Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin forum definitions: Circle of trust and respected forum dealers

RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since I am the one who gets blamed for bringing the Circle of Trust concept to the coin forum, a direct rip from the movie, "Meet the Parents", BTW, I feel the need to make sure that it is properly defined and used around here. Fletcher innocently confused it with the "respected forum dealer" notion. I will not attempt to define the latter...I will let someone else.

The Circle of Trust™ is the fraternity of forum member collectors who are comfortable enough with each other on the basis of shared past experiences and goodwill that they would gladly send a coin to another on approval, accept a check without a blood pact or ten page written contract, and generally respect and trust one another. Everyone has their own personal circle and level of comfort. For example, if Russ* wanted to buy one of my coins, I would gladly send it to him on approval. Heck, if he wanted to look at one of my coins or photograph it, I would send it to him. It has nothing to do with customer service and really nothing to do with dealers at all, for that matter.

Just wanted to clarify.

*There are easily 50 names that could be substituted for Russ.

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    And now how about the circle of black and gold™?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Long live The Circle of Trust™.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I'm watching you guys.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Does the Circle of Trust™ concept work once removed? For instance would the same principles apply for me if you knew I had previously worked on the same principle with Mark Feld, John Marburger, Mike Printz, etc, but you had never worked with me?
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    You would trust a Ferengi? image Just kidding.
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Jay,

The fact that you've worked with John Marburger is all I need to know....on the other hand, the fact that you've worked with Feld is also all I need to know and therefore I can't send you anymore coins on approval.....image

Okay...okay...both are great guys and to answer your question - when I deal with a forum member I rarely ask for references and I have never had a problem either. But, if someone were to use Feld as a reference....well....uh....I guess I'd still send the coin image
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Jay,

The fact that you've worked with John Marburger is all I need to know....on the other hand, the fact that you've worked with Feld is also all I need to know and therefore I can't send you anymore coins on approval.....image

Okay...okay...both are great guys and to answer your question - when I deal with a forum member I rarely ask for references and I have never had a problem either. But, if someone were to use Feld as a reference....well....uh....I guess I'd still send the coin image >>

• Options
    Is there an echo in here? image
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    "Clique: n. An exclusive group of friends or associates." A direct rip from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language at 252 (Wm. Morris ed. 1973).
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Does the Circle of Trust™ concept work once removed? For instance would the same principles apply for me if you knew I had previously worked on the same principle with Mark Feld, John Marburger, Mike Printz, etc, but you had never worked with me? >>

Yes. That's what the concept of references is about, me think.image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Btw, trust no one.image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long live the Circle of Crust.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there an echo in here? image >>

Whoops....

<< <i>Jay,

The fact that you've worked with John Marburger is all I need to know....on the other hand, the fact that you've worked with Feld is also all I need to know and therefore I can't send you anymore coins on approval.....image >>

Jay, I can't really blame Mike for saying/feeling that. He's not very bright (and I'm being kind here), but even he realizes that once you've seen my amazing images and coins, his wont look very good to you.imageimage

Just to be sure no one misunderstands good natured ribbing - Mike is one of my favorite dealers and we love to give each other grief.image It's just that I give him a bit more than he gives me.image
  • Options
    "Clique: n. An exclusive group of friends or associates." A direct rip from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language at 252 (Wm. Morris ed. 1973).

There's nothing exclusive about it. Anyone can be included.

And now how about the circle of black and gold™?

Any Steelers fan who is also a coin collector ranks right up there with Mother Theresa in my book. image

BTW, myqqy, PM me your address. I have a gift for you. image
  • Options
    Mark,

Don't worry, I have learned that when talking to other dealers, I say things like "Do you know Mark Feld?" and judge their reaction to the question before deciding to use you as a reference or not. image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Robert - As President of the COT™, you should find a way to photoseal the avatars of the membership, for easy identification. Kinda like being a Powerseller image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>his wont look very good to you. >>

What's a "wont"?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>There's nothing exclusive about it. Anyone can be included. >>

The fact that we allowed RYK in is proof.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>his wont look very good to you. >>

What's a "wont"?

Russ, NCNE >>

It's a "colloquial contraction of will not".
  • Options

<< <i>"Clique: n. An exclusive group of friends or associates." A direct rip from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language at 252 (Wm. Morris ed. 1973).

There's nothing exclusive about it. Anyone can be included. >>

Someone ought to conduct a sociological study of this place. Fascinating.
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Feld said this:
    Mike is one of my favorite dealers

Oh great....am I supposed to say something nice back? What exactly is "expected" here? I hate being obligated to say something nice like this.....image

Edited for spelling errors
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Can I bribe my way in?
  • Options
    Can I bribe my way in?

How do you think FatMan made the cut? imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Can I bribe my way in? >>

I don't make the rules, but I can read them: "Anyone can be included." You're golden!
  • Options

<< <i>Feld said this:
    Mike is one of my favorite dealers

Oh great....am I supposed to say something nice back? What exactly is "expected" here? I hate being obligated to say something nice like this.....image

Edited for spelling errors >>

Mike , how about if, instead of saying "something back" you just keep quiet for a (long) while? image
  • Options
    i only send things to RUSS if he sends me hard cash up front !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file