Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should adjustment marks affect grade?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually early Morgans planchets were hand adjusted and many of all dates show draw marks from where the strip was pulled thru a draw bench for proper planchet thickness & weight and leaves marks similiar to adjustment marks. >>

Hmmm... I also didn't know that.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Conder found an old Mint document recently that stated that planchets were adjusted into the early 1900's. Some say that 1840 is the cut-off date. In reality, the vast majority of adjustment marks that I have seen are on early silver coinage prior to 1808, specifically flowing hair and draped bust issues. After this time, planchets were adjusted on the edge of the coin and the adjustments were obliterated with the strike.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< << Anything that detracts from the eye-appeal of a coin should be considered as a negative. >>

adjustments marks ADD to a coin's eye-appeal imo, because they are the way the coin was MEANT to look, according to the wonderful follies & frailties of the early mint. to say that they are negative to eye-appeal is just like saying the wood grain of a piece of furniture is ugly. it's an integral part of the coin.

K S >>

It means the coin was struck from an inferior planchet. The wood grain comparison is bogus since coins aren't wood and shouldn't have a grain. >>

no it does'nt. inferior planchets were melted down. it means the weight required "adjustment" , NOTHING MORE.

& getting the correct weight was a requirement of the coining process. anything that was REQUIRED by the minting process is 100% acceptable in my book.

<< <i>Karl,

Actually, I suspect the die engravers cringed when they saw their coins made from planchets with adjustment marks. In other words, I suspect not everyone at the mint wanted the coins to look that way (with adjustment marks).

However, as you mention the "wonderful follies and frailties of the early mint", I agree that adjustment marks add to the charm of these pieces of early Americana. >>

i do not agree w/ the "cringing" on the part of the engravers. beyond the point of carving up the dies, they became simple consumers, just like everyone else, & would of EXPECTED some coins to have adjustment marks.

the fact is when a coin has adjustment marks, you have a coin that has MORE into it then 1 struck on a allegedly "perfect" planchet.

it begs the question of whether "silver plugs" add or detract as well. based on the prices, it's pretty obvious that silver plugs - really just another "planchet adjustment", ADD to the appeal of a coin.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file