Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a VAM....

13»

Comments

• Options
    Nice thread Peaceman... found this one in an album from my Uncles estate. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>1878 VAM 4 >>

Right date, wrong VAM >>

Would that be a VAM-14.17 ? image >>

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner. Not my coin, though. I finally got to add about 12 pictures of the 14.17 obverse to the 8TF Attribution Wizard, and this is one of them.
  • Options
    Thanks... I think this is my 1st post with over 100 replies..... Here's a really cool Peace VAM, the 22' VAM 6.... this coins entire lower reverse is doubled... branches, rays, feathers... image
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    My Long Nocks.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Wayne
  • Options
    Hey Wayne!! Quite Hogging up the Long Nock VAMs!! image
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    I like coins struck with rusty dies!!

Here's a 1897P VAM-6A.

(Thanks for helping me attribute it properly Messydesk)

imageimage

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    The left photo is an 1878 8tf VAM-23. The right photo is an 8tf that is unattributed so I call her VAMpirella. image

imageimage

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    I still love VAMpirellaimage
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Howards:

Please tell me your Hot Lips is an AU58... it's one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. >>

I've had the coin for years raw, and I graded it 58. With the rising prices of Hot Lips decided to see what PCGS would say. It just came back - 58, as you guessed. Pop. 11/0 in PCGS. I was pretty happy with PCGS on that one.

Has anybody here seen the NGC 60 Hot Lips? Is it a battered UNC, a coin where you might actually prefer to own a nice 58?
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The right photo is an 8tf that is unattributed so I call her VAMpirella. image >>

That's got to be one of the neatest VAMS I've ever seen, even if unattributed...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Which 8TF reverse has the VAMpirella fangs? I gotta check my coins!

Assume that is a clash, not die gouges or chips?

Rob
    Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
    http://www.vamworld.com
    and
    http://www.rjrc.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I have a VAM to post

• Options
    WOW 1921-D VAM-1'o' (1oh, not 1-zero). That is one MAJOR tough VAM. I know somebody that's going to PM you soon, and its not me ;-)

What does she grade for my 21-D VAM pop reports?

Rob

edited to fix vam name from 1Ao to just 1o.
    Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
    http://www.vamworld.com
    and
    http://www.rjrc.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's get VAMpirella a proper number, then we'll get the name to stick. I like it. Gonna need more pics, though. Start with the engraved feathers under the wings, LIB, and the recessed area of Liberty's cap.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Has anybody here seen the NGC 60 Hot Lips? Is it a battered UNC, a coin where you might actually prefer to own a nice 58?"

Howards:

Here's a little something for you:

I was fortunate enough to handle this coin for a good dealer friend who cherrypicked it and had it graded (first try at NGC got the MS60). This coin was only in an MS60 holder for about 30 days, however. The buyer I found for it wanted it tried for cross at PCGS... which gave it a DNC and said they would only put it in an AU58 holder. My buyer said AU58 was fine, so it came out of the NGC-60 holder and went into the PCGS-58 holder. I believe the coin actually was mint state, but the lustre was not excellent (normal for the date), nor was the strike (ditto) or the eye appeal (ditto again). It was later put into a major PCGS Registry set, which was sold at auction not very long thereafter.

By the way, the last AU58 Hot Lips I have a record of selling was in January 2005, when a PCGS-58 sold for $8,912 in a Heritage auction.

Yours may be the nicest example of the variety I've ever seen.

One more thing about the MS60 coin... what looks like a scratch on the lower/middle reverse is actually a huge die crack that extended from rim to rim. I've never seen that crack on any other Hot Lips.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Nine grand for a AU-58 Hot lips...... image Looks like I have a new coin I'll be looking to cherrypick..... image Right now you can buy 6 of them on Ebay.... ? Doesn't seem exclusive... ?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1885 CC VAM-2
    1882 CC VAM-6A
    1890 CC VAM-3
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Peaceman:

Yeah, they're always available in lower grades, but in AU they're just damn expensive. Kind of like 1893-S, huh? image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I guess..... It's a lot different for Peace $ VAM's.... I cant think of one Peace $ VAM right now that has such a huge difference in price with many AU coins available at all times..... image
  • Options
    VAMpirella, Hot Lips, Long Nocks.... you folks are making me drool.

Here's a 21-D I couldn't attribute.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    What does she grade for my 21-D VAM pop reports?

Rob

>>

Sorry for the delay... My wife hijacked the computer to play Spider image

I posted this earlier on another thread, Dennis thought you might come across it.

Here it is again:

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Has anybody here seen the NGC 60 Hot Lips? Is it a battered UNC, a coin where you might actually prefer to own a nice 58?"

Howards:

Here's a little something for you:

I was fortunate enough to handle this coin for a good dealer friend who cherrypicked it and had it graded (first try at NGC got the MS60). This coin was only in an MS60 holder for about 30 days, however. The buyer I found for it wanted it tried for cross at PCGS... which gave it a DNC and said they would only put it in an AU58 holder. My buyer said AU58 was fine, so it came out of the NGC-60 holder and went into the PCGS-58 holder. I believe the coin actually was mint state, but the lustre was not excellent (normal for the date), nor was the strike (ditto) or the eye appeal (ditto again). It was later put into a major PCGS Registry set, which was sold at auction not very long thereafter.

By the way, the last AU58 Hot Lips I have a record of selling was in January 2005, when a PCGS-58 sold for $8,912 in a Heritage auction.

Yours may be the nicest example of the variety I've ever seen.
    >>

DennisH,

Thank you very much for showing me the photo. I was wondering if the MS-60 coin would be a PCGS-60. Now I know. Hard to see in the photo - there's no really obvious wear that I see, but it makes me wonder if NGC thought it was mint state, why only MS-60, not something higher? If you assume it's mint state, I would have called it a 62 or 63 from the photo.

The die crack on the NGC coin is interesting.

The Heritage auction for nearly $9K was what prompted me to send my coin in to PCGS. I was pretty sure it was at least a 55, but I didn't know if PCGS would give me a 58. Needless to say I was very hapy with the result.

I bought this coin raw on eBay a few years ago. It wasn't a cherrypick, but I was the only bidder and it was cheap.

Thanks again!

• Options
    Thought I'd revive this thread with a cool pic a buddy sent me.... now this is exciting to me.... image
  • Options
    Holy crap! I'd say more but I'm late for work!
  • Options
    Norm, I think you said it all... HOLY CRAP!

That is a stunning cud, and VERY exciting. Where did you find it?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....Is that Rob's MERCI 1921-P cud discovery? I recall when he found that, I saw it
    at the SSDC meeting in Baltimore a few years ago.

This one may be a tad more "advanced" though.
  • Options
    According to my friend.... Eric Justice owns it... and pd a premium for it.........

YA THINK!
  • Options
    That is one hella sweet cud!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    Please tell Eric he totally sucks. That one is a blow-away coin.

I've added that vam to my want list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file