Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question on Redfield collection

tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
I won an a Redfield auction but a little confused about the case that it came in. My case (see Link) is black. But all of the others I have seen are RED cases. You would think because they are a Redfield collection the cases would be RED not Black. Can someone explain this to me. Redfield
Transactions..
wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard

Comments

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    I believe they put them into two types of holders- Black and Red. Red being the holders they put the "65" coins in, Black being the holders they put the lower graded one in(60?).
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I have seen others for sale in black holders so I believe you are OK.
  • Options
    tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    GREAT thank you. Was was pretty happy with the coin as it had nice (about 1/2) blue rimm tone to it on the obverse around the date and it looks to be a 61 or 62. I think I did ok then? It just hit me when I saw the black box. Thanks again
    Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Redfields were sold in Red holders graded MS65, and Black holders graded MS60. I believe there are also a few in Green holders graded MS65+. Of course the grades on the holders are pretty meaningless. Most red holders grade at 63-64. What you do need to watch out for are the Paramount red and black holders that are often sold as Redfields. Paramount distributed the Redfield Hoard so the slabs are identical. The only difference being "From the Redfield Collection".
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Redfield Dollars also say "FROM THE REDFIELD COLLECTION" on the Paramount holder. There are those on Sleazebay hawking plain old Paramount holdered Morgan and Peace bucks as Redfields.

I'm not certain of the green holders, but the blacks are MS-60 and the reds are MS-65. The grades are usually very generous as most of them look like they were dumped of the back of a truck at about 60MPH.

I have found far more nicely colored MS-60 holdered Redfields than MS-65's.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All Redfield Dollars also say "FROM THE REDFIELD COLLECTION" on the Paramount holder. There are those on Sleazebay hawking plain old Paramount holdered Morgan and Peace bucks as Redfields.

I'm not certain of the green holders, but the blacks are MS-60 and the reds are MS-65. The grades are usually very generous as most of them look like they were dumped of the back of a truck at about 60MPH.

I have found far more nicely colored MS-60 holdered Redfields than MS-65's. >>

So THAT is the definition of an MS-60!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Here is a list of all of the varieties of Redfield and Paramount holders

Paramount (Redfield Dollars) After LaVere Redfield died in 1974 his hoard of over 400,000 silver dollars was purchased in Feb 1976 by Steve Markoff of A-Mark in a courtroom auction for 7.3 million dollars, the largest numismatic purchase ever up to that time. (Hardly a fair auction though as Markoff knew in detail what the hoard contained while the other bidders did not.) As part of the group chosen to market the dollars by A-Mark, Paramount had the dollars graded and sealed into 3 X 3 ½ inch holders. These come in three types. In addition Paramount also included some of their regular stock dollars and enclosed them in the same style holders but these do not refer to the Redfield collection.

1. Black insert no grade. These merely say "A silver dollar from the Redfield collection". These were used for those coins which were considered to be circulated. No company name on the insert.

1a. Same, but no reference to Redfield. (Not seen but since 2a and 3a exist this may exist as well. Odds are not good though since the insert would not have a grade or a company name. At least with #1 there was the tie-in to Redfield but here even that would be lacking.)

2. Black insert with a MS grade of 60. (61, 62, and 64 were not in use at that time. In fact Paramount was about the only coin firm that was using MS grades at the time.) Insert reads "Mint State XX Silver Dollar from the Redfield Collection Paramount International Coin Co".

2a Same but no reference to Redfield

2b Same as 2a but grade has been changed to 63 using a blue label maker before the insert was sealed in the slab.

3. Red insert. Same as before but these were only used for the MS-65 coins. The inscription on the red holders is "United States Silver Dollar from the Redfield Collection MS-65 Paramount International Coin Co." Due to changes in the grading standards over the years most of these would no longer rate MS-65.

3a. Same but no reference to Redfield. Insert is a dark red with a coarse graining to the imitation leather. Company name is wide coming to within less than 1/4 inch of the inside border on either side.

3a.1 Insert is a lighter red with much finer graining. A narrower text font is used and the company name is about 1/2 inch from inside border on each side.

3b. Same as 3a, but the insert grade has been altered to 67 using a red label maker before slabbing.

4. Green Redfield insert. I saw these for the first time at the 2001 Central States spring show. These were used for those coins graded MS-65+

4a. Same as 4 but non-Redfield.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file