Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts/Comments on these Tokens/Half Cents

The tokens are in pretty good shape. The Half Cents are marginal. What grade and value do you think? Worth going to NCS/NGC?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    The tokens both look nice. The reverse corrosion on the classic head bothers me, as does the rim ding and surface originality of the braided hair. I will not venture a guess as to grade or value or suitability for NCS/NGC...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    The first two are Civil War tokens ("Store Card" and "Patriotic" respectively).

I've not seen this particular Store Card before, but it looks to be AU58 (just a touch of wear on the knee).

The Patriotic token is more common. This one is hard to grade since it has odd color (retoned?). There has never really been any benefit to cleaning CWT's so I want to believe the odd color is from the image. It looks MS63.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    If we are guessing.....

1826 C-1 R-1 VF-30 (kill the green image )

1853 C-1 R-1 F-12
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuld lists the first Civil War token as NY 630 AM-1, Christoph Karl, New York, NY. It is an R-1 token a fairly common. The sharpness grade appears to be AU, but I think it has been cleaned going by the picture.

The second CWT is a patriotic. piece and it's listed as 231/352Aa. You actually have the obverse and reverse reversed in your photo, but you forgiven since this token is really made from two reverse dies. The piece is a R-1 and also common. The sharpness grade apears to be Mint State, but the token also looks like its been cleaned given the tell-tale pink color under the word "COUNTRY."

The 1826 half cent is Cohen variety #1, and it's rated as an R-1. The most interesting thing about this piece is correction that appears at the right of the date. It looks like the die sinker punched a digit too far to the right saw the mistake and corrected it. This variety comes very well struck and many examples are quite sharp. I'd grade this one EF, but it does have porus surfaces and some corrosion on the reverse. The net grade would be something like VF-25.

The 1853 half cent only grades Fine, which really quite worn for one of these coins. These pieces did not see much circulation. There is also a rim nick. Net grading could go as low as VG.

Overall all I would advise sending any of these pieces in to be graded. They are interesting, but they have problems that would result in body bags IMO.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file