Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice guy walks in the shop today

One of our regular "out of town" customers dropped by the shop Thursday. Very nice guy, drops in about 3-4 times a year when he comes through town on business. He has a very good eye for quality and doesn't try to buy PQ better date coins on the cheap. He picked out some nice toned Morgan dollars and a couple of key date coins. He's one of those great customers that you really enjoy dealing with.

He asks if we're still working with the Boy Scouts (I'm an Eagle Project Coordinator, Scout Committee Chair and District Committee member and my wife is a professional Scouter responsible for Scouting in all of Southern Utah and parts of South East Nevada). I told him we were still quite active in Scouts and how at the Scout Expo every year we hand out zip lock baggies with about 50 Wheat Cents in them to all the Scouts. We also give away all the old "Penny" albums that we acquire through out the year. All in the hopes of developing new collectors.

He then told me he had almost 100 lbs of Wheat cents (he weighed them), and that if we wanted them to give to the Scouts, he would make a special trip down and GIVE them to us to give away. Now that is a COOL customer!

Comments

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    What an outstanding citizen!

As well, to you and your wife--a strong voicing of praise for your activism in Scouting.

Happy Collecting!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Great story! As an eagle scout I would like to thank you and your wife for your support of scouting. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

WOW, that's right at 14600 pennies, or enough bags for 292 Scouts.

image to both of you!!!!!!!!!!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding contribution... be sure he hears of the praise and thanks from this board. As an Eagle Scout myself (lo these many years), I believe the entire scouting program is a fantastic way to develop good citizens, and fine honorable young men. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Make sure you search them good first, before letting the scouts have a go at em.image

Ray
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a noble collector! Glad to hear you're still working with the Scouts and that they are alive and well. I'm also an Eagle Scout and found it to be a great experience, though also from many years ago. Keep up the good work image
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Eagle Here Too... I serve the Indian Waters Council in South Carolina as an Assistant District Commisioner, the Friends of Scouting Chairman for my area, Cub Scout Day Camp Director and Cuboree Chairman as well as you might guess a seat on the District and Council Committee.

And for the topper: Den Leader/Assitant and Rising Pack Leader; Quality Unit, 100% Boys Life!

All of that on top of two real jobs - One full time one part time.

There aint many moments for rest, that will come later. We had a National Court of Honor this past week at our pack meeting for a fella that is a Wolf scout who saved his sister from drowning last summer. He received a medal for heroism. It makes you feel good to know you are making a positive difference in the boys life. I would love to be a professional scouter your Wife is lucky.

www.troop411.org

Dan Watson
    WWW=221
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

lathmach wrote:

> "Make sure you search them good first, before letting the scouts have a go at em."
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, like they haven't been searched to death
    already!!

Giving baggies of wheat cents and a Whitman
    fold out to these kids is a great idea. This is
    what started me on my lifetime love of old coins.

My grandmother had an old doctor's bag she had
    thrown change in for years, and when I was a
    kid she would let me go through it and fill the
    slots in my holders.

It was mostly wheat cents, of course, and
    some dimes. I don't remember a lot of nickels,
    and I guess they spent the larger denominations.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    That is way cool

I used to be a beaver and a good old beaver too!!!
    C-08-02

Yes I'm also a Scouter

Venturing is my game
    Advisor-Crew 80-Germantown Wi.
    Venturing Leadership Award recipient-Potawatomi Area Council
    Venturing RoundTable Commissioner
    Venturing Powderhorn was awesome

OA
    Ordeal
    Wag-O-Shag Lodge 280

Boy Scouts
    1973 Jamboree
    Region 7 Canoe Base
    Life Scout
    Asst. Scoutmaster Troop 321 Menomonee Falls WI.

District Committee

Will trade current OA flaps one for one-P.M. me

Yours in Scouting
    Advisor Jim

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I tip my hat to all 3 of you.

My son is a first Weblos. I donated a small collection to each child in his den to get them their "collectors" achievement.

I never saw such happy faces as those boys had when they wen through those bags of coins!
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    As a native Utahan, I'm proud of you both!
  • Options

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    You maybe here (Bottom left hand corner of the state) but in my book you areimageworld class!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Pretty good fellow to get younger people involved......hopefully by then they will be buying my retirment coins....lol
    The sweet smell of morgans
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    imageimage God bless you both
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to know there are still quality people in this hobby.

We read about the ebay scammers too much these days.

This kind of story is what numismatics is all about.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file