Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

holy crap! people are losing there minds paying too much for modern cards

2»

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    LMAO Lee...I just noticed your signature line!

Another great one from that movie is "I'm going to punch you in the ovary!"
  • Options

<< <i>LMAO Lee...I just noticed your signature line!

Another great one from that movie is "I'm going to punch you in the ovary!" >>

One of the best movies ever!! lol
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Right in the baby-maker.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>[QI lost ALL respect for Delmon Young.
    But after what he did...I really couldn't care less if he played another game.
    Baseball does not need players with his attitude. It needs more players like Cal Ripken Jr....etc

I am a fan of the game before any dollar amount. >>

yet you seem to be a fan of pete rose? a man who admittingly bet on baseball while playing/managing and evidnce shows did so for and against his own team? That is attitude (and actions) baseball never needed.

• Options

<< <i>holy crap! people are losing there minds paying too much for modern cards >>

OH MY GOD! it just keeps getting worse!!!

pujols Bulk lot of 242 Rc sold for 106,000

that is 438 dollars a peice!

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    what does a pujols sell for individually?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll have to say it's pretty interesting though. Most expensive modern card, say, back in the 80s was the Jose Canseco rookie at 100 bucks. I even remember seeing kids laying down that money(probably from their parents of course)...but these prices...more investors? More adults? Are these spenders the same one from our era who have always collected modern STILL collecting modern at these high prices?
    I know there is probably the kid that comes along every now and again because mom and dad have more money than God...gosh, you can see that with some of the cars they are driving and how they are pimped out...but just WHO are these people spending this money?
    It's a rhetorical question...because I know you could say the same for a lot of this high dollar vintage. It's all what you like, collect, and are willing to put your money on.
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! >>

I wonder the exact same thing. For a card to sell for $1000 there (usually) have to be more than 2 guys who really want it. Maybe only two guys are willing to pay $1000, but there are generally scores of collectors who would have paid $300, $400 etc. for that card. Which brings us to your question: Just who are these guys that have thousands of dollars to spend on modern autos? Has anyone ever met one of them? >>

Here I am image

EDIT: Check out the next Issue of Beckett Baseball (July Issue) due out relatively soon. If Kevin Haake of Beckett was correct, I should be featured as the Super Collector of the Month. You'll see my little stash of modern autos. Or, if you don't want to wait, check out my Photobucket link in my sig. Check under my "Delmon Young Collection". You'll see aprox. $35k in Gold Refractor autos (32% of the total print run). >>

Wow, Jason
    That's pretty impressive.

I wish you luck - if this guy performs, you can buy a new house! Cash!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>[QI lost ALL respect for Delmon Young.
    But after what he did...I really couldn't care less if he played another game.
    Baseball does not need players with his attitude. It needs more players like Cal Ripken Jr....etc

I am a fan of the game before any dollar amount. >>

yet you seem to be a fan of pete rose? a man who admittingly bet on baseball while playing/managing and evidnce shows did so for and against his own team? That is attitude (and actions) baseball never needed. >>

Just a word of advice..the next time you want to come at someone and attack the player they collect for no reason whatsoever....please try to have your facts correct before making assinine statements. image

Yes, Rose gambled on baseball.....atleast he finally admitted it. I am not a fan of Rose "the gambler". I am a fan of Rose "the player". HUGE difference.

1) It's only been proven that he gambled on baseball as a Manager.

2) His gambling never effected his stats or his passion for the game...evident by his play, day in and day out. He left it all on the field..for 24 seasons.

3) It was proven that he bet FOR the Reds...never did he once bet against them. So he was not found guilty for "fixing" games.

You might want to look up all of the documents from the investigation on him and read them thoroughly. I know I have. And then come back and perhaps we can have a intelligent discussion on Rose. Until then I'd prefer not to have to keep correcting your off the wall assumptions and things you repeat from hearsay.

Thanks,
    EB31

EDIT: Perhaps knowing the difference between a "cheater" and a "gambler" might help too.

Cheater..refer to Ed Cicotte, Chick Gandil..etc Rose has a gambling problem (He lives in Las vegas as we speak). It's clear that he bet on baseball for the excitement..not the money or to change the outcome of a game. Knowing that might help you realize why MLB never labeled him a "cheater". He was banned for betting on baseball while actively participating in baseball. Again...all easy facts to learn with a little research and some light reading. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll have to say it's pretty interesting though. Most expensive modern card, say, back in the 80s was the Jose Canseco rookie at 100 bucks. I even remember seeing kids laying down that money(probably from their parents of course)...but these prices...more investors? More adults? Are these spenders the same one from our era who have always collected modern STILL collecting modern at these high prices?
    I know there is probably the kid that comes along every now and again because mom and dad have more money than God...gosh, you can see that with some of the cars they are driving and how they are pimped out...but just WHO are these people spending this money?
    It's a rhetorical question...because I know you could say the same for a lot of this high dollar vintage. It's all what you like, collect, and are willing to put your money on.
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! >>

I wonder the exact same thing. For a card to sell for $1000 there (usually) have to be more than 2 guys who really want it. Maybe only two guys are willing to pay $1000, but there are generally scores of collectors who would have paid $300, $400 etc. for that card. Which brings us to your question: Just who are these guys that have thousands of dollars to spend on modern autos? Has anyone ever met one of them? >>

Here I am image

EDIT: Check out the next Issue of Beckett Baseball (July Issue) due out relatively soon. If Kevin Haake of Beckett was correct, I should be featured as the Super Collector of the Month. You'll see my little stash of modern autos. Or, if you don't want to wait, check out my Photobucket link in my sig. Check under my "Delmon Young Collection". You'll see aprox. $35k in Gold Refractor autos (32% of the total print run). >>

Wow, Jason
    That's pretty impressive.

I wish you luck - if this guy performs, you can buy a new house! Cash!

mike >>

Thanks Mike image
  • Options
    And to add he is the all time hits leader. I see nothing wrong with collecting him or liking him for his on field accomplishments. In fact, I think its sad that he is kept out of baseball sets because his stuff would be highly collectible.
  • Options

<< <i>And to add he is the all time hits leader. I see nothing wrong with collecting him or liking him for his on field accomplishments. In fact, I think its sad that he is kept out of baseball sets because his stuff would be highly collectible. >>

IMO Pete is much more affable now than he was as a player. Much more humble to say the least.

My best friend, when he got me a personalized ball, said he was really nice to talk with and friendly.

This is gonna seem trite - but life is short.

The guy finally fessed up - timing bad on book - but that may be his $ men pushing that - he's tried to put his life in order. Only God knows.

No matter what, there's people who won't vote for him and that's probably a shame.

He's one of the better players that I have ever personally witnessed. It's tuff enough to string a few 200 hits seasons together - but to do it like he did?

His hit record, although not as sexy, ranks right up there with Aaron's HR record IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well said Mike.

People can say whatever they want about Rose the man......I don't know him personally so I really can't say much more than what I have read about in the legal documents of his investigation.

But when it comes to Rose the player....that's a while new ballgame. There is nothing that can be said to discredit what he did between those lines...everyday for 24 seasons. And....his ability as a manager wasn't too shabby either.

Trying to compare Rose's gambling to some punk kid throwing a bat (a weapon) at an umpire is humerous to say the least.
  • Options
    But he did deck Bud Harrelson in game 3 of the LCS in 73 if memory serves?

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>But he did deck Bud Harrelson in game 3 of the LCS in 73 if memory serves?

image >>

Oh so true image And took out Fosse at home in the All-star game... It's all about passion and drive and he excelled at both image

The Fosse take out a clean play. The Harrelson incident was two rivals going at it in the heat of the momemt.

Delmon throwing a bat at an ump, for being called out on stiikes.....well, that is a disgrace and should have cost that kid 2 season to sit and think about what he had done.

Just my .02
  • Options

<< <i>2001 SP Authentic Pujols Chirography

the book value on this is only $210+, how the heck did it get all the way to over 600? there is no way that it is worth that much! I mean he could blow a hammy next year or hit a slump and be the next washup like griffey jr, and then what will this $600 card be worth? this is insane!

you can get a mickey mantle or ted williams or joe dimaggio auto for less than that! image >>

That's not even a RC.

RIP Snow
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But he did deck Bud Harrelson in game 3 of the LCS in 73 if memory serves?

image >>

Oh so true image And took out Fosse at home in the All-star game... It's all about passion and drive and he excelled at both image

The Fosse take out a clean play. The Harrelson incident was two rivals going at it in the heat of the momemt.

Delmon throwing a bat at an ump, for being called out on stiikes.....well, that is a disgrace and should have cost that kid 2 season to sit and think about what he had done.

Just my .02 >>

I was just messin with ya.

Harrelson actually made a wise-ass remark to Pete I believe he said - ya don't mess with the man.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Harrelson actually made a wise-ass remark to Pete I believe he said - ya don't mess with the man.

I think from the looks of things from the pic in my sig line, "The Man" was having a bad day.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>2001 SP Authentic Pujols Chirography

the book value on this is only $210+, how the heck did it get all the way to over 600? there is no way that it is worth that much! I mean he could blow a hammy next year or hit a slump and be the next washup like griffey jr, and then what will this $600 card be worth? this is insane!

you can get a mickey mantle or ted williams or joe dimaggio auto for less than that! image >>

OK- But what if you don't give a rat's a** about Mantle or Williams or 'The Yankee Clipper'? It's a hobby, bro-- people spend their money collecting cards of players they like. Get used to it.
  • Options
    LOL Boo, take it easy on the guy. I think many of us vintage collectors are shocked at modern prices...though we understand it's today's market. I often time shake my head at what people pay for modern...all I can think of is what Mantle card I can buy with that kind of money. You're right, it's all an individual thing...but give the guy a break...it's ok to be a bit shocked! image
  • Options
    I like both...

I collect vintage with my T3 reg. set the oldest to heritage which is the best set going IMO.

At this point, tho trite, people would agree - collect what you like.

And if you're looking for a good investment? Plastics.

Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>LOL Boo, take it easy on the guy. I think many of us vintage collectors are shocked at modern prices...though we understand it's today's market. I often time shake my head at what people pay for modern...all I can think of is what Mantle card I can buy with that kind of money. You're right, it's all an individual thing...but give the guy a break...it's ok to be a bit shocked! image >>

That's completely fair, but realize that many modern collectors are shocked at the prices that get paid for a 1967 PSA 10 common, or whatever.

The best way to look at the card market is to see that virtually nobody behaves rationally; either vintage collectors or modern collectors. The problems with the modern market have been well documented, and there's no reason to repeat them here, but let's not forget that virtually all post 1960 prices have been in sharp decline for the last 3 years, and the supply of high grade singles continues to far outstrip demand. With that in mind I don't think anyone who kicks out $700 for a 'low pop' common (which will probably see its population increase 500% in the next three years) needs to get their nose in the air when talking about the latest 'chrome refractor thingy'.
  • Options

<< <i>the latest 'chrome refractor thingy'. >>

I'm all for the technology!

I'm hoping that they come out with an insert that will clean the cat litter box!

Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    There is becoming a fault line between hi-grade and low grade "vintage" which is becoming even more ridiculous than any modern card bringing big money. Your telling me you have no problem with a 1970 Topps common bringing $300 in PSA 9 and $30 in PSA 8, but it's insane that the best active hitter with even more potential whose best RC is limited to 500 brings a few K's? Who cares if people are stupid enough to pay outlandish prices for the cars they want. They want them and have the money. It's their money.

Lee
  • Options
    The best way to look at the card market is to see that virtually nobody behaves rationally; either vintage collectors or modern collectors.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Albert went on the DL today !
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>Trying to compare Rose's gambling to some punk kid throwing a bat (a weapon) at an umpire is humerous to say the least. >>

you might want to re-read my post EB31. I was not comparing Rose to that idiot, I was comparing him to Cal Ripken (the player YOU said baseball needed more of) which made me laugh when I seeyou are a fan of Rose.

(and I never said the word cheater either buy the way, so what was up with that????????)

He could hit, and certainly was not a bad player, but he was a thug, willing to punch out or push players he did not like or in his way, AND he gambled on baseball (which is like the biggest no-no in baseball - just ask shoeless Joe!)

Fact is, rose is No Ripken........................................... not even billy ripken.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Trying to compare Rose's gambling to some punk kid throwing a bat (a weapon) at an umpire is humerous to say the least. >>

you might want to re-read my post EB31. I was not comparing Rose to that idiot, I was comparing him to Cal Ripken (the player YOU said baseball needed more of) which made me laugh when I seeyou are a fan of Rose.

(and I never said the word cheater either buy the way, so what was up with that????????)

He could hit, and certainly was not a bad player, but he was a thug, willing to punch out or push players he did not like or in his way, AND he gambled on baseball (which is like the biggest no-no in baseball - just ask shoeless Joe!)

Fact is, rose is No Ripken........................................... not even billy ripken. >>

Can't argue with your beliefs about Rose.

But this is 2006 and the guy seems to be trying to mend "life's" fences.

Only God knows for sure.

As I said earlier - life's short. Let's hope he's up to good now?

And I do agree with you...there was a time where I viewed his attitude/approach to handling things under pressure with all the tact of a Soprano.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

Fact is, rose is No Ripken........................................... not even billy ripken. >>

Never said he was skippy.

Rose is Rose...the best hitter the game ever saw (IMO). I say he played with passion..you say he was a thug thug. Anyway you slice it....his records (and he owns many...12 MLB records & 7 NL records) speak for themselves. He may have been of unsavory character...but he was one of the best players to ever wear a uniform.

Now...where does my saying baseball needs more upstanding people like Ripken invite you to come and try and be a smartass and ridicule my collecting Pete Rose?

I suggest you think about growing up.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On the values of modern cards...

It's no more crazy to plunk down a few grand for a Pujols than a Mantle.

The value of this stuff is driven by demand. Young people can relate to Pujols and see him hitting those monsters over the wall. That's who they see....that's who they want.

If you can put on your "collector" hat - I think one can come to the conclusion that it was a good buy.

And for the "investors" in vintage? Who knows? Vintage could go in the toilet and modern may drive the bus in the year 2050?

I like modern cards and I like vintage cards - as a collector I see no distinction other than age.

mike >>

This guy hit it right on the money in my mind....

None will hit that 1952 mantle status but a few modern's will - should do well into the future.

I brought this subject up in "vintage vs modern" thread, my main concern is....what happens to our vintage in 2050...will they be forgotten?...prices drop...

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

<< <i>I guess the book is wrong. >>

Say it isn't so image
    Out of the hobby, but still love my signature cuts.

Wantlist:
    2001 Fleer Genuine Elston Howard Material Issue Jersey
    2001 Leaf Certified Jackie Robinson Fabrics of the Game Jersey #32
  • Options
    If people want a card bad enough, $ is no object. I will NEVER get back what I paid for these. But these were bought for my pernament collection and not as an investment. They are rare and " must haves".

I have paid-

1989 Fleer-
    cello, Bill Ripken on back $400
    Rack Bill on top $250
    Rack Bill on top $150
    Card $500
    Card $250

2005 Bowman Draft Russ Martin-
    card $700 (guy paid around $200 for it 2 years back when I was selling so I could hit the BIN)
    card $200
    card $150

imageimageimage
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If people want a card bad enough, $ is no object. I will NEVER get back what I paid for these. But these were bought for my pernament collection and not as an investment. They are rare and " must haves".

I have paid-

1989 Fleer-
    cello, Bill Ripken on back $400
    Rack Bill on top $250
    Rack Bill on top $150
    Card $500
    Card $250

2005 Bowman Draft Russ Martin-
    card $700 (guy paid around $200 for it 2 years back when I was selling si I could hit the BIN)
    card $200
    card $150 >>

I guess the moral is, if you're that sure that you're never going to resell it (and I agree sports cards, with the exception of vintage unopened material will NOT appreciate in value for the most part), who cares what it took to get it, as long as you personaly think it is worth that much. This is especially true if it's a truely one of a kind sort of deal.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    There are players on ebay who do nothing but inflate prices on high end cards. When ebay drops the auction, and make it a hard price you will see high end cards drop to a more proper price range.
    Big Kahuna

• Options

<< <i>What I do not understand is why anyone would pay that kind of money for a auto card of a current player who will probably sign hundreds in the next few years. This happens in Basketball with LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. Very inflated prices for superstar players who are still signing. The best player to look at in terms of this is Jordan. A few years ago his auto's were going for phenomenal prices well beyond the $600 for the Pujols but can be acquired now for about half that price. I guess it just boils down to the flavor of the month. >>

You're not paying for the card but you are paying for that atuo of that plaer. The auto drops the value of the card overall its the auto that makes the value of the card. In my book, vintage cards are worth a bi more because its a time when men were men. They didn't use gloves to hold a bat with, use your hands. Today, its all about money, not about that game.
    Big Kahuna

• Options

<< <i>On the values of modern cards...

It's no more crazy to plunk down a few grand for a Pujols than a Mantle.

(Ah, Mantle batted balls without using gloves on his hands lol )

The value of this stuff is driven by demand. Young people can relate to Pujols and see him hitting those monsters over the wall. That's who they see....that's who they want.

(I agree)

If you can put on your "collector" hat - I think one can come to the conclusion that it was a good buy.

(ebay is driving the market right now)

And for the "investors" in vintage? Who knows? Vintage could go in the toilet and modern may drive the bus in the year 2050?

( Vintage cards of 60's & 70's will disappear like the T cards have, and be harder to fine so pick them up now. Those modern cards will rise in price 25-30 years from now that's the hobby)

I like modern cards and I like vintage cards - as a collector I see no distinction other than age.

( True, however you can add one important element in your thoughts, and that would be the stats. In the old days, baseball was all about the stats. Today, its all about the player's power, and the amount of money he can get its not about the stats.)

mike >>

Big Kahuna

• Options
    supply vs demand

rarity vs popularity