Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are all evenly-colored early coppers most likely recolored?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Whenever I see a perfectly evenly colored early copper coin, I always wonder if that is an indication that the coin has been recolored. In all other series, when a coin is completely natural, it is not likely that the coin is a perfectly uniform color. Given that it is almost accepted in the early copper community that a coin can be recolored, does a coin in a circulated grade, with even color, indicate that it has been recolored?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    You can't say with certainty what has and hasn't been recolored. And if you think that spotting NT vs AT on a silver coin can be tough . . . .
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grading services body bag nice looking early copper like crazy. If they were as tough on early silver, very little of it would make into slabs. You can really alter the surfaces of an early silver and now early gold coin by stripping it, and it will still grade. A lot of early copper that has had little or nothing done to it gets a body bag.

Recently Bill Noyes published a book with color pictures of the finest known examples of each variety of 1793 and '94 large cents. As looked it over, I was surprised by how many of the coins pictured there would never get into a PCGS or NGC holder because of cleaning or other "problems."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file