Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

holy crap! people are losing there minds paying too much for modern cards

2001 SP Authentic Pujols Chirography

the book value on this is only $210+, how the heck did it get all the way to over 600? there is no way that it is worth that much! I mean he could blow a hammy next year or hit a slump and be the next washup like griffey jr, and then what will this $600 card be worth? this is insane!

you can get a mickey mantle or ted williams or joe dimaggio auto for less than that! image

Comments

• phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I guess the book is wrong.
  • Look at the 2006 Topps Alex Gordon...

The 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols rookie is easily a 2000 dollar seller on Ebay.. I sold mine for 1138.00 last year.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    All I have to say is Juan Gonzales ( who happened to just sign a contract with an independent league team the Long Island Ducks who are about 15 minutes from me )

Not that Pujols will end up with the same fate as Juan Gone, but remember the days where he was the best thing since a lonely drunk chick ?

Oh.....another one......Albert Belle anyone ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Juan Gonzales

WHO?

THANKS,

...1991 TOPPS Desert Shield Baseball Card Collector
    .....Since 1991 HOOAH!

S1991TOPPS@aol.com ">myemailaddress
  • baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭

<< <i>All I have to say is Juan Gonzales ( who happened to just sign a contract with an independent league team the Long Island Ducks who are about 15 minutes from me )

Not that Pujols will end up with the same fate as Juan Gone, but remember the days where he was the best thing since a lonely drunk chick ?

Oh.....another one......Albert Belle anyone ? >>

Jose Canseco? Greg Jeffries? Kevin Seitzer? Eric Davis? etc etc etc...........
  • ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Its awesome that people throw their money away on this junk. It keeps the prices down on the 70s stuff that I am collecting. I would rather have some one willing to spend $600 on a "platinum-double-reverse-refractor-signature-foil-insert" card than wanting to spend $600 on a card I that need for my registry.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Its awesome that people throw their money away on this junk. It keeps the prices down on the 70s stuff that I am collecting. I would rather have some one willing to spend $600 on a "platinum-double-reverse-refractor-signature-foil-insert" card than wanting to spend $600 on a card I that need for my registry.

-Scott >>

damn straight image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Well, for some reason people believe that modern cards will go up in value. Maybe 30-40 years down the road they'll appreciate but I make a collection out of buying Gem Mint version of cards that used to be huge in value. Why? Well I have a 15.00 max spending limit on modern singles. That's for any modern card. No matter if it's my favorite player or I just really want that card.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    What I do not understand is why anyone would pay that kind of money for a auto card of a current player who will probably sign hundreds in the next few years. This happens in Basketball with LeBron James and Dwayne Wade. Very inflated prices for superstar players who are still signing. The best player to look at in terms of this is Jordan. A few years ago his auto's were going for phenomenal prices well beyond the $600 for the Pujols but can be acquired now for about half that price. I guess it just boils down to the flavor of the month.
  • I guess you guys won't want to hear what I paid for my 16 Delmon Young Gold Refractor autos /50 image lol Let's just say I could have bought a PSA 8 1971 Topps set image
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jose Canseco? Greg Jeffries? Kevin Seitzer? Eric Davis? etc etc etc........... >>

Which of those guys put up numbers for 5 straight years like Pujols has? None. I agree that his stuff is overpriced, but come on, try picking a reasonable comparison.

Tabe
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I got lucky and pulled the memorabilia rookie Pujols out of 2001 Leaf Limited. It's numbered out of only 250. I saw one a couple weeks ago go for 268 then one earlier this week for 298...Im going to wait and see if he keeps hitting HRs before I sell it off. I think some of these buyers are taking the risk that Pujols could very well break the single season HR record...cuz if he does, watch all these cards go through the roof! Think they are a lot of money now? If Pujols does it, you will have had to have won your state lottery to pick up a quality rookie!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Along with people who pay outrageous prices for modern cards, another thing that puzzles me is people who are paying enormous sums on vintage commons or minor stars just because they are graded a 8,9, or 10. Example: there is a 1957 Mike Garcia PSA 8 that just sold on Ebay for just under $700 dollars. Giminy Christmas! You could buy a major baseball star graded NM7 for that price...or you could buy a Baugh, Unitas, Graham, or Brown rookie for much less than that. I never saw the appreciation in buying high grade commons or semi-stars. I would much rather have a superstar rookie than a nobody high grade....Just my opinion. I am sure many of you do buy high grade commons and minor stars for big bucks...don't mean to offend anyone, but to me it seems like a waste of money. I understand high grade set collectors paying a premium for vintage high grades due to scarcity, but the prices paid seem crazy.

• << <i>Along with people who pay outrageous prices for modern cards, another thing that puzzles me is people who are paying enormous sums on vintage commons or minor stars just because they are graded a 8,9, or 10. Example: there is a 1957 Mike Garcia PSA 8 that just sold on Ebay for just under $700 dollars. Giminy Christmas! You could buy a major baseball star graded NM7 for that price...or you could buy a Baugh, Unitas, Graham, or Brown rookie for much less than that. I never saw the appreciation in buying high grade commons or semi-stars. I would much rather have a superstar rookie than a nobody high grade....Just my opinion. I am sure many of you do buy high grade commons and minor stars for big bucks...don't mean to offend anyone, but to me it seems like a waste of money. I understand high grade set collectors paying a premium for vintage high grades due to scarcity, but the prices paid seem crazy. >>

That's what I don't understand at all! I know I paid $430 for my 1971 Pete Rose PSA 8, and to me that was an average price. But to pay more for some common unknown scrub...high number or not...it a bit confusing. All I can say is I am glad I decided against going after a PSA 8 graded 71 set
    I absolutely agree with you BigDaddy! Yeah, those commons look pretty in that holder...but there is no way, unless of course I was a multi-millionaire would I pay those prices!
    I was lucky to pull that Pujols out of a pack...and guess what I am going to buy with it when I sell it...you got it! A nice Mickey Mantle! image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the values of modern cards...

It's no more crazy to plunk down a few grand for a Pujols than a Mantle.

The value of this stuff is driven by demand. Young people can relate to Pujols and see him hitting those monsters over the wall. That's who they see....that's who they want.

If you can put on your "collector" hat - I think one can come to the conclusion that it was a good buy.

And for the "investors" in vintage? Who knows? Vintage could go in the toilet and modern may drive the bus in the year 2050?

I like modern cards and I like vintage cards - as a collector I see no distinction other than age.

mike
    Mike
    Mike
    You're a better man than me...as much as I also like modern, I still dont get those prices even with supply/demand! Gimme that Mantle!!! image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Its awesome that people throw their money away on this junk. It keeps the prices down on the 70s stuff that I am collecting. I would rather have some one willing to spend $600 on a "platinum-double-reverse-refractor-signature-foil-insert" card than wanting to spend $600 on a card I that need for my registry.

-Scott >>

And I'm sure many people are thrilled to see you throwing money away on '70's junk and not contributing to higher prices on the cards that they need.

I don't mind someone being a card snob if they're putting together an Allen and Ginter set or something, but Nobody collecting '70's cards should be getting an attitude about what other collectors choose to spend their money on.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike
    You're a better man than me...as much as I also like modern, I still dont get those prices even with supply/demand! Gimme that Mantle!!! image >>

I know what you mean Barry.

It's all mindset - go to a show and stand around the Beckett grading booth - listen to the kids - ya gotta stand in their shoes - it's just different.

The money is just as green that gets spent on the Pujols as the Mantles.

mike
    Mike
    I'll have to say it's pretty interesting though. Most expensive modern card, say, back in the 80s was the Jose Canseco rookie at 100 bucks. I even remember seeing kids laying down that money(probably from their parents of course)...but these prices...more investors? More adults? Are these spenders the same one from our era who have always collected modern STILL collecting modern at these high prices?
    I know there is probably the kid that comes along every now and again because mom and dad have more money than God...gosh, you can see that with some of the cars they are driving and how they are pimped out...but just WHO are these people spending this money?
    It's a rhetorical question...because I know you could say the same for a lot of this high dollar vintage. It's all what you like, collect, and are willing to put your money on.
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!
  • Good evening:
    The bottom line for me is........
    I don't care if the card is vintage or modern, I'll place an esnipe bid for the max amount I'm willing to pay for the itme in question. with this said, I NEVER look at book prices, but instead bid what I feel the item is worth.
    Rich
  • well he struck out 3 times straight tonight, so 600 maybe a little much at that point!
  • OverratedOverrated Posts: 454 ✭✭
    there will never be a modern card, THAT WILL EVER EVEN COME CLOSE TO A 52 TOPPS MANTLE ARE YOU #*!%* KIDDING ME ? SO MUCH CRAP! WIN YOU OWN A 52 MANTLE , YOU HAVE ARRIVED.................
  • ^^No there won't. But, hopefully someday I'll have the bank to own one myself. Myself tho, my top wanted card is a high grade copy of the 59 Topps Sam Huff rookie. I lost out by about 10 bucks on a PSA 8 a month ago and I'm still kicking myself for it.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It's like you guys don't remember collecting in the 80s and 90s (although some of you didn't I guess). An 86 Donruss Canseco went for over $100 in '88. Griffey Jr. UD RCs were in the $100 range. Mattingly 84 Donruss RCs were too. '90 Leaf Thomas as well. These were cards that were literally printed in the 100's of thousands and even millions. There were enough for every collector that wanted one to have one. Now you have maybe a few thousand of each player's best RC and there aren't nearly enough of them to go around. Thus the high prices. Supply and demand.

A side story: A teacher of mine in middle school liked Mike Greenwell when he was in the minors and bought 5000 boxes of his 87 Topps and 87 Donruss RCs at .05 each. He ended up selling them out at around $4 and $7 a piece at the end of the year. That's an insane amount of money to make on a guy's card. The speculation was there back then, but it was buying in bulk rather than buying a few #'d cards.

Lee

<< <i>there will never be a modern card, THAT WILL EVER EVEN COME CLOSE TO A 52 TOPPS MANTLE ARE YOU #*!%* KIDDING ME ? SO MUCH CRAP! WIN YOU OWN A 52 MANTLE , YOU HAVE ARRIVED................. >>

Uh, who said there would be? And anyway, what does the '52 Mantle have to do with anything? There's probably a half dozen guys on this board who could afford one (I'm not one of them), so going on about this card as you so like to do is largely irrelevant. Additionally you could add another 50 or so cards to the 'can't miss' list along with the Mantle, e.g. the Goudey Nap Lajoie,, 55 Topps Gordie Howe, etc etc.

<< <i>I'll have to say it's pretty interesting though. Most expensive modern card, say, back in the 80s was the Jose Canseco rookie at 100 bucks. I even remember seeing kids laying down that money(probably from their parents of course)...but these prices...more investors? More adults? Are these spenders the same one from our era who have always collected modern STILL collecting modern at these high prices?
    I know there is probably the kid that comes along every now and again because mom and dad have more money than God...gosh, you can see that with some of the cars they are driving and how they are pimped out...but just WHO are these people spending this money?
    It's a rhetorical question...because I know you could say the same for a lot of this high dollar vintage. It's all what you like, collect, and are willing to put your money on.
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! >>

I wonder the exact same thing. For a card to sell for $1000 there (usually) have to be more than 2 guys who really want it. Maybe only two guys are willing to pay $1000, but there are generally scores of collectors who would have paid $300, $400 etc. for that card. Which brings us to your question: Just who are these guys that have thousands of dollars to spend on modern autos? Has anyone ever met one of them?

<< <i>It's like you guys don't remember collecting in the 80s and 90s (although some of you didn't I guess). An 86 Donruss Canseco went for over $100 in '88. Griffey Jr. UD RCs were in the $100 range. Mattingly 84 Donruss RCs were too. '90 Leaf Thomas as well. These were cards that were literally printed in the 100's of thousands and even millions. There were enough for every collector that wanted one to have one. Now you have maybe a few thousand of each player's best RC and there aren't nearly enough of them to go around. Thus the high prices. Supply and demand.

A side story: A teacher of mine in middle school liked Mike Greenwell when he was in the minors and bought 5000 boxes of his 87 Topps and 87 Donruss RCs at .05 each. He ended up selling them out at around $4 and $7 a piece at the end of the year. That's an insane amount of money to make on a guy's card. The speculation was there back then, but it was buying in bulk rather than buying a few #'d cards.

Lee >>

I had a neighbor who did the exact same thing with the 1987 Topps McGwire. He bought 16,000 of them for $.12 a piece in March, and in August he sold them for $5 each. He also had stocked up--and I do mean stocked up-- on Mattingly and Boggs RC's from 1985-1987, and in that same summer he decided to unload. He put all the cards in 100 ct. jewel cases, filled up a briefcase with them, and took them to the Radisson show (it used to be one of the major annual shows here in SE Michigan) where he sold them all for somewhere around 35K to a big time dealer out East.

But here's the funny thing. Despite selling thirty five grand worth of cardboard that day, the deal he was most proud of was one he struck with a dealer who'd come in from Cincy. He traded 12 1985 Donruss Eric Davis' for 72 1987 Fleer Will Clarks, and couldn't believe how badly he'd taken the guy!!!

• << <i>

<< <i>I'll have to say it's pretty interesting though. Most expensive modern card, say, back in the 80s was the Jose Canseco rookie at 100 bucks. I even remember seeing kids laying down that money(probably from their parents of course)...but these prices...more investors? More adults? Are these spenders the same one from our era who have always collected modern STILL collecting modern at these high prices?
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! >>

I wonder the exact same thing. For a card to sell for $1000 there (usually) have to be more than 2 guys who really want it. Maybe only two guys are willing to pay $1000, but there are generally scores of collectors who would have paid $300, $400 etc. for that card. Which brings us to your question: Just who are these guys that have thousands of dollars to spend on modern autos? Has anyone ever met one of them? >>

Here I am image

EDIT: Check out the next Issue of Beckett Baseball (July Issue) due out relatively soon. If Kevin Haake of Beckett was correct, I should be featured as the Super Collector of the Month. You'll see my little stash of modern autos. Or, if you don't want to wait, check out my Photobucket link in my sig. Check under my "Delmon Young Collection". You'll see aprox. $35k in Gold Refractor autos (32% of the total print run).
    Boo,
    Clealry getting 72 Will Clark RCs is better than making tens of thousands of dollars............. I hope he still has them- they've gotta be worth a fortune by now! Investors are sometimes stupid, myself included (Read: investments in Eric Zeier, Charlie Batch, 95 Select Artist's Proofs, Laterial Green (who?), and many others).

Lee
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand the 1980's "investing in bulk" theory. If there are 100,000 mint Rc's of _______ to invest in, it seems like a bad investment to me already! I mean, for petes sake! The mass prodoced clue that makes it all worthless today was evident back then, I don't see why people couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnell. $35,000 on those mass produced cards??? If your buying one hundred THOUSAND of a card, there is a problem! for it to hold real future value, there can't be that freaking many!!!! especially in a relatively specialized market (sportscards). Am I totally in left field here? I started colelcting in '98, by the way. So maybe I'm not totally informed on how it was in the late 80s.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>[ Check out the next Issue of Beckett Baseball (July Issue) due out relatively soon. If Kevin Haake of Beckett was correct, I should be featured as the Super Collector of the Month. You'll see my little stash of modern autos. Or, if you don't want to wait, check out my Photobucket link in my sig. Check under my "Delmon Young Collection". You'll see aprox. $35k in Gold Refractor autos (32% of the total print run). >>

You must have had a heart attack when he hit that umpire with the bat.
    I think part of it is that you have 500x the collectors or "investors" out there than you do now. It was easy to sell 200 Canseco rookies at one show if you had them. The market and the collector/investor base has changed tremendously...and that's an understatement

<< <i>I don't really understand the 1980's "investing in bulk" theory. If there are 100,000 mint Rc's of _______ to invest in, it seems like a bad investment to me already! I mean, for petes sake! The mass prodoced clue that makes it all worthless today was evident back then, I don't see why people couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnell. $35,000 on those mass produced cards??? If your buying one hundred THOUSAND of a card, there is a problem! for it to hold real future value, there can't be that freaking many!!!! especially in a relatively specialized market (sportscards). Am I totally in left field here? I started colelcting in '98, by the way. So maybe I'm not totally informed on how it was in the late 80s.

John >>

No, you're totally informed. There were 1000, 2000, 5000 card lots of the hottest RC's being bought and sold everyday. And condition didn't really matter. A card couldn't be creased, or badly off center, but as long as it looked 'pretty good' one was worth about as much as the next. There was a dealer in Pittsburgh-- I can't remember his name-- who used to get a hold of thousands upon thousands of uncut sheets. Whenever another dealer wanted quantity he could call this guy, tell him 'I need 1500 Ellis Burks RC's', or whatever, and the guy would just cut them out of the sheets and send 'em off.

In retrospect it was total madness, but who could have known at the time? It just seemed like the way the hobby was evolving.
    Ahman, you're thinking long-term investment. Most of these guys were looking for the next star and would flip them as soon as their guy broke through. They weren't buying 5000 ct. boxes of Ripken; it was more like Al Leiter and Pete Incaviglia. It's a completely different mentality to be able to do that effectively and collecting has nothing to do with it.

Lee
    Was that Henderson's Cards? I dont know if they were from PA or not but I remember they had bulk lots.

Edit: Bill Henderson Cards?

<< <i>Ahman, you're thinking long-term investment. Most of these guys were looking for the next star and would flip them as soon as their guy broke through. They weren't buying 5000 ct. boxes of Ripken; it was more like Al Leiter and Pete Incaviglia. It's a completely different mentality to be able to do that effectively and collecting has nothing to do with it.

Lee >>

Well, I think I'm understanding. Here are a couple of observations I've made (please feel free to comment on these)

1. basically everyone that was in the hobby in 1988 and stayed in until now took a major bath.
    2. this bath probably weeded out a lot of investors and left most of the true 'collectors'.
    Thus I woudl think, the people who happened to collect the 'boring old stuff' back in the late 80's have basically made out very well, since all the investors were spending their $$ on Gregg jeffries blocks.

My question is this: these guys paying $.05 for a 5000 count lot of rookies to flip... I can understand that. But then they would flip for $5 each at the end of the year (give or take... I've heard that this kind of thing actually happening, in this thread and I have heard it before as well)
    I can't really think of any card now that you could buy, and in one year get that kind of % return on and actually sell. Who were the people buying the cards for $5 a pop? Other dealers looking to turn them yet again? I mean, at .05 each, your not losing too much. But at $5 each it seems like a big gamble.
    Basically, the whole scenario just seems unbelievable. It sucks, because if I were in the hobby at that time, I would have still bought the same thing I'm buying today: 50's and prewar stuff. and I could have gotten it so, so cheap..

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>

<< <i>[ Check out the next Issue of Beckett Baseball (July Issue) due out relatively soon. If Kevin Haake of Beckett was correct, I should be featured as the Super Collector of the Month. You'll see my little stash of modern autos. Or, if you don't want to wait, check out my Photobucket link in my sig. Check under my "Delmon Young Collection". You'll see aprox. $35k in Gold Refractor autos (32% of the total print run). >>

You must have had a heart attack when he hit that umpire with the bat. >>

No, wasn't pleased at all though....but overall, just a hiccup in the grand scheme of things image
    Yeah John, thats just about it....except for the fact that there were even more collectors of vintage. Vintage was a GREAT market. I personally did very well on it in the 80s for both my collection and for turning a profit.
    EB:

Are the Gold refractor autograph (i think??) Delmon Young cards for a quick flip? or because you are a fan of his and decided to collect his cards? Or a long term investment ? basically just wondering why you have the cards and what your plan is.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
    Ahman- buying bulk lots was like playing the stock market. Everything was totally predictible- Donruss was worth 2x Topps and Fleer was worth 2x Donruss. You were betting on the player you were buying to pan out. The prices at the beginning of the season were based on potential. When a player had a break through year his card would go up to around $2 (Ruben Sierra, Bonilla, Larkin, etc...). If they had an MVP type rookie or second year the card would go to around $7 (Bo, Will Clark, Joyner, Greenwell, McGwire, Canseco, etc..). Card shows had crazy traffic back then and since collectors looking for new cards (90% of them were) only had 3 sets to choose from. A dealer at a good show would have no problem unloading a few hundred McGwire RCs in a weekend at $7 each. So they would pay $5 for them knowing they would sell at $7

Looking back, if you bought 5000 ct lots of every rookie in the beginning of the year that was .25 each or less, and sold the good ones once they hit $3 and burned the rest, you would've made a lot of money. The potential return if a player broke through was insane.

Lee
    I bet you were yelling at the TV when you saw him hit the ump with the bat.

Lee

• << <i>EB:

Are the Gold refractor autograph (i think??) Delmon Young cards for a quick flip? or because you are a fan of his and decided to collect his cards? Or a long term investment ? basically just wondering why you have the cards and what your plan is.
    John >>

Definately not a fan of his.....especially after the crap he just pulled. As a fan of the game I think he should have been tossed for at LEAST the rest of the season. But, having these cards....I am glad it wasn't too bad lol

Yes, they are autographed and limited to 50 total cards.

I picked them up as a semi-long term investment....only until he makes his MLB debut. At this point and time...worst case scenerio, I break even. Not that bad.

After this whole incident with him, I can't begin to explain how happy I have been now that I have decided to go back to my roots and collect the cards I loved growing up image Delmon was my 1st and last time at "prospecting". And not because of what happened either. I knew going into these cards that I would only do this once (drop such a hefty amount on an unproven player). Basically I wanted to gamble...found the player that gave me the best odds so to speak...and went for it.

Time will tell how things play out ...

• << <i>I bet you were yelling at the TV when you saw him hit the ump with the bat.

Lee >>

No, not at all. I knew I was taking a huge risk going in. It's all part of the game.

The only reaction I had was that I lost ALL respect for Delmon Young. At one time I was a supporter of his...thought he had a decent background...etc

But after what he did...I really couldn't care less if he played another game. Baseball does not need players with his attitude. It needs more players like Cal Ripken Jr....etc

I am a fan of the game before any dollar amount.
    thanks for the nice summary. It seems almost comical how the market worked at that time.
    I wonder why there is so much less traffic now? There are just as many sports fans, I would imagine. I could not see a dealer sell a few hundred of any particular card now at a weekend show. Even a pujols rookie.
    Do you think there are so many fewer people in the hobby now because so many people got burned on that late 80's trash?

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
    I personally believe it's because prices of boxes, packs, singles have gone through the roof pushing kids out of the hobby. It costs a lot of money to collect these days.
    EB: interesting strategy. I hope it works out.
    With the kind of funds it seems you have to invest, you might do well with mid to high grade pre war cards. They seem to be on a steady rise, and it certainly would be less risky.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

<< <i>I personally believe it's because prices of boxes, packs, singles have gone through the roof pushing kids out of the hobby. It costs a lot of money to collect these days. >>

It doesnt seem to me like the kids would be the ones buying these bulk lots and what not?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
    I wouldn't close the book on Delmon as a person just yet. He's a young guy with a ton of pressure. One of the best characters and smartest baseball minds ever lost it on a call and spit on an ump- but we'll still see Roberto Alomar in the HOF as one of the best 2nd baseman to play the game. By all accounts from people that knew him as a player, the spitting incident was completely uncharacteristic. Maybe he found out his dog died that day. Sometimes people lose it. Not an excuse, but most of us have been there at some point in our lives.

Lee
    The kids weren't buying the bulk lots...but they were buying the singles from the dealers...by the handfuls. Buy a Bo Jackson rookie for 2 bucks...parents had no problem handing their kids a few bucks. Plus, lots of parent were involved with collecting too so they were buying bunches themselves.
    edited to add: You also had a bunch of small time investors buying 10 or 20 of a guy at a time.