Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could buy 4 late '80's $5 gold modern commems today (1/9/06) @ $528/oz would you do it?

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    I would rather spend a bit more and get a recognized 1 oz bullion coin or bar.

edited: As in .999 fine, 1 oz. The type jewelers might buy on a regular basis. I often see sold on ebay.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    It's better than buying a bullion coin IMO. The 1987's can be had for $125 or a little less plus shipping but it's hard to find some of the common commems for bargins now. There's nothing wrong with buying gold below spot and there's a lot of cool coins in the commems.

You might want to look at the $10 olympic coins in P,D, and S proofs they are low mintage that most don't really realize and can be had for $260 to $275 range.
  • Options
    thanks again. image
  • Options
    Any ideas from the morning crowd?image
  • Options
    No, I always think about things in a "relative value" sort of way; when you think about how gold was ~$265 USD just a few years ago, you have to wonder how much of the current price is just speculation; we've seen house prices in one of my areas 2.5x in 5 years... but at the same time prices for just about everything else has dropped...

A lot of specualtion in:

Gold
    Oil
    Real estate

Price of pizza ~36 years ago, plain large 1 topping: $27 USD
    Price of gold coin 1 oz: $38 USD

Price of pizza now: 1 large Supreme, stuffed crust, hand tossed, deep dish: $5.50 USD
    Price of 1 oz generic gold: $548 USD

Has a very "dot com" feel to it all.

~g
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Comparing Pizza to Gold - now I've seen it all image

So where can I go to get historic Pizza prices? image
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    Price of pizza ~36 years ago, plain large 1 topping: $27 USD

I'm glad I didn't put a dozen of those in my safety deposit box, Big loss........and a little smelly. image sorry OT.
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    I don't know if that helps me with my question, but boy, I'm getting hungry. image
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Yes, of course. If you don't want to hold gold at current prices, then buy those coins at $528 and sell them at $540. If you are willing to buy and hold at current prices, you should be even more at lower prices. I'd buy them if I knew where they are.
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options

<< <i>Comparing Pizza to Gold - now I've seen it all image

So where can I go to get historic Pizza prices? image >>

It's funny, while at the office, we were discussing prices of various items vs. gold; since pizza is something consumed at least once per week (think of the kid's after game party), I like to think it's a good measure since it is bought, somewhat often... we also use gas, cars & clothes.

...I could work at the Fed image

Edit: I also have the "WSJ" factor... times are good when the paper is thick & vice versa...

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    Buy PORKBELLIES only, why you ask, with all the fat people in the world including myself, we always tend to eat to much, so if people stop eating PORKBELLY prices would drop. I don't see peoples stomachs gettong any smaller,so buy PORKBELLIES now!! why the price is still cheap. Or is it POTBELLIES I mean?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In sense I'm "buying" a number of these common mid to late 1980s commemorative gold coins because I'm holding them in my collection instead of selling them. They are all part of a set I've put together of the cherry wood box sets. I think a lot of these sets are becoming an endangered species because many of them are being broken up for bullion and slabbling. There could be a future for these sets, which could be like "poor man's Pan-Pac set in the copper frame," but I dare say that the gold bullion value might be a better bet if you wanted to make money.

I'm not going to sell them because the collector in me wants to keep them. Collectors are illogical beings, but they also often the most knowledgeable beings. For the latter reason, collectors often make money on their collections in the long run while many so-called “investors” end up loosing their shirt.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    NO
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    well if i can get them in their original packaging with aLL THE coa and get them at melt or slightlyless than melt then yes i would buy them
  • Options
    yep !

from what ive seen,you cant touch em for close to melt !

Slabs anyway in 69 or 69 dcam

dont forget 5 eagles are 1/10 oz

5 commems are 1/4 oz !
  • Options
    Depending on which series they are, they might be wildly avaialable on eBay for - basically - melt value, with box. That's especially true of the Constitution proof set, but also of some Olympics, of the Liberty set, etc. I've bought several recently.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Melt bucket items at this gold price.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Basically you are buying gold bullion for less than spot.

I don't see any downside. Of course I'd buy them, in fact I have been picking them off eBay over the last couple months for similar prices.

Sometimes the set gets several bidders and goes a little crazy, oftimes there may only be one or two bids. Those are the ones I've been grabbing.

Buying gold at less than spot is a hard offer to resist.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Many thanks!

I pulled the trigger on 2 (1 Proof & 1 UNC) 1986 $5 gold Statue of Liberty's @ $132 each in original pkg with papers. I like Bill's idea on the sets in the wood boxes though but I couldn't resist these 2 at the price. image
  • Options

<< <i>I pulled the trigger on 2 (1 Proof & 1 UNC) 1986 $5 gold Statue of Liberty's @ $132 each in original pkg with papers. >>

Not quite 2% over melt, so cheaper than buying bullion Eagles (sold by mint to retailers at 3% over melt). Not bad - of course, shipping needs to be factored in.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know if people really start to melt these common commemorative coins in droves, they might be that common any more.

I sold a Statue of Liberty three piece set and the Constitution and 1988 two piece sets at FUN. The buyer wanted no part of the boxes or papers, which means, he's slabbing them (not likely since he didn't look hard enough to grade them), selling them to Shop at Home or throwing them into the melting pot.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>I sold a Statue of Liberty three piece set and the Constitution and 1988 two piece sets at FUN. The buyer wanted no part of the boxes or papers >>

BillJones, I have a Liberty 3-piece set and a 88 Olympics 2-piece set without COAs. If you still have them and would consider sending them to me I'd love to have them... image
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I pulled the trigger on 2 (1 Proof & 1 UNC) 1986 $5 gold Statue of Liberty's @ $132 each in original pkg with papers. >>

Not quite 2% over melt, so cheaper than buying bullion Eagles (sold by mint to retailers at 3% over melt). Not bad - of course, shipping needs to be factored in. >>

That is with s/h. image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not quite 2% over melt, so cheaper than buying bullion Eagles (sold by mint to retailers at 3% over melt). Not bad - of course, shipping needs to be factored in. >>

That is with s/h. image >>

I don't think you'll go wrong, some people tend to pay more for a bullion coin with an PCGS MS69 grade. Now look at the $10 Olympic coins that don't get any respect, many times you can get the W mint mark for less than bullion but the P,D, and S proofs don't seem to bring much more than spot but are hard to find.

1984 Olympaid

1984 P proof mintage- 33,309
    1984D proof mintage- 34,533
    1984S proof mintage- 48,551
    1984W proof mintage- 381,085

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file