Home Sports Talk
Options

Who is your favorite athlete of all time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    YES!!!image
  • Options
    Boy oh boy....were only allowed to pick one?? Well as a Hockey Fan but a Philly Flyer fan, I still
    have to go with the Greatest player in Hockey History.....Bobby Orr.....revolutionized the game
    and was pure class.....and what a joy to watch.....

So many others....Staubach, Jean Beliveau, Reggie Jackson, Cobb (what a character), Hank Aaron,
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Michael Jordon
    Tiger Woods

also-------------->>>>> Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, Jimmy Brown, Willie Shoemaker

rd

• Options
    Gil Hodges
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Larry Bird - I have played basketball my whole life, and have always tried to emulate his game since I was a kid. Runner up would have to be Carl Yastrzemski, another player whose style I copied (I still swing the bat like he used to while at the plate) - but because I played far more basketball than baseball, I'll go with the Hick from French Lick.
  • Options
    Archie Manning
    John Vineyard

• Options
    kobe
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    how the hell is Muhammad Ali not a favorite among at least some of the people here.

he is the greatest of all time.

A L-I-V-I-N-G L-E-G-E-N-D!

• Options
    eh. ali. yawn.

oh i forgot, you dont like griffey lol.
  • Options
    Nolan Ryan. Was a big fan of his growing up, but then I watched him pitch his 7th no-hitter in Arlington. The next day me and my dad drove around Dallas and Arlington buying all the newspapers I could...sold most of these when I started ebay years ago.

What is everyone's favorite no one else seems to care about player? Mine would be Bret Saberhagen.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Overall favorite athlete? Jim Thorpe.
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Would go to the sports bars on Sunday morning just to see Barry Sanders carry the ball. Forget the crappy Lions teams he played on, his ability to go the distance ANY time he touched the ball and make pro bowl players look utterly inept trying to tackle him made Football fun to watch.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by far, Luis Tiant! Idolized the guy when I was growing up. Like 1000's of other Sox fans, I mimicked his mannerisms when I played baseball. And like hundreds of other coaches, mine tried to erase that kind of imprinting from me.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barndog:

I always thought his best pitching days were in Cleveland. He and Juan Marishal were really fun to watch...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barndog:

I always thought his best pitching days were in Cleveland. He and Juan Marishal were really fun to watch... >>

...oh, for the MLB of the 60s and 70s again image
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Steve Yzerman.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭
    Carew
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Mickey Mantle, 565 ft home run, 18 world series hr, 3 mvp awards,535 hrs, triple crown, 7 time world champion! to much to list, and the most famous baseball card ever.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Dwight Evans, he lived in my town growing up. One of the nicest guys ever!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Athletes I saw compete,

Don Mattingly, Ron Guidry, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Muhammad Ali, Pele, Chris Mullin, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Lawrence Taylor.

Some all time greats off hand...Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Whitey Ford, Bobby Jones, Bobby Orr, Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown, Walt Frazier, Jim Braddock
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Toughest question ever?
    Basketball - Malckton, I mean Stoclone - I mean John Malone errr. Karl Stockton...forget that one. Too close!
    Football - Flully, I mean Kelutie - darn! Jim Flutie - Doug Kelly - forget it!
    Baseball - Mattenderson, shoot - Hendingly...darn computer - Don Henderson - I mean Rickey Mattingly - can't do it.
    Hockey - Hasek! That one's easy! Oh wait - Lafontaine!

Forget it - I can't name just one!