Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Metal Meltdown....

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like Metals are taking a dive....

what are you doing.....

A. selling asap while you are still ahead...

B. buying while its cheap.....

C. couldnt care less...
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    Looking into buying while its cheap but the certified stuff has not really taken that big of a dive.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where have all the "gold is a great investment!" guys gone? image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D. Thanking my lucky stars that I sold when it was right about $700
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    C. couldn't care less.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold off most all of my Junk Silver at $14...but this was only a drop in the bucket...L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Where have all the "gold is a great investment!" guys gone?"

Selling to the speculators and buying on the dips...hee hee
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selling to the speculators and buying on the dips...hee hee

Buy low, sell high? Oh, I had that ars backwards. That explains a lot!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I sold my common date gold at $700. I wonder if the downturn is hurting dealers. Several were buying gold at the high. This quick drop has to hurt common date gold.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple of coins in inventory that I might have to a hit on, but by in large I'm hoping that this overheated market is going to calm down some.

Does that sound odd from a dealer? Not really. As a small dealer I often need to get coins from other dealers, and this market few of those guys need to sell anything to me. I also see evidence of the “1980 market” when the real collectors stopped buying and the “market makers” were speculators and less than well informed buyers (that’s PC for “ignorant”) who were looking for alternatives to the stock market.

Last week a “Coin World” article claimed that the wholesale market had disappeared for many early coins. That’s about right, and although that might look healthy it’s not a situation that is going to last. There will be a correction.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    C
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Metal Meltdown - Judas Priest.

Somethings calling
    In the night
    Electric madness
    Roars in sight

Heat is rising
    Blazing fast
    Hot and evil
    Feel the blast

Out of control
    About to explode
    Its coming at ya

Here comes the metal meltdown
    Run for your lives
    Cant stop the metal meltdown
    No-one survives

Raging fury
    Wired for sound
    Nitro bombshell
    Shakes the ground

High and mighty
    Rips the air
    Piercing lazer
    Burning glaze

Out of control
    About to explode
    Its coming at ya

Here comes the metal meltdown
    Run for your lives
    Cant stop the metal meltdown
    No-one survives

Temperature is boiling
    Magnifying might
    Feeding like a virus
    Flashing light

Imminent collision
    Shockwaves all around
    Generating energy
    Screams so loud

Its comin - meltdown
    Start runnin - countdo
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    lloydmincylloydmincy Posts: 1,861
    I told you if I buy, it will go down!!! But it is only speculators leaving. Soon, the panic investors go also.

B. Not a good answer since it is not cheap yet.
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    I've already sold a lot of my gold so I am happy to see metals fall apart. I would also like to see the coin market slow down. Good coins have been hard to find for awhile and most coin dealers in my area have been catering to bullion traders.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm feeling real confident that the Fed is gonna stop printing money, the deficits are going to shrink and that inflation will go away. I can't wait for 1.50 gas again.

Let's look at what's real. The biggest PM short in the world, Goldman Sachs, just got their home boy into the US Treasury. In addition, they just posted double profits over last year. Welcome to market manipulation, the advanced course. They should be getting ready to cover their shorts soon and the prices will level out.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Where have all the "gold is a great investment!" guys gone?"

Selling to the speculators and buying on the dips...hee hee >>

Ah, people tend to forget that life is full of peaks and valleys, just like the market. Some see a dip and take a dive, while others see a peak and start buying image

it doesn't make cents when you don't know what's going on

I'm still not happy with the US mint stopping sales of GOLD PROOFS in 2006.
    I don't mind someone raising prices , as long as they drop them with the dips .... Are there any lawyers or politicians in the know as to WHAT legislation is in force to allow stoppage of sales and re adjust prices on any item that is ALREADY marked up with a built in PROFIT ? This was illegal. IMO

But, I still say BUY image ... especially when people panic.

Jon, answer B is an oxymoron. I cannot buy it while it's cheap, it's never been cheap. Men die for it !
  • Options

<<C. couldnt care less... >>image
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I sold my investment gold related stuff way early, April 1st. I missed a good 15% of the move on that stuff, but I did get out. I'm looking for the dust to settle before buying here for investment or trading purposes.

I did buy a token amount of silver coins at $11/$12 per, and kind of regret doing that, now that silver is back below $10.

I will look for "motivated" sellers. Some of them will be the same folks who bought when the markets where running hot and paying too much premium, may want to dump below spot because they are sure it is going down another 3% tomorrow. When there are lot of these fire sales around, the bottom may be in.

Again, let me repeat that the average collector has no business trying to time the metals markets. Tops are created by lots of buyers, bottoms when there are lots of sellers, so be definition the average person is going to buy near the top and sell near the bottom. Of course, there are exceptional people that are able to time the swings, but they are not the kind of people reading coin boards for investment tips or for validation on their own calls image. With the market the way it has been, every one who sold at the top will share their story, while virtually no one who bought the top will tell theirs. Unfortunately, there were a lot more buyers at the top than there were sellers (that's why it is a top).
  • Options
    rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Gotta love them Judas Priest lyrics!!! Metal Rules!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Not to worry. It's just a temporary detour on the road to $2000 gold.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>Not to worry. It's just a temporary detour on the road to $2000 gold.

Russ, NCNE >>

Whaddaya mean "not to worry"? I just hocked everything I had and cashed in my life savings last week and bought gold at $700 on the recommendations of the bulls around here.

Lord, I got rent due next week. I might need a room and board from some of you seers.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Let's see Gold under $500 or DOW under 10k. The CB's doing everything they can to take out gold but they don't own enough to do this long term but unlike the past they haven't been able to prop the stock market either. I'm sure the cash is flowing out of the FED but with no M3 who knows.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Mint will "re-adjust" their asking prices for the GAE and Buffalo's? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Below $570 and going down faster than a cheap whore on Russ!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I covered my shorts last night at $594.80 and missed out on the extra $25 NY contributed image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I see alot of people locked in to high gold prices on ebay...bummer
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see alot of people locked in to high gold prices on ebay...bummer >>

Yet another reason to snipe.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I'm feeling real confident that the Fed is gonna stop printing money, the deficits are going to shrink and that inflation will go away. I can't wait for 1.50 gas again.

Let's look at what's real. The biggest PM short in the world, Goldman Sachs, just got their home boy into the US Treasury. In addition, they just posted double profits over last year. Welcome to market manipulation, the advanced course. They should be getting ready to cover their shorts soon and the prices will level out. >>

UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    2bucks2bucks Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Below $570 and going down faster than a cheap whore on Russ!!! >>

• Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    C. Couldn't care less.
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    I'm sitting all cash in the world series right now and I've moved up by four in the rankings over the last couple days. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Buying

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not to worry. It's just a temporary detour on the road to $2000 gold.

Russ, NCNE >>

Whaddaya mean "not to worry"? I just hocked everything I had and cashed in my life savings last week and bought gold at $700 on the recommendations of the bulls around here.

Lord, I got rent due next week. I might need a room and board from some of you seers. >>

Why not to spend money you don't have. Been there done that. IRS messed up my tax return and I ended up having to borrow money until it got fixed. You will not have to wait too long for it to go back up. Relatively speeking. Buy some more while its low.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sitting all cash in the world series right now and I've moved up by four in the rankings over the last couple days. image

Russ, NCNE >>

I moved to cash 2 weeks ago but havent moved in the standings. Still stuck at 18.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Did the GOLD AND SILVER WORLD NEWS, ECONOMIC PREDICTIONS thread call this one correctly?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i><< I'm sitting all cash in the world series right now and I've moved up by four in the rankings over the last couple days.

Russ, NCNE >>

I moved to cash 2 weeks ago but havent moved in the standings. Still stuck at 18. >>

I'm at 31, so that narrows the losers to #19 through #30.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not QUITE enough pessimism. Close, but not quite.
    Zarqawi took Haditha outta the papers.
    Bernanke took gold outta the papers. (course it screwed every homeowner in the country)
    I figger Osama dies in August to take the stock market crash outta the papers.

THEN.... gold can reassert itself.

• Options

<< <i>I figger Osama dies in August to take the stock market crash outta the papers. >>

Osama is already dead. The CIA has him in a freezer at a remote 7-11, from which he'll be pulled and thawed when the time is right.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The CIA has him in a freezer at a remote 7-11 >>

He musta outranked Zarqawi an got a longer expiration date.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I'll probably buy a few pieces for my personal collection since I can finally afford gold...

Hayden
  • Options
    B. buying while its cheap.....er......

• Options

<< <i>B. buying while its cheap.....er...... >>

Cheap compared to when? A year ago? A month ago?
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>I have a couple of coins in inventory that I might have to a hit on, but by in large I'm hoping that this overheated market is going to calm down some.

Does that sound odd from a dealer? Not really. As a small dealer I often need to get coins from other dealers, and this market few of those guys need to sell anything to me. I also see evidence of the “1980 market” when the real collectors stopped buying and the “market makers” were speculators and less than well informed buyers (that’s PC for “ignorant”) who were looking for alternatives to the stock market.

Last week a “Coin World” article claimed that the wholesale market had disappeared for many early coins. That’s about right, and although that might look healthy it’s not a situation that is going to last. There will be a correction. >>

I know how much you hate Sackies...Bill......image........But I image*I also see evidence of the “1980 market”*
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    Just shows how thin the metals market remains.

What happened to all those Chinese and Indians buying metals?

Bottom line the buying was hedge funds and other speculators. They just decided to sell this week to cover emerging market losses.

That not withstanding, I feel gold will rally back and hit new highs by the end of next year. Fed will stop raising rates for fear of collapsing the RE market. Dollar will hit historic lows around the world.

Who knows what will happen but this is a great entry point for people who missed out earlier.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    market manipulation at it's finest. if you do well, it's probably a matter of luck since these things don't follow any pattern that even the experts can predict(with any repeating degree of accuracy). but then, why would the manipulators tell what they're doing and why they're doing it??
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just shows how thin the metals market remains.

What happened to all those Chinese and Indians buying metals?

Bottom line the buying was hedge funds and other speculators. They just decided to sell this week to cover emerging market losses.

That not withstanding, I feel gold will rally back and hit new highs by the end of next year. Fed will stop raising rates for fear of collapsing the RE market. Dollar will hit historic lows around the world. >>

Hard to say. Central banks are in the business of propping up money by fiat, and if they have to actively suppress metals prices and seek to send the world into a recession, so be it. Small price for them to pay to prevent people from thinking their fiat currency isn't a safe haven.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Laura was really right ....she called this when gold was above $700 oz.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The Prez should have appointed Marty's rubber chicken

to be head of the Fed. We might be better off. At least

the chicken knows enough to keep its beak shut.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we are within 5-7% of the bottom and I am beginning to buy nowimage
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Gold is D-O-N-E.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights