Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Official SF Mint Gold Commemorative Thread

THEY'RE SHIPPING! So, like similar threads, I thought this would be a great 1 STOP RESOURCE to discuss
pricing of these coins, the market for these, damage, quality, concerns, returns, refunds, joys, praises,
grades, etc... And of course....PICS! SO LET'S HAVE YOUR PICS & FEEDBACK!

My Proof shipped 10/20! My Uncirc shows backordered until 12/15!
Will update with feedback as they arrive.

Good investment? Bad investment? Sleeper? Keeper?
Short term? Long Term?

BRING IT ON!

Comments

• Options
    I sent my proof back last week because it had 3 major hits in the reverse fields.My unc.was shipped on 10-19 so i should be getting that any day now.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    What would be considered a "Major Hit"? I looked very carefully at both of mine yesterday and they had 1 or 2 small dings in them when looking under 15x magnification. There is no other damage as they arrived intact in their cases. What will a couple of small dings to do the grade if sent to NGC?

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    NGC: Nothing

PCGS: Probably cost you a grade or two.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    KEEPERS!
    If you can get a good one.
    My proof was out of its capsule.
    Looks unharmed though.
    Due to get my uncs today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With so many coins being sent back, who gets these...unsuspecting collectors who don't care? Do the dregs get melted down to produce more? How would the final mintage be tallied?
    I bought just one gold unc and a silver proof that will be in the Legacy set.
  • Options
    EBAY MARKET WATCH! Looks like sellers are barely getting back what they paid for them.

Here's a few interesting auctions to watch!
    SF Gold Commem PCGS PR70

SF Gold Commem PCGS PR69

SF Gold Commem PCGS PR70 - Ends Today!

A PR69 GOLD SF COMMEM selling for less than a PR69 Reverse Proof SAE? image
  • Options
    Well, just to update things- my Unc. arrived today and yes...it was out of the capsule and rattling around the box. It's going back for a refund and I'm not asking for a replacement. I'll wait for the next Gold commem. that I like. Which is too bad because this one was a partial nod to history by parroting the reverse of the older US Gold coins, and that's why I ordered one. I'll live without it though...image

The Mint should be ashamed of itself for this fiasco....image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options

<< <i>Here's a few interesting auctions to watch! >>

Final hammer price of $565...That seems pretty darn low to me!
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, just to update things- my Unc. arrived today and yes...it was out of the capsule and rattling around the box. It's going back for a refund and I'm not asking for a replacement. I'll wait for the next Gold commem. that I like. Which is too bad because this one was a partial nod to history by parroting the reverse of the older US Gold coins, and that's why I ordered one. I'll live without it though...image

The Mint should be ashamed of itself for this fiasco....image >>

That is exactly what I did with both of my UNC's. I toyed with the idea of asking for replacements (because this coin could be a big winner in the long run because of the problems, returns, and low mintages) BUT I am so bugged about the condition of my coins (not only loose but full of little nicks) that I am passing on it and just getting my money back.

BTW the rep I spoke to at the Mint said if you mail in your receipt for the return shipping costs they will reimburse you for that as well. You may want to call and confirm that but if they're willing so am I.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a few interesting auctions to watch! >>

Final hammer price of $565...That seems pretty darn low to me! >>

That could turn out to be a bargain in the long run.

Could this issue be a future sleeper or just comatose?
  • Options
    Hello All,

I am somewhat new to the coin-collecting world (actually about a month or so new). The reason for this started off as a common ground between my father in law and myself but after plunging in I found (what I have read so far which I am sure is very very little) some of the history of the coins and the different designs fascinating. Long story shortened, my father in law mentioned that he liked the new SF Mint gold coin in passing, which I ordered as a present. I received it today and am a bit worried about all the talk of returning some of these coins. I saw him yesterday and he said he had heard that people were having problems with them. I found this site after a web search and low and behold I see that people have had issues. Again, I am fresh of the boat so to speak in this area and if it is not too much trouble could someone try and explain what these problems are...I have heard spots and nicks mentioned but again I am a bit lost. I apologize in advance if I was not to post this message here or have misused the site.

Thank you
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    Welcome to the board.

The plastic capsules of a lot of these coins apparantly were not closed very tightly and thus came loose in shipping. On mine the top came off and bounced around in the presentation box all the way from Memphis, so to speak. It put some small nicks and scratches in the obverse that were quite noticible under magnification, but barly noticible with the naked eye. On some peoples, the whole coin came out and bounce all around in the case during shipping and nicked, dented, and scratched both sides. Since this is a proof coin, it needs to be as perfect as possible to have good value. Check it out VERY closely with a magnifying glass or jeweler's lupe. I returned mine for a replacement.
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice/help. When the one I ordered came it was still in the plastic holder and shut so I dont think this one has the issue you are talking about. I did look at it under a lens and I don't see any problems so hopefully this will be an acceptable coin.

Thanks again!

"The Villain"

• Options
    I got my 2nd Proof Gold commem today and it was safe & sound (unlike my previous).
    It looks every bit PR70.
    Will find out soon!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Proof, which is my usual purchase. I've seen the Uncirculated piece, and this might be one instance where the Uncirculated looks nicer. It might have something to do with the fact that I used to seeing the reverse in Mint State. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I wonder if the mint finally got the message after so many people returned their coins.

It would be great to find that the rest of these are being shipped safely!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    radiomanradioman Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    received my UNC today, the coin was stillin the capsul and looks to be a MS69?
  • Options
    The Mint has finally replaced the artist drawings with
    actual photos of the Gold SF Commem on their website!

CHECK IT OUT!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Just curious as to the shipping method of those who received loose coins? Mine are currently in transit but because I have a P.O. Box they are packaged a little different (I hope). I heard that the mint ships gold Fed-Ex to homes which to me would mean a different box and packing.
  • Options
    Mine was sealed OK but I got mine shipped reg shipping...which I think I might have to change in the future ... I was a little amazed when I got home and the package was sitting on the front porch. I am new and all but I would have thought they would have wanted a signature for a $230 coin...guess not.

"The Villain"

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine today and I could tell it was loose before I even opened the shipping box, you could hear it.

Fortunately the coin looks okay and I will be keeping it.

This is my first gold coin and I love it!
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Well, with the mint still selling them, these aren't selling on ebay. In fact a pair of proofs sold well beneath cost...

What a strange thing to do...buy the coins, pay the listing fee on ebay, and sell beneath cost- when you could send the coins back to the mint for a full reimbursement. I wonder if the buyer gets taken--
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    I received my unc. monday. After inspection, it appears the obverse has shiny spots peppered throughout. The reverse looks fine, but i will more than likely keep it.
  • Options
    I have a feeling this will be a sleeper with all of the other hoopla going around. It seems that many will be returned, many will be graded MS/PR68 and when the masses realize what a beautiful coin this is it will no longer be available from the mint.

I received shipping confirmation last week and can't wait.
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my S.F. Gold Granite Lady on Monday. The reverse Eagle on the coin is truly a work of art IMO.

• Options
    WOW! Nice pics!

<< <i>The reverse Eagle on the coin is truly a work of art IMO. >>

....I was thinking the same thing! The Reverse on these coins are quite artistic!
    Love the detail! Still waiting for my proof and uncirc due in December or when
    they decide to ship them. Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I received my S.F. Gold Granite Lady on Monday. The reverse Eagle on the coin is truly a work of art IMO.
    >>

Excellent Pics. What are all of those white dots on the coin? Hopefully just dust. If that is how it came I may have to do a quick dip before they go off for grading.
  • Options
    The Numismatic News posted the mint's sales figures for the SF coins. Relative to other recent issues, sales appear quite high already. Proofs 38,511, MS 16,138.

The proof already exceeds the last several issues with the exception of the '99 Washington 41,693 (IMO, the modern's most beautiful coin) and the '96 Cauldron/Olympic at 38,555.

The MS at 16,138 sold already exceeds most of the issues minted over the past 10 years with the exception of the Washington at 22,511, and the '96 Smithsonian at 21,840. You have to go back to the '94 World Cup at 22,464.

Neither appears to be low mintage issue by any count.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    I got 8 gold proofs today. All but three look horrible. There are nicks dings, swirly scratches etc.. all over them.

The three that are OK have some minor dots and haze. These might be recoverable the others must go back and based on this thread, playing the percentages is not worth getting replacements. Refund it is.

We shall see how the MS versions do when the arrive in the next day or two.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I got my gold proof today, nice looking coin.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    I got my unc gold Friday. USPS Registered. Thought it would never get here. Looks MS69 to me. Off to PCGS with my proofs.
  • Options
    The PCGS Pop report was updated yesterday.

UNCIRCULATED:
    MS69-97
    MS70-18

PROOF:
    PR69-517
    PR70-45

I've seen about 6 or 7 of the MS70 Uncirc's sell on Ebay beween $600-$800!
    Right now there are only 1 or 2 listings for PCGS MS70 Uncircs.

(not including NGC)
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The PCGS Pop report was updated yesterday.

UNCIRCULATED:
    MS69-97
    MS70-18

PROOF:
    PR69-517
    PR70-45

I've seen about 6 or 7 of the MS70 Uncirc's sell on Ebay beween $600-$800!
    Right now there are only 1 or 2 listings for PCGS MS70 Uncircs.

(not including NGC) >>

Yep, if your lucky you get the pay day.

Mine were out of the capsules and were NOT 69's let alone 70's. (not lucky).

They went back for replacement, maybe the second time will be a charm.

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    what are the size of these coins? size of a dime i am guessing?
  • Options

<< <i>what are the size of these coins? size of a dime i am guessing? >>

Seems like a little bigger than a dime and a little smaller than a nickel.
  • Options
    Sent on proof back to the Mint last week and the one that arrived today is also going back.image
  • Options
    Just picked up my Proof at the Post Office! It was supposed to ship FedEX!
    The coin was out of the capsule and has tiny nicks and swirls!
    SENDING BACK FOR REFUND!

This is a really nice Commem! I can't believe the Mint!
    This is the worst case of negligence I've
    ever experienced by them!

* Repetetive Post! Just making sure I cover all
    important SF Threads related to this issue!
  • Options
    eBay Prices for the SF Gold graded by PCGS:

DCAM 69: Avg. $242.77 though declining slightly recently
    DCAM 70: Avg $603.17 (only 5 sold so far) last $463.50

MS69: $250.17 and declining considerably last sold all <$230.
    MS70: $609.45 (only 6 sold) last @ $511.00

The NGC prices in 69 are well below the mint offering price, 70s only about $100-$120 above raw.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    From N/News:

Kagin requests SF sales extension
    “I’ve asked for an extension,” said Don Kagin Nov. 8 in discussing the Dec. 1 order deadline imposed by the Mint on the San Francisco Old Mint commemorative coin program.

The surcharges from sale of the coins, which first went on sale in August, will help fund the renovation of the San Francisco Old Mint, nicknamed the Granite Lady.

Kagin has worked for years to make the renovated building a reality because it will also house a Gold Rush numismatic museum.

“Our goal is primarily that we want the coin to sell out to get as much proceeds as surcharges as possible,” said Erik Christoffersen, executive director of the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>DCAM 69: Avg. $242.77 though declining slightly recently >>

<< <i>MS69: $250.17 and declining considerably last sold all <$230. >>

Recently, I wonder why these PCGS slabbed 69 going for less than offerred at Mint.

SNMAN
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    It's pretty amazing that people would order these, spent the time to have them slabbed and then sell the 69s off at a breakeven. Seems like a waste of time.

What's worse is those that are NGC graded are going for around $200 in 69. Why not crack 'em out and send them back.

I think it's indicative of how determined people are to get a 70. Seems silly to me.

Happy Collecting!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file