Home U.S. Coin Forum

Embossed mint marks on Buffalo nickels--picking up where my last tale left off

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
Some time ago I posted about an embossed mint mark on a 1925-S Buffalo nickel. I emerged from the experience checking the rims of every Buffalo nickel I bought.

Now, I had a lot of Buffalo nickels on hand before that experience. A short time ago, I decided to sell one of them, a 1919-S. I sold it on eBay without thinking much about it, the deal went down smoothly, and life goes on. But...the buyer informed me that the coin had an embossed mint mark! He returned, I refunded, and I find it almost humorous that I now have run across two of these coins. Let me show you both. To reiterate the moral of the story, always check the rims!

Here is the "1919-S." Note the poor soldering job on the rim.
imageimage

Here again is the "1925-S." A more deft job on disguising, but the notches are the giveaway here.
imageimage

Comments

• gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Yes, very scary.image
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you opened a lot of eyes when you first brought this up Guy, Thanks for the education. I know that when I look at a Buff now, I look at the rim automatically.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Guy,

Are you sure the 19-S is an embossed mint mark? The 25-S is without a doubt embossed: a classic example. But the 19-S looks acceptable despite the rough rim.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Although I was aware of these, I have to admit I do not have a firm habit of checking the rim edges on these coins. I'm certainly going to make a mental note to start being more diligent about that...and I'm going to go back through my VF album and see if I've made any expensive mistakes already!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharing your unfortunately-gained experiences and education on embossed mint marks has helped many. Amazing (disgusting is more like it) to me that people go to such extremes to make a dishonest buck!
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    I'll come up with a close-up of the S for your further evaluation this weekend--I'm headed out of town. The rim of the coin does look odd to me--soldered? What else could account for such a rough appearance? The buyer said the other diagnostics of the coin does not match a 1919-S. A very nice guy, he sent the coin right back and we left mutual positive feedback.

Guy
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    Very interesting, Guy. Thanks for the informative posts.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file