Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why has general stamp collecting died and how is it different from coin collecting?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The new investor likes the feel of a Trade dollar or a $20 Saint or even an old silver half dollar from 1806. But how does a stamp feel in your hand? >>

Roadrunner - Generally, I would agree with you. But why is it bank notes are suddenly all the rage?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shamika,

That same thought occurred to me as I was writing my post. But since you asked, I believe it's:

the size of the notes, they are art and very readable,
    and visually IMPRESSIVE, even to the newbies.
    you don't need magnifying glasses to see them
    they circulated and then circulated more
    they were money at the time...esp prior to 1934.
    they were backed by silver and/or gold...heck, they were
    the same as silver or gold! At least prior to 1934.
    few survived intact because of heavy use, most notes are
    far rarer than coins.
    investment potential is almost unlimited based on rarity
    (notes just aren't around, esp NBN, etc.)
    most not saved because they were too expensive to hold
    on to.
    only enough currency was printed to match the gold and silver
    available (at least up until 1913 when the FED took control)

But stamps, they are printed and printed and printed, regardless
    of demand. Sort of like the US Mint.

BUT MY ONE GRIPE:

And this applies to stamps, BB cards, and notes as well:

Why all the hoopla over the darn centering! This has always
    driven me nuts, and probably why I shyed away from all these
    areas. Imagine if a coin being nearly worthless because the denticles were slightly off on one side, or not as strong, or the rim was flat, or a cud appeared, or it was clipped, or that a mis-centered coin was worth less rather than a premium.
    Other than that, I can understand notes....but I don't own any.
    However if a neat NBN came my way I'd be tempted to buy it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard from several sources that no US stamp made after 1930 is worth more than face value, except for error/misprinted stamps.

Is there an exception?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Try postal history (covers, and NOT first day covers) instead of stamps. I started collecting stamps in 1962 for a Boy Scout merit badge. After working for a few major auction companies, I had seen at least one example of most of the rarest stamps. After you see them, the excitement is gone. They are only small bits of paper.

However, every cover I handle is different and there is always something new to learn. I recently wrote a book on the postal history of the Pony Express. Great history and drama and intellectually challenging.

Personally, graded stamps is pure insanity in my book. Stamps packaged for the investor who desires liquidity and a low "price of admission" as a substiture for knowledge. On covers, I don't care if a stamp is centered or not - as long is it remains close to the appearance of how it went through the postal system. Stamps were printed off center. A virgin stamp should by graded against appearance as "minted" like coins. This obsession with centering is purely an American concept.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Willie ... I buy complete sheets of US stamps back into the 1940's for 80% of face value and use for postage. The exceptions are rare (like $5 stamp of 1954).
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great idea for Christmas cards this year - Send them out with 30 year old stamps - and save money to boot!
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, coveres, where do you get them at 80% of face value...?
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    Part of the reason why the stamps are at a discount is because many are of such low face value (3c to 5c) that you can't fit enough on an envelope really (that plus everybody and their brother was putting away mint sheets as an investment).
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

<< <i>What a great idea for Christmas cards this year - Send them out with 30 year old stamps - and save money to boot! >>

I have gotten coins bought from various dealers where they have used 50+ year old stamps on the package.
  • Options
    Many coin dealers trade for these and then pass along to wholesalers at 95-90% of face. Just tell one of your coin guys
    you want to buy a pile of stamps. My local dealer recently did a $20,000 deal of older stamps. He flipped them to another wholesaler for around $23,000.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Here's a sample of what's happening.

Compare the CV and ending prices. After the DC show last March things have gone literally out of this world worse than what has happened to coins or currency.

Sample From Shreeves Dec. 1 Auction

Please take a look at this link and believe it. I like to shoot my mouth off saying I'm going to take David Hall out of NR. 1 spot. It isn't happening. Not now and not ever. There was no real way to catch him before and now he has updated his registry set with some remarkable issues. To put it bluntly, the majority of you along with me can no longer afford to collect stamps the way we thought would be possible or how we remember it use to be.

So Shamika, general stamp collecting hasn't died, it has just changed, much like coins...meaning $$$$. And the price boom starting back in March caught most, if not all stamp heads by surprise. Everybody, for a long time, kept saying stamps have got to come back around. Nobody had any idea what was about to happen. Four years ago I sold my icon for $90. The one I have up now I paid over $600. I bought another one from DLRC for $485. The grade I want is running a little ove $5K! Forget it. Well it was, but it's gone. Speaking of DLRC, didn't anybody follow the bouncing ball? Coins to Currency to Stamps. They missed it too but managed to hook up with Shreves. Quite a lot of coin money went to stamps, bypassing currency because of the run up there. Even these people had no idea the amount of money they were getting ready to make. Or what it was going to cost them to get in. Hey!! A very well known coin dealer stated right here on the coin forum a couple times before this past March. Something like...I need someone to teach me stamps...Maybe she knew what was going to come.

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry, I, for one, am waiting for the drop in prices on 20th century graded stuff. Coin guys who look at a census and think great, only one graded this high are going to be very disappointed in a year or so when all of a sudden there are 500 stamps with the same grade. I am speaking about the Famous Americans (which I use for postage) and the Presidentials, not stamps that are scare to rare.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    unless you have a raritie,stamps have been dead since the 70's !

anything after about 1940 is postage.

i have piles of this stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>Jerry, I, for one, am waiting for the drop in prices on 20th century graded stuff. Coin guys who look at a census and think great, only one graded this high are going to be very disappointed in a year or so when all of a sudden there are 500 stamps with the same grade. I am speaking about the Famous Americans (which I use for postage) and the Presidentials, not stamps that are scare to rare. >>

I'm checking everything that I use to use for postage. I screwed up using Famous Americans last year. Who knows what I might of stuck on an evelope.

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry and Richard,

Thank you for your valuable input. I hadn't realized such knowledgable philatelists browsed the coin forum.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I have about hundred pre 40's mint condition stamps. from 1917 onward in a senior statesman world stamp album from the 1970's. Might be worth submitting to have them graded. I really haven't priced these in years. Some of those prices are insane StampAlarm. Though I doubt they will grade as high as those. I bought some of these in the Hutlzlers Department Store in Baltimore. They had their own stamp collector's counter.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>I collected stamps in the fifties as a kid--they used to look like stamps, historical, interesting, etc. I still have my old album from those days. US Stamps today look more like the stickers that they give kids in school--the Mint is on the fast track in that same direction. >>

I agree totally. Modern commemorative collectors take note. The only big differences between the explosion of commemorative stamps and he explosion of commemorative coins are (1) the coins often have significant bullion value and (2) the stamps are real stamps while the coins are nothing more than Mint produced novelties with a denomination that is nothing more than a design element.

I also agree with the fact that people just don't use and see stamps like they used to. If we ever transition to nearly fully digital commerce, coin collecting may not endure at the same levels as it has in the recent past.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Shamika, my Buffalo buddy,

I still keep my eyes peeled for quality plate blocks for my boyhood collection. I just picked up a cool #568 Niagra Falls NH 25c plate block. Now I'm going to start working on the 1922-25 regular issues as they come along. Don't bother referring to "Cat" pricing. They're much cheaper than that.

Coins, especially Buffalos and Mercs. are still my faves.

Garrow
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    If we ever transition to nearly fully digital commerce, coin collecting may not endure at the same levels as it has in the recent past.

Not that I disagree with this statement, the US Mint is making money had over fist right now with all the new releases...it's a BOOM economy for the Treasury Dept. right now...I can still see it going strong 10 years down the road from now and they, the Mint, are already laying those bricks for us to tread on..."Follow the Yellow Brick Road!"

Everything in their power is going to be done to see to it that there will always be coins/bullion for us to admire and invest/collect.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    As stamps and coins become obsolete, the hobby could well become even more popular. Remember, they don't make Van Gogh's anymore.

Garrow
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember innocently mentioning that Coinhusker sent me the Omaha Coin Club newsletter, with stamps that were forty years old, in a thread a few months back... and you would have thought I committed a crime for even mentioning STAMPS in a coin forum image . Glad to see your thread hasn't met such admonishment, as my ONE LINE in a thread did. image

It was at that time, I threw the stamps away thinking there might come death threats next. That is why general stamp collecting died for me. It's different from coin collecting cuz they don't ring when you flip them.
  • Options

<< <i>As stamps and coins become obsolete, the hobby could well become even more popular. Remember, they don't make Van Gogh's anymore.

Garrow >>

Can't compare one-off painting masterpieces with mass-produced coins. With coins out of ordinary life, the breadth of collecting should shrink, not that I like the idea of that. Some series and colelcitng angles will have extremely thin markets like ancients and even some colonials have now.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Good point!
  • Options

<< <i> I remember innocently mentioning that Coinhusker sent me the Omaha Coin Club newsletter, with stamps that were forty years old, in a thread a few months back... and you would have thought I committed a crime for even mentioning STAMPS in a coin forum . Glad to see your thread hasn't met such admonishment, as my ONE LINE in a thread did. >>

It's all about the delivery (and the title). image

• Options

<< <i>As stamps and coins become obsolete, the hobby could well become even more popular. >>

Garrow - I actually think this would happen. However, an increase in popularity does not necessarily translate to an increase in value. People may not be willing to pay insane spreads for microscopic difference in grade as they do today.

But who really knows.

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054

<< <i>One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility that the flood of commemorative stamps overwhelmed the average collector. I know I used to collect plate blocks, but all of a sudden it seemed the post office had a new stamp coming out every other day which made plate block collecting too expensive for me (keep in mind I was a kid).

If there is merit in this suggestion, could the numerous new designs in U.S. coinage eventually kill off coin collecting? >>

Exactly that is what happened. I too USED to collect stamps. Many were valuable. Then the government made a farce of the thing with commemoratives of just about any and everything. Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, planes, boats, farming equipment and on and on and on. Every one I knew stopped collecting due to just to much junk stamps. Then the market for the slightly valuable ones fell due to this and the trend continued until the entire thing fell apart. Same with Hot Wheels, Beanie Babies, Baseball and Football cards. Organizations flood the market with the intent of making a buck now and the heck with tomorrow.
    I still remember when my son collected sports cards and then we found an outlet where he could buy 5,000 in a box for $5. So ended that hobby. I still have a substantial stamp collection from when I was a kid. Now after almost 50 yo 60 years I found out it is worth about a tank of gas for my car. Big gas tank though.
    THIS is what will happen to coin collecting soon if our government continues with the flood of miscellaneous coins. The complete flop of the Bicentennial coins should have been a hint. Soon enough people will be abandoning their state quarters for something to use in a laundromat machine.
    Just one more thing. I know of about 3 to 5 coin shows a month around here. Coin dealers at every flea market. Hobby stores that deal with coins. Antique stores, resale shops, department stores that all deal with coin collecting. Even book stores carry coin collecting books and associated items. NO ONE deals with stamps anymore around here.
    Carl
  • Options
    Curiously, one of my local dealers did both stamps and coins for years. He recently has wound down the coin side, and now only does stamps. (????).

Once the FED gets control over the US Mint and BEP (HR 5818), things will likely change with coin and stamp products. It's anyone's guess how that will go.

roadrunner
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    The main problem is the supplies are so expensive. To do it right, they are downright prohibitive. That means that young collectors (the life blood of any hobby) simply can not get involved.

So, the old collectors and dying off and there is no one to replace them.

morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    I don't have a clue what's going on with stamps when it comes to the hobby, investment, or anything.

Everytime you turn around now a new record is being broke. Stamps are not dead. If anything they
    are...well, I honestly don't know what's going on.

Jerry
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have a clue what's going on with stamps when it comes to the hobby, investment, or anything.

Everytime you turn around now a new record is being broke. Stamps are not dead. If anything they
    are...well, I honestly don't know what's going on. >>

The collecting base is getting smaller which means the vast majority of stamps will not be worth much because there are fewer people chasing them. However, for the ultra rarities where only a few exist, you only need a small number of collectors to drive values.
  • Options
    Hmm , I have been following this thread. Looks like a post was deleted!

PURPLE!
  • Options
    One way that stamp collecting can differ from coin collecting is that with stamps, one can show how they were used at the time of issuance. Thats right, stamps on original covers, termed "postal history," is a subset of stamp collecting. I'm not talking about First Day covers which are made for collector as contrivances, but rather stamps on envelope that were used when they were valid for postage.

For example, the cover here is more than just a stamp. The cover was carried by Pony Express until the trip was interrupted by an Indian attack. The cover was later recovered and delivered. Really not stamp collecting - collecting HISTORY. The cover was sold in 2004 for $425,000 (plus the tip) to Bill Gross (Pimpco Bond Fund) and I was underbidder for a client. You don't need to be a stamp collector to love postal history. Try it, you'll like it!
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

<< <i>Hmm , I have been following this thread. Looks like a post was deleted!

PURPLE! >>

Sure you're not confusing this old thread with this new thread?
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>One way that stamp collecting can differ from coin collecting is that with stamps, one can show how they were used at the time of issuance. Thats right, stamps on original covers, termed "postal history," is a subset of stamp collecting. I'm not talking about First Day covers which are made for collector as contrivances, but rather stamps on envelope that were used when they were valid for postage.

For example, the cover here is more than just a stamp. The cover was carried by Pony Express until the trip was interrupted by an Indian attack. The cover was later recovered and delivered. Really not stamp collecting - collecting HISTORY. The cover was sold in 2004 for $425,000 (plus the tip) to Bill Gross (Pimpco Bond Fund) and I was underbidder for a client. You don't need to be a stamp collector to love postal history. Try it, you'll like it! >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm , I have been following this thread. Looks like a post was deleted!

PURPLE! >>

Sure you're not confusing this old thread with this new thread? >>

HA! yep , I got mixed up
  • Options

<< <i>One way that stamp collecting can differ from coin collecting is that with stamps, one can show how they were used at the time of issuance. Thats right, stamps on original covers, termed "postal history," is a subset of stamp collecting. I'm not talking about First Day covers which are made for collector as contrivances, but rather stamps on envelope that were used when they were valid for postage.

For example, the cover here is more than just a stamp. The cover was carried by Pony Express until the trip was interrupted by an Indian attack. The cover was later recovered and delivered. Really not stamp collecting - collecting HISTORY. The cover was sold in 2004 for $425,000 (plus the tip) to Bill Gross (Pimpco Bond Fund) and I was underbidder for a client. You don't need to be a stamp collector to love postal history. Try it, you'll like it! >>

I've just recently discovered "Postal History" and love the fact this is catching on.
  • Options
    Yep, true Americana there. That is where the brightest future in these hobbies is IMO. I think collecting colonials (my back burner passion to grow in the future) among coins, as rare history in your hands, is so different than doing a barber date date and similar. That stamped cover is, likewise, great history.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.Self-adhesives.

2. Aging collector base.

3. Too many issues.

4. e-mail & text messaging.

5. No intaglio printed issues.

Coin collecting boomed somewhat later than stamp collecting, but its collector base is now getting very old. Far too many US Mint new issues. There could be trouble not far down the road.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>There could be trouble not far down the road. >>

It's worth thinking about.
  • Options
    I have yet to be able to win anything dealing with Pony Express. I always have to drop out
    because I flat out cannot afford them. Actually, as it stands now, I can't afford to even put
    together something to even enter the set registry program for stamps.

If anybody really wants to find out what's going on with stamps you have to look
    for yourself. Starting a year ago this last May, the prices being paid for stamps
    have just absolutely exploded.

SMQ

Regency

SAN

Jerry

--please do not judge what's happening with stamps by the slow activity in the PSE Stamps Forum
  • Options
    Coxe - I think Colonials can tell a historical story, as can ancients and some other specific niches. I tried to combine my passion for postal history with a study of what coins and currency were actually used by people to pay the postage in the United States. It might be of interest to you. The site is here..
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    What will be the next collecting area to catch fire?, nobody knows of course but I think advertising trade cards are an interesting
    area that deserves more attention. Advertising trade cards were issued by merchants cicra 1860s to around 1905 usually with a
    colorful scene of everyday life sometimes relating to the business and sometimes not and usually with an advertisement on the
    back. They are very interesting and colorful works of art. There are many collectable subcategories with them. Most are about
    the size of a sports card but some larger and some smaller. They would be perfect for slabbing if the field ever catches on in
    a big way. Right now they are inexpensive with most available for under $10, I've only seen a few in some more popular categories
    hit $50 or more. If interested just go a google search for some websites or check them out on Ebay. I think they are rather neat.
  • Options
    Michigan, right now I am buying old checks. Especially
    those from old breweries with Documentary stamps attached.

I think that is the next 'paper money collectible' that has never
    been on fire that will catch on. I really like the Safe Dog Paw Keys.

Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Michigan, right now I am buying old checks. Especially
    those from old breweries with Documentary stamps attached.

I think that is the next 'paper money collectible' that has never
    been on fire that will catch on. I really like the Safe Dog Paw Keys.

Jerry >>

I once had an old check from a brewery in New Mexico (of all places) that I sold on Ebay. It was dated 1915 and had a neat
    design on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file