Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Question... this is serious

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many of you have submitted clad coins that were business strikes to either PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only five or six, I'm not a strong collector of moderns but I needed a few for my Lincoln and 20th Century type set.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    I should be clear on this... US Coins only.

• Options
    Naw, havn't done that, I'm a proof kind of guy... image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am setting some aside right now, but have never in the past. The closest would be Jefferson's, but they are not clad.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Certainly, lots.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Two Ikes that I can remember, and those weren't even mine. There may have been others, but it's not coming to me right now.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    I have only ever submitted IKEs and SBAs. Like any other type of submission, you have your good days and bad days.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two Ikes that I can remember, and those weren't even mine.

That's what they all say. image
  • Options
    Thanks to those that participated and once more ttt to insure that all the precincts in Cook County are recorded...

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    In 1999... probably 250 State Quarters to PCGS... 25 SBA's in proof (made 2 of the 70's)... and 50 MS SBA's (still have a few Denver MS67's I'm keeping).

Since then, probably less than 100 Jeffersons to PCGS and NGC.

I quit submitting a while back and now just keep them raw if found that way.

One of these days, I'll be sending in a ton of stuff to PCGS.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never have and doubt that I ever will. I've got lots of "holes" in my NGC registry type set in the modern era. I just can't make myself buy those common coins in slabs to get a handfull of registry points, and I won't pay a stupid price for such coin in the "finest known" grades.

I too collect only Proof coins (when available) for the modern holes in my collection. The only one I probably will never get is a 1909-VDB cent in Matte Proof. Once more, the price is just too high for me. I have sprung for the 1913 Type 1 Matte Proof Buffalo nickel, however.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just working on taxes last nite...

I spent just over $2500 on grading fees to PCGS last year with about 90% being clad/mods.

I've recouped um

$870 on a Wisonsin Low Leaf MS66
    $450 on a Wisconsin Low Leaf MS65
    $336 on a 2003D Sacagawea MS67
    $280 on a 2003D Sacagawea MS67

I could go on , but I have to go to Lincoln now to teach a man about metal roofs.... I wish someone could teach me about selling coins image

Oh well, I keep trying because the fun is in the attempt, not the success.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    None submitted...........keep buying them though.....................................image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    Just submitted 2 to Anacs. (WV state quarters)

They are kind of my first "midterm" on grading. I am using them to check my grading skills, me and my wife went through are very best state quarters and picked two we felt were strong MS-68s or possibly MS-69's. The way I figure it is that if both coins come in within 2 or 3 points of our estimate then we are right on track. I purchased the ana book on grading and have been trying to pick up info and tips from this board and others.

I hope to get my skills good enough to where I have a better idea of whats undergraded and overgraded.
    Bottom Feeder collector, Happy collector of Moderns
  • Options
    Close to 1000 SBAs and Ikes last year, about 3/4 bulk. Slabs were about one grade lower than I anticipated, live and learn: generally did better with Ikes than with SBAs. Selling the top 10% of these subs will put me ahead of grading costs but the remaining 90% will not yield a significant profit in the near term. So for now, they are inventory: eventually, even MS64-5 Ikes and MS65-6 SBAs may increase in value as raw supplies begin to dry up. Especially Full Talon SBAs.

It is a tough game, period. But that's why I have confidence in lower pop SBAs and Ikes, it's just so difficult to make them.

This year my subs will be somewhat more selective...... Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file