Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show us your Circulation Cameos! (CircCam)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2019 2:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum
During a recent discussion of TomB's 1803 Draped Bust half, I coined a new numismatic phrase (I think): "circulation cameo".

This refers to a coin with darker-toned fields and light devices, like a cameo effect, but unlike a cameo proof, the circulation cameo achieved this cameo effect through wear on its high points. I have seen a number of Draped Bust silver coins with this look, and I like it. Even a silver coin that is so darkly toned it's almost black can be pleasing if the portrait and devices are a lighter color- the contrast of light and dark is pleasing to the eye.

OK, so maybe you don't like my new term, but such coins needed a short descriptor of some sort.

One example I can think of is a Draped Bust half I used to own on my Holey Coin Vest, which I later sold to Cladiator and which later achieved fame as the 1806 O-129 discovery coin. It's definitely an example of a "circulation cameo", though not as pronounced as one I currently own (and have no picture of yet).

*2019 edit to fix the pictures below, since the old 2006 images had died. Original text above unedited. In fact, most of the pictures in the earlier posts of this old thread have gone blooey, but if you read the more recent stuff towards the end, there will be more to see. Sadly, that linked article about the 1806 O-129 discovery has since vanished from the Internet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I think this counts and I like the look as well, although I'm going to wear out this picture posting it image

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the new term LordM. I've struggled with trying to describe this look on several occasions and it always ends up being too wordy. Circulation Cameo....has a good ring to it. I'll post one or two tonight when I'm home.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
  • Its not mine, but I think it fits the catagory:

• richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Its not mine, but I think it fits the catagory:

image >>

I think I have another that I will post later. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ziggy- I love that dime!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once put together a complete set of Barber Dimes with that black & white "circulation cameo" look, I think a well-matched and well-circulated set of any Barber coinage is very attractive. The only image I have readily available is this 1905-micro O:

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    Excellent example of the "circulation cameo" effect! image

It really looks good on Barber coins.

OK, my scanner wasn't working so I got out my camera to shoot the Draped half I mentioned. To my surprise, I actually got a better picture than I would have with the scanner, which is rare for me. (Of course I had to scale it down some.) Despite using nothing but natural sunlight and having some shadows, I think it turned out OK.

I think you can see that both sides of this coin, but particularly the reverse, are show good "circulation cameo" contrast.

PS- if this 1806 half happens to be a previously unknown Overton variety, somebody let me know in advance, OK? I'll share the wealth. image

I studied it for about ten minutes using the book (which Cladiator bought me so I'll never let another discovery coin slip through my fingers), but using Overton is still a little like Chinese algebra for me, with all the abbreviations and stuff.

This isn't quite as good an example of a circulation cameo (heavy on the circulation, light on the cameo), but it's got some. If somebody were to polish this coin and remove the dark/light contrast, you'd barely be able to see any of the design, and think of how ugly it would be.

Right now it's got... character.

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    for ALL of the above

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

as new and re-entering collectors and collecting starts to mature and move backwards in their collecting pursuits these early reminders of our coinage will only grow stronger in desire and demand among EVERYONE!!

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    image I like this thread.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
    I predict "circulation cameos" will be all the rage now that there's a term to describe them, and dishonest folks on eBay will spray-paint coins black and then buff the paint off the high points.

Then you'll have to watch out for artificial circulation cameos. Beware of ACC! image

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i like!!!!

oh my

my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my
    Ziggy's 1845-O dime is my favorite in this thread so far, even though it's not a strong circulation cameo. It just "speaks to me", somehow.

• Do you have to use 3-D glasses to identify this type of cameo?
    Is a wannabe coin collector worse than a wannabe kayaker? If so, I'm in double trouble.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ziggy's 1845-O dime is my favorite in this thread so far, even though it's not a strong circulation cameo. It just "speaks to me", somehow. >>

It's actually a bit more "cameo" in hand, particularly since this image understates the contrast.

This is a very tough date to find in problem-free VF (and darned near impossible in EF), so I was thrilled to snag this nice VF last year for my Seated Dime set. I was amazed to get it under the values listed in the price sheets.
    Look how much nicer the reverse of this arrows & rays [Edit: quarter] looks with a little strategic circulation wear.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • What about the Artificial Circulation Cameo©? The ACC. You know, the coin bought black and the devices rubbed until they are light?

Great! Something else to worry about when CC's catch on with collectors. image

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
    Wow, Sean, that's a cool clip on that '53 quarter. I thought it was damaged at first glance.

kmuhles- cool avatar! I would go kayaking, too, if I could paddle through a sea of giant Standing Liberty quarters like that!

<< <i>Wow, Sean, that's a cool clip on that '53 quarter. I thought it was damaged at first glance. >>

It's much more convincing in the hand than in the scan. I have an 1862 seated quarter clip on the way which also qualifies for this thread, I'm about bouncing out of my chair waiting for it to arrive.

Sean Reynolds

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Best I can do...
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Circulated Cameo look of Morgans in VG-VF. Here's one of my personal favorites:

When in doubt, don't.
  • Not the best pic, but the best I have available. One of my absolute favorite coins.

David
  • While I like the "CC" term, it's more likely the phrase devices "framed" by darker tone....or whatever

will continue to be favored at least in auction catelogues. They'll worry that people think you mean impaired

Cameo Proofs.

Something I doubt the neat coins in your excellant collection will be mistaken!image
    morgannut2
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
    Ahh, some excellent examples. I never realized how much I prefer CC coins until now. (Circulation Cameos, that is, though I like Carson City coins, too.)

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few that I think qualify on at least one side.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wha, something like this

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    As close to a cameo look I have in a circulated coin...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Baley I think you may have a C-DCAM

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Here's a half cent I have that might qualify as a circulation cameo:

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...perhaps???

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Tyler Child's Barber Half set is entirely CC. His halves are gorgeous and sell for premiums above non CC halves. I believe Mike's 07-P VF30 might be an ex-Tyler Child piece.

Can someone help me post a link to his Registry set?
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • MFH that is a beautiful Barber half...man would I love to have that one!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

<< <i>...perhaps??? >>

Leo: definitely! image

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tyler Child's Barber Half set is entirely CC. His halves are gorgeous and sell for premiums above non CC halves. I believe Mike's 07-P VF30 might be an ex-Tyler Child piece.

Can someone help me post a link to his Registry set? >>

Craig,

That 1907-P in VF 30 came from Gil Aguiar out of an Ebay auction. A certain young Virginia doctor was most upset with me that I out sniped his snipe at the last few seconds of that auction ..... image

I wish I also had the capabilities of attaching a link to this Forum, heck, I'm just pleased I am able to finally attach images.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Now that I have 60 of the 73 Barber Halves in my grade, I think I might treat myself and start getting them Tru-Viewed. I have a few Tyler Child's in there I would love to share but just don't have the photographic skills/equipment/time to do so. I'm sending in a submision with crossovers and a Presidential Review and hope to get another 5 or 6 XF45's I need.

Does anyone know if PCGS accepts coins at shows for Tru-View only? I don't want fast service and fully expect them to take the coins back to California. It would just be a bit easier to take them to a show and drop them off then it would be to ship them.

Anyone going to Baltimore in November?
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    This is as close as I can get ...

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

here's one of mine
    "From Time to Time the Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed with the Blood of Patriots and of Tyrants"

--Thomas Jefferson
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    imageimage
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
    Keep 'em comin'... let's see some more of your silhouetted Liberties and eagles and so on! image

• prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file