Home Sports Talk
Options

guess A rod isn't too popular with his teammates, either..

Comments

• Options
    After being told details of the story last night, Giambi seemed to backtrack from what he is quoted as saying. Verducci describes a scene after the Yankees 13-5 win at Fenway on Aug. 19. Giambi was mad that Rodriguez left four runners on base in the first three innings against Josh Beckett.

In the story, Giambi is quoted telling Rodriguez, "We're all rooting for you and we're behind you 100 percent, but you've got to get the big hit."

Rodriguez, according to Giambi's SI quotes, responded, "What do you mean? I've had five hits in Boston."

Hahahaha.. he sounds just like some of those (mostly non-yankee fans) that defend him to the death- "I've had 5 hits in Boston...waaahhh..."

then the truth comes out -

Giambi retorted, "You [freaking] call those hits? You had two [freaking] dinkers to rightfield and a ball that bounced over the third baseman. Look at how many pitches you missed.

"When you hit three, four or five [in the order], you have to get the big hits, especially if they're going to walk Bobby [Abreu] and me. I'll help you out until you get going. I'll look to drive in runs when they pitch around me, go after that 3-and-1 pitch that might be a ball. But if they're going to walk Bobby and me, you're going to have to be the guy."

• Options

the full story from SI.... some good reading if you have a second...

full story
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what infighting the Yankees have doesn't seem to matter when it comes to the W-L record.

Which is, of course, too bad.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Someone juicing up like Giambi has no business telling other people how to play the game.
  • Options

<< <i>For all the scorn heaped upon Giambi for his ties to the BALCO steroid scandal, he is a strong clubhouse voice because he plays with a passion that stirs teammates and even opponents. This season, for instance, he reprimanded his former Oakland A's teammate, Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, for occasionally showing up late to games out of frustration over another losing Baltimore season. "You're better than that," he told Tejada. So Giambi's gripe about Rodriguez sounded an alarm with Torre. >>

Yeah, Giambi is still juicing up...lol
  • Options
    They should have put hyperdermic needles on the seats of the players testifying. Those who said "ouch" you are free and clear. Those that said "oh crap we have a game today" are BUSTED!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    First, it's the post, which is a tabloid rag at best. Second, where does Giambi, a guy who cheated his way to a $100 million payday, get off telling anyone what to or not to do?

Finally, how pathetic is it that dopes like jib want to back a cheater like Giambi, and frown on a truly good guy like Arod? Shows you just how skewed 'values' are to NY fans.
  • Options

<< <i>First, it's the post, which is a tabloid rag at best. Second, where does Giambi, a guy who cheated his way to a $100 million payday, get off telling anyone what to or not to do? >>

I guess you didn't see that was from SI - just saw the title, instantly got your back up to defend your man crush a rod, and started with your usual hero worship. Yeah, he's a rod's a great guy. Read the whole article.

jason giambi has more heart in his little finger than a rod has in his whole body, juicer or not.. keep talkiing about steroids - what, did they hurt the integrity of the game, like your boy pete rose?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>First, it's the post, which is a tabloid rag at best. Second, where does Giambi, a guy who cheated his way to a $100 million payday, get off telling anyone what to or not to do? >>

I guess you didn't see that was from SI - just saw the title, instantly got your back up to defend your man crush a rod, and started with your usual hero worship. Yeah, he's a rod's a great guy. Read the whole article.

>>

I read the article, and read it was SI quotes probably taken out of context by the post. I see you are more willing to back juice boy giambi than a hardworking guy like Arod - that's your choice, but it speaks volumes about your values.

<< <i>jason giambi has more heart in his little finger than a rod has in his whole body, juicer or not.. keep talkiing about steroids - what, did they hurt the integrity of the game, like your boy pete rose? >>

We aren't talking about heart, we're talking about which of these 2 you'd want your kids to emulate. And why are you trying to go off topic with Rose? Stay on target, son.
  • Options
    I am by no means an ARod fan, but this stinks of sensationalism based largely on hearsay, and very little on fact.

I'm to understand that Rodriguez is "weird" simply based on the fact that he was wearing a suit and tie at 1:00 AM? Is it too much of a stretch to suggest that maybe he had just returned to his hotel room after a night on the town? Sorry, but I don't buy it.
  • Options

<< <i>I read the article, and read it was SI quotes probably taken out of context by the post. I see you are more willing to back juice boy giambi than a hardworking guy like Arod - that's your choice, but it speaks volumes about your values >>

You like to bring up how hard a rod works, but his own coaches say he was unwilling to address swing issues earlier this year... he's hardworking because he like to hit 22 of 40 hrs in the cage? I guess... JG tried to take the easy way out, but if you don't think he's had to work 10x as hard over the last 2-3 years to make up for that shortcut, you haven't been watching...

More of a role model than Giambi? because he never used steroids? some people will never get over that... I wouldn't want my kids emulating a rod either though - I've never seen someone so willing to bring up other players faults and contracts when the going (and the questions from reporters) gets tough...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You guys just hate E-Rod because (in his own words):

"I'm good-looking, I'm biracial, [and] I make the most money.."

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>You guys just hate E-Rod because (in his own words):

image >>

Why do YOU hate him, stownie?
  • Options
    "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me."

Stuart Smalley and his friend Michael Jordan

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stuck up for Arod in the past and I still think he's an extraordinary player, but it's hard to defend a guy when he says that one of his teammates makes a "boatload" of money also (meaning Mussina) and that he is never criticized so it must be because he's bi-racial and good looking. I mean, that quote from his is just ludicrous. What does his "looks" have anything to do with his production as a player. If Arod weren't so full of himself all the time, maybe he'd be more popular in the clubhouse. We'll see what he does in October. If he comes through in the clutch, all sins will be forgiven, but his track record this year at least has been very poor.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Among the biting SI quotes, Jason Giambi says, "Alex doesn't know who he is. We're going to find out who he is in the next couple of months." >>

Well, we know who Giambi is right now.

He's a cheater, a steroid user, and a liar. It's amazing that anyone cares what Giambi thinks about anything.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I've stuck up for Arod in the past and I still think he's an extraordinary player, but it's hard to defend a guy when he says that one of his teammates makes a "boatload" of money also (meaning Mussina) and that he is never criticized so it must be because he's bi-racial and good looking. I mean, that quote from his is just ludicrous. What does his "looks" have anything to do with his production as a player. If Arod weren't so full of himself all the time, maybe he'd be more popular in the clubhouse. We'll see what he does in October. If he comes through in the clutch, all sins will be forgiven, but his track record this year at least has been very poor. >>

As usual, the Arod haters have it all wrong.

He was asking, hypothetically, why people have it out for him. He asked if it was because he was 'biracial'? Is it because he plays on the most popular team? Because he's attractive? Because he's the highest paid player?

If I was in his shoes, I'd ask the same questions. Why DO people have it out for him? People typically are jealous of those who are more successful, so of course juiced up clowns like giambi are going to come after him.

Hopefully the yankees trade him soon so he can to a team where he'll be appreciated for the great player he is, instead of being constantly attacked by the lesser mortals who surround him.
  • Options
    La La La La.....someone is in as much denial as Arod......image
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Sounds like someone prefers self-admitted juicers over straight arrow, greatest-of-all-time players.
  • Options
    Sounds like someone prefers self-admitted juicers over straight arrow, greatest-of-all-time players.

Oh please. Arod has failed repeatedly in the clutch this year and in light of his recent comments deserves all the criticism he gets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like someone prefers self-admitted juicers over straight arrow, greatest-of-all-time players. >>

Sounds like someone hasnt read the 142 posts I have clearly stated I hate Giambi and want him gone.

DOPE
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i> Sounds like someone prefers self-admitted juicers over straight arrow, greatest-of-all-time players.

Oh please. Arod has failed repeatedly in the clutch this year and in light of his recent comments deserves all the criticism he gets. >>

Wait a minute.

You said over in the Rose thread that he deserved being banished from baseball for life. Where's your outrage for ny yankee giambi? He cheated. His cheating DIRECTLY affected the outcome of countless games, yet where's your cry for his banishment from baseball?

One more thing: would you rather have your kid emulate Arod or giambi?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds like someone prefers self-admitted juicers over straight arrow, greatest-of-all-time players. >>

Sounds like someone hasnt read the 142 posts I have clearly stated I hate Giambi and want him gone.

DOPE >>

Well when you climb on the bandwagon about this article, you're clearly taking sides with the juicer.

DOPE.

And stown, you didn't quote Arod accurately (what else should we expect from a classless troll like you?)

• Options
    You said over in the Rose thread that he deserved being banished from baseball for life.

I never said that you clown. I only said that it's understandable why MLB hasn't reinstated Rose in light of all his screwups and his stubborness. I guess reading comprehension wasn't one of your better subjects in school, huh?

• Options

<< <i>You said over in the Rose thread that he deserved being banished from baseball for life.

I never said that you clown. I only said that it's understandable why MLB hasn't reinstated Rose in light of all his screwups and his stubborness. I guess reading comprehension wasn't one of your better subjects in school, huh? >>

I guess ethics wasn't your best subject, either?

You back giambi in his bash with Arod, yet call out Rose for betting on baseball. giambi's actions (steroid use) directly altered the outcomes of games, Rose's didn't.

And you want to call me out?

Try again, troll.
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

DOPE >>

Well when you climb on the bandwagon about this article, you're clearly taking sides with the juicer.

DOPE.
    q]

NOPE, clearly a....

DOPE
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Past your bedtime junior?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Past your bedtime junior? >>

DOPEY DOPE
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    You back giambi in his bash with Arod, yet call out Rose for betting on baseball. giambi's actions (steroid use) directly altered the outcomes of games, Rose's didn't.

Again, clown, where do I back Giambi?? Arod has many detractors besides him!

Will the Bucs score a TD this week??? On offense, that is?? image

• Options

<< <i>Oh please. Arod has failed repeatedly in the clutch this year and in light of his recent comments deserves all the criticism he gets. >>

Where's your outrage over giambi cheating?

Would you prefer your kid to emulate Arod or giambi?

Can you answer a simple question, dope?
  • Options

Dope!

• Options

<< <i>image

Dope! >>

That's your response? Funny.

But then, coming from someone devoid of thought like you are, I shouldn't have high expectations.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

Dope! >>

That's your response? Funny.

But then, coming from someone devoid of thought like you are, I shouldn't have high expectations. >>

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Its sad to see someone devolve like we are seeing with bri.

I remember when he used to be able to deliver coherent thoughts...now, he's a pile of jello.
  • Options

<< <i>Its sad to see someone devolve like we are seeing with bri.

I remember when he used to be able to deliver coherent thoughts...now, he's a pile of jello. >>

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Yes we get it, you think I'm dope.

Now, do you have anything else to say?
  • Options

<< <i>Yes we get it, you think I'm dope.

Now, do you have anything else to say? >>

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I see your boytoy grote's logged off...isn't he calling you to bed yet?
  • Options

<< <i>I see your boytoy grote's logged off...isn't he calling you to bed yet? >>

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri-

you going to play this game all night, or until grote gets mad and comes and unplugs your computer?
  • Options

<< <i>bri-

you going to play this game all night, or until grote gets mad and comes and unplugs your computer? >>

-- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Funny - at least half a dozen players, former players, and coaches speak out on a rod, and his fanboys onlys want to jump on Giambi...
  • Options
    arod:

Avg .284
    HR 34
    RBI 116
    Runs 106
    SB 14

Key Factors: Never been on the Juice IE never cheated the game of baseball.

Avg .250
    HR 36
    RBI 109
    Runs 89
    SB 2

Key Factors: Cheated baseball by taking roids. Dirty player forever in my eyes regardless of what he does...

Jason should worry about himself and himself only, How about batting closer to 300 jason....

• Options

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    A Radier fan, talking about dirty players in any sport - image
  • Options
    and again, AT LEAST half a dozen players, ex players and coaches called a rod out...

Giambi took steroids?? NO SH*T
  • Options
    Every day is so wonderful
    And suddenly, i saw debris
    Now and then, I get insecure
    From all the pain, I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful no matter what they say
    Words can't bring me down
    I am beautiful in every single way
    Yes, words can't bring me down
    So don't you bring me down today

To all your friends, you're delirious
    So consumed in all your doom
    Trying hard to fill the emptiness
    The piece is gone left the puzzle undone
    That's the way it is

You are beautiful no matter what they say
    Words can't bring you down
    You are beautiful in every single way
    Yes, words can't bring you down
    Don't you bring me down today...

No matter what we do
    (no matter what we do)
    No matter what they say
    (no matter what they say)
    When the sun is shining through
    Then the clouds won't stay

And everywhere we go
    (everywhere we go)
    The sun won't always shine
    (sun won't always shine)
    But tomorrow will find a way
    All the other times

'cause we are beautiful no matter what they say
    Yes, words won't bring us down, oh no
    We are beautiful in every single way
    Yes, words can't bring us down
    Don't you bring me down today

• Options

<< <i>Key Factors: Cheated baseball by taking roids. Dirty player forever in my eyes regardless of what he does... >>

Made even funnier now that I see the Moss pic in your sig... Now THERE is a role model for us all..