Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody see the GSA $5 gold coin on treasure Hunter?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to coin collecting and have a question. I was watching treasure hunter with Jimmy Gertsel last Friday and he had a coin on there which he said 5000 were just discovered, he said it was a GSA $5 gold coin and the dates were varied but were around 1879, They were also graded. He had 75 coins and was selling these for $599. Do you think that would have beed a good buy? Sure would seem to be with only 5000 coins?

Thank you,
Chuck.

Chuck,

Ever Onward

Comments

• Options
    They are worth around $175. ea. Seen a few around.. image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forums, Delorean!

I think you said the person on the show said there were 5,000 coins discovered. That doesn't cover how many are already in existence before the discovery. If there are a million coins already, discovering 5,000 doesn't constitute a discovery of something that is really rare. Now, if there are only 500 known and 5,000 are discovered, that's a different story entirely.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

I think you said the person on the show said there were 5,000 coins discovered. That doesn't cover how many are already in existence before the discovery. If there are a million coins already, discovering 5,000 doesn't constitute a discovery of something that is really rare. Now, if there are only 500 known and 5,000 are discovered, that's a different story entirely.

Yeah, the first scenario is discovering 5000 worthless coins while the second scenario describes finding so many that the value instantly plummets. image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    GSA "discoveries" , just another marketing ploy IMHO !! Here is a letter I got from a dealer you might find of interest .

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the comments, I didn't buy one but they sure sold what they had quickly!
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Delorean
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Welcome! Didn't see that particular show--I do watch it once in a while. His stuff is at least more interesting (eg., the $5 golds you asked about) than the Coin Vault's never ending proof sets and high graded bullion--just as over priced but at least interesting.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!

WoodenJefferson..That doesn't appear to look like the Delorean that is in my garage!! :-)
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    If you ever decide to show off a picture of your car, here's the acceptable "on topic" post text that should accompany your image--

Hi all! In honor of the 25th birthday of my De Lorean DMC-12, post pics of your favorite steel cent!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Within the past few months, in an audit of the U.S. vaults, the GSA found a
    group of less then 5,000 pieces of old U.S. gold coinage. With so few
    coins, a public sale was out of the question. Can you imagine the riots it
    would cause if a public sale for less then 5,000 coins was announced? The
    GSA decided to have the coins graded and certified by Numismatic Guaranty
    Corporation (NGC) who has been dubbed with the title of the grading service of
    choice by the ANA (American Numismatic Association). NGC not only graded
    and certified these these coins but also marked these coins with a GSA pedigree
    on the label that appears within the coin encapsulation. This is great
    news for the Coin Collector, because now there is GSA gold that is
    available to match the GSA Silver Dollars. The GSA has auctioned off
    these gold pieces, and 3 or 4 major Coin Dealers within the United States are
    currently in possession of these gold pieces for their collectors. Some of
    these Dealers are prepared to sell them immediately, and some are just going to
    wait. Among the gold pieces are the Liberty Head $2 1/2, $5, $10and $20,
    as well as the Indian Head $2 1/2, $5, $10 and the $20 St. Gaudens.

The GSA Gold will be sold at at premium because they were purchased from the
    government at premium prices, so expect to pay more then you would normally.
    It seems that there are a variety of grades available from Very Fine through the
    Gem Mint States grades, and the pricing will vary accordingly. Pricing for
    the coins starts at about $500.00 (USD) to well over $3000.00 (USD) depending on
    the date, mintmark, denomination and grade of the coin. The release of the
    GSA Gold has just started to the general public through a couple of the auction
    winning Coin Dealers so don't expect to find them on eBay at this time or
    through magazine advertisements because you just will not find them. As a
    matter of fact, many Coin Dealers within the United States do not even know GSA
    gold exists.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    the late night crew was there - JG and Laura are like bad crack - not enjoyable, but not avoidable either...

I love me some cheezy coin hucksters!!
  • Options
    Does anyone have more info on these sales? Wouldn't the GSA's sales price be listed on standard form 120's? How much did these go for?
  • Options
    They had 75 in AU55 that sold for $599 and more in AU53 they sold for $579...They sold out of all of them or so they said.
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought all gold coins in government possesion was melted into gold bars subsequent to FDR's recall order.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    $599 is way too much
  • Options

<< <i> With so few coins, a public sale was out of the question. >>

If the GSA was actually selling them a public sale is the only legal way to sell them. That's how the GSA disposes of all surplus government property. They do not do private deals with some dealers.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Within the past few months, in an audit of the U.S. vaults, the GSA found a
    group of less then 5,000 pieces of old U.S. gold coinage. With so few
    coins, a public sale was out of the question. Can you imagine the riots it
    would cause if a public sale for less then 5,000 coins was announced? The
    GSA decided to have the coins graded and certified by Numismatic Guaranty
    Corporation (NGC) who has been dubbed with the title of the grading service of
    choice by the ANA (American Numismatic Association). NGC not only graded
    and certified these these coins but also marked these coins with a GSA pedigree
    on the label that appears within the coin encapsulation. This is great
    news for the Coin Collector, because now there is GSA gold that is
    available to match the GSA Silver Dollars. The GSA has auctioned off
    these gold pieces, and 3 or 4 major Coin Dealers within the United States are
    currently in possession of these gold pieces for their collectors. Some of
    these Dealers are prepared to sell them immediately, and some are just going to
    wait. Among the gold pieces are the Liberty Head $2 1/2, $5, $10and $20,
    as well as the Indian Head $2 1/2, $5, $10 and the $20 St. Gaudens.

The GSA Gold will be sold at at premium because they were purchased from the
    government at premium prices, so expect to pay more then you would normally.
    It seems that there are a variety of grades available from Very Fine through the
    Gem Mint States grades, and the pricing will vary accordingly. Pricing for
    the coins starts at about $500.00 (USD) to well over $3000.00 (USD) depending on
    the date, mintmark, denomination and grade of the coin. The release of the
    GSA Gold has just started to the general public through a couple of the auction
    winning Coin Dealers so don't expect to find them on eBay at this time or
    through magazine advertisements because you just will not find them. As a
    matter of fact, many Coin Dealers within the United States do not even know GSA
    gold exists. >>

I did catch the show yesterday and saw these coins. They do have the special label from NGC and are AU58. They wanted $589 per coin
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file