Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

55 Proof Franklin

Any thoughts on this coin in it's current grade and holder?

Proud to be an American.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unfortunutely jwcameo is not known for his honest photos.

With that said though the coin does look nice and certainly with a PCGS price of well over 1K the asking price (BIN) of $309. would seem, at least on the surface, reasonable.

Again, I'd pass simply based on the seller and his use of manipulation of photos. Then again, if you're a gambling man, he does offer a seven day return.

Good luck either way!

peacockcoins

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It looks like a dcam in any holder if the photos are accurate- I would be concerned about hairlines that don't show in the photo, since I don't have full faith in ICG grading.... but if there's a full return policy, then it might be worth a shot..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I am not a coin expert by any means, (LUCY or Russ could tell you in a flash)

It sems to me the bell is weak for a dcam or cam also it looks like the frost is smudged (maybe pic)--threads about painted on frost.

In an ICG holder by a "knowledgable" seller? If this was a dcam it would already be in a PCGS or NGC holder.

Downside is quite a biit at $309 BIN.

ROOKIE Joe

• Options
    Looks painted! It doesn't seem very reflective for a DCAM. It should be reflecting the slab lines and it's not.
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    i have bought from him before................the coin will not look like the pic. I bought a full 1955 proof set....granted it did have cameo on every coin, obv and rev, but not nearly like what was in the pic.........if you pay normal price and a no premium, could be a nice coin.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It sems to me the bell is weak for a dcam ..."

I agree, and if it's a scan as opposed to a photo, it is probably only a Cameo at best IMO.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭
    You have to think Pr65 cam at best. As was mentioned before, seller has rep for enhancing photos,

I also second the notion that if this coins had any shot at a DCAM, a knowledgable seller would have already cracked it out.

Thr fields also look blurry. (Post slab dip gone bad?)

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file