Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thickness and # of reeds on Ike dollars

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know what they are? I can't find it anywhere image
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    38.1 mm in diameter 24.59 grams in weight, can't locate the # of reeds either.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭
    You might PM segoja and ask him. In case he doesn't see this thread.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number of reeds looks like about 190, but I'm eyeballing it, not counting them. I wouldn't be too surprised if it varied. Get a fine point Sharpie® and mark every tenth reed as you count. You'll go less bananas that way.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Dollar (38.1mm diameter) 189 REEDS
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Help me to understand why this is important, pertinent or of any value beyond trivia? Thank you, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies image But for thickness, I meant thickness of the metal, as opposed to diameter image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh......counting reeds on Ikes.......sound like some kind of punishment.........Jeremy, did you not do your homework again image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    You can't specify the thickness of the finished coin because it varies at every point on the coin. But the average thickness would be the same as the thickness of the original blank.

Now density of the alloy is 8.92 grams/cubic centimeter The weight of the coin is 22.68 grams so the volume is 22.68 / 8.92 or 2.54 cubic centimeters. Now the volume is equal to the area of the circle times the thickness. The diameter is 3.81 cm, the radius is 1.91 cm so the area is 3.14159 X (1.91)^2 or 11.4 cm^2.

Since the volume was the area X the thickness, the thickness would be the volume divided by the area or
    2.54 cm^3/ 11.4 cm^2 = .223 cm or 2.23 mm In inches .09 inches just under a tenth of an inch.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    This gives me an excuse to repost my favorite method of counting reeds. Flatten a piece of modeling clay (Play-Doh or the like). Pinch off a tiny piece and use it to plug the space between two reeds. Then roll the coin on its edge in the modeling clay, and count them that way. The plugged reed will tell you the start/stop points.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who buys Ikes with inked edges?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This gives me an excuse to repost my favorite method of counting reeds. Flatten a piece of modeling clay (Play-Doh or the like). Pinch off a tiny piece and use it to plug the space between two reeds. Then roll the coin on its edge in the modeling clay, and count them that way. The plugged reed will tell you the start/stop points. >>

Very imaginative for a kranky guy, you get to play with playdoe, collect coins and count really small things that are close together. I guess it's that last thing that made you Kranky? image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    image I haven't counted reeds in a while and it makes me cross-eyed. That method isn't my idea by the way, I read it somewhere years ago.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I believe the method was published some years ago when McClusky was doing research on te differences in the reed counts between the Philadelphia, San Francisco, CC, and New Orleans mints.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file