Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-called dollars confuse me...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
What exactly is a "so-called dollar"?

How did HK determine what should be included in the book? Should it have been done differently?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Andy!!! You should know this!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Andy!!! You should know this!!!

I agree. That's why I asked the question.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    From wikipedia ;

Hibler and Kappen co-authored the so-called standard on "So-Called Dollars". Their objective was to document a specific set of tokens throughout the history of the United States. Their book "So-Called Dollars", written in 1963, Lists the approximately 1000 tokens that they determined met their standards. This list has become a milestone to collectors since then.

The initials HK represent the designation given by Hibler and Kappen . This book listed tokens that met a specific standard. HK represent the designation given by Hibler and Kappen who co-authored a book called “So-Called Dollars” in 1963. This book listed tokens that met a specific standard. The importance of this is that many Exonumia collectors use the book and its identifiers to determine what to collect.

The HK standards from the So-Called Dollars book are:

1. United States Only.
    2. Minimum Diameter- Size 21 (1-5/16 in. or 33 mm.).
    3. Maximum Diameter-Size 28 (1-3/4 in. or 45mm.); (exception made for the Bryan Dollars).
    4. No holed or looped material unless struck plain also. (exception for the first three HK dollars).
    5. No plastic, fiber or similar material unless issued also in one or more metals.
    6. No purely presidential or political medals.
    7. No school, college or athletic medals; no coin club or U.S. Armed Forces medals.
    8. No calendar or store cards; no trade tokens or emergency money.

HK-281

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    From their book:

"For the last eighty-five years or more coin collectors and dealers alike have used the term "so-called dollars" to designate medals of near dollar size, at first of a commemorative or exposition nature, later of a monetary kind."

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    From their book:

"For the last eighty-five years or more coin collectors and dealers alike have used the term "so-called dollars" to designate medals of near dollar size, at first of a commemorative or exposition nature, later of a monetary kind."

What are some examples of HK pieces of "a monetary kind"?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    By the HK standards listed above, would Mardi Gras "doubloons" be considered so-called dollars?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of medals that fit their parameters which are not in the book. Many of these
    were probably not known to the authors or were considered trivial but there are others for
    which it's difficult to determine why they weren't included. There have also been many is-
    sued since the book was published in the early '60's. Almost all of these "moderns" are
    available for very low prices.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    This is kind of like junior high school. All of us stand around in a group. One person asks a question that none of the rest of us know. He gets mocked, and the rest of us benefit from the answer while acting like we already knew it. We thank you, Andy image
  • Options

<< <i>From their book:

What are some examples of HK pieces of "a monetary kind"? >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Options
    DUIGUY - Thanks for posting the Pedley Ryan. I didn't realize that silver rounds qualify as so-called dollars!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Dollars...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bryan Dollars...

But those are political!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is kind of like junior high school. All of us stand around in a group. One person asks a question that none of the rest of us know. He gets mocked, and the rest of us benefit from the answer while acting like we already knew it. We thank you, Andy image >>

I don't see anyone mocking Andy, I thought DUIGUY gave a good answer with the HK standards, and others as well.

I attended ANA summer school last year, and Jeff Shevlin did a session on So-Called Dollars. He's a leading expert with SCD. He's been working on an updated SCD guide for a while now. The HK guide is over 40 years old, and if I recall correctly, he wants to provide updated market information, identify other SCD, but stick with the HK standards.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    MrEureka:

They are but they are very cool...

• Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Ronyahski

You're right. No one is mocking Andy. He just got a slight scolding from Marty. The point was, numismatically ignorant people like me get to sit back and enjoy the answers while others ask the questions.
  • Options
    They are but they are very cool...

I agree. Bryan money is fascinating. But they are not SCDs by the HK definition.
    Andy Lustig

• Options

• Options
    okay... you got me on that

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ronyahski

You're right. No one is mocking Andy. He just got a slight scolding from Marty. The point was, numismatically ignorant people like me get to sit back and enjoy the answers while others ask the questions. >>

Count me in. I went to the ANA session because I had absoluetely no clue what a SCD was, and wanted to find out.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice imaging MadMarty! The design on some of the SCD are very attractive.

• Options
    I can see how these would be fun to collect!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bars are fun and there is a group dedicated to collecting them but they concentrate more on the art bars.

Mardi Gras throws are a massive field and can be done very cheaply until you hit about the 10,000 different area.

Bawdy house tokens are not as much fun as you'd think (research could be a hoot). These are pretty much all
    fantasies and most were made in a brief period back in the '60's or '70's. It's very difficult to find anything ex-
    cept for these particular items. If you do collect these then you'd want to include all erotica and nudes just
    so you can stay awake.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    In the Hibler-Kaplan books introduction it says that the first reference book on So-Called Dollars was written in 1953 by Kenney. A while back I requested and received a copy of the 1953 Kenney book from the ANA Library. Here is what it says about the origins of the term So-Called Dollar and what one is:
    Here is what the cover looks like:
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>What are some examples of HK pieces of "a monetary kind"? >>

The Lesher Dollars
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    You can get a lot of so-called dollars with this HK.image
  • Options
    Hi Andy,

HK listed Mardi Gras Celebration as HK 579 (silver),HK 580 (AL-Bright anodized- should be gold aluminum), HK 581 (Aluminum) from the first issue of Doubloons done by H. A. Sharpe for the Krewe of Rex in 1960. They would fit the catagory of being a so-called dollar as would most Mardi Gras Doubloons that have been issued ever since from many of the Krewes. The other REX issues for that year are as follows;

1960 dated .999 silver
    Undated .999 silver HK-579
    Uniface .999 silver
    Uniface Copper
    Leather
    Plastic Chip
    Gold Aluminum Dated 1960
    Gold Aluminum Undated HK-580
    Plain Aluminum HK-581

All can be included as HK will allow other materials including plastic/fiber if issued in one or more metals.

regards,

dave
  • Options
    I picked this one up last night on TT.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet grade on the Santa Monica piece; they don't usually come that high. I wonder what it will look like in hand? I'm not fond of the coloring in the picture. If it's accurate, I wouldn't be surprised to see some really nice surfaces and luster to make up for it.

jonathan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file