Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you pay for an 1890-CC Morgan PCGS MS63?

OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
for an 1890-CC Morgan PCGS MS63 in an old blue holder (no bar code)?
Brian

Comments

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    barcode must be on the reverse ?? depends on the coin......greysheet is 780/850 so somewhere between 605 (bluesheet) and $1200 if it's a PQ+++ coin. I know it's a huge spread but without seeing the coin these are the possibilities imo......
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s impossible to set a price on a coin like this without at least a picture. Even than a picture is no match for seeing the coin in person. If the coin is unattractive with too many marks or ugly spots or toning, it could be worth “bid” or less. If it’s really high end and might be a “shot MS-64” the coin could wholesale for as much as $950.

The bid / ask on the 1890-CC is $780 / $850. In today’s market properly graded PCGS and NGC coins sell for at least between “bid” and “ask” in dealer to dealer transactions. As a retail customer you could expect pay up to $1,000 or even more for a REALLY nice example. MS-64 bid is $2,050. Given that gap, there is pressure to get a bit more for a really nice MS-63.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    I paid $1,600 for this one, but it is a 63 DMPL (bad pic). If you can afford the upgrade, it is worth it!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a PQ MS-63, Fletcher, which is worth a lot more than bid. It's and example of why published prices are guides. They are not numbers that are cast in concrete.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Too much of a natural spread on the coin. It really comes down to the coin. The holder is really irrelevant. (I really hate the OGH... promotion. Sometimes it means it has been off the street for a long time and is hot for an upgrade. Sometimes it means it is par or less for the grade and is damned to the original holder. Real collectors collect coins, not tags.)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    --------------------0------------------------

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file