Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the date and grade on Oscar's silver dollar (really a semi-OT gratuitous cat pic post)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
Meet Oscar. I found him and his sister, soaking wet, down at the boat ramp in the middle of a rainstorm, about two months ago. My dad adopted his black and white sister, who got named "Doo Dah", so Oscar should be called "Zippety", I suppose. The name fits, now, though when I found him he was malnourished and barely hanging on to life. He almost didn't make it. Couldn't even hold his head up the first day or two.

This picture was taken after he recovered a bit, but before he grew into those big ol' ears. He's half grown now, with huge feet. I can tell he's gonna be a big ol' tomcat. No more runt! We also call him "Bigfoot" and "Sasquatch". Which sorta fits, 'cause he's a holy terror now, half the time. (50% halo, 50% horns). He's now a neut, so that should slow 'im down a little. Sheesh. In the time between my snapping these pictures and my uploading them, this cat has doubled in size.

Extra credit question, so I don't get flamed for an OT post: guess the date and grade of Oscar's silver dollar. It has sort of orange peripheral toning on the obverse, that matches him well. The first to guess the date and grade correctly will win one of Oscar's very own furballs (but you must pay the shipping).

He's not always a holy terror.

[NAUSEATINGLY SACCHARINE VOICE] Aaaww, how cuuuute! [/NAUSEATINGLY SACCHARINE VOICE]

Even cuter. Victoria and Oscar. Betcha can't top that- this would grade a 69 or 70 on the Cuteness Scale.

Maisy likes coins, too. Buffalo nickels, apparently.

Aww, how cute. Again.

I'm sure you've had entirely enough cuteness for now, so I'll stop.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • 1884-CC MS64
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Nice coin. I'd bet my life that you would part with that coin before you would Oscar.
    I like my coins; I love my pets. jws
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1884-CC MS64 >>

SilverEagles92: you're 2/3 right. (I wish you were 100% right!) You're 2/3 of the way to winning that special hairball!

<< <i>Nice coin. I'd bet my life that you would part with that coin before you would Oscar. I like my coins; I love my pets. jws >>

Julio: you're 100% right. We're rather fond of our critters here, too. Shoot, we spent about as much on Oscar's first vet visit as that coin is worth.

Well, speak of the devil... guess who just showed up at my feet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    << I'd bet my life that you would part with that coin before you would Oscar. >>

Julio: you're 100% right. We're rather fond of our critters here, too. Shoot, we spent about as much on Oscar's first vet visit as that coin is worth.

Shoot, just tells me you got ya priorities in order. Take Care, jws
    Okay. SE92 got the answer 2/3 right. But I ain't saying which 2/3 of the answer were correct. It should be easy enough to guess, now.

• 84s in 64
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Besides collecting coins I am a Humane Society volunteer--God Bless all animal rescuers! Even though I'm mainly a dog guy I like cats--and truth be told--there are so many cats that need a home.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
    DWT, you also got it 2/3 right. Now the cat's outta the bag (pun intended), so the next guesser should get it. image

BTW, image

• I'll let someone else guess then. I cheated anyway...my first guess was 86s before reading the replies.
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
    Oh, go ahead. There's not a lot of competition for the prize. Apparently folks don't wanna win a cat furball. Strange. image

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Adorable! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We love our cats too. Does Oscar think he runs the house? Both our previous and our current orange male cats think they run the house. Must be a Garfield thing.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

1884-O MS64, since nobody guessed it.

You'd think smoebody would wanna win a nice furball. But nooo...

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    My girl & stepson drug home 2 stray kittens 6 months ago. A tom and a female. Of course they multiplied. now I got 7 cats and they are fixing to multiply again. Soon I'll have 40 cats. Anybody need any free cats?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file