could single handedly make the price of gold plumet if I wanted to. All it would take is for me to invest in it and it would drop like a rock right after I made payment.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    STAMPEDE!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does "breakout" mean the same as "moved to the top of it's price range?" >>

Have you ever found my language to be vague?image

It has broken out from previous highs, and various other technical factors (MACD, etc.) have confirmed this. Nothing says it won;t do some work at this price, but it's just reconfirmed what many of us knew. Gold will go higher.

I make no projections based on time frame...but certainly $725-$750 is in the future.
  • Options

<< <i>but certainly $725-$750 is in the future. >>

How about $400?
  • Options
    I bought a few gold coins when gold was in the $300-$400 range,now I wish I would have bought a dump truck full, at least a Tonka dump truck.image
  • Options
    ex-Cokkney avatar~

where is it? who is using it now? Does he own some gold?
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news - your Gold Eagles and Saints are worth more.

The bad news - your 2007 Gold purchases will cost more.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Cool. That set of four gold proof Britannias I bought in a Heritage auction last month cost me less than current melt. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>The good news - your Gold Eagles and Saints are worth more.

The bad news - your 2007 Gold purchases will cost more. >>

Actually....my Saints aren't wrth more. They change based on demand. When someone wants to BUY a 1927-S MS65...it goes up 30K. ;D
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news. To the moon!
  • Options
    Go baby!
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually....my Saints aren't wrth more. They change based on demand. When someone wants to BUY a 1927-S MS65...it goes up 30K. ;D

Of course, I know that Your Saints are already worth more. I meant bullion-related Saints.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold could hit $400 on it's way to $1000-$1500. That's all part of the fun as the Loose Louie's get shaken out on each
    down turn. During the mid 1970's gold experienced a 50% correction. Only the strong and true believers survive.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Gold could hit $400 on it's way to $1000-$1500. >>

I'd buy that dip with both hands.
  • Options

<< <i>Gold could hit $400 on it's way to $1000-$1500. >>

C'mon $400. I'm pulling for ya baby !

Freakimage
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy,

I d love to see a short period of 400.00 gold, Id buy a couple hundred ounces myself
  • Options
    $400.

About as likely as $30/bbl. oil.

FUGEDDABOUDIT!image
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    dropping this morning... $645
  • Options

<< <i>dropping this morning... $645 >>

Doesn't matter. This isn't a day-trading pattern.
  • Options
    Yeah it sure looks like it's eating all of yesterdays gains and more today.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah it sure looks like it's eating all of yesterdays gains and more today. >>

You aren't getting it Clad. It doesn't matter. If gold just hovers here for a few days and eventually takes out yesterday's high it's all good. This wave should take us back over $700.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah it sure looks like it's eating all of yesterdays gains and more today. >>

You aren't getting it Clad. It doesn't matter. If gold just hovers here for a few days and eventually takes out yesterday's high it's all good. This wave should take us back over $700. >>

ok
  • Options

Gold's price uptrend looks like an example from the 1st day of Investing 102.
  • Options
    Breakout not confirmed. Looks like it'll be put on hold for a little while.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    You guys always get excited when gold is just operating in the same range that it has been for the past year. Let me know when it goes to 680 and stays there two weeks. Otherwise it is just random movement and operating in a zone. Check the Kitco one year history for gold and see what I am talking about.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys always get excited when gold is just operating in the same range that it has been for the past year. Let me know when it goes to 680 and stays there two weeks. Otherwise it is just random movement and operating in a zone. Check the Kitco one year history for gold and see what I am talking about. >>

NO. I don't get TOO excited. I have only been tracking gold since 1977. And no one is gonna let you know anything....

You do your homework and I'll do mine. But don't start preaching. I have nailed this market for as long as I've been watching it, and what I see is what I see. By thetime your'e onboard gold will be 690 and climbing.

I'll stand by my analysis.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys always get excited when gold is just operating in the same range that it has been for the past year. Let me know when it goes to 680 and stays there two weeks. Otherwise it is just random movement and operating in a zone. Check the Kitco one year history for gold and see what I am talking about. >>

A year ago gold was at $550. Today it's at $650. That's an increase of nearly 20%. 2 years ago gold was at $420. That's a 2 year increase of over 50%. 3 years ago gold was trading at $400. 4 years ago gold was trading at $350. 5 years ago it was trading at $300. A 5 year increase of over 100%. Everything has short-term "zones" as you call them, but those "zones" trend up or down, and in gold's case it's been trending up for 5 consecutive years. Gold has a long way to go to catch up to where it should be relative to the worthless dollar. That is just my opinion. To say that gold has been the winner the past 5 years is a documented fact, unless you can find the oddball stock that did better--of course, and bought it back when it was at bottom.
  • Options
    Well said, Lou Gehrig.

We are in a primary bull market, after a 21 year bear market.

These bull phases aren't just blips, aren't short-lived, and have lot's of volatile shake-outs in the process. Since the bull market began it's been almost picture-perfect.

Some will say it's because of oil, the dollar, the Arabs...whatever...I say it's because of GOLD. It is what it is, and everything and nothing cause it to move. GOLD is a primary commodity...and always has been. It leads others...
  • Options

If an investment is obviously in a rising trend and price channel, why conclude it is moving randomly and not worthy of investment?

• Options
    Thanks for the kitco tip , while I was there I also looked at the 30 day , 5 year and 10 year charts ( I get burned just looking at 1 chart). Kinda looks like a long term UPTREND to me.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Gold has had a nice uptick in the past two months. But I still see no evidence of a breakout from the original date of the post. Yes, gold and silver have moved with ALL metals over the past few years. As a wise investor once said it is not as important to have the right company stock as it is to be in the right sector. I agree wholeheartedly and in this case the sector is metals. Gold is just one of them.

This is not to say that I do not believe gold will move upward. I certainly believe platinum will over the next year. But isnt that why all this speculation is fun.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold has had a nice uptick in the past two months. But I still see no evidence of a breakout from the original date of the post. Yes, gold and silver have moved with ALL metals over the past few years. As a wise investor once said it is not as important to have the right company stock as it is to be in the right sector. I agree wholeheartedly and in this case the sector is metals. Gold is just one of them.

This is not to say that I do not believe gold will move upward. I certainly believe platinum will over the next year. But isnt that why all this speculation is fun. >>

It looked like the shorts tried to engineer another massive drop in the
    prices of the metals over the weekend and failed. If so then we are on
    the verge of another leg up. This one would be longer and higher than
    the last, though it still feels too early for the market to move. Silver is
    exceedingly dicey right now. If you're invested it's a good time to sit tight.
    If not, then it may be getting close to too late, or a chance to get in.

The wide trading range is beginning to break down. Silver needs to get
    through $14 quick if it's going to ride gold's coattails.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 50% shakeout is entirely possible along the way. Imagine a move to $1000 that falls back to $500? The naysayers will be convinced the move in gold is "finally" dead, though they say that after every correction that has occurred the past 5 years.

As Lou said, until you break the long term bull trend for good, the market is gonna run.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>A 50% shakeout is entirely possible along the way. Imagine a move to $1000 that falls back to $500? The naysayers will be convinced the move in gold is "finally" dead, though they say that after every correction that has occurred the past 5 years.

As Lou said, until you break the long term bull trend for good, the market is gonna run.

roadrunner >>

I think that $500 is an ancient relic but I can see a run and then a 50% shakeout back to $750 in the future . Just hope that it is my lifetime.
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    I enjoy a good discussion, but I CAN'T BELIEVE that some of you doubt my thread!! (and my work)image

When I say there's a breakout....there IS a breakout. I think some of you expect an immediate follow-through, some want to see a $25+ gain as a followup, whatever.

All I need, using 30+ years of experience with technical analysis and fundamental indicators is to see 5 things occur. (I am not giving the recipe) I call that the 100% situation. WE have it.

Gold is in it's 3rd wave...and as I said, this wave can easily last a year, and it doesn't tend to be a headline-grabbing, dynamic, back-up-the-truck type of move this time. It's the long, slow in your face, stealthy move. By the time the talking heads start chattering gold will be $690 or higher...

Well, its at 662.80 as I type, and it's going higher. image
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    What is the highest gold has ever been at?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I enjoy a good discussion, but I CAN'T BELIEVE that some of you doubt my thread!! (and my work)image

When I say there's a breakout....there IS a breakout. I think some of you expect an immediate follow-through, some want to see a $25+ gain as a followup, whatever.

All I need, using 30+ years of experience with technical analysis and fundamental indicators is to see 5 things occur. (I am not giving the recipe) I call that the 100% situation. WE have it.

Gold is in it's 3rd wave...and as I said, this wave can easily last a year, and it doesn't tend to be a headline-grabbing, dynamic, back-up-the-truck type of move this time. It's the long, slow in your face, stealthy move. By the time the talking heads start chattering gold will be $690 or higher...

Well, its at 662.80 as I type, and it's going higher. image >>

And quite a BREAKOUT it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

Kitco
  • Options

<< <i>What is the highest gold has ever been at? >>

1980 ~$880 (Uncle Bunky)
    2006 ~$740

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I bought oil instead of gold. Got 30 barrels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file